Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,950 members, 7,806,745 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? - Programming (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? (119843 Views)

Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by michicko(m): 12:15pm On Nov 17, 2014
Djangocode:
@OP..

You made a lotta sense.. 4 yrs in school doing comp sci is just a waste of time.. If u are into ICT for real, University won't make u a better man as long as naija is concerned.. U can't get any IT job if u follow what they do in naija uni's.. Teaching u pascal and fortran is just trash..

If u need a cert, Reg in NIIT or Afrihub just for the cert sake buh just build urself and do ur thing.. Videos and ebooks abound online.. With ur lappy, u can move mountains..

That's the plain truth..
Tru talk u can only learn fortran nd pascal nd dey re bleeped up old skul programming language....talking from xperience I skul in Uniben so I knw.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by michicko(m): 12:22pm On Nov 17, 2014
gozmos:
Computer Science is the Best joor
C u 80% of com.sci students in my skul dey dnt knw half of wat I knw talkin abt programming lang... M studying maths in uniben so m tellin u its just a waste of time
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Harry4cas(m): 8:08pm On Nov 17, 2014
200Level statistician here. We do CSC course now and believe you me when i tell u that 90% of computer science students dont understand simple C+ programming. I dont wana brag but i'm even teaching most of them.
LastBullet: if you want to be a certified computer scientist better go outside the 4walls of uni and seek 4 additional knowledge. Yes someone that dont study csc at school can outshine someone that did csc as a decipline 4 schl. It's not a waste of time but the con is you're still vunerable to non csc graduate taking ya job 4rm you cos everyone can go n study csc outside uni and still be more relevant than you that study it as a 4yr course at school

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by codemarshal08(m): 5:20am On Nov 18, 2014
Harry4cas:
200Level statistician here. We do CSC course now and believe you me when i tell u that 90% of computer science students dont understand simple C+ programming. I dont wana brag but i'm even teaching most of them.
LastBullet: if you want to be a certified computer scientist better go outside the 4walls of uni and seek 4 additional knowledge. Yes someone that dont study csc at school can outshine someone that did csc as a decipline 4 schl. It's not a waste of time but the con is you're still vunerable to non csc graduate taking ya job 4rm you cos everyone can go n study csc outside uni and still be more relevant than you that study it as a 4yr course at school

Bro, i dont think it is a must for every computer student to know C++ ok ?
Also do understand that computer science is not all about Programming............

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 7:30am On Nov 18, 2014
michicko:

C u 80% of com.sci students in my skul dey dnt knw half of wat I knw talkin abt programming lang... M studying maths in uniben so m tellin u its just a waste of time

Seriously, you know nothing. this is the internet and you're surrounded by thousands of people who you don't know, so saying "they don't even know what i know" doesn't impress me. what do you even know? you should blame your useless CS department.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by michicko(m): 6:34pm On Nov 21, 2014
Naijazoom:

Seriously, you know nothing. this is the internet and you're surrounded by thousands of people who you don't know, so saying "they don't even know what i know" doesn't impress me. what do you even know? you should blame your useless CS department.
Careful young man u Don't die yet

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by jidez007: 7:20pm On Nov 22, 2014
So ds thread still dey alive... I tink its one d reasons I chose 2 study electElect instead of cs.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Harry4cas(m): 3:30pm On Nov 23, 2014
Truth is bitter

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Onozboy(m): 9:59am On Jan 10, 2015
Lets talk about the job opprortunity of a computer science graduate and whether it is a wast of time or not .

3 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by virus05(m): 9:14am On Jul 28, 2015
pjosh1:
I am not saying studyin com.sci is bad,ii am jst saying is a waste of time.For example, if u do not study medicine or law ,u can never be a doctor or lawyer.A simple webdeveloper do not need all what u've mentioned above to create a website, but some pple still call him a computer scientist .
Don't knw if u understand what i am sayng?

so computer science is all about creating website abi?? Lol.. Some pple sef

3 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by samlexxy: 1:02pm On Jul 28, 2015
CODEEATER:
No b by to answer comp. Sci student o...MST of all yee science students don't really know sci well..

