Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,241 members, 7,780,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:12 PM

Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) (34039 Views)

Aisha Buhari Visits The Olubadan Of Ibadan In His Palace. Pic / Throwback Photo Of Bukola Saraki & His Dad In The 60s / Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 01, 2013
GenBuhari: Nigeria is not the only country with population explosion, yet other countries still managed to progress.
Stop making excuses.
Our problem was / is corruption.

Corruption is certainly a problem, but so is population explosion! Nigeria's population growth was not matched by concomitant growth in economic capacity - unlike countries like China and India. In any case, I don't think corruption is the only reason for the economic stagnation (or retrogression) that has occurred alongside our alarming population growth.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Sagamite(m): 9:43am On Sep 01, 2013
Adm. Yamamoto:

These are the companies Lagos, Oyo, Ondo, Osun, Ekiti and Ogun State should be empowering by patronizing them and all Nigerians indeed should be patronizing Leyland! They are located in Ibadan, in the SW employing our citizens and natives. They should be well encouraged. The company should also make inroads into the Northern part of Nigeria, MB, ND and lastly the SE. They should make every effort to take advantage of the huge markets West of Africa, which is huge!

So you mean state governments should potentially be wasting public funds by patronising goods because they are made locally and irrespective of quality and reliability?
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Sagamite(m): 10:14am On Sep 01, 2013
RedReact: 1966 marked the beginning of downward spiral of growth in Nigeria in its totality, but I still believed that we were not ready for independence when we got it.
If Nigeria's independence came after the order of SA, we wont be where we are today; although kudos should be given to our fathers who fought for the independence of the nation. Not only did they fight, but also had vision for a great country that would thrive and compete with other countries in the world. What a pity that we have less visionaries in Nigeria today!
The country has great potentials to be greater than the 60s era, and I believe a great Nigeria will be seen again, but we need servant-leader politicians and not pocket-focused politicians, that have docked our political terrain today.
God bless Nigeria and she will be great again.

Which fathers had great vision? grin grin grin grin grin

Abeg, my friend, don't be fooled by nonsensical legendary memes.

If you are talking about our leading father figures upon independence, they had limited vision for Nigeria.

Awolowo - Arguably the most visionary, but his vision was really limited to his tribe. His efforts were mainly impactful on his tribe (arguably mainly because that is where he ruled) but he applied a serious injustice to the SE after the war. He also used public funds for his party politics.

Ahmadu Bello - Arguably the most accepted by his people. That is possible because of the 'GRAND master-servant' culture of the area he came from that still exists till today. He also had a morbid hate for Igbos and famously said he would rather employ white people to Northern public service than employ other non-Northern Nigerians even if they were qualified.

Nnamdi Azikiwe - Arguably the most nationalistic, he was far more ready to work together as a nation. That said, he appeared to be a flip-flop that would switch to any possibility that makes him still relevant rather than a man of set principles or convictions. It is also difficult to believe he did not know of the 1966 coup.

Furthermore, all these guys turned a blind eye and let corruption and election fraud flourish under their leadership. They are not visionaries in my view.

Nigeria was going downhill right from 1st of October 1960.

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by RedReact: 2:06pm On Sep 01, 2013
^^^
We still meant the same thin, though under different perspectives. Truly speaking, the independence was a big mistake at that time; but we can never rule out the regional competition taking place at the time of those men.
Believe me, Awo, Zik, and Bello had their flaws and negativities, but still did well for their respective regions. Had that competition been maintained, things might not have deteriorated as we have it now. That independence was just a big mistake in the history of the country. Had it been that the trio were imprisoned for the sake of freedom, or Nigeria's case was like that of SA, they and their followers would have sat up and fought for the common cause and played a true nationalistic game for the sake of the country, like Mandela and Tutu of SA, and got a built and sane Nigeria as against the reverse of what is experienced today.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by eaglechild: 2:19pm On Sep 01, 2013
primeson1:

Liberty Stadium , the first
stadium in Africa. The first citadel of higher
learning, University of Ibadan (formerly the
University College of Ibadan), and the first
teaching hospital in Nigeria, University College
Hospital , UCH, were both built in this ancient
but, highly important city. Ibadan is also
home to the legendary Shooting Stars FC -- a
professional Football Club.

source: http://www.world66.com/africa/nigeria/ibadan
Do you seriously believe that Africa was such a dark continent, that a substandard stadium like that was the first?
Below is a link with a list of stadiums in Egypt.
Note that there is one with a capacity of about 20,000 in Alexandria built in 1929 when Ibadan was still dotted with thatch houses.
Stop making bogus claims,
Pls.
http://www.worldstadiums.com/middle_east/countries/egypt.shtml
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Sagamite(m): 2:25pm On Sep 01, 2013
RedReact: ^^^
We still meant the same thin, though under different perspectives. Truly speaking, the independence was a big mistake at that time; but we can never rule out the regional competition taking place at the time of those men.
Believe me, Awo, Zik, and Bello had their flaws and negativities, but still did well for their respective regions. Had that competition been maintained, things might not have deteriorated as we have it now. That independence was just a big mistake in the history of the country. Had it been that the trio were imprisoned for the sake of freedom, or Nigeria's case was like that of SA, they and their followers would have sat up and fought for the common cause and played a true nationalistic game for the sake of the country, like Mandela and Tutu of SA, and got a built and sane Nigeria as against the reverse of what is experienced today.

