Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,444 members, 7,808,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? - Programming (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? (119879 Views)

Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Lordpeckxy(m): 10:38am On Jul 26, 2019
Softwares Systems like numerical weather prediction, finite element
analysis, computational fluid dynamics,
computational physics, crystallography and
computational chemistry, Huma Predicting system, Space Launcher Softwares, Operating Underlying Systems, Range and Transistionals Evolution softwares and so much More Requires Deep Knowledge of the theoritical Part of computer......
If you are a lawyer and you studied Law, You can't tell me that because am studying computer science am wasting my time.!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by jelel6: 4:47pm On Jul 26, 2019
dreamchaser90:

From my experience, most places in the world, first degree is geared towards opening up your mind. Then in Masters/Ph.D you can choose an area to specialize. The aim is to start wide and further specialize in an area as you study further.

And as others have earlier pointer out, Computer Science is more just programming. It involves a whole lot more. Even areas not seemingly directly related to Computer Science are covered. So saying the four years is a waste, is not looking at the whole picture.

And even outside Nigeria, if you just studied Computer Science in the university, it doesn't equip one with the skills to enter the job market as a programmer. That is why universities offer students the opportunity to go on internships or have work placements in order to acquire these skills. The practical skills acquired in addition to the theoretical knowledge already inculcated, makes for a better programmer.

Now for the question about whether Computer Science knowledge acquired is relevant at work, I'll say it is. I've had occasions to apply theoretical Computer Science knowledge in solving some problems. But that might be so because I develop critical systems where every millisecond counts, so that might not be the norm.

I would advice though that if one is aiming to just become a programmer or be involved in software development in general, then studying Software Engineering is a better choice. Because I've also seen a lot of Computer Science graduates struggle with programming or software development in general.

For anybody still reading this board, this is an excellent post with each paragraph summarizing, otherwise, several broader areas that could form good starting points for further discussions.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by jelel6: 5:18pm On Jul 26, 2019
makavele:
This is a very dumb thread that should have been trashed in one line.
Yes a degree in Comp. Sci is very good [especially one
gotten outside the walls of the Nigerian curriculum], but if a programmer doesn't have one and can push himself beyond limits, he'll do just fine! The only drawback is that
he'll have to learn by trial and error as he goes on; and will be very much dependent on tools created by the "computer scientists" in the first instance.

Tools created by computer scientists "and" those who are not.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by texia(f): 10:56am On Jul 27, 2019
Wow, so this argument lingered for six years and no one could prove anything �
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Standing5(m): 3:30pm On Aug 01, 2019
Waste? I don't think what school teach you are riddles. They are real life concept with practical application and the fact you aren't using them doesn't mean they are useless.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 27, 2019
It's not a waste of 4 years. The issue is bias against those with a computer science degree by those without a degree in computer science just to be able to keep thier programming jobs as they are scared that those with a degree in computer science will expose their lack of knowledge in programming, when projects they have been unable to implement are been implemented with ease by those with a degree in computer science. God will surely expose those at work who are biased against those with a degree in computer science.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by hardebayho(m): 6:25pm On Oct 27, 2019
All these is a matter of choice and perception.

Do you want to be a Computer Scientist? Do you want to understand the inner workings of the computers, how operating systems work, how code you write is translated to machine language, how those machine codes are structured, debugging, code organization, enterprise-level project management, developing software as a team, data processing, data representation, cryptography, encryption, and so on (I can go on and on)...

If you want to have all these knowledge, then why not go and study computer science? Whether crappy school with outdated software and technology or not, you'll be better off studying computer science, treating each topic as it comes, and acquiring these knowledge (of course, this is if you know what you're doing). I mean, you want to go and study something else in school, and still learn all these things I listed above? So with these stuff I listed, you'll now add the ones you want to go and study in school. So tell me, what do you think is going to be the result?.

And come to think of it. Can you work with tech giants like Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, etc. if you're holding a Public Administration certificate? Which department do you think they'll put you? Certainly not anywhere near where they write code...

But then, if you just want to be a web designer, or you want to know how to make simple stuff with a computer, then it's better for you to just go online, and read those "little" things. Then you'll be fine.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by seribroo56(m): 6:36pm On Oct 27, 2019
Studying Computer Science as course in the university/polytechnic/college of education is NEVER a waste.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by lawddanny: 4:38pm On Jan 18, 2020
Studying computer science is a waste of time in most ways and at thesame time not a waste of time

I know this because I studied computer science

Nigerian schools ends up teaching you 70% nonsense and 30% usefull
I swear, they teach lots of rubbish

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by GoodBoi1(m): 4:47pm On Jan 18, 2020
Even if you did not study computer science, these days you can learn what you want to learn about computer science online. You can design your own curriculum and educate yourself
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by GoodBoi1(m): 4:49pm On Jan 18, 2020
hardebayho:
All these is a matter of choice and perception.

