Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) (34100 Views)

Aisha Buhari Visits The Olubadan Of Ibadan In His Palace. Pic / Throwback Photo Of Bukola Saraki & His Dad In The 60s / Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 01, 2013
Rossike, you're not putting things in proper perspective, if Ibadan had maintained its growth pattern of the 60s, I believe things would be much better than it is now.

Just because we now have much roads now or more millionaires today does not in any way mean we are socially better than those back then.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 01, 2013
Rossikk:

What has GDP got to do with the quality of life and infrastructure in cities?

help me out!
D GDP dey dont make themselves.
Leeches
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Sagamite(m): 8:40pm On Sep 01, 2013
ngozievergreen:

help me out!
D GDP dey dont make themselves.
Leeches

Who makes the GDP then?

Who are they leeching on?

Please educate me.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 8:59pm On Sep 01, 2013
Definition of 'Gross Domestic Product - GDP'
The monetary value of all the finished goods and services produced within a country's borders in a specific time period, though GDP is usually calculated on an annual basis. It includes all of private and public consumption, government outlays, investments and exports less imports that occur within a defined territory.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/gdp.asp
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by dynatress: 9:43pm On Sep 01, 2013
Nigeria when looked like it was heading somewhere until there was a standtill! oh Nigeria who will deliver you from this ruins!
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Abagworo(m): 9:53pm On Sep 01, 2013
dynatress: Nigeria when looked like it was heading somewhere until there was a standtill! oh Nigeria who will deliver you from this ruins!

I've always been criticized for saying the truth about we black people. We seem to hate decency and progress. If the Brits had stayed in Nigeria till the 90s like they did in SA, Ibadan would have been like Durban. Look at Port-Harcourt, Ibadan and Kano which are Nigerias other cities of over 2million and you'll weep for Nigeria. Even the part of Lagos that is sight to behold remains the area developed by the colonialists.

However all hope is not lost as APC seems to be a focused party at least in infrastructure and people oriented leadership. I'm sure if APC takes over the helms of affairs in Nigeria, positive changes will be experienced. Abuja is an evidence that it is possible.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 01, 2013
Abagworo:

I've always been criticized for saying the truth about we black people. We seem to hate decency and progress. If the Brits had stayed in Nigeria till the 90s like they did in SA, Ibadan would have been like Durban. Look at Port-Harcourt, Ibadan and Kano which are Nigerias other cities of over 2million and you'll weep for Nigeria. Even the part of Lagos that is sight to behold remains the area developed by the colonialists.

However all hope is not lost as APC seems to be a focused party at least in infrastructure and people oriented leadership. I'm sure if APC takes over the helms of affairs in Nigeria, positive changes will be experienced. Abuja is an evidence that it is possible.

What exactly makes APC progressive when it is comprised of the same elements that made PDP and other prior parties?

Same question is extended to APGA, Labor Party and the rest of them.

IMO Nigeria needs to get rid of 90% of its political elite to progress.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Abagworo(m): 10:14pm On Sep 01, 2013
nnenna.1:

What exactly makes APC progressive when it is comprised of the same elements that made PDP and other prior parties?

Ideology affects the human psych when one belongs to any association. In our universities we have the confraternities which shapes students performance depending on the individual orientation even when both grew up together. Same with Churches where 2 brothers indifferent Churches get their individual orientation changed.

In a nutshell I believe the orientation of APC as progressive initiates any politician that joins it into a cult of good performance. Some PDP members have been good but the party has been a stumbling block. Look at Amaechi and all his good works but the 2 major federal roads(East-West Road and PH-Enugu Expressway) that cross his State are death traps. Even the Port-Harcourt Aba highway that has only about 8 to 10km in Rivers State will take you more than an hour from Eleme junction to Obigbo, a distance of 4km.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Sagamite(m): 10:39pm On Sep 01, 2013
Abagworo:

Ideology affects the human psych when one belongs to any association. In our universities we have the confraternities which shapes students performance depending on the individual orientation even when both grew up together. Same with Churches where 2 brothers indifferent Churches get their individual orientation changed.

In a nutshell I believe the orientation of APC as progressive initiates any politician that joins it into a cult of good performance. Some PDP members have been good but the party has been a stumbling block. Look at Amaechi and all his good works but the 2 major federal roads(East-West Road and PH-Enugu Expressway) that cross his State are death traps. Even the Port-Harcourt Aba highway that has only about 8 to 10km in Rivers State will take you more than an hour from Eleme junction to Obigbo, a distance of 4km.

Beautifully said.

