Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,914 members, 7,806,654 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:56 PM

Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews (18461 Views)

9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. / Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs / Technical & Brain Teaser Questions Asked During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Pennywise(m): 5:36pm On Sep 09, 2013
My advice is that you should get the job first. Sell yourself as much as you can to the organization. Dont be cheeky. Dont get 'clever' with your prospective boss. And you must not appear greedy. I have been tempted once to reach across the table and give someone a dirty slap before asking him to leave my office in a job interview.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by buoye1(m): 5:39pm On Sep 09, 2013
fabby26: 35 Views with no post makes me think if am on the right thread. Is that out of 35 viewers, nobody has any meaningful contribution or just negligence. Remember that thing you call trivial and neglect today can be a big challenge for you tomorrow. If I had posted this on the wrong thread,say EDUCATION or ENTERTAINMENT, it would have generated a lot of traffic/response
your comment has no answer to the above question,so you as the same as those who viewed nd didn't comment......Back to the issue,I'll give a specific figure that Ll soot the nature of thr job I'am taking up.....E.g For a site Engineer in a construction company.............like #200-250k for a start.......tnx
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Chigorkizz(m): 5:39pm On Sep 09, 2013
Am luving this.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Sagamite(m): 5:44pm On Sep 09, 2013
fabby26: If you're asked on how much your remuneration will be or you wished to be paid on a lucrative job interview for a multinational company or a big firm. Is this really a question or a test to put you through? I have a friend of mine that was asked this question by a white man after he must have answered all other questions. My friend feared to mention any specific amount but rather just declared intention of not putting remuneration at fore-front but rather more on delivering his role. He came out thinking he will get the job, but unfortunately failed.

So I ask What will one that is posed with such question say? Mention any amount(minimum amt in figures) or just wave this issue of remuneration like my friend did. Please I need a concise answer to this. Thanks

I am sure, it is not because of what he said about salary offer that cost him the job.

If someone asks you such a question, it is a pre-requisite to negotiation and haggling.

Your answer should be a range. E.g. I am looking for a salary between N12m-N14m.

You should have done some research yourself before you get to that stage. You should have found out part of the following (if you can) before the interviews:

- What is the average pay for that function and at that level in the city and country you are applying.
- What is the average pay for that function and at that level in the industry and a market player of that size you are applying.
- What is the average pay for that function and at that level in all industries in that country.

From these, you can then set your minimum and maximum.

Minimum would be (i) the lowest average of your research or (ii) the minimum you would take to avoid losing the job or (iii) the minimum you will take without feeling too cheated.

Maximum should be (i) the maximum average you found out in your research or (ii) about 20% above the average you found out or (iii) what you think is the maximum they can pay you.

You can also start by throwing the curve ball back before answering by asking them: "It was not made public, and I am not aware how much this role is paying, but what is the salary range for this level in your firm". Normally in the UK, if you have already gone through several rounds, they tend to answer you but if it is at the start, they might not.

When it comes to a job offer and they make you an offer, negotiate CONVIVIALLY by stating why you think you deserve more and ask for them to come up with an offer closer to your maximum. For example,

"I am already making N10m at my previous job and a majority of the other roles I have interviewed for have been of offers between N12m and N15m. I think an offer of N13m, rather than the N11m you just offered, is more reflective of my experience and the opportunities I have in the market environment."

Then you both can negotiate further to N12m if they are that inclined.

At the end of the day, it all depends on how badly they need you for the role, how financially buoyant the firm is, how much they were paying the previous position occupier and how much the salary decision-maker likes you.

6 Likes

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Sike(m): 6:01pm On Sep 09, 2013
dbucas: THE COMPANY HAS SALARY SCALE OF EVERY POSITION IN THE COMPANY, SO LET ME BE PAID ACCORDING TO THE SALARY SCALE OF THE POSITION THAT I WILL BE OCCUPYING. CHIKINA
!!!
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by 25omega(m): 6:01pm On Sep 09, 2013
That question is a setup most of the time. They basically want to know if you have researched the company. This way if you give an inflated amount beyond what they pay they will simply pass you over. If you give too little an amount, they might hire you but the interviewer will know that you don't really have experience in the field which is why you don't know the market rate for your skills and experience.

