Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,781 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:03 PM

419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) (6607 Views)

DSS Alerts Public Of New Tactics By Fraudsters / Oyo Police Parades Fraudsters With Their Charms, Car, & Phones (photos) / We Use Italian Method To Bypass Hi-tech Security – Bank Robbery Suspects[PIC] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by RedHotChic(f): 7:39pm On Jun 15, 2008
Realtor swindler meets his Waterloo
By Yemi Akinsuyi, 06.13.2008

Yinka Sokoya is the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Sokoya and Partners, situated at Suit 11 on the 2nd floor of the Tafawa Balewa Square Complex, Onikan, Lagos. The 42 years old man was arrested in April this year and detained at the SFU cell for defrauding a company to the tune of N6,663,000 million naira.

According to police reports, Yinka, promised to lease out about 370 square metres of space on the first floor of a property situated at No, 77, Ojuelegba Road, Ojuelegba, Surulere, Lagos. The prospective tenant (name withheld) paid a whopping sum of N5 million to Yinka’s company as initial installment for the property.

After the payment, the company’s (tenant) officials went to the place to take charge of the property, but got a shocker. The owner of the property told them that there was no vacancy in the place and that he had never met anyone called Yinka Sokoya. After several efforts to take possession of the property proved abortive, and their money not refunded, Yinka was arrested by the police from the SFU. Suffice it to say that it took policemen from the financial unit of the force considerable time and effort before they caught up with the man who had by this time become elusive.

While Yinka was still telling the police of his involvement in the scam, one Mrs Opeyemi Adegbomire petitioned the police at the SFU that one Yinka Sokoya had fraudulently collected the sum of N15,250,000.00 million from her company, Maevis Nigeria Limited, for a serviced 5-Bedroom detachable house at Cappa Estate, Maryland, Lagos as rent. Prior to the time of moving into the property, some officials of Maevis Nigeria Limited had sent some cleaners to the premise to clean it up, since Yinka had told them that the place had not been occupied for over a year.

However, when the cleaners got there, they met other cleaners contracted by Virgin Atlantic. The Virgin Atlantic cleaners claimed to have been sent by the company to clean up the place for them since they would be moving in the next day. Meanwhile, some parts of the building had already been occupied by some of the staff of the company.

The following day, the staff of Meavis Nigeria Limited, led by Adegbomire, went to the venue of their purported office, but met staff of Virgin Atlantic in full possession of the office space. Not only that, the front office was adorned with the name and logo of Virgin Atlantic.

All efforts to track down Yinka to explain the development proved abortive, as he was nowhere to be found. Adegbomire’s company petitioned the police at SFU and they were told that Yinka was in their custody. When confronted, Yinka pleaded with Maevis’ representatives and promised to refund their money. [b][b]He eventually issued a Union Bank Plc cheque to the tune of N15,250,000.00 million. But on getting to the bank, Adegbomire and other staff of Meavis Nigeria Limited found out it was a dud cheque, as the bank dishonoured it.[/b][/b] To say that the police were furious at this new development, is to state the obvious.

While the police was still investigating the scam and with Yinka still denying his complicity in the sordid affair and insisting that he did not issue a bounced cheque, another organization - this time, a church, the New Covenant Church, Mainland Branch wrote - a petition to SFU against Yinka Sokoya, claiming that he collected some money running into millions of naira from them for a parcel of land on the mainland. When this petition got to the police unit, Yinka was informed about the new development. He did not deny it, but promised to pay back the money once he is released from the police cell.

Speaking on the series of reported allegations of fraud against him, Yinka, who pleaded for privacy, requesting that his activities should not be exposed because of his numerous customers, said he was just owing people and not defrauding them. He claimed to have started paying some of them. Giving his side of the story, Yinka said: “The truth is that my friend gave me some money to pay for a property. Immediately he gave me the money, he travelled abroad. I needed some money and I diverted it to take care of my personal commitments. I did not know that he would return so soon. When he returned and the initial place I got for him had been taken over by another company, he demanded for his money, which I have started paying.

“I don’t know why the police are embarrassing me now. I am a businessman and it is not new for a businessman to owe in the course of doing business transactions. I will pay in full, I only need to be given more time,” Yinka pleaded.

Asked if he was owing other people as claimed by the police, the man insisted that he was only doing business with people and that there is nothing strange in what he had done. “I am sad that this is happening in an advanced country like Nigeria. What is strange about doing business with people? If it had worked out according to plan, would there have been this grouse over a little problem. In fact, I don’t see it as a problem. It’s just the police that is making a mountain out of a mole hill. I will pay back,” he insisted.

