Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,072 members, 7,807,214 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? (31423 Views)

The Bantu people descended from the Igbos of Nigeria: / Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? / Town Or Clan Whose Original Dialect Is Closer To Central Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:35pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Eastern Nigeria are Bantu. my friend go check the cultural similarities. take as a case of study : bamileke or sawa vs Igbos or effik . uwill think u are seeing the same people

Cultural similarities do not make people the same

Fulani have similar culture to Serer, Wolof, Hausa, Tuareg, etc. and I hate to admit it even Ayanle Somali people. That said it does not make us the same people as them even though cultures and music are similar.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila:

when we r talking abt beautiful women in africa
I dont see them mention central African countries

most beautiful are in the east and west
crap. it is obvious the African population is concentrated int west and in the east . Central Africa is under populated hence the lack of representation , still Camerooon alone leads most west af countries( benin togo, gambia, sierra leone , Liberia ,guinee Bissau etc)
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:35pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila:

when we r talking abt beautiful women in africa
I dont see them mention central African countries

most beautiful are in the east and west

That is really messed up Sha, I don't know what Somali or Ethiopians you have been worshiping, but Nigerians do not talk this way. Also beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fulaman198:

Cultural similarities do not make people the same

Fulani have similar culture to Serer, Wolof, Hausa, Tuareg, etc. and I hate to admit it even Ayanle Somali people. That said it does not make us the same people as them even though cultures and music are similar.
and why will languages make the differences? if cultural similarities , food, lifestyle/concepts , don't make people the same or don't show they are linked at some point . then a racist or ethno fascist languages classification done by some confuse white shouldn't tell
the differences and separate us
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:41pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: and why will languages make the differences? if cultural similarities , food, lifestyle/concepts , don't make people the same or don't show they are linked at some point . then a racist or ethno fascist languages classification done by some confuse white shouldn't tell how differences

Because it is like this,

It is like calling the Swedish and British the same......Yes they share many similarities, they both speak a Germanic language, but but they speak a different Germanic language. Or what about the Russians and Czechs? They are both Slavic people yet they are different.

The beauty about this world is that we all come from different walks of life. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same. We just have to accept things the way they are.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fulaman198:

Because it is like this,

It is like calling the Swedish and British the same......Yes they share many similarities, they both speak a Germanic language, but but they speak a different Germanic language. Or what about the Russians and Czechs? They are both Slavic people yet they are different.

The beauty about this world is that we all come from different walks of life. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same. We just have to accept things the way they are.

they are different as in nationality, my friend don't speak with both sides of your mouth . a Slavic person is a lavic person and they are all the same regardless their nationality or birth place . I recall one of your comment where u called Fulani all the same how is it different with Slavic. for example my ethnicity is found all over central Africa. some smaller groups in Congo and Central Africa speak now differently because they have been overshadowed by their new neighbors does it mean they ain't my people anymore? what of the people my ethnic group found where we are now. they all now speak our language and have been assimilated. should I call them my people?
as a Fulani u should know better how many non Fulani speak Fulani or Hausa? does it makes them Fulani? what of Fulani who can't speak Fulani,aren't they Fulani anymore? my friend language is not enough to determine anything
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:46pm On Sep 29, 2013
why does fulaman keep on hiding my posts angry angry
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by BlackKenichi(m): 6:47pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: we share the same culture and same concept of life. we are from the same stock .saying we only share language similarities is bogus to say the least . at what period are those trades? agai i'm talking prior-during the migration, besides Igbos are Bantu.
No you don't. What does a Central African forest dwelling bantu have in common with a Xhosa speaking pastoral bantu?
What does a Mijikenda ethnic groups on the coast of Kenya have in common with the say the Ovimbundu ethnic on the coast of Angola?

The fact of the matter is that Bantu don't have much in common apart from the similar languages

I mean look at the area that the Bantu occupy and you're telling me that Bantu speaking ethnic groups have loads in common?:

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Sep 29, 2013
what we don't have in common? answer that question
Black Kenichi:
No you don't. What does a Central African forest dwelling bantu have in common with a Xhosa speaking pastoral bantu?
What does a Mijikenda ethnic groups on the coast of Kenya have in common with the say the Ovimbundu ethnic on the coast of Angola?

The fact of the matter is that Bantu don't have much in common apart from the similar languages

I mean look at the area that the Bantu occupy and you're telling me that Bantu speaking ethnic groups have loads in common?:

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:48pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: crap. it is obvious the African population is concentrated int west and in the east . Central Africa is under populated hence the lack of representation , still Camerooon alone leads most west af countries( benin togo, gambia, sierra leone , Liberia ,guinee Bissau etc)

cameroon >>>> togo, liberia, guinea bissau

but not gambia, benin . .those countries have gorgeous women
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 6:49pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fulaman198:

