Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,414 members, 7,781,201 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:34 AM

Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) (1386 Views)

Instead Of Raining Water In Thailand It Rained Fishes / Mother Of Dead Cairo Reporter Publishes Gut-wrenching Final Text Messages / China’s Yangtze River Mysteriously Turns Blood Red (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by yunfazz: 6:10am On Sep 05, 2013
This is effect of serious environmental pollution as uthorities in China have scooped up around 220,000 pounds of dead fish today that they say were poisoned by ammonia from a chemical plant with dead fish covered the surface of the Fuhe River in central China and stretched for about several kilometers

Officials said sampling of its drain outlet showed that ammonia density far exceeded the national standard.
The company said it was not going to immediately comment.

More devastating pictures after the cut

The local environmental protection in China blamed local company Hubei Shuanghuan Science and Technology Stock Co for the disaster as it was reported that about 1,600 residents in nearby Huanghualao make a living from fishing where the village has 150 fishing boats and fishermen could lose up to 70,000 yuan ($11,400) per day and therefore warned the public not to eat the dead fish, but said drinking water was not affected.

It said it ordered the company to suspend operations and fix the pollution problem.

The official Xinhua News Agency in China said about 220,000 pounds of dead fish had been cleared from 25 miles of the river, but did not cite a figure for the number of fish.
The environmental department said that 'a great number of fish' had been recovered.

Inadequate controls on industry and lax enforcement of existing standards have worsened China's pollution problem, stemming from three decades of breakneck economic growth.

High-profile incidents this year involving dead animals in rivers - not only deaths attributed to pollution but also carcasses dumped by farmers after die-offs at farms - have added to public disgust and suspicions about the safety of drinking water.

I hope that by importing most of our products and goods from China, we wont be importing all these pollution along with them

http://www.tutubranch.com/2013/09/dead-fishes-in-river-pollution.html

Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by achyc2002(m): 6:24am On Sep 05, 2013
Wat a waste
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by Symphony007: 6:29am On Sep 05, 2013
These are the price china has to pay to pay for it's economy to boom...sooner or later when their economy is a standard, sights like this will be unacceptable. During the industrial revolution in the u.k, the thames in london was so poluted, parliament sealed all it's windows. It was a price they had to pay for their economy, but today you can be arrested for throwing anything in the thames.

1 Like

Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 6:32am On Sep 05, 2013
Lets pray they dont export these fish to nigeria
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by Localamos(m): 6:34am On Sep 05, 2013
Chinese people always amaze me (that is mild way of saying disgust).

Air polution, water polution, tainted milk, consumption of human foetus, manufacturing of substandard materials... the list seems endless!

When you see them in Nigeria, they are the most substandard foreigners around. Looking hagard, unkempt, frail.

When they even speak their language, it sounds as if they are fighting!

Do these people have any sense of value?
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 6:42am On Sep 05, 2013
rafhell: Lets pray they dont export these fish to nigeria
BRB undecided "hurrys off to call and warn mum"

Ehee, "takes a deep breath" I am okay now. Atleast my fish-loving mum is aware of the dead fishes because am sure they must have crossed Naija border by now
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by yunfazz: 6:46am On Sep 05, 2013
pathetic
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by Akshow: 7:00am On Sep 05, 2013
Y is it always china wit iroyin kayefi?
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by Vanityupnvanity(m): 7:14am On Sep 05, 2013
Akshow: Y is it always china wit iroyin kayefi?
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by thinka2: 7:16am On Sep 05, 2013
this is serious
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by onyi4edu(f): 7:20am On Sep 05, 2013
M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ only worry is dat dese dead fishes wil b dumped in African countries esp. Nigeria as frozen fish(es)
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by dridowu: 7:24am On Sep 05, 2013
Operation export to Africa
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by thinka2: 7:44am On Sep 05, 2013
I pray those fish won't be exported here!
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by DonHummer(m): 7:45am On Sep 05, 2013
This is genocide,,
what ar the regulatory bodies doin abt this?
See as protein jst dey waste...
I can see one of dos fishermen screamin
END TIME TINZ...
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by edoyad(m): 7:53am On Sep 05, 2013
Localamos: Chinese people always amaze me (that is mild way of saying disgust).

Air polution, water polution, tainted milk, consumption of human foetus, manufacturing of substandard materials... the list seems endless!

When you see them in Nigeria, they are the most substandard foreigners around. Looking hagard, unkempt, frail.

When they even speak their language, it sounds as if they are fighting!

Do these people have any sense of value?

Better learn to like them. Yes they have their issues , and i mean lots of issues, but remember you have brothers over there even worse things.
Africas current impressive growth is directly linked to China so we need ourselves more than ever.
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by thinka2: 8:19am On Sep 05, 2013
edoyad:

Better learn to like them. Yes they have their issues , and i mean lots of issues, but remember you have brothers over there even worse things.
Africas current impressive growth is directly linked to China so we need ourselves more than ever.

that still warrant this negligence and shocking pollution!
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 05, 2013
hope the fishes wont surface in Nigeria market? it will be too bad,if its exported to Nigeria.
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by Afam4eva(m): 8:24am On Sep 05, 2013
Are the fishes still edible?
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 05, 2013
Sometimes I wonder if technology is either a curse or a blessing.
Re: Entire River Covered With 220,000 Pounds Of Dead Fishes From Pollution (PHOTOS) by thinka2: 10:11am On Sep 05, 2013
i wonder too

(1) (Reply)

A Village Where Dead Relatives Are Smoked With Their Fat Used As Cooking Oil / Schoolboy Remarries 62-year-old Woman In Mpumalanga, South Africa / Massive Protests Across The World, Demanding Justice For George Floyd.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.