Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,847 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:22 AM

President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) (9493 Views)

President Buhari's Address At The European Parliament (Video) / Jonathan's Speech At Handover Presentation. / BREAKING NEWS: Chaos In South African Parliament - CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by zaandrew: 8:48am On Sep 06, 2013
chucky234: I can tell from your argument that you were born in 1994 when Nelson Mandela was elected the first president in SA thats why you were not aware of the important role Nigeria played in SA apartheid era,why not ask a honest elderly person around you to confirm the sacrisfies we made for SA to gain freedom from those blood thirsty Dutch and Portuguese who made life unbearable for your people years before you were born to enjoy the peace of the post-apartheid SA.
Ungrateful deluded chronic goons.

Is this your idea of source?
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by zaandrew: 8:52am On Sep 06, 2013
scipher: lol... it's a fact. Nigeria played a role in your road to freedom.. deal with it..and if you can't, kill yourself

in the same way diaper helps a toddlor keep his pants clean. by being full of ....
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by zaandrew: 9:08am On Sep 06, 2013
sweetcheecks:

Oh my dear Zaandrew, leave these people to what they believe. You're wasting your time. If it makes them feel good let them have it, please. We know better and we honour our helpers. They must see how the President of one of the countries that was in the frontlines of South Africa's liberation, Cuba was recieved in SA Parliament. Amazingly I have never heared Fidel Castro or Cubans remind SA of their direct involvement to liberate the Southern African countries. Not even in his speech did he want to mention it, becouse we all know it, so does everyone hence theres no need for reminders as it is an undisputed fact.

See video of Fidel Castro's reception in South Africa & Namibia.Let others keep reminding us, its sad really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tNF0YkRQjM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4tNF0YkRQjM

You right. They know they don't need to talk about it. Every one knows.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 06, 2013
Truckpusher: Lmao grin grin @ writing a scumbag like you a letter ,keep on hallucinating and having this schizophrenia that runs in your family.

My advice to you is to stop doing cheap crack before coming to spew trash before intelligent and well read people whilst deceiving yourself that you're an American even your grammatical composition can only be compared to that of an ordinary village boy that had no access to quality education.How i wish that NL can narrow down peep's location to enable us see that cave you keep crawling out from to type this your gibberish that stinks with bad educational background.

Your type probably live in one Detroit ghetto committing unimaginable crimes while basking in the euphoria of living abroad because if your life is so sweet ,you wouldn't give a rat azz about what happens in Nigeria but i guess that your failure and frustration keeps getting the better part of you ,hence the usual ranting like a rabid mad dog without an owner.......smh

oya run along you little piece of cunnt...... sonaofabitch
All of this just for lil ol' me? I don't speak Gorilla so I won't waste my time reading ur barbbage. Just stop hounding me around, stop sending me emails and go back to posting profile pics of u posing with giant exotic fishes in front of that old dilapidated truck in hopes of trying to entice 16yr old gals on NL, Mr.Yerima.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by Adamskuty(m): 5:35pm On Sep 06, 2013
vascey: It truly was a great speech.

President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan's address to the South African Parliament

Mr Speaker
Mr Deputy Speaker
Other Principal Members of Parliament
Honourable Members of both Chambers of Parliament
Excellencies, Members of the Diplomatic Corps
Distinguished Invitees
Ladies and Gentlemen,

1. May I use this opportunity to say how delighted my delegation and I have been since our arrival in South Africa. I am also deeply appreciative of the warm hospitality and reception accorded to us. This is also evident in the manner the leadership of the Parliament has received us this afternoon. All of these are consistent with the well-known South African hospitality. I wish, particularly, to thank my brother, President Jacob Zuma, for extending the invitation to me to pay this State Visit to South Africa.

2. Mr Speaker, Distinguished Parliamentarians, Ladies and Gentlemen, it is indeed a great honour to be given the opportunity to address the Joint Sitting of members of this august body, the South African Parliament. As the arm of government charged with the important responsibility of making laws for the good order and governance of South Africa, the role of Parliament is crucial to the progress of this country and the welfare of its people.

3. Harmonious relationship between all the three arms of government, especially between the legislative and executive arms, is imperative for the objectives of good governance, and national progress. We in Nigeria are delighted to know that both the Executive and the Legislature in South Africa have forged a strong bond for the people’s benefit. It is an example that is worthy of emulation by some other countries where the doctrine of the separation of powers and cordial intra-governmental relations still remain a knotty challenge.

