Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,501 members, 7,781,518 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:03 PM

Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC (12080 Views)

$3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG / LASTMA Officers Arrest Military,NSCDC Officers Driving On BRT Lane In Lagos(pics / Abdullahi Gana Appointed As NSCDC Commandant By Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by AkamuandStew: 7:34am On Sep 04, 2013
Sue NSCDC, Fashola orders OPD

on September 04, 2013 at 12:20 am in News

BY OLASUNKANMI AKONI & ABDULWAHAB ABDULAH

LAGOS — Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, Tuesday gave a marching order to the Office of the Public Defender, OPD, to take legal action against the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps NSCDC, for allegedly arresting eight residents of Ejigbo Local Council Development Area LCDA, whose wells were found to have been polluted by oil spill from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC pipeline in the area.

It would be recalled that NSCDC officials, last week, allegedly invaded the buildings at No.17 and 30 Aminatu Ilo Street, in Ejigbo LCDA, and arrested eight persons, including a landlord and his wife, a pregnant woman on the suspicion that they dug their well to the level of oil pipeline which runs through the area.

The governor through the Commissioner for the Environment, Tunji Bello, had, weekend, condemned the alleged unwarranted arrest and urged the victims to institute legal action against NSCDC.

he underground well polluted with fuel at Ejigbo Local Council Development Area, LCDA.

He noted that the “illegal arrest” was carried out without proper investigation.

However, Fashola, who frowned seriously at what he termed “indiscriminate arrest of innocent citizens.”

A team of the OPD, led by its Director, Mrs. Omotola Rotimi, visited the affected area on Monday to interact with the people arrested by NSCDC.

She also faulted the arrest, disclosing that the governor had directed OPD to take up legal action against the NSCDC, explaining that OPD had since secured the release of the arrested persons, but would be suing for damages.

The OPD director spoke with the owners of the two houses who claimed that they informed Ejigbo Police Station when they first noticed that substance suspected to be fuel was coming out of their wells instead of water.

They claimed the Police took them to NNPC office to make an official report, stressing that NNPC officials came to take samples from the well and sealed it off with the promise that they would return on Monday, August 26, 2013.

But on Saturday, August 24,according to them,NSCDC came to arrest them and all pleas to them that the matter had been officially reported to the appropriate quarters fell on deaf ears.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/09/sue-nscdc-fashola-orders-opd/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by deeptesting(m): 8:23am On Sep 04, 2013
Honestly,the manner with which NSCDC conducted itself in this case was nothing short of despicable,the innocent people were subjected to various dehumanizing conditions, detained and paraded on Camera like common criminals even after they showed evidence of pictures to back their claim that the matter has been reported to the police and NNPC. It is pathetic why we have deliberately and helplessly refuse to accept civilization in Nigeria.

9 Likes

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by Nobody: 8:28am On Sep 04, 2013
deeptesting: Honestly,the manner with which NSCDC conducted itself in this case was nothing short of despicable,the innocent people were subjected to various dehumanizing conditions, detained and paraded on Camera like common criminals even after they showed evidence of pictures to back their claim that the matter has been reported to the police and NNPC. It is pathetic why we have deliberately and helplessly refuse to accept civilization in Nigeria.

Absolutely reprehensible, I tell you.
Ours is still a society where the authorities seldom admit culpability when in the wrong.

As someone high up the NSCDC chain must have sanctioned the parade, the folks who got arrested must be adequately compensated.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by Jesuspikin87(m): 8:41am On Sep 04, 2013
Okay

1 Like

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by Emmy3(m): 8:42am On Sep 04, 2013
That arrest was inhuman & injustified....
Thankz, to the current best governor in Nigeria....
OPD sue NSCDC and Amnesty International sue my man for him deportation f*ck up.....
Live and lets' live..

12 Likes

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by femi4: 8:44am On Sep 04, 2013
Make I begin dig well for my backyard. Who knows? I fit turn to oil depot

1 Like

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by Nobody: 8:51am On Sep 04, 2013
This is what a government is meant to constitute... Pursuing justice for your people, weak or strong.

7 Likes

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by braine(m): 8:51am On Sep 04, 2013
Government of the people• Its nice to see the common man being defended•

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by Emmy3(m): 8:52am On Sep 04, 2013
bcomputer101: I'm commenting for no reason...

And i need LIKES for no reason...

Sorry, I dont 'LIKE' without reason.
Make ur comment reasonable and get 'LIKES'......

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by Mexyz(m): 8:53am On Sep 04, 2013
The way NSCDC handled dat case was poor,but at the same time the owners and tenants of that house can't be exonerated of d crime. Dey were filling 20L jerry cans wit d said pms, wat was their intentions if not 2 sell them,dats if dey ve nt sld out of it.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by DidiLove1: 8:54am On Sep 04, 2013
The same Fashola that arrested and deported innocent Ibo folks on the charges of being illegal immigrants? Hmmmm.....
Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by princemolak(m): 8:54am On Sep 04, 2013
that is why i call fashola governor of the people

1 Like

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 04, 2013
#Ouicksuitsyndrome.
Lets pray dat he will not order dem to withdraw their suit befor first hearing

1 Like

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by hammedkola(m): 8:57am On Sep 04, 2013
So if NNPC have sealed the well, why did NSCDC arrested them again?... This case isn't complete, something might have triggered the arrest.
Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by Decapo: 8:59am On Sep 04, 2013
Incomplete case the remaining part of d case is in Borno
Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by icedpope(m): 8:59am On Sep 04, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Absolutely reprehensible, I tell you.
Ours is still a society where the authorities seldom admit culpability when in the wrong.

As someone high up the NSCDC chain must have sanctioned the parade, the folks who got arrested must be adequately compensated.
This is Nigeria, where proper research is not being carried out b4 taking measures.
It is a pity though, buh I fink the victims should stand up for their right. Thats wah I fink. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by Trailii: 8:59am On Sep 04, 2013
tommykiwi: No be Fasola na Fashola mr 1st to comment. Nice job the best Governor of these tenure,keep it up!
. I b coret osogbo boy. We don't use 'sh' in our pronunciation instead we use 's'. So permit me to say fasola. Leave fashola to d oyo people!

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by phlamy(m): 9:01am On Sep 04, 2013
hammedkola: So if NNPC have sealed the well, why did NSCDC arrested them again?... This case isn't complete, something might have trigger the arrest.

It is well

10 Likes

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by dejijohns(m): 9:02am On Sep 04, 2013
Its rily painful wen U want to make useful comment on a thread and all dat kips cuming to ur mind is End Time Tinz...

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by Lusola15: 9:13am On Sep 04, 2013
I have the following questions?

How did the NSCDC know the houses that had PMS in their wells?

Were the owners of houses sell and using the PMS in their wells?

And there was no investigation

Pls let me just add, that the Police arrest innocent people every day. The Governor should order OPD to sue them too

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Orders OPD To Sue NSCDC by BlackPeni5: 9:18am On Sep 04, 2013
What the Fuk is Office of Public Defender?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2nd Niger Bridge Funds Released / Reason Why The Yoruba's Are The Most Successful Tribe In Africa / Reps Suspend 2019 Election Sequence Re-ordering Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.