Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

Difficulties In Getting Job With Degree In Geology And Geophysics In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Difficulties In Getting Job With Degree In Geology And Geophysics In Nigeria (12608 Views)

Careers For Graduate With Degree In Banking And Finance / Difficulties In Getting Job With Degree In Geology And Geophysics In Nigeria / Difficulties In Being A Stamara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difficulties In Getting Job With Degree In Geology And Geophysics In Nigeria by jarkata(m): 4:53pm On Sep 04, 2013
Most geologist and geophysicist that i know use to work outside thier field of study.imagin the kind of stress someone undergo before graduating in the field of geology or geophysics,even coming out with 2'2 in some federal university like OAU,FUTA,UNICAL,UNILAG,UNIBEN,UNIPORT and FUTO no be child play.i wonder after all d stress, these dude came out sruggling to get government work like teaching,lecturing and para millitary jobs, the fact remains dat most of the oil companies normally request for minimum of ten to fifteen years of experience with M.sc as an added advantage.That is why it has become neccessary for most scholers in dis field to go for their masters after d first degree.coming out with anything below 2'1 is a difficult task in securing job with multinational oil company like shell,total,mobil, chevron, despite d fact dat some university graduate their students with no students having 2'1 in some set in 90's,i don't want to mention d name of those schools again.i have many friends dat studied dis course,what is d way forward

1 Like

Re: Difficulties In Getting Job With Degree In Geology And Geophysics In Nigeria by Tuntheycr7: 8:04pm On Sep 04, 2013
D issue is dt evrybody wana work 4 oil company wch is not possible. And most of dem as u said wud b lukin 4 at least 5yrs xperience. Even to xtablish a geophysics or borehole drillin company no b beanz. Am a geologist bt now am lookin 4any job available even teachin bcoz i once workd at a drillin company make i no lie u its not encouragin. God hep

1 Like

Re: Difficulties In Getting Job With Degree In Geology And Geophysics In Nigeria by POTUT(m): 11:41am On Nov 05, 2013
Not only oil companies in Nigeria request Masters/PhD. Many job add for geosciences require this, the reason is best known to them.
If you can afford a Masters, anywhere, go for it. If not, don't let the barriers hold you back. Do a deep introspection of your capabilities and move in other directions. Anyone who really studied geophysics can also be a good algorithm developer, a programmer...etc. The world isn't fair, just keep moving while you throw in applications when you see them.
Re: Difficulties In Getting Job With Degree In Geology And Geophysics In Nigeria by Olufemisamuel: 12:01pm On Jul 05, 2020
I see most graduates in the field of geophysicists looking for job but are unable to find one. This is not only attributed to the nature of our crippled economy but also as a result of the myopic thinking of graduates of geophysicists.
Most of them think the only available option out there for them is a career in oil and gas.
Meanwhile, they are totally wrong. Check out some amazing career paths in geophysicist.
https://careerquakers.com/what-does-a-geophysicist-do-skills-salary-career-vacancies/
It mustn't be only oil and gas
Re: Difficulties In Getting Job With Degree In Geology And Geophysics In Nigeria by Olufemisamuel: 2:27am On Aug 21, 2020
Is it really true that geophysics is a good course to study in Nigeria?
This post explains it all. Click on the link to find out; [url] https://www.nigeriaboom.com/2020/08/is-geophysics-good-course-in-nigeria.html[/url]

(1) (Reply)

Can I Learn Both Skills Simultaneously? / How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry / Any Opportunities In Healthcare Consulting/management In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.