4. At this forum, it is only proper that we acknowledge and pay tribute to those who made the freedom and democracy which our two countries enjoy today possible. Generations of young Africans grew up in the last 50 years to witness and study the singular and collective heroism, as well as the inspirational examples of many icons of the South African anti-apartheid struggle, Chief Albert Luthuli, Walter Sisulu, the Madiba, President Nelson Mandela, Oliver Thambo, Govan Mbeki, Steve Biko, Chris Hani, and other men and women of valour and integrity who were imbued with the spirit of sacrifice, patriotism, and devotion to the common good.

5. This new “Rainbow Nation” where freedom and equality are now established as inviolable principles is the product of their vision and dedication.

6. Similarly in Nigeria, our people will forever remember the efforts and contributions of Dr. Herbert Macaulay, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Sir Ahmadu Bello, Ernest Ikoli, Margaret Ekpo and many others who fought hard to secure Nigeria’s independence from divisive, colonial rule. These men, and women, in our two countries, paved the way for the freedom we enjoy today. The people’s liberty was well fought for and earned.

7. The huge debt that we owe the heroes of our history is not to be complacent with the freedom of our people and the democracy that we have established. We can stand on the shoulders of the icons of our history: in so doing we will be able to look much farther into the future, but this also comes with a responsibility and a duty: the duty to ensure that as leaders in Africa today, we also leave worthy legacies for successor generations.

8. Mr Speaker, Distinguished Parliamentarians, Ladies and Gentlemen, twenty-two years ago, Africa’s living legend, President Nelson Mandela, was released from prison. Since then, your country has travelled, more steadily on a path of progress and grown in stature. We do not only have a new South Africa under black majority rule, its institutions and processes have become inclusive. A new generation has emerged that is fired by a sense of unalloyed patriotism and common destiny.

9. Here we are, today, with the Head of State of another African country addressing the Joint Sitting of the Parliament of a free, independent and democratic South Africa that has assumed its rightful place in the comity of nations.

10. We have arrived at such a moment as this, because the people of South Africa never gave up their belief in the rightness of their cause in their quest for freedom and equality. The peoples of Africa and the rest of the civilised world did not also relent in the support they gave to the people of South Africa to remove the shackles of racism, apartheid and colonialism which combined to hold them down for so long.

11. The role played by individual nations, including my country Nigeria, in the struggle for the emergence of a new South Africa that is non-racial, independent and democratic is already part of the special linkages between our two countries. In those dark seasons, Nigerians stood by their South African brothers and sisters, because we shared your pain and concerns. Today, we also stand shoulder to shoulder with you as brothers and sisters and as partners, working together in pursuit of mutually beneficial interests.

12. Suffice it to say that throughout the long-drawn, anti-apartheid struggle, although we were not geographically contiguous, Nigeria was, nevertheless, considered a Frontline State, by the sheer fact of our commitment to the just struggle for freedom in Southern Africa.
13. It is important to recall, that this was a cause every Nigerian was committed to, not just those in government, but the people themselves. It was for this reason the Southern African Relief Fund (SARF) was created.

14. This was funded with deductions from the salary of every Nigerian worker, irrespective of rank, both in the public and private sectors as well as donations from ordinary Nigerians in all walks of life, including students. This fund was placed at the disposal of the liberation struggle.

15. Nigeria provided scholarships for students from South Africa. Our musicians waxed albums in support of the anti-apartheid struggle, a memorable one in this respect being Sonny Okosun’s timeless piece, “Fire in Soweto”. Our poets wrote protest literature denouncing man’s inhumanity to man; whenever South Africans protested against injustice, Nigerian students also took to the streets in support and solidarity.

16. At the international level, Nigeria gave leadership at the United Nations, the Organization of African Unity, as it then was, the Commonwealth and several other fora in the fight against apartheid. For instance, we chaired the UN Special Committee Against Apartheid (UNSCAA) for most of its existence.

17. We spearheaded the boycott of the Commonwealth Games. We nationalised the assets of British Petroleum (BP) and kept away from our borders those who had dealings with the then racist minority regimes in Southern Africa, all in the course of the fight against apartheid and minority rule. Your struggle was our struggle, your pain was our pain, and today, your freedom is our freedom.