Point taken.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 01, 2013
GenBuhari: Nigeria is not the only country with population explosion, yet other countries still managed to progress.
Stop making excuses.
Our problem was / is corruption.

no mind them.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 3:19pm On Sep 01, 2013
eaglechild:
Do you seriously believe that Africa was such a dark continent, that a substandard stadium like that was the first?
Below is a link with a list of stadiums in Egypt.
Note that there is one with a capacity of about 20,000 in Alexandria built in 1929 when Ibadan was still dotted with thatch houses.
Stop making bogus claims,
Pls.
http://www.worldstadiums.com/middle_east/countries/egypt.shtml

You can rage, go crazy and even kill yourself with all your petty hate, bitterness and jealousy, Liberty is in the history books including your county's history and publications as the first stadium in Black Africa.

Just too sad how vagrants and people like you with lack of self worth and belonging belittle and deny your own pride and great history just to give to another country because of hate and bitterness.

This is why you people don't progress, this is why your villages are still caves.

Ibadan remains in our history books as a pioneer city with many firsts in Africa, something you can not say about your hell hole combined... That right there is your reality and downfall...

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 01, 2013
agbameta:

You can rage, go crazy and even kill yourself with all your petty hate, bitterness and jealousy, Liberty is in the history books including your county's history and publications as the first stadium in Black Africa.

Just too sad how vagrants and people like you with lack of self worth and belonging belittle and deny your own pride and great history just to give to another country because of hate and bitterness.

This is why you people don't progress, this is why your villages are still caves.

Ibadan remains in our history books as a pioneer city with many firsts in Africa, something you can not say about your hell hole combined... That right there is your reality and downfall...
If ibadan is d 1st,,,and so damn what,,,d Indians were d 1st to settle in America,does dat mean they rule america?...arrogant human being
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 3:57pm On Sep 01, 2013
lygn19:
If ibadan is d 1st,,,and so damn what,,,d Indians were d 1st to settle in America,does dat mean they rule america?...arrogant human being

There is nothing arrogant about being proud of your country's rich history and heritage.. You villagers are juts too socially backward and tribally odious to see any good in yourselves and other people hence your incapability to achieve anything worthy in life..

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 01, 2013
agbameta:

There is nothing arrogant about being proud of your country's rich history and heritage.. You villagers are juts too socially backward and tribally odious to see any good in yourselves and other people hence your incapability to achieve anything worthy in life..
LoL...don't make me laugh pls...when did d yoruba's bcom achievers,,,sha its tru,,,u ppl achieved a lot no wonda in ibadan d only buildings u see der dat re worth looking at re d ones built during d colonial era...u ppl really achieved a lot in giving Ibadan Nigeria's largest slum dwelling... We re so proud of u
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by eaglechild: 5:49pm On Sep 01, 2013
agbameta:

Eiyaah
This one pepper you well.
I simply provided a link to dispute your bogus claims and you go berserk.
All I need you to do is stop perpetrating the lies your fathers told you to your future generation.
Sorry to burst your bubble.
I can see you've cunningly changed it to black Africa, if I provide another link now you'll change it to West Africa, and then Nigeria, then Oyo state.
My history books did not tell me any such thing.
I'm a fan of correcting misinformation.
You never know who is reading.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 5:53pm On Sep 01, 2013
eaglechild:
[s]Eiyaah
All I need you to do is stop perpetrating the lies your fathers told you to your future generation.
I can see you've cunningly changed it to black Africa, if I provide another link now you'll change it to West Africa, and then Nigeria, then Oyo state.
My history books did not tell me any such thing.
I'm a fan of correcting misinformation.
You never know who is reading.[/s]

All you did was put on display your ignorance and lack of self worth which is very synonymous with you backward and acrimonious village types.

It is your only portion in life to be bitter, angry and stay ignorant..
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 5:54pm On Sep 01, 2013
eaglechild:
Eiyaah

grin grin grin lol

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 5:58pm On Sep 01, 2013
lygn19: [s]
LoL...don't make me laugh pls...when did d yoruba's bcom achievers,,,sha its tru,,,u ppl achieved a lot no wonda in ibadan d only buildings u see der dat re worth looking at re d ones built during d colonial era...u ppl really achieved a lot in giving Ibadan Nigeria's largest slum dwelling... We re so proud of u[/s]

Another ignorant rural dweller rant.