I once went on an interview where i know for sure that i did well on the interview because i had experience in the field. The interviewer then told me to write down how much i was looking for as per salary. Mind you it wasn't even a question from her, they had it on the application i had to fill out after the interview. I wrote down what i thought would be moderate but not too aggressive. Do you know that they passed me over. Why you ask? well they were going to pay even less for the position which i would have turned down anyway.

Basically you have to know you skill level and experience level and what that gets paid in the job market you are in.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Infoay: 6:15pm On Sep 09, 2013
Should the interviers insist that I mention my pay and I go ahead to mention a pay that is either below or above their undisclosed salary scale,what will be the reaction of the company ?
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 09, 2013
Endeavour to ascertain the salary scale in your dream Organisation or salary scale ruling in the industry I.e Ur dream Bank or Banking Sector !!!

They might first ask you how much have u ever earn before per annum in your previous job e.g NYSC ......... And they may Insist on Figure ...... Don't be shy or scared, give them a good figure little above what U earned before!!!

If they ask U how much u wanna earn with them ........ Tease them with something like ;

''Money is not my absolute motivating factor as a beginner but an excellent environment where I can be part of a formidable team that contribute immensely to the achievement of the corporate objective of (Mention the coy) ...............and as a leading firm in the industry, I really believed there is a salary scale that really commensurate with the skills required in my cadre ..... I would be satisfied with such salary scale for my cadre as a beginner''

........before U finish all the above Grammar, they may ask U to ''safe it'' and give them a figure .............as such Give them a range per annum ....... If the firm pays say 2.5m p.a for beginner ....... Give them range between 2.3 -2.7m ..... Dont be shy and don't be scared

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I did the above in one of the leading bank in Nigeria ..... Their color is red......... And I earned a food money with whom I was later made to believed is the most stingy among the HR

I jam the dude for restaurant of the coy and he settle my bill .....I feel like Ground abeg swallow me ...... He tagged me a Politician....... And we both laughed it off ...got the job anyway!!!

3 Likes

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by 0108(m): 7:09pm On Sep 09, 2013
Rcih :
It is advisable to give a specified range in respect to that for it gives u a value and portray ur capabilities to the job functions. A friend of my after being ask such question used "I believe the HR management are competent and will pay what will suit my position" . He was told that he is to receive 25k with a target of 10million a month.

As an IT student or what??

I hope I do not loose my temper at that. That 25k comment can provoke a reflex "God punish your generation" comment/reaction from me.

2 Likes

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by mollie12: 7:58pm On Sep 09, 2013
Hmmm...

I guess this issue does not have a straight answer when it comes to Nigerian coys. Most of the job interview guides and manuals simply say to research what is being paid in the company for the level you are applying for before you head out for the interview. But some coy staff are secretive about the salary they earn so that might be hard.

I'll simply say - your approach depends on your current status (level of qualification). If you are an undergraduate seeking internship or a part-time job, asking for anything more than #100,000 a month would simply tell the interviewer that you are just an unserious greedy person, because at that stage you are believed to still have people providing food and shelter for you (hence no need for salary to cover such), and it is expected at that stage that getting an experience should be more of a priority than earning high wages. If you are an undergraduate with a good degree (1st class/2nd class upper) or a 2nd class lower with impressive work experience, feel confident enough to do an estimate of the cost of your basic needs (shelter, feeding, clothing) per month and provide that figure as the minimal pay you can earn. If they decide to not pick you because of that then you are probably better off without them - there is no point getting an offer whose pay will not cover your basic needs, because, believe me, no matter what people say, that's even worse than unemployment. The only reason you should accept such offer is if u have an exit plan.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by lonelydora: 7:59pm On Sep 09, 2013
In 2008, I was asked the same question, I told them I want them to pay me 15M per annum. They all shocked and started negotiating that they will pay me 1.8M per annum as a trainee. Surprisingly, I was hired at the end of the day with 3M per annum.