That is really messed up Sha, I don't know what Somali or Ethiopians you have been worshiping, but Nigerians do not talk this way. Also beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

igbos might be bantu according to him

but we just dont have wide faces like the central africans
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:50pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: they are different as in nationality, my friend don't speak with both sides of your mouth . a Slavic person is a lavic person and they are all the same regardless their nationality or birth place . I recall one of your comment where u called Fulani all the same how is it different with Slavic. for example my ethnicity is found all over central Africa. some smaller groups in Congo and Central Africa speak now differently because they have been overshadowed by their new neighbors does it mean they ain't my people anymore? what of the people my ethnic group fopund where we are now. they all now speak our language and have been assimilated. should I call them my people?
as a Fulani u should know better how many non Fulani speak Fulani or Hausa? does it makes them Fulani? what of Fulani who can't speak Fulani,aren't they Fulani anymore? my friend language is not enough to determine anything

Because the thing is that all Slavic languages are different: Russian, Polish, Serbo-Croat, Slovenian, etc.

Whereas Fulani is the same language but with several dialects. However if we use the same rules you are using then let us discuss Senegambian languages vs. Slavic languages

Senegambian languages : Fulani language (Fulfulde/Pular), Serer, Wolof, etc.
Slavic languages: Russian, Polish, Serbo-Croat, Slovenian, etc.

The Fulani who can no longer speak Fulani language and only Hausa are Hausa in my opinion because they have nothing in common with Fulani culture. Even though they may be ethnically Fulani, they have more in common with Hausa people than they do with Fulani people.

I admit I love your questions they are very good, it makes me think deeply. Thank you
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 29, 2013
black kenichi ..the Bantu who went in the east learn how to rear cattle something those who stayed in the forest area couldn't do so .and so on ..now the climatic condition and the people surrounding them may have changed their lifestyle.it still doesn't change the fact that we are the same. my Kenya friends call me my Bantu brother wink
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:51pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila: why does fulaman keep on hiding my posts angry angry

Out of context, this is not a beauty thread grin you can make a separate thread on that
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by BlackKenichi(m): 6:52pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: what we don't have in common? answer that question
Simple avoidance. Just admit that apart from language similarities, the bantu have very little in common!

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Fulaman198(m): 6:53pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila:

igbos might be bantu according to him

but we just dont have wide faces like the central africans

Cameroonians are considered Central African, and not West African (I used to think that Cameroon was West Africa too because of its close proximity to us, but like Chad it is not). Nigeria and Niger are the last countries farthest east of West Africa.

Please let us not make generalizations about how Central Africans look. No two Igbos look the same. We all know there are extremely dark-skinned Igbos and light-skinned Igbos. I have actually seen Igbos with round faces before, but that does not make them inferior or superior. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by BlackKenichi(m): 6:59pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: black kenichi ..the Bantu who went in the east learn how to rear cattle something those who stayed in the forest area couldn't do so .and so on ..now the climatic condition and the people surrounding them may have changed their lifestyle.it still doesn't change the fact that we are the same. my Kenya friends call me my Bantu brother wink
Exactly my point. Different environment produce different cultures. The fact of the matter is the "Bantu" aren't homogenous.
Btw I've got plenty of friends that are different Bantu ethnics and they really don't give a sh1t about Bantu unity. Hell one Congolese dude I know is quite jingoistic about DRC. So much for bantu unity! grin grin grin
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Sep 29, 2013
Black Kenichi:
Simple avoidance. Just admit that apart from language similarities, the bantu have very little in common!
we have, dances, music, food, some rituals. the "look" etc . now let's get closer. what's the difference between a Xhosa and a Zulu ?
or a baynakole and Hutu?
what's the difference between a fang and a Beti?
of course if you take a Bantu(farmer from the centre) and compare with a bantu living in the mountain/cattle rear , u sill more differences than similarities it still doesn't change the fact that they are the same.
another great example is the Fulani. we know there are the nomadic Fulani and the non nomadic aren't they all Fulani? don't they have the same culture? Fulaman will sed more light but I heard and I know some non nomadic Fulani I mean most are now mixed and have adopted dfferent habits. let's take the case of food . whatare the chance that a nomadic Fulani knows about spices/salt? or even fish? does it mean that now that the non nomadic who know love fish or bush meat more than cows aren't anymore Fulani ?
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by BlackKenichi(m): 7:02pm On Sep 29, 2013
Oh btw The Igbo aren't Bantu. They are Volta-Niger speaking group and have more in common with other Southern Nigerians like the Yoruba, Edo, Ijaw etc.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Sep 29, 2013
Black Kenichi:
Exactly my point. Different environment produce different cultures. The fact of the matter is the "Bantu" aren't homogenous.
Btw I've got plenty of friends that are different Bantu ethnics and they really don't give a sh1t about Bantu unity. Hell one Congolese dude I know is quite jingoist about DRC. So much for bantu unity! grin grin grin
what's jingoist ?
as for the unity that's the case with most people , this is like talking about African unity it can't happen tho . I mean Bantu ain't an ethnicity it is a group of ethnics so the task is huge . and we have been balkanized
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fulaman198:

Cameroonians are considered Central African, and not West African (I used to think that Cameroon was West Africa too because of its close proximity to us, but like Chad it is not). Nigeria and Niger are the last countries farthest east of West Africa.