Some manage to cross ssce level through miracle center,and bribe their way to d uni...so wen I c some one say "I am studying comp. Sci" I look at dem as one of doz dudes,except I c d stuff u r made of....me I never read sciences in school, I was a true art student,but my intrest and ambition in life has made me understand dat m going no where with out some knowledge in physics n a Wii bit of further maths,it was too late to turn back ,so ihad my mum hire a personal home physics teacher for me...Cuz m determined to prove people like u wrong on d thought dat non science students cnt do sciences weather in or out of school..so don't come preaching to me abt DBMS n crap like dat, cuz in my line of duty dey r nt needed... I know web developers and programmers who Neva studied computer sci or even got out of high school, but dey r good at wat dey do..and I know so called computer science students who can't evn state d Newton's laws of motion dat even me wey Neva enter science class once can recite like poem..ntchewww

I WILL CONTINUE TO SAY IT...SOME FEILDS IN COMPUER SCIENCE OR I.T IN GENERAL DONT NEED U TO BE A COMPUTER SCIENCE STUDENT...
you don dey make point go....but you Bleep up for the newton law of motion part....what does that have to do with CS or programming....you said ppl dont need DBMS..thats cus you guys belittle yourself to little project....na so do web una go dey do..engage yourself in big projects then would know how handy DBMS can be...

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by olaleyeoladejo: 1:38pm On Oct 30, 2015
As an aspiring/new programmer, it can be challenging to decide which language to program in.

C# is the best choice of language for people new to object oriented programming based on factors including learning curve, job specific requirements, platform specifics, or a plethora of other criteria.The C# programming language was created from the ground up to be an object-oriented programming language that offers ease of use, familiarity to C/C++ and Java developers, along with enhanced memory and resource management.

Benefits of Learning C#

From an employer's perspective C# developers are highly in demand
The language is constantly adding new and more powerful features
It runs on platforms other than windows using Mono Project
The Visual Studio tool-set is the best developer environment in the planet
C# can be used to develop many types of applications including: Desktop application(Windows for,WPF), Web Application(ASP.Net), Mobile Application(Xamarin...)
TRAIN TO BE A C# DEVELOPER(WINDOWS APP AND MOBILE APP)

Handson C# Training
Develop a desktop application.
Develop a cross-platform mobile application with Xamarin (Windows , IOS, Android)
Price: N40000
4 Weekends(Sat: 10am - 2pm and Sun: 1pm -5pm)
November Training starts: November 7.
Venue: Orchid Hotel- Plot 3 Dreamworld Africana Way, By Chevron Toll Gate, Lekki-Epe ExpressWay Lagos
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by oyibo99(m): 12:25am On Sep 27, 2016
Develop project in Java, c#,Android studio call 08067290192....
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by favour5199: 6:17am On Sep 27, 2016
@OP..

You made a lotta sense.. 4 yrs in school doing comp sci is just a waste of time.. If u are into ICT for real, University won't make u a better man as long as naija is concerned.. U can't get any IT job if u follow what they do in naija uni's.. Teaching u pascal and fortran is just trash..

If u need a cert, Reg in NIIT or Afrihub just for the cert sake buh just build urself and do ur thing.. Videos and ebooks abound online.. With ur lappy, u can move mountains..

That's the plain truth..
also on udemy u can get all the trash u were taught in uni

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by melodyogonna(m): 7:39am On Sep 30, 2016
rexspect:
Computer science in the university is not all about programming languages alone. It involves System Analysis, Networking, DBMS, computer ethics and professionalism, System verification and validation, etc. All these you will not learn in your so called NIIT or afrihub. If really you know what you learnt from the university then you should know that there is big difference between learning Computer science in the university than outside the wall of the university.
www.tutorialspoint.com can teach all that and more.

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by bowofolu(m): 8:28pm On Feb 02, 2017
This thread really didn't have to go into such a controversial way. It's unlikely that you'd find such a crass outcome if this question was asked in a place with seemingly, more decent minds. A place like quora or even stackoverflow.com (not meant for such topics). With due respect, this grotesque thread clearly shows the backward way a lot us Nigerians think.

There's no need for a controversy.

If you think you have to be a Computer Scientist before you can be a programmer and that you'll only be a "user" if you're not a Computer Scientist. Then you're not well informed/observant. You're only being narrow-minded. If the great geniuses of the past thought in that narrow-minded and unproductive way, then there would be no Computer Scientists today. Why? You ask why? Okay. I'll tell you why. Because (whether you realise this or not) Computer Science is an offshoot of Electrical Engineering. Without Electrical Engineering, There would be NO computers, there would be NO computer science. There would be NO Software Engineering, there would be NO programming, there would be NO Google, there would be no Linux kernel, there would be NO 3D printers, there would be NO cars, there would be no Facebook, there would be NO PayPal, there would be NO Windows Operating system (created by a law student), there would be NO Nairaland (which a lot of people utilise to publish their scaled-down minds). We wouldn't be talking about this.
Are we then, (because CS is an offshoot of EE), to say that no one can be a Programmer/Cloud Architect/Computer Scientist/Graphics designer/Software Engineer/Web Developer? That they can only be "users" of Electronics? Because they don't know how to create circuit boards? Because they don't know how electrons work? Because they don't know how to make a computer? Obviously NOT. In life, everything is interconnected, everything is built on top of something. A building block is used to build up a home. A is used to build up B and B is used to build up C.... and so on............ Endless connections. Because you don't know how to make A doesn't mean you are not a Master at B. If you want to be a Computer Scientist, then go learn what it takes to be one (Probably at a formal institution). If you want to be a Software Engineer, then go learn what it takes (at wherever). If you want to be a Programmer, then go learn what it takes (Usually outside a formal institution). A university degree is not what's MAINLY going to give you your dream job. Or your dream business. It's ACTUALLY what you know. A university degree is meant to be some sort of proof of knowledge. And if you think you can only acquire the information you want, in a college/university, then go for it. If you don't think so, then go for whatever you think will give you the information you want. Knowledge is Power and power births freedom. Just get the knowledge you want irrespective of the method (a clean method. Obviously).