Shouldn't be asking yourself where your village and entire generation was when Ibadan was making history? In fact, where are you today in the scheme of things?

Pedestal clowns..
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 6:01pm On Sep 01, 2013
KEEP FOOLING YOURSELVES HERE.

WHAT IS IN 1960s IBADAN THAT IS SO GREAT COMPARED TO TODAY? The place looks far more underdeveloped than today's Ibadan.

In fact on the first picture you can see people walking around BAREFOOT in front of Cocoa house and Leventis (apparently the only two modern structures in the entire city, take away UI).

You wouldn't see that today, when things have supposedly ''gone downhill''.

SO I REALLY DON'T SEE WHAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT ANY OF THESE PICS. NONE OF YOU COULD SURVIVE FOR A DAY IN THE HARDSHIP OF THOSE TIMES. SHOWING US COCOA HOUSE AS IF EVERY IBADAN MAN LIVED AND WORKED THERE IS USELESS. ANY PICS OF WHERE THE PEOPLE LIVED?

OR DID THEY ALL LIVE IN LEVENTIS?

RIDICULOUS.

I repeat: Life TODAY in Ibadan and in most places in Nigeria is miles better than life in the 1950s and 60s Nigeria. In those days, only the very rich could afford a car. Most people rode around on bicycles. There were virtually no roads, no expressways, electricity was limited to less than 1/80th of the population, and illiteracy was at 88% (compared to 30% today). So count your damn blessings!!!!

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2013
Rossikk: KEEP FOOLING YOURSELVES HERE.

WHAT IS IN 1960s IBADAN THAT IS SO GREAT COMPARED TO TODAY? The place looks far more underdeveloped than today's Ibadan.

You wouldn't see that today, when things have supposedly ''gone downhill''.

Regardless of your idiocy, Ibadan is still in our history books as a pioneer city with so many first in Nigeria and Africa record, that you can not take away..

You are of course entitled to your ignorant, warped and village opinion..

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 6:11pm On Sep 01, 2013
agbameta:

The thread says Ibadan in the 60s, not Ibadan in 2013.

As usual, reading and comprehension failed you.

It is YOU that lacks comprehension. The point is that there is nothing to romanticise about 1960s Ibadan. The place was even more neglected and underdeveloped than it is today. Posting images of cocoa house and Leventis is useless.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 6:13pm On Sep 01, 2013
agbameta:

You are of course entitled to your ignorant, warped and village opinion..

I don't blame you. Afterall someone granted a motorpark tout like you internet access. Any pics of 1960s Ibadan apart from Cocoa House, Leventis, UI and Mapo Hall?
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 6:15pm On Sep 01, 2013
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1280767_2342392389_02b44c6249_o_jpg8a22a133bac2d24bc8d80cce2f9a7276

It takes a really sad person to equate this image of colonial neglect and infrastructural decay with ''progress''. Where are the sidewalks? Where are the road markings? The traffic lights? The street lights? Why have the people got on no shoes? And this is supposed to have been the nicest part of town. In today's Ibadan you will see a better image than this, so why the romanticization of the colonial past? In fact looking at this picture you can see where all our problems began.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 6:18pm On Sep 01, 2013
Rossikk:

It is YOU that lacks comprehension. The point is that there is nothing to romanticise about 1960s Ibadan. The place was even more neglected and underdeveloped than it is today. Posting images of cocoa house and Leventis is useless.

Only according to folks like you with zero sense of history and flawed sense of worth. Any reason why we should not acknowledge and romanticist the only city in our country with so many first in Nigeria and Africa? Is this not something to be proud of regardless of it's present condition today?

Btw, I said reading and comprehension failed you and it's failing you..
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 6:23pm On Sep 01, 2013
Rossikk:
[s]
I don't blame you. Afterall someone granted a motorpark tout like you internet access. Any pics of 1960s Ibadan apart from Cocoa House, Leventis, UI and Mapo Hall?[/s]

You can rant and rampage till eternity, it still doesn't alter the fact that this city remains a trail blazer and still holds your country's record in so many firsts in Nigeria and Africa. This is something your ignorance and stupidity can not take away..

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 6:26pm On Sep 01, 2013
agbameta:

Only according to folks like you with zero sense of history and flawed sense of worth. Any reason why we should not acknowledge and romanticist the only city in our country with so many first in Nigeria and Africa? Is this not something to be proud of regardless of it's present condition today?

Btw, I said reading and comprehension failed you and it's failing you..

