Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,598 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

Pilot Career - Career (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pilot Career (72484 Views)

Why Become A Commercial Pilot? - Many Pilots Never Admit #11 / Will I Be Trained As A Pilot If I Join The Airforce With A Bsc In Psycology / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pilot Career by Damsifrank: 4:51pm On Oct 24, 2014
Generaloluseye:
yes oh i did. I am just praying for more to come up. It would ve been better if they had not given it to global profilers. I even have one admission letter with me now and i ve been to lots of airline in Nigeria. Only arik responded positively but they re just posting me.

well i guess Atlantic Aviation don't want to go through the stress of the recruitment process that's why it was given to global Profiler to handle it on their behalf unlike Bristow that conduct it themselves. Unfortunately very few companies place advert for Cadet opening positions though i learn't they all do have cadets in training but it's usually done discretely

We just hope more opportunities come up soonest.
Re: Pilot Career by Generaloluseye: 11:23pm On Oct 24, 2014
Damsifrank:

well i guess Atlantic Aviation don't want to go through the stress of the recruitment process that's why it was given to global Profiler to handle it on their behalf unlike Bristow that conduct it themselves. Unfortunately very few companies place advert for Cadet opening positions though i learn't they all do have cadets in training but it's usually done discretely

We just hope more opportunities come up soonest.
yes. I even learnt caverton sponsored some pple to zaria of recent. But they did not place the advert in the print. We only heard during a press conference that they were sending some guys to zaria. When i mt the chief pilot of arik, he said they ve just sponsored some peeps to zaria too. Only God can help us
Re: Pilot Career by Damsifrank: 9:13am On Oct 26, 2014
Generaloluseye:
yes. I even learnt caverton sponsored some pple to zaria of recent. But they did not place the advert in the print. We only heard during a press conference that they were sending some guys to zaria. When i mt the chief pilot of arik, he said they ve just sponsored some peeps to zaria too. Only God can help us

Yea that's true, Caverton also run cadet program, they send their cadets to cloud 9 helicopters in the US. i guess only insiders know about the process involved
Re: Pilot Career by harrysterol(m): 8:02pm On Oct 29, 2014
So people that don't hv pple inside won't have idea??
Re: Pilot Career by Damsifrank: 10:40pm On Oct 30, 2014
harrysterol:
So people that don't hv pple inside won't have idea??

if you do have any information about their cadet program, it will be very much appreciated if you can share it with us.
Re: Pilot Career by harrysterol(m): 4:21am On Oct 31, 2014
Damsifrank:

if you do have any information about their cadet program, it will be very much appreciated if you can share it with us.

am also looking for an opportunity der buy bristol program just passed of resent
Re: Pilot Career by chike231: 12:02pm On Feb 21, 2015
harrysterol:
am also looking for an opportunity der buy bristol program just passed of resent

Please i would like to inquire bou d exam for bristow cadets,like what to read and what not to..
Re: Pilot Career by bisi16(m): 12:39pm On Feb 21, 2015
Hi all, I really wish this thread can be revived. Am a potential student pilot who'll be jetting out soon to S.Africa 4 my training. If any1 can help me wit books I can start reading 4rm now, it 'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Re: Pilot Career by harrysterol(m): 12:47pm On Feb 21, 2015
chike231:

Please i would like to inquire bou d exam for bristow cadets,like what to read and what not to..
I have not written their exams b4 hoping for the next cadet trainee
Re: Pilot Career by emoch(m): 3:57pm On Mar 09, 2015
join other aviation professionals on our new forum. visit www.nigap.com for aviation related discussions and learning. Thanks
Re: Pilot Career by CaptainRahl(m): 2:13pm On Dec 12, 2015
IVY4U:
Hi all, long time no yarn. How are all the guy doing.
Was away for a while. Am back now. Quite busy though, but miss u guys sha.
@RDV, is been a while. Am in d sky. Is not been easy,but thank God 4 'Mentor'!!! like you.

Cheers to ya all.