There is a Fashola-effect in the party (maybe soon to be Fashola-Oshiomole effect), i.e. tangible development and modernisation. Everyone expects you to be Fasholaristic when you win an election under the ACN barge (now APC). The leadership understand this expectation is fundamental to its success against a bigger and more powerful PDP, so they put higher pressure on their winners. Not achieving this unique effect and they will be annihilated in elections because Nigerians, when given poor choices, are AGIP supporters. AGIP = Any Government In Power.

PDP has the Silverback Gorilla Jonathan effect, i.e. unashamedly business-as-usual leadership. You are an exception like Amaechi if you derail from it. It is okay as a PDP leader to be like Bode George, Anenih, Ibori, Uduaghan and Alams. You will be very rewarded in the PDP for that.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 11:22pm On Sep 01, 2013
django1: Rossike, you're not putting things in proper perspective, if Ibadan had maintained its growth pattern of the 60s, I believe things would be much better than it is now.

WHAT growth pattern?

I just don't see ANY ''growth pattern'' in those images. Apart from Cocoa house, Leventis, and Mapo Hall, what else was there? Pls don't mention UI or IITA etc. Schools.

Where were the roads? Any expressways? How many hospitals were in Ibadan in 1960? How many kids attended school? I mean, if you see the figures and stats for that period you'll be shocked at the underdevelopment of the period. So showing Cocoa house is useless. The standard of living of people then was very low. Infant mortality rate in the 60s in Nigeria was 260 per 1000. That figure is down to 72 per 1000 today. Today that is supposedly ''bad'' and the 60s ''good''. Point is, why are we deluding ourselves?

Just because we now have much roads now or more millionaires today does not in any way mean we are socially better than those back then.

Not just more roads and more millionaires. Today we have more middle class people, more ordinary folk like you and I who can afford things like TV, fridge, cars, phone etc. In 1950s and 60s Nigeria, only the very rich, tiny minority could afford those items, which were common to people all over the world at the time.

And the sad thing was that no one thought of leaving the country for ''greener pastures'' abroad. Why? Because with a mere 12% literacy rate at independence, most Nigerians were too illiterate and poor to even contemplate such a move.

Today, most Nigerians are educated - thanks to the post-colonial Nigerian govt investment in mass education - so we have that option. So things are a LOT BETTER TODAY in many ramifications.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 01, 2013
nnenna.1:

help me out!
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 11:26pm On Sep 01, 2013
Rossikk:

WHAT growth pattern?

I just don't see ANY ''growth pattern'' in those images. Apart from Cocoa house, Leventis, and Mapo Hall, what else was there? Pls don't mention UI or IITA etc. Schools.

Where were the roads? Any expressways? How many hospitals were in Ibadan in 1960? How many kids attended school? I mean, if you see the figures and stats for that period you'll be shocked at the underdevelopment of the period. So showing Cocoa house is useless. The standard of living of people then was very low. Infant mortality rate in the 60s in Nigeria was 260 per 1000. That figure is down to 72 per 1000 today. Today that is supposedly ''bad'' and the 60s ''good''. Point is, why are we deluding ourselves?

Not just more roads and more millionaires. We have more middle class people, more ordinary folk who can afford things like TV, fridge, cars etc. Back in the 50s and 60s only the very rich could afford these items, which were common to people all over the world at the time.

And the sad thing was that no one thought of leaving the country for ''greener pastures'' abroad. Why? Because with a mere 12% literacy rate at independence, most Nigerians were too illiterate and poor to even contemplate such a move.

Today, most Nigerians are literate - thanks to the post-colonial Nigerian govt investment in mass education - so we have that option. So things are a LOT BETTER TODAY in many ramifications.

help me give those folks more education.
They need it
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 11:31pm On Sep 01, 2013
I've to agree with Rossikk on this one. There's absolutely nothing special in those pics for the nostalgic feelings most of the people on this thread are feeling.

Also, to those attributing the structures in those pictures to the colonialists, do I need to remind you that the brits had absolutely nothing to do with the development of Ibadan? Ibadan went to sleep because of the type of people they vote for over there - too many riff-raff and regressive folks. Awolowo laid a foundation, rather than consolidate on that, they all sold their conscience to uneducated plonkers for a plate of Amala.

After reading about Ibadan, the people, and the politics - I can't help but shake my head at how they single-handedly destroyed Awolowo's legacy!