You're more interested in counting the crumbs that fell on Ibadan's table than on what it (and the rest of Nigeria) should have been like in the 60s, given all the resources of the nation looted by colonialists. Keep counting your crumbs.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 6:27pm On Sep 01, 2013
agbameta:

You can rant and rampage till eternity, it still doesn't alter the fact that this city remains a trail blazer and still holds your country's record in so many firsts in Nigeria and Africa. This is something your ignorance and stupidity can not take away..

You're busy talking about ''firsts'' while cities like Uyo, Ilorin, Enugu and Calabar, are attracting investors and tourists alike, owing to their development strides. Pitiful.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 6:29pm On Sep 01, 2013
Rossikk: www.nairaland.com/attachments/1280767_2342392389_02b44c6249_o_jpg8a22a133bac2d24bc8d80cce2f9a7276

It takes a really sad person to equate this image of colonial neglect and infrastructural decay with ''progress''. Where are the sidewalks? Why have the people got on no shoes? And this is supposed to have been the nicest part of town. In today's Ibadan you will see a better image than this, so why the romanticization of the colonial past?

So we see some kids in the pictures without shoes? So fcukking what? Facts remains that this city built your first locally built Skyscraper?

Your dummy and worthless president rested his political campaigns and utterances on the fact that he had no shoes, so he should go and commit suicide?

What a self defeatist and insecure loser you are...
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 6:32pm On Sep 01, 2013
agbameta:

So we see some kids in the pictures without shoes? So fcukking what? Facts remains that this city built your first locally built Skyscraper?

Your dummy and worthless president rested his political campaigns and utterances on the fact that he had no shoes, so he should go and commit suicide?

What a self defeatist and insecure loser you are...

Please take your miserable, tribalist, spear-chucking, spiteful, ignorant, low IQ, uneducated, school dropout, worthless self back into the stinking market pee-hole you sneaked out of.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 6:33pm On Sep 01, 2013
Rossikk:

You're busy talking about ''firsts'' while cities like Uyo, Ilorin, Enugu and Calabar, are attracting investors and tourists alike, owing to their development strides. Pitiful.

List of Nigerian states by GDP

The following table presents a listing of Nigeria's 36 states ranked in order of their total GDP (PPP) in 2007.[1]

Rank State PPP GDP (2010;
in millios
of USD)
1 Lagos State US$33,6790
2 Rivers State US$21,073
3 Delta State US$16,749
4 Oyo State US$16,121

Any of the villages you mentioned appeared in the top 4 or above Oyo state?

There economy is decades behind Oyo state and Oyo so what are you pulling out of your ignorant asss..

You are even dumber than I though..
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 6:35pm On Sep 01, 2013
agbameta:

Any of the villages you mentioned appeared in the top 4 or above Oyo state?

There economy is decades behind Oyo state and Oyo so what are you pulling out of your ignorant asss..

You are even dumber than I though..

What has GDP got to do with the quality of life and infrastructure in cities?
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 6:42pm On Sep 01, 2013
Rossikk:
[s]
Please take your miserable, tribalist, spear-chucking, hateful, ignorant, low IQ, uneducated, school dropout, worthless self back into the stinking market pee-hole you sneaked out of.[/s]

You are a worthless jackass who's willing to throw is own country and history under the bus just to satisfy his bigoted, tribal and ignorant soul...
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 6:46pm On Sep 01, 2013
Rossikk:

What has GDP got to do with the quality of life and infrastructure in cities?

Rossikk:

Ode hide and seek, what's quality of life got to do with what you posted?

Or you just cowardly and conveniently moved your goal post to quality of life after smashing your ignorant investments and development rubbish...?

You are too mentally corrupt and deficient for your own good and for some reason, I have your time today.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by miky(m): 6:56pm On Sep 01, 2013
juman:

Bata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When nigeria was a better country.

Oh nigeria!!!

yeah right, look at the those pics and you can see the very bad roads, kids with no shoes, and fewer than 5 cars on the street.. you can magically transport yourself back to those better days then..

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 6:56pm On Sep 01, 2013
Africa: 'Lagos, Ibadan, Among Africa's Top Cities to Watch'

As attention shifts to emerging markets as investment destinations, following the economic downturn in the West, a new report has listed two Nigerian cities - Lagos and Ibadan - that will make up 10 leading African cities to watch for investment inflow.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201203191240.html

Any of the villages your dumb assss mentioned part of the investment flow destinations listed up there?

Dumb ignorant villager oshi buruku...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kaduna Inland Dry Port : A Look At The Activities Of Nigeria's First Dry Port / Chris Ngige's Visit To Abia State (Photos) / Ifeanyi Ubah calls for Adeosun, Emefiele to resign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.