U go fear fear! They wan try me.

1 Like

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by kizini: 8:05pm On Sep 09, 2013
Its Simple, Every employer is looking for a genius. If you are smart? You should know what you're worth! If you don't know, you aint smart enough. People who sit on the fence on questions like this, goes a long way in depicting their indecisiveness. No one wants to employ an individual who cannot make a simple decision. You have goods to sell and you don't have a fixed price, aren't your goods fake?

Closed Chapter....

1 Like

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 09, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by mascot87(m): 8:20pm On Sep 09, 2013
Say something like "I will like to receive FULL salary and allowances in line with the company’s salary scale.Thank you" smiley
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Hartarmah(m): 8:28pm On Sep 09, 2013
In dis case,the employer wants to hear from you what you worth if u urself knw it.It is not a means for disqualification.But 2 things r involved here:know wot u r going to do(ur job description in dt firm) and know if u can offer it or more,then with dis knowledge u r free to charge dem for ur service though dey will ve a scale for everyone in d firm.U can even over charge dem.They know for you to wanting d job,u nid money nd u cannot serve dem for free so for u to say money is nt ur motive dey will knw u r lying.So is better to call a value frm #100k up
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Ninilowo(m): 9:33pm On Sep 09, 2013
Iro ni. A friend of mine went to one of the service providers when he was asked to mention the minimum xpected salary, he gave a particular amount and he was asked to go and collect 50k from the cash office. That marked the end of his efforts as he was told dt he did not know his worth cos the amount mentioned was just too small and to my friend that was almost his annual salary from his previous employer. Iyen tun nko?
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Akinsnaira: 9:35pm On Sep 09, 2013
Professional answer to dat question is: I want to b paid based on the salary scale of d company dat comensurates with d post in line with d market wage rate. D reason why d prevailing market wage rate needs to b mentioned is because there might av been changes in wages structure of d generality of economy as a whole in which d company is yet to review their wage structure to dat, like d 2011 minimum wage policy in Nigeria. So this is a very sensitive question and u must b able to tackle it tactically, such dat u dont sound too greedy by mentioning far too high a wage rate for d post and as well opening ground for loopholes to exploit u by saying something lower than d actual wage rate. Coz either way will not benefit u especially in a private organizations dat are highly exploitative.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by touchmeder: 9:37pm On Sep 09, 2013
We tried to get information on what starters earn in the company but to no avail, i recall even advising my friend to write the question on Nairaland and other job forum but all the reply we got was ''guy how did you get the information about this job''

At the end of the day, he mentioned something on the high side (we only got to know this later after weeks of asking more people questions)
He didnt get the job and till date they didnt even have the decency to reply someone who reached the final interview stage. I bless God all the same because he ended up with something a whole lot better at the end of the day.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Igbanibo: 9:42pm On Sep 09, 2013
Best to give them a range, and take it from there.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Mekky2010: 10:37pm On Sep 09, 2013
I have the opportunity to regularly feature on the interview panel of our organization, if u are already employed somewhr, simply state what ur current salary is and add a few thousand to it, if you are not, make inquiries on salary range in the organization; trying to give me all those "interview 101 rules" answers usually does not fly with me. I will still insist you mention concrete amount, where you refuse, I ll take it that you don't even know what your labour and effort is worth and I need not tell you what I ll put in my score card...

ddeductive1: ANSWER= "I DO LIKE TO HAVE THE SALARY WHICH MATCHES MY ABILITY,AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE SALARY SCALE FOR THIS JOB DESCRIPTION."