Btw, I'm Yoruba and my mum is from Ibadan. But Ijebu and Lagos are my heritage! cool

More:

I'll speak the truth and I don't care about whose ox is gored. You lot can blame the military regime and corruption all you want but Kano and Kaduna also went through the same torrid time, yet they are all still better off than Ibadan. Ibadan people need to start taking responsibilities for their own actions and, stand up and be counted. You destroyed your own city with the people you elected/selected to lord over you, period!
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by delpee(f): 11:48pm On Sep 01, 2013
Ibadan was nice and still growing up till the 70s. Military rule and subsequent chop I chop mentality of the politicians ruined everything. I enjoyed my holidays in those days. Kingsway, Leventis, UTC,Bata, Dugbe/Gbagi, Lebanese shops etc, the libaries (compelled by dad) were regular places to visit during the holidays, The visits to UI/UCH to see my egbons enjoying fine meals in a peaceful and beautiful environment spurred one to work harder in school. The picnics at the zoo and Agodi gardens - so much fun, The PDP /Adedibu years added to the loss of values and slow progress.
Things seem to be improving now judging by my recent visit. So many new layouts with beautiful buildings,clean environment and good roads. I wish them well.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 11:53pm On Sep 01, 2013
Abagworo:

I've always been criticized for saying the truth about we black people. We seem to hate decency and progress. If the Brits had stayed in Nigeria till the 90s like they did in SA, Ibadan would have been like Durban.

Stop thinking like a SLAVE. You claim that ''If the Brits had stayed in Nigeria till the 90s like they did in SA, Ibadan would have been like Durban''. But Durban was ALREADY ''like Durban'' by the 1960s and 1950s. So why wasn't Ibadan like Durban then too? Was it not under the same British? (See image of Durban 1950s)

http://www.fad.co.za/Resources/album/wade/Scan10039.jpg

The British, by 1960, had already been ruling Nigeria for 63 years uninterrupted, and yet Ibadan still looked like a big village after their rule. So why would an extra decade or two of British rule have changed anything?

You need to understand that the reason Nigeria was still underdeveloped after 63 years of British rule (unlike South Africa) was that the British decided that since there was no substantial white resident population in Nigeria, it was not worth developing. So instead of re-investing the proceeds of the resources which the nation exported, back into the country, as was done in South Africa, the colonial govt in Nigeria simply looted the proceeds and siphoned to Britain.

Even the part of Lagos that is sight to behold remains the area developed by the colonialists.

Sure. They siphoned all the nation's money and built up their little elite colonial enclave away from the masses they stole from, and you praise them for that? Stop thinking like a slave!
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 11:58pm On Sep 01, 2013
ShymmexLion: I've to agree with Rossikk on this one. There's absolutely nothing special in those pics for the nostalgic feelings most of the people on this thread are feeling.

Also, to those attributing the structures in those pictures to the colonialists, do I need to remind you that the brits had absolutely nothing to do with the development of Ibadan? Ibadan went to sleep because of the type of people they vote for over there - too many riff-raff and regressive folks. Awolowo laid a foundation, rather than consolidate on that, they all sold their conscience to uneducated plonkers for a plate of Amala.

After reading about Ibadan, the people, and the politics - I can't help but shake my head at how they single-handedly destroyed Awolowo's legacy!

Btw, I'm Yoruba and my mum is from Ibadan. But Ijebu and Lagos are my heritage! cool

How do you reconcile agreeing with that lack of self worth discrediting what Awolowo did and at the same time praise Awolowo and knowledge his legacy?

The first Highrise in Nigeria was built by Nigerians, it was built by the Western Regional government under the ledership of Awolowo, it was built with our own Cocoa funds and not British money.

This achievement was ours, it was Nigerian, it was a tenplate to show the rest of Nigeria and Africa what we are capable of doing and what unfortunately we were not able to replicate all over Ibadan itself or in the rest of the SW and Nigeria in general.

How do you support denying yourself possitve aspects of your own histriy, your own local and indegenous achievments like beaing able to score so many first in Africa?

Do you think if it was folks from other countries like Ghana, they'll discount and belitle their own source of pride on your behalf?

Regardless of our shorcormings, we can not bastardly relegate our ousrselves and throw our history and ride in the gutter.

We did not see the second, the third, the fourth, the fifth or even the 100th or even taller highrise because the government and the people responsible for these accomplishments was terminated and power was sent to folks without the region's interests in their hearts, it was transfered to incompetent people and thoughtless military admnistration.

Fortunetely for us, the region is back in the hands of capable and respomnsible people determined to restore these infrastructures and do more for coming generarions.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Sagamite(m): 12:04am On Sep 02, 2013
Rossikk:

WHAT growth pattern?