Do you want to be a Computer Scientist? Do you want to understand the inner workings of the computers, how operating systems work, how code you write is translated to machine language, how those machine codes are structured, debugging, code organization, enterprise-level project management, developing software as a team, data processing, data representation, cryptography, encryption, and so on (I can go on and on)...

If you want to have all these knowledge, then why not go and study computer science? Whether crappy school with outdated software and technology or not, you'll be better off studying computer science, treating each topic as it comes, and acquiring these knowledge (of course, this is if you know what you're doing). I mean, you want to go and study something else in school, and still learn all these things I listed above? So with these stuff I listed, you'll now add the ones you want to go and study in school. So tell me, what do you think is going to be the result?.

And come to think of it. Can you work with tech giants like Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, etc. if you're holding a Public Administration certificate? Which department do you think they'll put you? Certainly not anywhere near where they write code...

But then, if you just want to be a web designer, or you want to know how to make simple stuff with a computer, then it's better for you to just go online, and read those "little" things. Then you'll be fine.
These days you can learn a lot online even for free. I can show you full free computer science curriculum that will even teach you more than what you will learn in a Nigerian university.

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Vsammi1: 11:08pm On Jan 18, 2020
Do you need any of Udacity's nanodegree videos?

Chat 0802_798_9375 on whatsApp to get it for a token.

**WhatsApp only please

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by hardebayho(m): 4:02am On Jan 19, 2020
GoodBoi1:
These days you can learn a lot online even for free. I can show you full free computer science curriculum that will even teach you more than what you will learn in a Nigerian university.

But bro, that's not the point. Of course, one time or the other, you'll still have to go out of your way to learn even deeper if you want to more that scratch the surface in computer science. But with those free computer courses, comes no certificate, which is required if you're going to get into any of those big companies like Microsoft, Apple and others. Or do you think they will want to take someone that graduated in the University with a Bachelors degree in Medicine or Agriculture or some other unrelated courses as a computer programmer or engineer in their company? The school is not just for the knowledge (although, that was the point of going to school, in the olden days), now it's essentially for the paperwork, cause that's a door opener.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by GoodBoi1(m): 8:09am On Jan 19, 2020
hardebayho:

But bro, that's not the point. Of course, one time or the other, you'll still have to go out of your way to learn even deeper if you want to more that scratch the surface in computer science. But with those free computer courses, comes no certificate, which is required if you're going to get into any of those big companies like Microsoft, Apple and others. Or do you think they will want to take someone that graduated in the University with a Bachelors degree in Medicine or Agriculture or some other unrelated courses as a computer programmer or engineer in their company? The school is not just for the knowledge (although, that was the point of going to school, in the olden days), now it's essentially for the paperwork, cause that's a door opener.
I know it is a door opener but even these companies you mentioned no longer require university degrees in order to work with them even at Andela in Nigeria, you do not need to have a university degree to work with them not to talk of a degree in a computer science related field. The world is moving, what matters is if you have the knowledge, skill and maybe experience. What's the point of having a four-year degree and you are not working at the level of your supposed expertise? Degrees are not really compulsory for tech professions these days

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/08/16/15-companies-that-no-longer-require-employees-to-have-a-college-degree.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/top-companies-are-hiring-more-candidates-without-a-4-year-degree-2019-4

I know certificate can be door opener sometimes but it is not the only way, knowledge, kills and experience are door openers too and these can be gotten without a degree. I didn't study computer science but Electrical electronic engineering and it didn't really help much in my tech profession journey, may not yet. If I want learn more about something I know I can get it without going back to school. And I can even gain more experience and work in tech companies like Microsoft or even start mine. School is good but self education is good too
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by lawddanny: 5:39pm On Jan 19, 2020
GoodBoi1:
I know it is a door opener but even these companies you mentioned no longer require university degrees in order to work with them even at Andela in Nigeria, you do not need to have a university degree to work with them not to talk of a degree in a computer science related field. The world is moving, what matters is if you have the knowledge, skill and maybe experience. What's the point of having a four-year degree and you are not working at the level of your supposed expertise? Degrees are not really compulsory for tech professions these days