18. Mr Speaker, Distinguished Parliamentarians, Ladies and Gentlemen, South Africa and Nigeria have been placed by destiny to play a leading role in the emergence of the new Africa – a renaissance Africa, whose beginnings are already evident. This new Africa would be a democratic, united and peaceful Africa and its construction is the challenge of our time.

19. At a time when many developed countries of the world are facing the challenges of economic and financial crises, including the sovereign debt crisis, Africa’s economic growth rate seems to be on the upward trajectory.

20. Today, in the area of governance, the story is also positive: we have many more democratic nations in Africa than at any other time in our history. Sadly, however, democratic institutions are still weak in many African countries; there are also conflicts and routine violations of the rule of law. These are being addressed by our sub-regional and regional organizations on the basis of commonly agreed peace and security protocols.

21. In addition, African legislatures must see the need to insist on respect for the rule of law and accountability in the conduct of governmental affairs across Africa. More than ever before, we Africans must take our destiny in our hands and make a success of it.

22. At no other time than today, should the continent as a whole, and our two countries in particular, focus our minds on the nature and direction of this renaissance. On the 25th of this month, Africa will be celebrating the golden jubilee of the Organization of African Unity, now the African Union. The major task of the continental organisation was to liberate the African continent from the vestiges of colonialism, racism and apartheid.

23. As we take stock of the achievements of our continental organization, it is also appropriate that we reflect and decide where our continent should be in the next fifty years. That destination has to be a democratic and united Africa that is at peace with itself and can compete with the rest of the world.

24. Mr Speaker, Distinguished Parliamentarians, Ladies and Gentlemen, there is no doubt that in the global scheme of things, Africa has emerged as the new frontier for trade and investment. This provides another opportunity for our continent to embark on the road to economic emancipation, now that the political liberation of the continent is almost complete.

25. In the context of this new interest in Africa, it is important that African leadership across the continent recognises the extra burden of responsibility expected of it to manage the situation in a manner that would be beneficial to our people. There is certainly a lot more that we can do.

26. We must work together to put an end to the exploitation and exploration of Africa’s resources for export without any value added; in this regard, African countries must transform from being primary sources of raw material into producers to create jobs and opportunities for our people. We must check the loss of Africa’s trained manpower to already developed countries, these are the very people we need to scale up our economies as well as improve our public and social services.

27. We must work together, to promote trade and investment among our countries and build trans-national infrastructure in such critical sectors as trade, telecommunications, and transportation in order to fast-track the process of people-centred, continental integration.

28. We must check the illicit transfer of huge sums of money to the developed world from Africa through sharp practices such as transfer pricing, tax evasion and corruption, all of which contribute to Africa’s economic under-performance.

29. Many African countries are faced with the challenges of terrorism and other acts of violence which compound security problems across national and regional borders. African leaders, and particularly our parliaments, must commit to the plan to check the proliferation of small arms and light weapons. The production, circulation and use of these arms and weapons pose a serious threat to political stability and the safety and welfare of the people.

30. Our two countries are placed in a unique position to lead all of Africa to the promised land where poverty, inequality, want, disease, communal and inter-state conflicts would largely be a thing of the past. South Africa and Nigeria, with our robust economies and large markets, are well placed to accelerate the emergence of this Renaissance Africa.

31. Happily, we already have a mechanism established to drive our bilateral relations in all its ramifications. It is heartening to know that our Bi-National Commission which functions at a very high level is successful. In this connection, as we continue the implementation of my country’s transformation agenda, I am happy to report that the outlook on Nigeria’s economy remains positive with strong fundamentals.

32. Even in this challenging global environment, Nigeria’s growth rate which averaged nearly 7% over the past 5 years is expected to reach 7.2% in 2013, according to IMF forecasts. This makes Nigeria one of the fastest growing economies in the world.

33. South Africa as a major investor in the Nigerian economy is a major beneficiary of this development. South African companies like MTN, Standard Bank, Multichoice, Multilinks, the Protea hotel chain, Shoprite, among others are actively engaged and are actually thriving in virtually every sector of the Nigerian economy from telecommunications to power, education, aviation, construction, hospitality, entertainment and retail trade.

