Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Pilot Career - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pilot Career (72483 Views)

Why Become A Commercial Pilot? - Many Pilots Never Admit #11 / Will I Be Trained As A Pilot If I Join The Airforce With A Bsc In Psycology / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pilot Career by pilot77(m): 7:28pm On Jul 25, 2008
Hi My fellow aviators and aviators to be,
this is just to inform you all that there's a helicopter training school being set up in Abidjan.I'm in touch with the Chief Instructor and i'll let you all all as things unfold.

cheers
77 out
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 8:29pm On Jul 25, 2008
We are with you on that frequency '77.

That will be a great alternative to the usual SA options to aspiring RotorHeads.
grin
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 8:37pm On Jul 25, 2008
About NCATs PPL course, the quoted price on their website is an old one. Its not been updated. Their price now is like 2.5M but you can pay in installments.

I was there three days back. That place really needs serious funding.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 8:56pm On Jul 25, 2008
Bristow Applicants, check tru this old thread

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-45285.0.html
Re: Pilot Career by femo2000(m): 10:35am On Jul 26, 2008
This Is where we Belong

We Will Get There

Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 4:37pm On Jul 26, 2008
Amen!!!!!!!!!, Femo 2000, that is the spirit!

abi, maybe even here seff,

Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 4:29pm On Jul 27, 2008
Or here,

Re: Pilot Career by shushu(f): 5:34pm On Jul 27, 2008
pilot77 pls send your email address to wendyc96@yahoo.co.uk and we'll discuss from there .
thanks
Re: Pilot Career by pilot77(m): 8:16pm On Jul 28, 2008
shushu,please check ur yahoo messenger
Re: Pilot Career by shushu(f): 9:42am On Jul 29, 2008
pilot77,
can you send a mail to the address i sent earlier.i do not know which messenger id you sent the mail to.i do not have a yahoo messenger account in wendyc96.
cheers
Re: Pilot Career by pilot77(m): 5:48pm On Jul 29, 2008
shu shu,i'm sending u a mail right away.
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 5:14pm On Jul 30, 2008
hello people for those that applied to vk have any of you have an idea of when the test would be?and for the pilots if am able to fund my ppl how easy do you think it would be for me to get a sponsor for my cpl?wham what stage of the bristow interview did you drop off? did you apply this year again?
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 5:17pm On Jul 30, 2008
sorry i meant to write ppl not people
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 5:21pm On Jul 30, 2008
my system error smileynow i hope i beat it P.P.L cool
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 5:34pm On Jul 30, 2008
saw this article thought it may interest some;
Shortage Of Airline Pilots: Nigeria’s Creeping, 1 Week, 4 Days ago Karma: 0
Published at Leadership Nigeria
Author: Capt Daniel Omale

Recently, IRS Airlines’ Embraer 145 regional jet (RJ) was grounded for over two weeks because of lack of crew. The pilots were poached and offered more money by Aero and Arik Airlines. For any airlines paying less than N1.3m per month per airline captain, there is every tendency that another airline will offer more pay, and snatch pilots from the least paying company. This is the current trend in aviation industry in Nigeria. There is acute shortage of pilots world wide, but our focus is on our own industry _base_d on immediate and future demands.

When Virgin Nigeria debuted a few years ago, most of the airlines operating in Nigeria at the time lost experienced pilots to the new outfit; this created another circle of shortage of pilots in the industry. Many airlines had to hike pilots’ pay to avoid further loss of their valuable crews, but the issue became worse when Arik Air emerged and flooded the country with modern jets acquired in cash. The desperation to commence flight operations and register their presence everywhere possible in the country, led to higher demand for experienced crews within and outside the country. With more demand for pilots, salaries and other remunerations quickly rose to all new level ever witnessed in the country. Aero’s desire to maintain their standard led to the first explosion of salary upgrade in the industry.

As for IRS airlines mentioned above, the only solution was to import foreign pilots into the country for the job. Other airlines like Bellview and Virgin, even Arik are currently engaging foreign crews to help out the situation. Today, it is quite hopeless to give any time _frame_ for the utilisation of foreign pilots in Nigeria. Prior to this dilemma, foreign pilots were limited to six months of stay in Nigeria, especially for wet leased aircraft.

When Dornier Aviation Nigeria Aeip limited (DANA) called for pilots’ interview a few weeks ago, the very few that bothered to attend demanded nothing less than N1.1m per month in additional to boisterous flying allowances and other perks. As bad as the situation is, the overall effect is another envisaged increased in passenger fares in addition to the fuel -price crisis.

