Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,406 members, 7,808,449 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:03 PM

'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) (2767 Views)

How To Buy A Domain Name Without Credit Card / Can One De-register A Domain Name? / Choosing a Domain Name? Factors to Consider (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by IAH(f): 1:44pm On Aug 14, 2005
I saw Woo interactive only a few days ago, I'm surprised it's no longer there!
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by joftech(m): 7:41pm On Aug 14, 2005
I saw Woo interactive only a few days ago, I'm surprised it's no longer there!

It's a very stupid oversight on their part to let their domain expire without renewing it. This is part of what am saying about Nigerian webmasters, they lack the maintenance culture. cry

Anyway if you have spare dough you can easily register that domain and resell to them for a higher fee (get rich quick) wink.
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by kazey(m): 7:57pm On Aug 14, 2005
if its trademarked, they can sue you. And thats not good. smiley
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by Fox(m): 7:54am On Aug 15, 2005
That is not true kazey. I can buy any domain name regardless of whatever trademarks are out there today and try to sell it to the companies who originally had that name. This was how a lot of small internet companies made millions of dollars in the early to mid 90s by buying tons of names and flipping them to companies who already went by that name. Ofcourse the only option if you don't want to pay the high resale price would be to add something to your domain name like toyotaonline.com or toyotausa.com if someone else already bought the toyota domain. No trademark issues there sir
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by Seun(m): 3:53pm On Aug 16, 2005
Fox, you're wrong. A young boy running a software company called mikerowsoft was recently sued by Microsoft; it was in the news!
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by Farriel(m): 1:47pm On Aug 17, 2005
Well, when isn't Microsoft trying to sue someone? If not for anything, at least in retaliation for the numerous charges brought against them by rival companies. I could remember they changed their upcoming OS title to Vista from Longhorn and there's a company with that name already, and Microsoft isn't doing anything to change that.

Yeah, I can't find Woo-Interactive online anymore. And no, I don't think anyone is going to get sued for registering that domain, cos it happens all the time.
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by kazey(m): 3:23pm On Aug 17, 2005
Man you guys have miss the whole point. The thing about big time corporate companies is that they can do anything they want to other people. But you can't do anything you want to them. Simple. They have better lawyers and more money to throw away just like that.

Messing with someones trademark, means you are breaking the law that gives the trademark owner the right to that name and you are liable to be taken to court in any country and be charged for the offence. Are you saying Nigeria is a lawless country?

Try starting a home made Ogogoro and name it Guiness. and see what would happen. grin
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by Farriel(m): 3:27pm On Aug 24, 2005
Constitutionally, Nigeria isn't a lawless country but literally - taking things on surface value - Nigeria is one of the most lawless countries in the world, and this is clearly no overstatement. It is true that the big players have got the money to throw around, but that said, Woo-Interactvie would be forever sorry if one greedy folk around was to buy it.
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by kazey(m): 12:00am On Aug 25, 2005
ok i would buy it. grin
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by Hunter(m): 7:49am On Aug 25, 2005
Domain name's here are rigeorsly inforced, if any camping goes on an .com.au the original owner can reclaim it (obviously they investigate it) tongue
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by Farriel(m): 9:25pm On Aug 26, 2005
Well I'm suprised you didn't buy it early enough Kazey, because it's back online.
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by kazey(m): 11:27am On Aug 27, 2005
You taught i actually had interest? nah i aint that mean yet cheesy
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by Seun(m): 5:50am On Jan 31, 2006
I find it annoying that there are those who make a lot of mney by just holding popular domain names and posting silly ads on them.
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by dejiolowe: 8:30pm On Jan 31, 2006
some dude, eazyduzit just stole accessbankgroup.com and fcmbplc.com and they started terrorizing those banks to pay them 100,000 for the domains!

someone should fry their arse.
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by Seun(m): 11:55am On Aug 03, 2006
Why do these big names like to allow their domain names to expire? It happened to Omotola.com too.
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by topsyn2001: 2:50pm On Aug 18, 2006
joftech you are wrong in your statement that says "This is part of what am saying about Nigerian webmasters, they lack the maintenance culture" will the webmaster force his client to pay? somtimes its the client that will find it difficult to pay for renewal, i've seen several occasions like dat shocked
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by Panache(m): 8:57pm On Sep 12, 2006
Fox that was before oo, you can't do that now, it is illegal. See

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/26/dell_domain_dispute/

Can law enforcement prosecute you for domain name theft?
Yes, law enforcement can prosecute a registrant for registering a domain name under false pretenses, under false approachment and even for stealing a copyrighted or trademarked name. Cease and desist orders are initial notices sent to the someone using a copyrighted name. This is usually the first and only warning, with a time notice, given to people who are in violation of copyright laws.

From there, if you do cease and desist using the copyright, no further legal ramifications will be held against you; however, if you choose to ignore this warning, then the owner has a right to pursue further damages against you and your party.

http://acme-web-design.info/articles/stealing-domain-names-be-wary-of-the-risk.htm
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by fdigital1: 3:32pm On Feb 09, 2009
The 'stealers' of woo domain forgot to also pack other similar extensions possible (too bad.) Woo is now online with .net - saw it couple of days ago. I wonder what they (the stealers) would do with the domain now. The new woo site looks more mature - i'm not a supporter of flash navigation though.
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:14pm On Feb 11, 2009
woo should have paid for all domain extensions with their brand mark if they were actually serious with business, they made a whole lot of bucks back in the days when Flash Presentations was the in thing for Banks, man they cashed in I mean CASHHHHHHed in
Re: 'Stealing' a Domain Name (Cybersquatting) by eazyduzit: 6:06pm On Dec 04, 2021
dejiolowe:
some dude, eazyduzit just stole accessbankgroup.com and fcmbplc.com and they started terrorizing those banks to pay them 100,000 for the domains!

someone should fry their arse.
Who be ds one wey cum dey mention me on fraudulent activity?

(1) (Reply)

IT Age Problem: Are Older Workers Facing Tough Times In High Tech Companies? / 27 Hot And Profitable Online Business Ideas You Can Explore In 2015 / How To Start A Billion Dollar Startup: See How Instagram And Pinterest Started

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.