34. Nigerians are also active in the South African economy. Our Bi-National Commission must however begin to pay careful attention to the need for balance of trade between our two countries in order to make our economic interactions truly beneficial.

35. Mr Speaker, Distinguished Parliamentarians, Ladies and Gentlemen, our two countries have not been found wanting as can be seen in the leadership we are giving to our respective sub-regions as well as to the continent as a whole. We must realise that we can achieve more, acting in concert than acting alone. We in Nigeria are committed to doing more to discharge the responsibilities that providence has placed on us. I have no doubts that South Africa will also continue to do the same.

36. The same spirit should be adopted in tackling the challenges that face our continent in the international arena. Here, I have in mind the non-representation of Africa in certain organs of the global governance architecture notably the permanent membership category of the United Nations Security Council.

37. For a start, it is important that we work together to ensure that the reform of the United Nations system is accorded the priority that it deserves and resolved speedily. The commitment of all Africans should be to strengthen Africa’s place in the United Nations. It is not a matter of competition but putting Africa in the best light.

38. As we look into the future, I see ground for optimism and hope. I see an Africa on the rise, an Africa that is resilient, upbeat and confident about its capacity to handle its challenges. All we need is to mobilise the required political will and to be relentless in our quest to achieve our collective dream. Acting together, we have already achieved milestones that some thought impossible such as ridding our continent of the triple scourges of colonialism, racism and apartheid.

39. The role of the Legislature in helping to bring this about cannot be over-emphasized. It is for this reason that I call on you, distinguished and honourable members of Parliament, to join hands with the Executive and the other arm of government both in this great country and the rest of the continent to bring about this African Renaissance.

40. My presence here today signals a spirit of renewal of our partnership. Together, we will make Africa great. Leadership comes with sacrifices. As leaders in Africa, we must commit ourselves to break down barriers and foster regional trade and integration.

41. We must build stronger and more resilient economies to create jobs and unleash hope for millions of our people. The dark periods are over, a new era has begun.

42. Mr Speaker, this great rainbow nation has bequeathed to humanity, a beautiful story of unity in diversity. It is an amazing story of triumph over daunting challenges in very difficult circumstances.

43. By demonstrating to the world that diversity can be a spring board to peaceful co-existence, unity and progress, South Africa and South Africans have reaffirmed that the colour of our skin; the language we speak and our religious beliefs are only accessories to existence not existence itself. At the core of existence is the dignity of our humanity.

44. Now together we must sing the song of democracy and development so as to defend our dignity which has come under the assault of deprivation and poverty. Now together, we must stand in solidarity for economic and social justice for our people.

45. Together, we shall continue to make Africa a land of delight, a land of great hope and glorious aspirations where dreams come true, for us and the generations to come.

46. Mr Speaker, very distinguished members of parliament, the words of your National Anthem continue to inspire us:
“Nkosi sikelel’Afrika… Nkosi sikelela thina lusapho lwayo...” (Lord bless Africa … Lord bless us…We are the family of it)

47. Once more, thank you for this opportunity to share a few thoughts with you.

48. I thank you.

http://www.pmg.org.za/president-federal-republic-nigeria-goodluck-jonathans-address-south-african-parliament
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by Adamskuty(m): 5:39pm On Sep 06, 2013
[quote author=Adamskuty][/quote] we really helped those people ooh,we even gave scholarship to them,haba grin free education,and we sent money to them as well,our musicians even sang on behalf of them and they assisted them with the money they make from these albums ,oooh boooy!

Well! I quoted it already incase of any incasity in the future,i'll use it against any south moda'fvcker who wants to mess with "mister" adams grin

especially that smeghead bald headed ugly charcoal snort nose tumi"sang" grin what a name, "sang" grin #faints
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by zaandrew: 5:44pm On Sep 06, 2013
Adamskuty: we really helped those people ooh,we even gave scholarship to them,haba grin free education,and we sent money to them as well,our musicians even sang on behalf of them and they assisted them with the money they make from these albums ,oooh boooy!