Not just more roads and more millionaires. Today we have more middle class people, more ordinary folk like you and I who can afford things like TV, fridge, cars, phone etc. In 1950s and 60s Nigeria, only the very rich, tiny minority could afford those items, which were common to people all over the world at the time.

Today, most Nigerians are educated - thanks to the post-colonial Nigerian govt investment in mass education - so we have that option. So things are a LOT BETTER TODAY in many ramifications.

I am sure if you go roughly 150 years ago, there were no roads and expressways or hospitals or kids attending schools in much of the Western world too. Neither were there many people that could call themselves middle-class or afford white goods.

Most people did not think of leaving Nigeria back then for greener pastures because global mobilisation was not the norm back then, the transportation system was not as developed, easy or cheap as it is today and one was not guaranteed equal rights in a place where their skin colour were different. All these combined with the decent economic avenues to survive back then (no affluent people buying all the land) and the historical contentment due to lack of exposure to anything better is why people did not contemplate such a move.

The essence of what django1 might be saying is that Ibadan was one of the leading lights in Nigeria back in the day. It definitely had more roads, expressways, hospitals and schools than virtually all other areas in Nigeria bar Lagos.

Up till the mid-90s, Ibadan was arguably Nigeria's second city. Only Kano could contend that position with it but I think Kano was Nigeria's third city as Ibadan was the leading alternative to Lagos for top companies. Now Ibadan is hardly a city to recogn with. It is not in Nigeria's top cities which are now Lagos, Port Harcourt and Abuja.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Sagamite(m): 12:05am On Sep 02, 2013
ngozievergreen:

help me give those folks more education.
They need it

I am still waiting for your education on the last question I asked you o.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 12:08am On Sep 02, 2013
agbameta:
How do you reconcile agreeing with that lack of self worth discrediting what Awolowo did and at the same time praise Awolowo and knowledge his legacy?

The first Highrise in Nigeria was built by Nigerians, it was built by the Western Regional government under the ledership of Awolowo, it was built with our own Cocoa funds and not British money.

This achievement was ours, it was Nigerian, it was a tenplate to show the rest of Nigeria and Africa what we are capable of doing and what unfortunately we were not able to replicate all over Ibadan itself or in the rest of the SW and Nigeria in general.

How do you support denying yourself possitve aspects of your own histriy, your own local and indegenous achievments like beaing able to score so many first in Africa?

Do you think if it was folks from other countries like Ghana, they'll discount and belitle their own source of pride on your behalf?

Regardless of our shorcormings, we can not bastardly relegate our ousrselves and throw our history and ride in the gutter.

We did not see the second, the third, the fourth, the fifth or even the 100th or even taller highrise because the government and the people responsible for these accomplishments was terminated and power was sent to folks without the region's interests in their hearts, it was transfered to incompetent people and thoughtless military admnistration.

Fortunetely for us, the region is back in the hands of capable and respomnsible people determined to restore these infrastructures and do more for coming generarions.

I never discredited the achievements of Awolowo and many firsts he achieved within the short-period he was the premier of the Western region. In fact, I lauded him, and Awolowo is definitely the greatest Nigerian worthy of emulation, IMHO.

My point is that, we can't keep reveling in nostalgia in 2013 when we should be celebrating how we've been able take the foundation the great Awo laid, to greater heights.

Also, Ibadan people need to start taking responsibilities for everything they did to single-handedly undermine Awolowo's legacy. And we as Yoruba people need to start holding them responsible for failing to do that.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 12:10am On Sep 02, 2013
Rossikk:
[s]
Stop thinking like a SLAVE. You claim that ''If the Brits had stayed in Nigeria till the 90s like they did in SA, Ibadan would have been like Durban''. But Durban was ALREADY ''like Durban'' by the 1960s and 1950s. So why wasn't Ibadan like Durban then too? Was it not under the same British?

The British, by 1960, had already been ruling Nigeria for 63 years uninterrupted, and yet Ibadan still looked like a big village after their rule. So why would an extra decade or two of British rule have changed anything?

You need to understand that the reason Nigeria was still underdeveloped after 63 years of British rule was that the British decided that since there was no substantial white resident population in Nigeria, it was not worth developing. So instead of re-investing the proceeds of the resources which the nation exported in the country, as was done in South Africa, the colonial govt in Nigeria simply looted the proceeds and siphoned to Britain.

Sure. They siphoned all the nation's money and built up their little elite colonial community away from the masses they stole from, and you praise them for that? Stop thinking like a slave![/s]

So your rant = The so called colonial masters did not do much for Nigeria, but you are still mad and Nigerians for doing what you claimed the colonials didn't do and we shouldn't be proud of what Nigerians like Awolowo did simply because the colonial masters did not do anything for us?