Meanwhile, Commissioner of Police in charge of SFU, Mr. Yinka Balogun has vowed to get to the root of the matter and ensure that the people and companies defrauded by Yinka get justice done at the right time.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/jun/14/209.html
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by RedHotChic(f): 7:40pm On Jun 15, 2008
I'm tired of this country called Naija. you can't even rent common house without the fear of someone scamming you. How can somebody, a whole MD rent a property that does not belong to him? Why are most men very dubious? DO NOT PAY ANYBODY ANY RENT UNLESS YOU ARE SURE THEY ARE AUTHORIZED TO LEASE OR AT LEAST HE/SHE(USUALLY HE SHA) HAS THE KEY.
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by ugoceze: 2:29pm On Jul 11, 2014
The same Yinka Sokoya, is currently an oil and gas trader. I was involved in a deal and he made us contribute N5Million naira and made away with the money. Even though the deal worked, he didnt pay anybody. He is a real criminal and everyone should be careful. His phone number is 08038274746. He has more than one line, but this is the most popular one.
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by eposho: 9:19pm On Jul 11, 2014
Now we know y hire killer bus. Will continue to be lucrative.

1 Like

Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by millhouse: 11:15am On Feb 03, 2016
This guy just duped my friend 4 million in d oil and gas biz.
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by SurefireAsoOke: 11:29am On Feb 03, 2016
This guy is a crOok........
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by Ronnie2014: 7:42am On Aug 16, 2016
This guy is a real 419 scammer .every one should please beware. .he is into Dollar business now..he has syndicates abroad and they tell you they have USD3 million to sell..once he gets an interested buyer he would ask for your account number and account manger in the bank.the syndicates abroad starts to call you to make it look real.
He will then begin to monitor the account from abroad to ensure the money is intact.he comes up with stories promising that the imaginery dollar will be sent in 20 minutes or an instruction has been sent to credit your usd account in Nigeria...etc until they conclude on a plan to swindle you. Thank God he wasn't even successful this time.God interveined and we checked him up on the internet and saw his many shaddy businesses.

This is one of many of his tricks ..NO ONE SHOULD DO BUISINESS WITH MR YINKA. .he calls himself a barrister atimes please BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!! He is a fraudster.
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by farila: 5:03pm On Sep 19, 2016
@redhotchic (ur name sounds like a scam to me), U guys are just a Bunch of Hypocrites talking trash on social media, thinking its gonna tarnish the Image of Mr Yinka…..lol….for your information he has successfully closed legitimate deals in which my colleagues & i can testify to, and he has created job opportunities in his company and has made lots of cash in real estate industry, @Ronnie2014, my partner gave him a forex deal worth $250k and it went successfully well without hitches, and for u @ugoceze pls get ur facts right cos he has concluded AGO & BLCO deals successfully in oil n gas industry, @millhouse, ur guy must be a BIG FOOL then, or he doesn’t know anything about the business before jumping into it… so, y’all should get your facts right and stop posting crap on social media….. shocked tongue lipsrsealed grin
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by Karisp: 11:06pm On Sep 20, 2016
Null.
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by George22016(m): 6:56am On Sep 21, 2016
that one no mean say boys go stop yahoo yahoo
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by farila: 11:58am On Sep 21, 2016
His days are numbered. Everyday for the thief but one day for the owner of the house.
His name is ringing bell everywhere for crime and fraudulent activities why? So what's law saying bout this guy?

@karips u didn't even made a point here and u're askig what the law wld say about him? well can go n ask ur mama in the village so that she would explain better to u grin cry undecided
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by Karisp: 11:23am On Sep 22, 2016
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by Priszy: 9:20pm On Mar 09, 2020
Does anyone have a picture of this man please
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by Passionate888: 11:12pm On Mar 09, 2020
Na them o! Yinka Sokoye
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by okoh66(m): 2:58pm On Dec 18, 2021
ugoceze:
The same Yinka Sokoya, is currently an oil and gas trader. I was involved in a deal and he made us contribute N5Million naira and made away with the money. Even though the deal worked, he didnt pay anybody. He is a real criminal and everyone should be careful. His phone number is 08038274746. He has more than one line, but this is the most popular one.
Re: 419 Fraudsters: Beware(method Ii) by Caboceer: 3:18am On Dec 19, 2021
Thieves everywhere you turn for naija

(1) (Reply)

Shoprite Sangotedo Is In Flames. Massive Looting Ongoing / Modern Day Cannibals In Thailand Eat Black Man For Dinner- Truth / 4 Brothers Sent To Kirikiri Prisons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.