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/08/16/15-companies-that-no-longer-require-employees-to-have-a-college-degree.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/top-companies-are-hiring-more-candidates-without-a-4-year-degree-2019-4

I know certificate can be door opener sometimes but it is not the only way, knowledge, kills and experience are door openers too and these can be gotten without a degree. I didn't study computer science but Electrical electronic engineering and it didn't really help much in my tech profession journey, may not yet. If I want learn more about something I know I can get it without going back to school. And I can even gain more experience and work in tech companies like Microsoft or even start mine. School is good but self education is good too
you are right jor

Those that are saying computer science is a whole lot more than programing.
Come to think of it, how many of these things that they're mentioning do Nigerian universities, polythecnics teach.. Do they even know it...??

You build your own programming language Bla bla bla... Where do you want to start building programming languages from when you can't use preexisting programming languages
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Cityqueengirl(f): 4:15am On Jan 20, 2020
system analysis and design, computer architecture, simulation and modelling, artificial intelligence, logic design and digital system, compiler constrution, automata theory, etc. Cs is not all about programming. You can write a computer program does not mean you are a computer scientist.
This is so true

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jan 22, 2020
Programming is a profession destroyed by connection and who you know at the top, if not only those with a programming degree should be allowed to develop commercial applications

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Vsammi1: 9:41am On Jan 25, 2020
Hi,

Have you been looking for a

- software crack,

- WordPress themes or

- any course in the area of facebook marketing,

- Ecommerce,

- dropshipping,

- Copywriting

- YouTube marketing

- online business and

- programming.

I have 5 terabytes of files across these all areas.

Chat me on whatsApp here: 0802_798_9375 to get it

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Lordpeckxy(m): 11:19am On Feb 20, 2020
You can talk, talk and so talk, But doesn't change the fact that
"He who Knows HOW gets the Job, But He who Knows WHY Always Remains the Boss.!
And guess who Knows WHY
THE COMPUTER SCIENTIST
Done and dusted...
Wait.! So you think that Just because we study Computer Science In school and Instiutions, we DON'T watch VIDEOS on LYNDA, UDERCITY and SUBSCRIBE TO FREECODECAMP...
Hahahahahahaahahaha...
Bro you are so wrong.!!!!
If you watch Videos and Talks without Theoritical Thinking, you code and learn like those you watch....
And If you apply the theory You learn.....
You create your own style.!
Developing a Skill is good, Going to school And Developing a skill Is even better.!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by GoodBoi1(m): 11:58am On Feb 20, 2020
Lordpeckxy:
You can talk, talk and so talk, But doesn't change the fact that
"He who Knows HOW gets the Job, But He who Knows WHY Always Remains the Boss.!
And guess who Knows WHY
THE COMPUTER SCIENTIST
Done and dusted...
Wait.! So you think that Just because we study Computer Science In school and Instiutions, we DON'T watch VIDEOS on LYNDA, UDERCITY and SUBSCRIBE TO FREECODECAMP...
Hahahahahahaahahaha...
Bro you are so wrong.!!!!
If you watch Videos and Talks without Theoritical Thinking, you code and learn like those you watch....
And If you apply the theory You learn.....
You create your own style.!
Developing a Skill is good, Going to school And Developing a skill Is even better.!!!!!!!!!
Whether you learnt in school or not it will still boil down to SELF-EDUCATION. Same way those who gained the skills without University certificate can still learn computer science outside the university too and they can learn what they need to know on demand. The fact is you will not likely even use all you learnt in school. University no longer have monopoly of knowledge anymore and what is learnt in school doesn't really align with the industry or demands of the job market. There are a lot of university courses that overlap with computer science. Having a computer science degree is not bad but not having it is not limiting. TELL ME WHAT YOU LEARNT IN SCHOOL THAT I CAN'T LEARN ON THE INTERNET

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Lordpeckxy(m): 9:48pm On Apr 28, 2020
GoodBoi1:

Whether you learnt in school or not it will still boil down to SELF-EDUCATION. Same way those who gained the skills without University certificate can still learn computer science outside the university too and they can learn what they need to know on demand. The fact is you will not likely even use all you learnt in school. University no longer have monopoly of knowledge anymore and what is learnt in school doesn't really align with the industry or demands of the job market. There are a lot of university courses that overlap with computer science. Having a computer science degree is not bad but not having it is not limiting. TELL ME WHAT YOU LEARNT IN SCHOOL THAT I CAN'T LEARN ON THE INTERNET
***Laughs***
Nothing at all bro
Nothing at all...
'I agree with you, Going to school is pretty useless when you have the internet at your disposal'...
What a Talk....