The main issue is not the situation but what the future holds for the industry, if the government is not looking at the best way to alleviate this problem. We say that it is up to the airlines to fend for themselves, but the resultant effects could truncate the whole industry whereby crews’ workload would increase, and the risk of fatigue which could cause major aircraft accidents would resurface in the country.

Many airlines in the country are fond of enticing pilots with extra flying allowances _base_d on actual flight hours flown in a given period. Most pilots are easily lured into more flights and more pay syndrome, a situation that has created accident prone tendencies that the regulatory authority can hardly detect.

The first question in our minds should stem from finding out some of the reasons responsible for the shortage of pilots in Nigeria, although the number of airlines has decreased over the years. There is acute shortage of airline pilots world wide and most airlines around the world are poaching crews from every where to augment demand necessities. Some airlines have embarked vigorously outsourcing crew training to reputable flying schools with tailored programs to meet their immediate needs. Unfortunately, in Nigeria, this is not the case. Since 1995, there have been less than 50 newly trained commercial pilots in the country. Within this same time, over 100 old pilots have retired from the system, thereby creating a big vacuum of shortages.

The biggest setbacks in the industry for available pilots are the demise of Nigeria Airways, the mandatory retirement age of 62 years, and of course, in the past, lack of regular pilot training program at the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology (NCAT), Zaria, until the arrival of the current leadership of the college. The new team of NCAT under Capt. Bayo Araba, in less than 18 months in office, has trained young pilots to graduation stages. While commercial pilot program takes about 24 months to accomplish (all things being equal), the cost of training a pilot in Nigeria has risen to over N5.0 million because of fuel costs, instructors’ remunerations and supporting aircraft spares.

On my visit to the college a few days ago, I learnt that the cost of aviation gasoline, the fuel used for basic training on the Tampico aircraft has skyrocketed to about N500 per litre and there is near zero availability. It is also estimated that the school burns almost N5.0 million fuels on a good training day. If we have to use a psychological term of "representative heuristics," there is immediate need for full financial support of NCAT to avoid future training distortions, since we have to look at the scarcity of the 100LL gasoline and the cost trend. Another serious solution to this crisis is the deployment of technology into the training program to reduce actual physical flight training in the aircraft. Aircraft simulators, computer -_base_d equipment that can substitute training requirements are not cheap, but they are the only substitute, if acquired, that can support the immediate need of the college. Another solution dimension is the need to change the current fleet of training aircraft used by the college. This line of thinking is definitely the most expensive as acquisition cost of the new type of aircraft may be too high to bear right away in addition to type -training expenses for the flying instructors and engineers.

On the whole, the government needs to do more than what it is currently doing to support the training of our future pilots. The immediate past rector of the college got approval of N3.2 billion intervention fund about three years ago, but up till now, the fund is still dangling in the Ministry of Finance without a clear path to its attainment. This, of course, is our _style_ of project financing, especially where federal government is concerned on serious issues.

But despite blaming the government for the delay in releasing funds to upgrade training equipment at NCAT, the primary responsibility for crew training lies completely in the hands of the airlines themselves. While there is great demand for pilots, the best our airlines have done is poaching experienced pilots trained by other airlines, whose basic trainings were paid for by the government or from personal purses. For airlines interested in future growth and expansion, there is a vital need to embark on paying for training for the future generations of young crews that would continue from this generation.

Unfortunately, our airlines plan and operate cowboy-_style_ approach because they do not see the benefit of training for the future or more so, they are skeptical of training pilots that would be poached by their competitors—the _style_ everyone in the industry is highly used to.

Whichever way we look at it, the future is getting very dim since planning for tomorrow is the only way to salvage this dilemma. Some one must take the bull by the horn; government must provide the infrastructure, while the airlines pay for the training if actually, they intend to stay longer in business.

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 7:31pm On Jul 30, 2008
Hello house,

I casaully applied for bristow pilot training and i got a mail inviting me for an apptitude test. Has anyone gotten his/her mail yet.
Keep in touch pls.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 7:34pm On Jul 30, 2008
Nice one superboi!