Why are you here raging and going bunkers instead of taking your anger and bitter dispositions to the colonial masters?

Why should we be mad that even before the same colonial masters left, we made significant progress than even other African countries?

So what is your gripe here?

1. That the British didn't do what they were supposed to do and we should be angry, sad and bitter like you?

2. We should be mad and upset because your own fellow Nigerians scored so many first and achieved something even before the same colonial masters left?

You are dangerously foolish and cluelessly misguided. The colonial masters left decades ago and you can not change anything or bring them back with your anger and idiocy.

People like you are so insecure, have zero self esteem and you think you can not do better or accomplish anything without your precious colonial masters?

Fcukking bhooo hoo. They left a long time ago and your anger is not bringing them back. Their perceived failure on your part doesn't mean we have to spit on our own genuine local efforts, history and achievements.

Face the future and worry more about what you can do to better your country instead of your foolish and pointless fixation on the white man's assss..
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 12:17am On Sep 02, 2013
Sagamite:

I am sure if you go roughly 150 years ago, there were no roads and expressways or hospitals or kids attending schools in much of the Western world too. Not many people that could call themselves middle-class or afford white goods.

We are not talking of ''150 years ago'' Mr Man. 1960 was approximately 50 years ago, not 150 years.

50 years ago, roads, expressways, hospitals, and literacy WERE THE NORM GLOBALLY. The colonialists simply DENIED African colonies those things, which was why we had to play catch-up at independence in the 1960s. By right, everywhere in Africa should look like South Africa, considering the colonialists were in power for nearly a century across the continent, exploiting her resources. But they only re-invested export earnings in colonies with a significant WHITE minority. This is why you go to places like Namibia, SA, even Kenya, and you'll see signs of infrastructural investment dating back a century or more. But not in places like Nigeria, Ghana, Guinea, Cameroun etc. Those nations were all black, so the colonialists did nothing. Now, wishing they had stayed an extra decade, shows a lack of understanding of the logic and deep racism of colonial reasoning.

Most people did not think of leaving the country for greener pastures because global mobilisation was not the norm back then

Oh please... The Indians and Chinese left their nations in droves in the 1940s and 50s to settle in Europe and America. In fact the first 'Chinatown' in the USA was established in the 1920s!!! So people across the world were educated and were moving around. You think all this migration stuff only started yesterday because that was where the colonial govt left you - in the bush, ill-exposed to global developments - until you were saved by Nigerian independence. The modern world is a lot older than you think it is!!
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 12:22am On Sep 02, 2013
ShymmexLion:

I never discredited the achievements of Awolowo and many firsts he achieved within the short-period he was the premier of the Western region. In fact, I lauded him, and Awolowo is definitely the greatest Nigerian worthy of emulation, IMHO.

My point is that, we can't keep reveling in nostalgia in 2013 when we should be celebrating how we've been able take the foundation the great Awo laid, to greater heights.

Also, Ibadan people need to start taking responsibilities for everything they did to single-handedly undermine Awolowo's legacy. And we as Yoruba
people need to start holding them responsible for failing to do that.

1. You can not in one breath agree with that joker and at the same time praise Awolowo for his achievements..

2. We did not ask the military to stop and block our achievements and path to glory regardless of what the white man did or didn't do, we moved on and built the first TV station in Africa, the first stadium, the only major industrial estates that's still responsible for Nigeria's non oil economic and industrial output. The white man didn't do all that, we did, this was our own local effort, this was our path to glory.

3. After decades of disastrous interruptions, we are back on the same glorious path with dedicated and focused leadership from Lagos to Ogun and Osun. This is the only region in Nigeria today that's consistently commissioning project and awarding project, coming up with good public policies and initiatives.

4. We were stopped and interrupted 30 years ago with what should have been another first in the form of the Metro rail, we were denied that achievement 30 years ago. Now look at us today, the same Metro rail is almost here and I can even smell it.

5. Based on number 3 and number 4 above, obviously, we are not resting on past glory in 2013, we are doubling our efforts and moving ahead accordingly.

We are achievers, we did it before and we'll do it again and no force can stop us now.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 12:25am On Sep 02, 2013
Rossikk:
[s]
We are not talking of ''150 years ago'' Mr Man. 1960 was approximately 50 years ago, not 150 years.