Well! I quoted it already incase of any incasity in the future,i'll use it against any south moda'fvcker who wants to mess with "mister" adams grin

especially that smeghead bald headed ugly charcoal snort nose tumi"sang" grin what a name, "sang" grin #faints

Please. You really think that is help?
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by Adamskuty(m): 10:14pm On Sep 06, 2013
zaandrew:

Please. You really think that is help?
go get teabagged by a mad dog in a dam alley,u confused cursed doomed aperthied monkey grin what da'fuq do u know? No other nation helped u all lazy black azz like we did,meeeeehn! U guys really suffered in ur own land,i hope u have watched the movie call "sarafina? grin u need to thank your God for nigeria wink if not by now u will still be picking gabages in the street of soweto and made to lie in gutters,lool! Is afrikaans still used as the official language in school over there? It's a shame that some alien will come from other countries and treat y'all like fowls in ur own backyard,a tiny little less than 1% for that matter and still yet u all have to wait for ur 9ja masters to save ur sorry azz.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by Adamskuty(m): 10:30pm On Sep 06, 2013
Even after we succesfully helped u all and ended the aperthied by ourself for u people (note:- no black s.a ended aperthied we did)

majority of y'all are still like this man down here grin illiterates,school drop out and drug addict grin

i just don't get it,9ja niggas and russian niggas will bring drug into ur country ,they ain't making use of this hard drugs,their country men ain't taking it grin but y'all rush this drugs like some kind of honey grin

just look at what the effect of drugs have done to this S.a monkey over here grin he's sitting at the entrance of his 9ja master shop patiently waiting for any give away grin grin

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by donodion(m): 9:11am On Sep 07, 2013
Adamskuty: Even after we succesfully helped u all and ended the aperthied by ourself for u people (note:- no black s.a ended aperthied we did)

majority of y'all are still like this man down here grin illiterates,school drop out and drug addict grin

i just don't get it,9ja niggas and russian niggas will bring drug into ur country ,they ain't making use of this hard drugs,their country men ain't taking it grin but y'all rush this drugs like some kind of honey grin

just look at what the effect of drugs have done to this S.a monkey over here grin he's sitting at the entrance of his 9ja master shop patiently waiting for any give away grin grin
Oh My Word !!! is that dude a saffer? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by MthimbaneZA(m): 8:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
Adamskuty: Even after we succesfully helped u all and ended the aperthied by ourself for u people (note:- no black s.a ended aperthied we did)

You and your culture of drugs. Ooh lord help this child he doesn't know wht is there to boast about.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by MthimbaneZA(m): 8:43pm On Sep 08, 2013
[b][/b]

Even after we what, sonny pliz show the world that u r not dumb say it again who freed us.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by sweetcheecks(f): 10:37pm On Sep 09, 2013

just look at what the effect of drugs have done to this S.a monkey over here grin he's sitting at the entrance of his 9ja
master shop patiently waiting for any give away grin grin
Guy you are a sick liar. This is a nigerian no where in SA you would find naked people running around like in Nigeria. Its your thing, your women strip naked to protest, bus drivers strip naked to avoid being arrested and robbed by your corrupt police and army, your area boys run around shoe-less and half naked becouse of peverty and your desperate man who dance unclad for a chance to win money on a musicians (davido) stoopid cd. cheesy We are a civilised country not a third world country where people lack even basic needs like clothes or
shoes. Thats probably your Papa you silly boy gone crazy from all the juju you people concort day and night cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At The South-African Parliament (Video) by Boll2010: 11:25pm On Sep 09, 2013
sweetcheecks:
Guy you are a sick liar. This is a nigerian no where in SA you would find naked people running around like in Nigeria. Its your thing, your women strip naked to protest, bus drivers strip naked to avoid being arrested and robbed by your corrupt police and army, your area boys run around shoe-less and half naked becouse of peverty and your desperate man who dance unclad for a chance to win money on a musicians (davido) stoopid cd. cheesy We are a civilised country not a third world country where people lack even basic needs like clothes or
shoes. Thats probably your Papa you silly boy gone crazy from all the juju you people concort day and night cheesy cheesy cheesy
quit bein ridiculous if u c sumone from southern part of african are u telln me u wnt recognise#xcept u got blank mind

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Even Porn Stars Dont Display Their Carrots Like That" Nigerians To Dino Melaye / The Fate Of Nigerdelta If Nigeria Splits. / Court Restrains Kano Government From Inviting or arresting Ganduje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.