There's a similar article on the dearth of Aviators on This Day, 28th Jully. It just makes it a more lucrative job but probably more demanding (flying hours)

@Superboi
I reached the final Stage. I didnt reapply. They haven't even sent those that made it through for training yet. Bristow is playing with pples time and efforts. Its easier to scale tru with at least a PPL (fixed wings, OR better still, HPPL). It was almost like they just wanted to see how far those without training would go in the process.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 7:37pm On Jul 30, 2008
@IVY4U

mail me on whamatix@yahoo.com and I'll give U a prep guide for bristow. I did it last year
Re: Pilot Career by Dedax(m): 8:28pm On Aug 01, 2008
@2.5m for a PPL I think NCAT will have tough time attracting students.
Read the thread from the beginning and glad I'm here.

So Wham here I am.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 10:08pm On Aug 01, 2008
@Dedax
You are welcome sir. Your contributions would be appreciated
Re: Pilot Career by RotorHead1: 11:24am On Aug 07, 2008
Hi All,

I stumbled on this thread while searching on Google for some information, I am an aspiring aviator as well, I have also attended 1 of the Arline interviews but wasn't called upon,and recently I applied to Virgin Nigeria as a Cadet.I am very much encouraged by this forum and hope we can make a headway with each others help.I am really interested in the Flight school in Abidjan as afore mentioned by Pilot77.

There are also some cheaper flight schools in Greece for fixed wing training, and they offer a JAR license, compared with the ICAO thats more common from SA.

I opine that Aviation training needs more funding in Nigeria if we are going to witness a sustainable level for growth and development in the industry.

All those who aspire should remain gallant.
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 4:56pm On Aug 07, 2008
hello rotor head kool that you joined.please do you have the address to those greek schools?i would appreciate it if you could share them.
Re: Pilot Career by tobaaro(m): 7:40pm On Aug 07, 2008
I've been very silent in monitoring this thread but i dscovered i could be missin somthng, PLss Airline peopl, need evry info possible, I've applied for VirginNigeria. Culdnt apply for Bristow cos havnt done NYSC. Graduated wit a 2ndClass Upper in Economics but my heart belongs 2 d skies.

U can send me any relevant info at [email]nointdhands@gmail.com[/email]
Re: Pilot Career by RotorHead1: 7:01pm On Aug 08, 2008
Here is a god one in Cyprus,they have a very friendly information desk.

www.griffonaviation.com
Re: Pilot Career by tobaaro(m): 11:05pm On Aug 09, 2008
Thanx alot bross,
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 3:38pm On Aug 11, 2008
Hmmn! I'll check that out.

[size=13pt]Any info on schools in Ukraine?[/size]

I've been away for a while.
Re: Pilot Career by RotorHead1: 4:53pm On Aug 11, 2008
Hi all, i have come across a couple of schools in Ukraine,their National University inclusive, but a PPL there could take as long as 18 months for some reason, though costs are the cheapest I have seen so far, will put the details on here as soon as I have them hands on.
Re: Pilot Career by stalker(f): 5:10pm On Aug 11, 2008
Hi all

I have been following this thread and i give u pilots and aspiring pilots thumbs up. Ok to the main gist - a little bird told me that Arikair is looking for pilots and engineers to train. i would try and get the full gist for you guys.

Criteria for the scholarship
- Must be a graduate.
- Must not be above 25 years old.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 11:25am On Aug 12, 2008
That will be good (I mean the Arik Air idea).

Pls keep us informed.

AS FOR BRISTOW APPLICANTS HAVING THEIR APTITUDE TEST TODAY. . .

ALL THE BEST, MAKE US PROUD
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 8:42am On Aug 14, 2008
I hear the Ilorin International College of Aviation have done their seletion.
For now I think they basically took guys with PPLs or CPLs already.

They needed cadets for them to train and build a team of Instructors for the new school. I hear their physical structures are coming up on the site.

They are to send some of the guys to a school in dubai to complete their training (They affiliated with the Flying school in Dubai).
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 4:02pm On Aug 14, 2008
i also appiled 4 dat college.when did they do their test? any how as thanks for the info wham you are a great help
Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 11:15pm On Aug 14, 2008
Anybody here from Bayelsa State might be interested in this:

http://www.thetidenews.com/article.aspx?qrDate=08/14/2008&qrTitle=Bayelsa%20to%20train%2020%20pilots&qrColumn=NIGER%20DELTA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Male Nigerian Nurse: Proud Of His Profession / Meet The Aliu Family Of Medical Doctors Where All 5 Sisters Are Medical Doctors / Adaobi Nwosu: Police Officer Celebrates Birthday With Stunning Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.