50 years ago, roads, expressways, hospitals, and literacy WERE THE NORM GLOBALLY. The colonialists simply DENIED African colonies those things, which was why we had to play catch-up at independence in the 1960s. By right, everywhere in Africa should look like South Africa, considering the colonialists were in power for nearly a century across the continent, exploiting her resources. But they only re-invested export earnings in colonies with a significant WHITE minority. This is why you go to places like Namibia, SA, even Kenya, and you'll see signs of infrastructural investment dating back a century or more. But not in places like Nigeria, Ghana, Guinea, Cameroun etc. Those nations were all black, so the colonialists did nothing. Now, wishing they had stayed an extra decade, shows a lack of understanding of the logic and deep racism of colonial reasoning.

Oh please... The Indians and Chinese left their nations in droves in the 1940s and 50s to settle in Europe and America. In fact the first 'Chinatown' in the USA was established in the 1920s!!! So people across the world were educated and were moving around. You think all this migration stuff only started yesterday because that was where the colonial govt left you - in the bush, ill-exposed to global developments - until you were saved by Nigerian independence.[/s]

Stop bothering us with your silly fixation on the white man. Worry more about what you can do for your country today and not what was not done by the white man decades ago.

All your silly noise and bitterness wont bring them back to dry up your tears...
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 12:28am On Sep 02, 2013
agbameta:

Stop bothering us with your silly fixation on the white man. Worry more about what you can do for your country today and not what was not done by the white man decades ago.

All your silly noise and bitterness wont bring them back to dry up your tears...

Dude I'm really not on your level. Kindly save your breath for your fellow narrow-minded tribalists and touts. I'm dealing with this issue from a broad-based, historical, Pan-Nigerian, Pan Africanist perspective, which to a one-dimensional tribal warlord like you, must seem really befuddling. Why not just ignore me?
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 12:32am On Sep 02, 2013
agbameta:
1. You can not in one breath agree with that joker and at the same time praise Awolowo for his achievements..

2. We did not ask the military to stop and block our achievements and path to glory regardless of what the white man did or didn't do, we moved on and built the first TV station in Africa, the first stadium, the only major industrial estates that's still responsible for Nigeria's non oil economic and industrial output. The white man didn't do all that, we did, this was our own local effort, this was our path to glory.

3. After decades of disastrous interruptions, we are back on the same glorious path with dedicated and focused leadership from Lagos to Ogun and Osun. This is the only region in Nigeria today that's consistently commissioning project and awarding project, coming up with good public policies and initiatives.

4. We were stopped and interrupted 30 years ago with what should have been another first in the form of the Metro rail, we were denied that achievement 30 years ago. Now look at us today, the same Metro rail is almost here and I can even smell it.

5. Based on number 3 and number 4 above, obviously, we are not resting on past glory in 2013, we are doubling our efforts and moving ahead accordingly.

We are achievers, we did it before and we'll do it again and no force can stop us now.

Hopefully.

Anyway, I only agreed with Rossikk about the colonialists and the people who asserted that they should have stayed longer.

However, something needs to be done about the mentality of the people in Ibadan. They're the leaders of the Yoruba race/land by default and they need to start acting like leaders and setting the pace for other to follow, and not Lagos. Ibadan was the capital of the western region and the mirror that would always be used to judge the achievements of Yoruba people. They need to take the lead and let Lagos and others follow.

Finally, I hope we get there soon and restore the old glory. Fashola has set the bar high and I hope others would take it higher, especially Ibadan people. I like Osun and Ogun state govs, they're achievers.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Sagamite(m): 12:32am On Sep 02, 2013
Rossikk:

50 years ago for Africa is more like 200 years ago for the Western world, talkless of 150 years ago.

Even today's Africa is like 100 years ago for the West.

Rossikk:
50 years ago, roads, expressways, hospitals, and literacy WERE THE NORM GLOBALLY. The colonialists simply DENIED African colonies those things, which was why we had to play catch-up at independence in the 1960s. By right, everywhere in Africa should look like South Africa, considering the colonialists were in power for nearly a century across the continent. But they only re-invested export earnings in colonies with a significant WHITE minority. This is why you go to places like Namibia, SA, even Kenya, and you'll see signs of infrastructural investment dating back a century or more. But not in places like Nigeria, Ghana, Guinea, Cameroun etc. Those nations were all black, so the colonialists did nothing. Now, wishing they had stayed an extra decade, shows a lack of understanding of the logic and deep racism of colonial reasoning.

Which globally are you talking about?

Which roads, expressways, hospitals, and literacy were the norm globally?

Do you know the meaning of global?

How many people were going to school in the world 50 years ago?