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by lawddanny: 10:31am On Jun 01, 2020
The major issue here is people's mentality
Are you studying computer science because you want to get a job or because you have passion and want to build something with it

If you want to go to school go.
If you donot want, then donot go
All have its own benefits
If you say you like computers study cs

This all comes down to the individual in question.
If all you know as a cs student is what is taught in class, then i'm sorry.
Some people graduate out of school thinking that they know everything. That's why some people who didn't study cs in a school knows better.
When you think you know Everything, you know NOTHING!
But when you think you know Nothing, you keep on learning and keep on discovering how little you really know.

University pal can be better
Self taught pal can be better
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 01, 2020
pjosh1:
This is a conversation between my uncle and I.

Uncle: Josh, what course do you want 2 study.
Me: Computer Science
Uncle: Why
Me: Because I like it
Uncle: Do you know any programming language
Me: Yes, I know python and am still learning it.
Uncle: Who taught you?
Me: I learnt it by my self.
Uncle: Do not study com. Sci
Me: Why?
Uncle : Why waste 4 years in a Nigerian university studying Computer Science when you can learn it on your own or even register and learn it somewhere else.

Me: I will need the certificate when looking for work.

Uncle: Look, even if you want to learn computer science don't depend on your cert. When looking for work, you can work on your own.

To some extent, what he said is true. I advice other student not to take Computer Science as a course.
Very true. You can learn on your own. But the die hard computer extremists will cry foul.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by alphatron(m): 12:12pm On Jun 01, 2020
programming is a subset of comp sci. A comp sci cert will help you on the long run if you truly wanna create work you'll love in IT
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 01, 2020
alphatron:
programming is a subset of comp sci. A comp sci cert will help you on the long run if you truly wanna create work you'll love in IT
I am learning things like os development (theoretical and practical), linear algebra, calculus on my own. So what use do I have for a cert anyone can learn on his own. YouTube teachers (most of them) are better than the so called professors parading themselves with PhDs. Though I personally believe that computer engineering is far better.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by alphatron(m): 6:15pm On Jun 01, 2020
SegFault:

I am learning things like os development (theoretical and practical), linear algebra, calculus on my own. So what use do I have for a cert anyone can learn on his own. YouTube teachers (most of them) are better than the so called professors parading themselves with PhDs. Though I personally believe that computer engineering is far better.

nah, the best minds in tech have PhDs or st least masters
David knuth, Linus Tovarlds, Ryan Dahl, etc etc.
A degree gives you structure and insight including newer areas you can research into. A non degree will for most part of his/her career be playing catch up cos there's a lot to learn.

Nonetheless you can do wonderfully well with Bachelors or no degree, but not you'll be more knowledgeable if you had more degrees
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by ChengHun(m): 11:34pm On Jun 01, 2020
In d field of computing what really matters is the skill. An employer is looking for someone that can proffer solution to problems. Besides, What u will learn by just watching a YouTube video , Nigeria universities can teach u for a whole semester with bulky hand-outs.
If u av the skill and u can prove urself, forget degree. Since I av graduated I av not tendered my certificate for any employment and I have been working for over two years now. ur employer will forget to ask for ur certificate if u are solving problem. Dey will just ask for photocopy to keep in ur file for formalty sake
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 4:38am On Jun 02, 2020
alphatron:

nah, the best minds in tech have PhDs or st least masters
David knuth, Linus Tovarlds, Ryan Dahl, etc etc.
A degree gives you structure and insight including newer areas you can research into. A non degree will for most part of his/her career be playing catch up cos there's a lot to learn.

Nonetheless you can do wonderfully well with Bachelors or no degree, but not you'll be more knowledgeable if you had more degrees
Which country do you think they came from? You think you can achieve that in a Nigerian university. As for me not to sound proud but I know I have gone deeper into computer science (and a tad bit of engineering) than any of my schoolmates home and abroad (tested them myself) nothing beats learning at ones own pace. That is what lousy professors don't understand and by the way you haven't asked everyone around that is a genius in computer science if they went to the university. It simply depends on your will and willpower it's just like saying the best philosophers studied philosophy when hardly any did.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa / Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.