There are experienced employers out there who realise that there are Computer scientists that cannot code their way out of a paper bag. Or even pass a FizzBuzz test. And they hire you only because of your impressive hands-on ability.

Seriously, I would study Computer Science (abroad) because I'm a fan of versatility in the use of computing devices. I'd like to be involved in many areas in the world of computing (But I'm not saying a CS degree is a MUST to make you a CS guy). If you're not the versatile kind, then I think you'll be wasting your time if you decide to study Computer Science. It's a wide field. Anyways, like I said earlier, choose what you think will give you want you want. And make sure others don't decide for you.

6 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by ProNdubuisi: 4:57pm On Feb 06, 2017

Physics is a fabulous science course too
It does not stop your love for Computer Science.

A Physics degree makes more sense in the IT industry than an aptech certificate.
Aptech/NIIT would not teach you anything you can't learn on your own.

Angela Merkel studied Physics.
Tim berners lee, the inventor of the internet studied physics. Computer science, or any science related course gives you an edge, because you learn analytical thinking, step by step problem solving techniques and computational scopes and limitations. All creators of programming languages, search engines, web servers and other back bones of software engineering have a good knowledge either in computer science or computer related fields. The users are nothing compared to the creators. Ask linus trovalds. Knowing web design and corel draw makes you a user not a creator or an inventor of computers or affiliated technologies. Personal studies can take you there if you have the time and resources and you are a genus like Aaron Swartz(the internets own boy).

3 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by J500(m): 8:10pm On Apr 16, 2017
Have u eaten?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by skyknight(m): 6:06pm On Oct 25, 2017
MitchDLeo:
No offence but i can learn this on my own through the Internet (Just Google It).
I learnt allvthese things you said in a roadside school. My instructor was a microbiology graduate and used comptia textbooks to instruct us. I am a graduate of religion myself. So sorry but Nigeria is a horrible place to be in the university
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by alfarouq(m): 6:33am On Aug 12, 2018
kodewrita:

Even biblically, the wise are the ones who take instruction and add to their knowledge. If someone wilfully decides that more knowledge is uninmportant, then they have commenced a journey down the path of failure.

Unless you want to spend your life creating crappy apps for small cash and never creating anything great, then you definitely need to go beyond the base level you are.

I personally would not trust a half-baked IT professional with highly critical applications if such a programmer sees 3rd Normal form-designed DBMS as unnecessarily academic or too much work.

Universities teach you the whole picture and not just the narrow field of programming. Yes you can learn it on your own with tools like www.coursera.com or http://ocw.mit.edu or www.edx.org among others but its easier if you attend a UNI.

Dont let envy/regret prevent you or others from gettting good education.
true talk
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by alfarouq(m): 6:39am On Aug 12, 2018
melodyogonna:
www.tutorialspoint.com can teach all that and more.

nice
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by sparkle6(m): 8:14am On Aug 14, 2018
We all know why they (art) students keep jumping into web because they heard cs are getting the moolah. They lack the passion.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Lordpeckxy(m): 11:49pm On Dec 19, 2018
Most people don't know what being a computerscientist means...true many CS students and gradutes don't know almost anything about computer but to say studying computerscience is a scam...i laff at you...

Few months ago there was a guy in Architech dept that came to my class one day (comSci) and he says he wanted to teach us programming with web technologies...Many unserious once just told him to pass ojareh...a little few went up to him and arranged where and when he would hold up the tutorial with a fixed fee of 2K...i went to the tutorial once and i was able to understand something................there is a big depth between being a computerScientist and been able to learn it online........i would have explain the difference but still the little minds would'nt be able to comprehend it and would still argue up till tommorow.....so no need..............a brickLayer will think he knows the work more than the civil engineer, the electrician will think he knows the work more than the elecrical engn, the market women thinks they knows the economy more than the economist, the okada riders think they know politics more than the politicians, even medical doctors practice could stil be learnt by another without being in school............but at the end of the day who makes the best impact on the society...........Mark zuckerberg dropped out of university not because he does not know the essentiality but because he was able to work on an idea(not his) that needs more time and effort to bring into existence so does bill gates.!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by airsaylongcon: 2:13am On Dec 20, 2018
The comment above me says it all! I'm shocked people call a University degree in Computer Science a waste of 4 yrs. Really?!