I hope u too can mentor me to hit the sky like u.
I'm so happy 4u ma'am
Re: Pilot Career by Nobody: 7:56pm On Dec 12, 2015
[color=#770077] [i have always dreamt of being a pilot but i found out i have fear of heights embarassed]
Re: Pilot Career by Pdizzle(m): 11:52pm On Dec 26, 2015
Glad i saw this thread
Re: Pilot Career by Daniel2802(m): 10:46pm On Jan 07, 2016
The thread is very valuable, I wish most of the people here were around.
Re: Pilot Career by Boeing777pilot: 12:59am On Jan 08, 2016
bisi16:
Hi all, I really wish this thread can be revived. Am a potential student pilot who'll be jetting out soon to S.Africa 4 my training. If any1 can help me wit books I can start reading 4rm now, it 'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Calm down, different flight schools use different materials
Re: Pilot Career by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 08, 2016
Hello house, pls can I get an assistance in my lookout for any institution that offers scholarship abroad in studying aeronautical eng. thanks cc Boeing777pilot
Re: Pilot Career by peteribrahim123: 3:04pm On Jan 08, 2016
But dis piloting skuls are too expensive, what are your advice for ppl who can't afford it but hav d passion
Re: Pilot Career by petengine(m): 8:49pm On Jan 08, 2016
peteribrahim123:
But dis piloting skuls are too expensive, what are your advice for ppl who can't afford it but hav d passion
there I five magic ways u can become a pilot for free at not extra cost that I know.
Re: Pilot Career by petengine(m): 8:49pm On Jan 08, 2016
peteribrahim123:
there are five magic ways u can become a pilot for free at not extra cost that I know.
Re: Pilot Career by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 09, 2016
petengine:

there I five magic ways u can become a pilot for free at not extra cost that I know.
what are the magic ways pls
Re: Pilot Career by CaptainRahl(m): 7:25pm On Jan 09, 2016
bisi16:

Thanks in advance
I'm sure u are enjoying your training in sA now. Pls update us on ur experience in sA so far
Re: Pilot Career by CaptainRahl(m): 8:16pm On Jan 09, 2016
RDV:
@femo2000,

grin haba,, no need for envy,, I dey here for you too  grin

There is a bit of politics,, but not in the way that you are thinking. I will explain that later.

First of all, don't worry at all about the term "cadet". It does not mean anything. It is just a way of describing trainee pilots that are sponsored by an airline, to differentiate them from trainees that are paying for the course themselves, who are described as "self-sponsored".

You do not become a cadet until the airline agrees to sponsor you, and you sign all the agreements, etc. So you could be working for Virgin as a ticket agent, cabin crew, baggage loader, driver, or whatever,, then you apply for sponsorship, and then when you are accepted, they start to describe you as a cadet. That is why the 10 guys you were talking about were already working for VN before they became cadets. (In actual fact, the majority of them were cabin crew and office staff  before they became cadets). That is also why no one heard about the whole thing until after they had been selected. all advertising was done internally.

When the cadets finish their training, they come back and start flying as Second Officers, and then they progress in time to First Officer, and finally Captain.

The Politics - The only politics going on here, is that VN selected the cadets from within the workforce, and did not place an advert in the newspaper, or advertise on TV, Radio etc.  But, that is very normal in the airline business. Pilot training is very expensive, and airlines are always very afraid of selecting someone who ends up not being able to complete the course, or will not fit in to the company culture, when this happens, the airline loses a lot of money.

It therefore makes more sense for them to select people who are already known within the company, regardless of what type of job they are doing in the company. They already know the type of person you are, your ability, your performance, etc, and can make a better judgement about how succesful you will be, compared to a JJC that just walks in from the street.

That is why 99% of airlines will choose internally. If there is a lack of internal candidates, then they will advertise and recruit externally. But external candidates will go through a much tougher selection process, involving interview, aptitiude tests, psychometric tests, etc, again because the risk is greater for the airline. The internal selection will not be as rigorous, because they know you already.

SO, the bottom line?