Whether you like it or not, the colonialists transformed Africa in the 100 years they were ruling the continent.

Rossikk:
Oh please... The Indians and Chinese left their nations in droves in the 1940s and 50s to settle in Europe and America. In fact the first 'Chinatown' in the USA was established in the 1920s!!! So people across the world were educated and were moving around. You think all this migration stuff only started yesterday because that was were the colonial govt left you - in the bush - until you were saved by Nigerian independence.

Apart from comparing China to Africa, please educate me on the "great migration" of Indians and Chinese you are talking about in the 1940s and 50s.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 12:36am On Sep 02, 2013
Rossikk:
[s]
Dude I'm really not on your level. Kindly save your breath for your fellow narrow-minded tribalists and touts. I'm dealing with this issue from a broad-based historical Pan-Nigerian, Pan Africanist perspective, which to a one-dimensional tribalist like you, must seem really befuddling.[/s]

Of course we are not on the same level because my head is not buried deep inside the white man's ass like yours and my hopes and future doesn't depend on what the white man did not do for me decades ago.

You started so many threads on NL full with boastful pictures of what we built ourselves and I did not see you cry or shed tears about the white man responsible or not responsible for anything, but your fake and hypocritical asss think we should take you seriously because of your warped anger and fixation on some irrelevant colonialist..

Oponu, first it was GDP and investments, then your dumb asss moved your post to quality of life, but after getting cornered, now it's some dumb talk about colonialist?

Ode white man wannabe negro...
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 12:39am On Sep 02, 2013
ShymmexLion:

Hopefully.

Anyway, I only agreed with Rossikk about the colonialists and the people who asserted that they should have stayed longer.

However, something needs to be done about the mentality of the people in Ibadan. They're the leaders of the Yoruba race/land by default and they need to start acting like leaders and setting the pace for other to follow, and not Lagos. Ibadan was the capital of the western region and the mirror that would always be used to judge the achievements of Yoruba people. They need to take the lead and let Lagos and others follow.

Finally, I hope we get there soon and restore the old glory. Fashola has set the bar high and I hope others would take it higher, especially Ibadan people. I like Osun and Ogun state govs, they're achievers.

Ibadan did not ask the military and incompetent people to show up and disrupt their progress and future so why blame them?

The same Ibadan folks are the ones standing up to take back what's theirs today.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 12:40am On Sep 02, 2013
Sagamite:

50 years ago for Africa is more like 200 years ago for the Western world, talkless of 150 years ago.

Even today's Africa is like 100 years ago for the West.
You do realise the west played a major part in that state of affairs having directly ruled the continent for a century?

Which globally are you talking about?

Which roads, expressways, hospitals, and literacy were the norm globally?

Do you know the meaning of global?

How many people were going to school in the world 50 years ago?

A lot more than you seem to imagine. In 1960 world literacy level was 60.7%. Sub Saharan Africa was at less than 15% in 1960 (after 63 years of colonial rule), and by 1970 it was 27%. Today it is about 60%.

http://www.unesco.org/education/GMR2006/full/chapt7_eng.pdf

Whether you like it or not, the colonialists transformed Africa in the 100 years they were ruling the continent.

They did NO SUCH THING. If Africa is ''transformed'' today, it was ''transformed'' by AFRICANS AFTER INDEPENDENCE. The only PLACE ''TRANSFORMED'' by colonialists was SOUTH AFRICA and that was because they were white resident populations living there. No other part of Africa was ''transformed'' unless you call one Cocoa House skyscraper and Leventis in a sea of underdevelopment and illiteracy ''transformation''.

Apart from comparing China to Africa, please educate me on the "great migration" of Indians and Chinese you are talking about in the 1940s and 50s.

Go on Google and read up on it. The Indian population in the UK saw a huge rise in the 40s and 50s owing to mass migration of educated Indians to Europe in search of greener pastures. Unlike in black Africa, the colonialists invested in mass education and universities in India. The oldest Indian universities are dated to the 1860s! Same as South Africa by the way. Nigerians could not partake of those early migrations because they were mostly uneducated villagers. Only in the 1980s and 90s after masses of Nigerians had become educated by the succeeding black governments, did Nigerians begin to emigrate in large numbers across the world, as students, businessmen, tourists etc. So thank goodness for independence, and thank goodness for black governments. They may not be perfect, but boy have we come a long way under them!
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 12:55am On Sep 02, 2013
agbameta:
Ibadan did not ask the military and incompetent people to show up and disrupt their progress and future so why blame them?

The same Ibadan folks are the ones standing up to take back what's theirs today.