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Kamxin(m): 1:12pm On Dec 21, 2018
airsaylongcon:
The comment above me says it all! I'm shocked people call a University degree in Computer Science a waste of 4 yrs. Really?!

My dear, The way quacks take jobs that they are no qualified to do beat my imagination. Every mother is a doctor for her child, but when sickness come they go looking for doctor.

To study a course 4years and science for that matter is a waste of time, not just science, but the main science that differentiated this generation from the other milleniums before it

I think slave trade will do us a better favour than science. Having a country as our own is illegal.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Kamxin(m): 1:16pm On Dec 21, 2018
sparkle6:
We all know why they (art) students keep jumping into web because they heard cs are getting the moolah. They lack the passion.

Don't kill me before my time, which one is moolah?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Lordpeckxy(m): 8:46pm On Dec 21, 2018
Kamxin:

My dear, The way quacks take jobs that they are no qualified to do beat my imagination. Every mother is a doctor for her child, but when sickness come they go looking for doctor.

To study a course 4years and science for that matter is a waste of time, not just science, but the main science that differentiated this generation from the other milleniums before it

I think slave trade will do us a better favour than science. Having a country as our own is illegal.

then i guess another idiot has been let loose among reasonable citizens!!! What are you saying?? Slave trade?? Who says that!!!!

My God somebody take this guy outta here!!!
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Hibrahym: 9:52am On Dec 22, 2018
airsaylongcon:
Ignorance comes in different shapes and sizes.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Lordpeckxy(m): 10:51am On Dec 22, 2018
airsaylongcon:

you know, when u give a farmer a shovel he will think he is equal to the man who owns a tractor.!!!
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by vezycash(m): 2:30pm On Dec 24, 2018
The boss is here. Jokes aside.

Studying pure mathematics, or physics will make you a better computer scientist than studying computer science.

Most of the comments advocating for studying computer science here are by people who didn't study it. The others are those who didn't know what they were doing in school. I.e satisfied with crap knowledge.

A large part of computer science curriculum is mathematics. Then a little bit about everything - not going deep enough to learn anything.

Plus you learn a lot of outdated stuff. Take c++ for example, how can you do c++ for a whole semester without mentioning STL?

I challenge anyone to show me any school that teaches decent html & Css.

Covenant university teaches prolog that no one uses.

Most will go through a semester in QBasic and be unable to write a program to calculate the area of a circle.

As for software requirement, bullocks. They still teach waterfall model of SDLC when the world is into lean development.

Conclusion.

If you want intro to qbasic, c, c++, Fortran, visual basic, java, php, prolog and a few other languages, study computer science. You'll leave school and be considerably worse off than someone who spent a quarter of that university money on a decent laptop and internet connection learning online.

Ask any comp SCI grad to explain algorithm - any single one and you'll see.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by vezycash(m): 2:36pm On Dec 24, 2018
Lordpeckxy:
Most people don't know what being a computerscientist means...true many CS students and gradutes don't know almost anything about computer but to say studying computerscience is a scam...i laff at you...

Few months ago there was a guy in Architech dept that came to my class one day (comSci) and he says he wanted to teach us programming with web technologies...Many unserious once just told him to pass ojareh...a little few went up to him and arranged where and when he would hold up the tutorial with a fixed fee of 2K...i went to the tutorial once and i was able to understand something................there is a big depth between being a computerScientist and been able to learn it online........i would have explain the difference but still the little minds would'nt be able to comprehend it and would still argue up till tommorow.....so no need..............a brickLayer will think he knows the work more than the civil engineer, the electrician will think he knows the work more than the elecrical engn, the market women thinks they knows the economy more than the economist, the okada riders think they know politics more than the politicians, even medical doctors practice could stil be learnt by another without being in school............but at the end of the day who makes the best impact on the society...........Mark zuckerberg dropped out of university not because he does not know the essentiality but because he was able to work on an idea(not his) that needs more time and effort to bring into existence so does bill gates.!!!!!

Bill Gates was studying LAW in university. Zuckerberg made a website in php - a language they don't teach until year 4. He was already making websites since his secondary school days. See the ugly site here https://gizmodo.com/5993535/holy-crap-is-this-mark-zuckerbergs-childhood-angelfire-website

Zuck also said he rarely went to class. See https://venturebeat.com/2012/10/20/zuck-startup-school/

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa / Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.