If you cannot get private sponsorship (like IVY4U), and are really keen for the VN sponsorship, your best starting point, is to get any kind of job you feel comfortable with, at VN. Once you are in, then you will have the earlier opportunity to apply to become a cadet. From within, you can lobby and network with the people that matter much better than you can as an outsider. ( The ideal starting point, in my view, is as cabin crew, or flight dispatch, or flight operations, you get to interact in those jobs, everyday, with the very same people who make the decisions on recruitement of cadets)

Also a good alternative option. The conversion from rotary to fixed wing later in your career is also quite straightforward. The academic training is exactly the same. so, if you can get rotary sponsorship, go for it. The conditions of sponsorship usually mean that you have to work for the company for something like 5 years after graduation, but after that you can do a small conversion course and switch to fixed wing if you like.

Good luck with whatever option you end up choosing. Any more questions,, I dey here for you.  grin

Oga me, I must say that ur posts are so educative!
I'm following them with keen interest!!
My questions will come much later.
Oga u are too much
Re: Pilot Career by CaptainRahl(m): 9:56pm On Jan 09, 2016
RDV:
Hello Everybody,

I still dey. Its quite busy at work, so not much time these days for internet, but I still dey to answer any questions you migh have.

CTC Wings is very well known, and has a good reputation. Am not 100 percent sure how it works these days, but in my own days, you had to already have your ATPL before you could even apply for the scheme.
...Following ur posts bumper to bumper like ant dey follow sugar.
Re: Pilot Career by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 19, 2016
My brother just applied to a Pilot training school in SA and also applied to University Of Nicosia, North Cyprus. He is more interested in becoming a Pilot than going to the University. So our concern is, is it "very compulsory" to have BSC even after becoming a Professional Pilot? Please kindly help guys.....God bless!!
Re: Pilot Career by sugah: 5:42pm On Jan 27, 2016
mirrorboy:
My brother just applied to a Pilot training school in SA
and also applied to University Of Nicosia, North
Cyprus. He is more interested in becoming a Pilot than
going to the University.
So our concern is, is it "very compulsory" to have
BSC even after becoming a Professional Pilot?
Please kindly help guys.....God bless!!

No it is not compulsory to have a Bsc as a professional pilot. But depending on the career growth he wants (i.e if he wishes to be a management staff), he might want to get a Bsc/Msc after the licenses by doing an online course if necessary.
Re: Pilot Career by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 27, 2016
sugah:

No it is not compulsory to have a Bsc as a professional pilot. But depending on the career growth he wants (i.e if he wishes to be a management staff), he might want to get a Bsc/Msc after the licenses by doing an online course if necessary.

Now I think this help more. Please can you give me the school's website where he can do the online course? Thanks so much!
Re: Pilot Career by sugah: 10:06pm On Jan 27, 2016
mirrorboy:

Now I think this help more. Please can you give me the school's website where he can do the online course? Thanks so much!

This is the only one i know http://www.erau.edu/
Re: Pilot Career by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jan 27, 2016
sugah:

This is the only one i know http://www.erau.edu/
Thank you so much Bro. God bless you! I so much appreciate.
Re: Pilot Career by Boeing777pilot: 7:50pm On Feb 03, 2016
mirrorboy:
My brother just applied to a Pilot training school in SA
and also applied to University Of Nicosia, North
Cyprus. He is more interested in becoming a Pilot than
going to the University.
So our concern is, is it "very compulsory" to have
BSC even after becoming a Professional Pilot?
Please kindly help guys.....God bless!!

It's not necessary.
Re: Pilot Career by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 03, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

It's not necessary.
Bless You!

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by okikiosibodu(m): 9:28pm On Mar 07, 2016
Re: Pilot Career by fadedayo: 7:13pm On Jun 08, 2016
Dear All,

Please a company is looking to recruit a G-IV Captain with at least 4000hrs flight time and is type rated.

The company is plays in the oil and gas sector.

If you are interested or know anyone who is, kindly send me CVs at fadedayo@gmail.com

Thanks and kind regards.

Femi

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Male Nigerian Nurse: Proud Of His Profession / Meet The Aliu Family Of Medical Doctors Where All 5 Sisters Are Medical Doctors / Adaobi Nwosu: Police Officer Celebrates Birthday With Stunning Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.