Please let us not make generalizations about how Central Africans look. No two Igbos look the same. We all know there are extremely dark-skinned Igbos and light-skinned Igbos. I have actually seen Igbos with round faces before, but that does not make them inferior or superior. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
don't mind her lol .
we are west -central African . we are unique and on our own.
onila u are my Bantu sister
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by BlackKenichi(m): 7:08pm On Sep 29, 2013
Fulaman198:

Chadic is a sub-division of Afro-Asiatic languages, Chadic languages are almost all Afro-Asiatic. Hausa is a Chadic Afro-Asiatic language for example. Also the Songhai do resemble Nilotic people as do the Kanuri who are also of the Nilo-Saharan group as well.
Sorry I meant to say Central Saharan instead of Chadic. Also The songhai and Kanuri don't really look that different from other West African. The Nilotics of South Sudan look quite different from West African. Hell, the South Sudanese look quite different to the Chadians as well.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 7:08pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: don't mind her lol .
we are west -central African . we are unique and on our own.
onila u are my Bantu sister
angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by BlackKenichi(m): 7:12pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: what's jingoist ?
as for the unity that's the case with most people , this is like talking about African unity it can't happen tho . I mean Bantu ain't an ethnicity it is a group of ethnics so the task is huge . and we have been balkanized
A jingoist is an extreme form of patriotism.
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Sep 29, 2013
Black Kenichi:
A jingoist is an extreme form of patriotism.
that's a good thing then, if he's proud about DRC . i think they need more proud people to from a nation. rebels groups can't pop like that everyday. Moost Bantu i know aknowledge the "Bantoucite" cool cool
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Sep 29, 2013
onila: angry angry angry angry
u should b happy
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by alanmwene: 7:30pm On Sep 29, 2013
I don't think igbos are bantus stricto sensu!Igbos are more related to yorubas,ghanians,etc....than to any bantu group!For sure it is always possible to find similiraties here and there between bantus and west Africans,but there are quite significant cultural and genetical differences between the two groups.For example bantus don't have deities whereas igbos and yorubas have ikenga,yemanja,ogun etc.......bantus have always been absolutely monotheists!Bantus are totally egalitarians whereas west Africans aren't!We can go on and on....
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 7:47pm On Sep 29, 2013
alanmwene: I don't think igbos are bantus stricto sensu!Igbos are more related to yorubas,ghanians,etc....than to any bantu group!For sure it is always possible to find similiraties here and there between bantus and west Africans,but there are quite significant cultural and genetical differences between the two groups.For example bantus don't have deities whereas igbos and yorubas have ikenga,yemanja,ogun etc.......bantus have always been absolutely monotheists!Bantus are totally egalitarians whereas west Africans aren't!We can go on and on....
cool yea true, we r not bantu
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by onila(f): 7:48pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: u should b happy
ewww
Re: Why Did The Bantu's Migrate From Eastern Nigeria To Central And Southern Africa? by BlackKenichi(m): 7:55pm On Sep 29, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: we have, dances, music, food, some rituals. the "look" etc.
There is no Bantu "look" per se. When the "Bantu" migrants went to the Central African rainforest they encountered and absorbed some Pygmy groups. In Southern Africa they encountered and absorbed some Khoisan groups. In East African they encountered and absorbed some Nilotics, Cushitics and hunter gatherer type groups. With different African genes coursing through their respective veins, each bantu group has taken on some of the physical characteristics of their respective group.
I'll have a hard time believing that someone like Nelson Mandela would fit into Central or East Africa.

CAMEROONPRIDE: now let's get closer. what's the difference between a Xhosa and a Zulu ?
or a baynakole and Hutu?
what's the difference between a fang and a Beti?
Xhosa have more khoisan blood than the Zulu. The Xhosa Language has more click sounds than the Zulu language. The Zulu were more warlike than the Xhosa. There's actuall quite a number differences between the Zulu and Xhosa peoples. I don't know much about the other Bantu peoples that you mentioned.

CAMEROONPRIDE: of course if you take a Bantu(farmer from the centre) and compare with a bantu living in the mountain/cattle rear , u still more differences than similarities it still doesn't change the fact that they are the same.

That's my point.

CAMEROONPRIDE: another great example is the Fulani. we know there are the nomadic Fulani and the non nomadic aren't they all Fulani? don't they have the same culture? Fulaman will sed more light but I heard and I know some non nomadic Fulani I mean most are now mixed and have adopted dfferent habits. let's take the case of food . whatare the chance that a nomadic Fulani knows about spices/salt? or even fish? does it mean that now that the non nomadic who know love fish or bush meat more than cows aren't anymore Fulani ?
I suppose that Fulaman would have to answer that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Cremation Should Be Practiced In Nigeria. / Muslims And Egungun Masquerade Clash In Osogbo (Video) / History Made In Ikorodu As Solat Was Observed On Their Late King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.