But they had the opportunity to elect good leaders when democracy returned, why did they choose the worst set of uneducated riff-raff to lord over them? They chose people who shouldn't even be allowed to lead cows to govern them. They need to take responsibilities for that.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Sagamite(m): 1:15am On Sep 02, 2013
Rossikk: You do realise the west played a major part in that state of affairs having directly ruled the continent for a century?

They left it in a better state than the baboons that took over and are still in places like Aso Rock today.

That is by the way, the argument is about trying to say Africa was on par with the world 50 years ago. No it was not. It was like what Western world was like 150 years.

Rossikk:
A lot more than you seem to imagine. In 1960 world literacy level was 60.7%. Sub Saharan Africa was at less than 15% in 1960 (after 63 years of colonial rule), and by 1970 it was 27%. Today it is about 60%.

http://www.unesco.org/education/GMR2006/full/chapt7_eng.pdf

So basically, you produced the following evidence for me:

1) Africa was not par with the world 50 years ago.

2) Africa is now at the stage were the world was 50 years ago.

Right?

That is basically everything I have said.

Now considering that Africa is basically a large swath of backwardness today, then it suggests the world was very backward back 50 years ago?

Lets not forget that it is the Western world that raised the average that high 50 years ago. Globally roads, expressways, hospitals, and literacy were NOT the norm.

Rossikk:
They did NO SUCH THING. If Africa is ''transformed'' today, it was ''transformed'' by AFRICANS AFTER INDEPENDENCE. The only PLACE ''TRANSFORMED'' by colonialists was SOUTH AFRICA and that was because they were white resident populations living there.

They transformed it from a bunch of illiterates with superstitions and a tendency to start wars and kill each other, to a more advanced society.

Without the white people, Africa would not only have been 50-100 years backwards, they would have been close to 200 years backwards.

Rossikk:
Go on Google and read up on it. The Indian population in the UK saw a huge rise in the 40s and 50s owing to mass migration of educated Indians to Europe in search of greener pastures. Unlike in black Africa, the colonialists invested in mass education and universities in India. The oldest Indian universities are dated to the 1860s! Same as South Africa by the way. Nigerians could not partake of those early migrations because they were mostly uneducated villagers.

You forgot some few things.

By then, Europe had over 400 years of colonisation of India. China was never colonised.

As for Nigeria, Lagos that was the first to be colonised in Nigeria was colonised around 1860. Even my Sagamu was not colonised until about 1890.

Over those 400 years, Chinese and Indians had been migrating as free men. The Chinese as far back as the period of the Silk road 600 years ago before the Europeans even thought of going by ship.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Rossikk(m): 1:34am On Sep 02, 2013
Sagamite:

They left it in a better state than the baboons that took over and are still in places like Aso Rock today.

Those ''baboons'' are responsible for your very education, whereas had your British masters still been in power, you would most likely have grown up illiterate, given the pitiful 12% literacy rate at independence, and the fact that after 63 years in power, they built for your country only a half university, just as they were about to be kicked out. As well as infant mortality rate at 260 per 1000 (compared to 72 per 100 today and falling). You might not even have made it out of your formative years. You really should be thankful for independence.

You need to understand that corruption started under the colonialists. How else do you explain ruling and exploiting a nations's resources - groundnut, cocoa, iron ore, rubber, palm oil, coal etc for 100 years and at the end of it, there's not a single university in the country? No national grid? We produced just 270 mw at independence. Electricity was unknown outside a few cities.

Corruption actually REDUCED DRASTICALLY after independence. So instead of 95% of our annual export earnings being siphoned to London as occurred under the Brits, maybe 30% was siphoned by the new Nigerian rulers. That was why there was suddenly more money to build thousands of schools, hospitals and roads after independence.

Without the white people, Africa would not only have been 50-100 years backwards, they would have been close to 200 years backwards.

Do you consider yourself inferior to a white man? You shouldn't. It's only been in the last 250 years or so out of 20,000 years of recorded human history that the European has been dominant, owing to the industrial revolution that occurred in his domain. Surely if he was superior to all he would have been advanced thousands of years ago and not just a few hundred? Before the industrial revolution all races were roughly equal in technology, politics and economy.

You forgot some few things.

By then, Europe had over 400 years of colonisation of India.

Wrong. The British Raj was not established until 1858, just 40 years or so before the colonisation of Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tanko: 'How Imams, Northern Intellectuals, Incited The North Against Jonathan' / Wike, NIA Fight Over Ownership Of N13bn Seized By EFCC / US Vows To Monitor $32.8m COVID-19 Spending In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.