2 Likes

Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by MrMann1(m): 11:43pm On Sep 09, 2013
ddeductive1: ANSWER= "I DO LIKE TO HAVE THE SALARY WHICH MATCHES MY ABILITY,AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE SALARY SCALE FOR THIS JOB DESCRIPTION."
They still insist by asking that what are your expectations as regards salary, they ask you to mention figures.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by dekins: 11:43pm On Sep 09, 2013
If I am aware that I have an interview that this type of question will arise what I will do is this:
(1)Go very early and try to playfully ask anybody(even if it is the gateman) that is already working in the firm what is the salary range of the firm.
(2)You can check this thread( https://www.nairaland.com/1432036/top-24-jobs-low-stress ) to have an idea and then do Plus and Minus.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by dekins: 11:44pm On Sep 09, 2013
If I am aware that I have an interview that this type of question will arise what I will do is this:
(1)Go very early and try to playfully ask anybody(even if it is the gateman) that is already working in the firm what is the salary range of the firm.
(2)You can check this thread( https://www.nairaland.com/1432036/top-24-jobs-low-stress ) to have an idea and then do plus and minus.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Yeske: 12:06am On Sep 10, 2013
01 : 08:

As an IT student or what??

I hope I do not loose my temper at that. That 25k comment can provoke a reflex "God punish your generation" comment/reaction from me.

That exact amount was offered to a friend, she was so vexed to the extent that all she could give as a reply was 'thank you' before leaving the place. Awon amunidese gbogbo. Btw, your signature is sooo funny, it got me lmao...

@OP, I was once asked this salary question during a phone interview. It was a trainee position and I requested for 250k, the guy was si shocked to the extent that it reflected in his voice.

He was like "this position is for graduate trainees o, that's far above what we pay" but I stood my ground. I didn't get the job and I'm sure it was because the salary I requested for was too high. I didn't need the job though.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Funjosh(m): 7:20am On Sep 10, 2013
when this is not about tonto dike or pastor having sex nairalanders refuse to coment na wa o.

But as for me i think my answer would just be 'pay me according to my qualification, and if they insist that i should mention specific amount atleast 100k' it depend on the company though.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Herosenior(m): 8:31am On Sep 10, 2013
Its good to bagain ur salary but it important u get good idea on d salary schedule of a company,organisation, establishment or d position U applied for...most interview ask ds question to asceertain 2 tns 1.if u hv propal or little knowledge of d organisation 2.to kw ur demand value....ds question is one among critical interview questions.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Herosenior(m): 8:33am On Sep 10, 2013
Funjosh: when this is not about tonto dike or pastor having sex nairalanders refuse to coment na wa o.

But as for me i think my answer would just be 'pay me according to my qualification, and if they insist that i should mention specific amount atleast 100k' it depend on the company though.
ur qouaalification has no fixed pay,expecially for beginners in a privatee firm....know the salary schedule ahead
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Devosequence(f): 4:47pm On Sep 10, 2013
Pls i don't intend to spam this thread,but want to use this platform to ask this question: Someone was recommended to work with a multinational logistics company over some vacant position,and after submiting CV was called-up for an aptitude test and on getting there was asked this question; WHAT WOULD YOU DO FOR THIS COMPANY?? Now how should this question be answered appropriately,bearing in mind that this person did not apply for a specified position.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Sagamite(m): 6:47pm On Sep 10, 2013
Devosequence: Pls i don't intend to spam this thread,but want to use this platform to ask this question: Someone was recommended to work with a multinational logistics company over some vacant position,and after submiting CV was called-up for an aptitude test and on getting there was asked this question; WHAT WOULD YOU DO FOR THIS COMPANY?? Now how should this question be answered appropriately,bearing in mind that this person did not apply for a specified position.

Tell them the scenario (I did not apply for a specified position) and then follow it up by telling them your background and the general skills, competences, knowledge and maybe networks you have.

Does not sound like a company with intelligent HR staff though.
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
Devosequence: Pls i don't intend to spam this thread,but want to use this platform to ask this question: Someone was recommended to work with a multinational logistics company over some vacant position,and after submiting CV was called-up for an aptitude test and on getting there was asked this question; WHAT WOULD YOU DO FOR THIS COMPANY?? Now how should this question be answered appropriately,bearing in mind that this person did not apply for a specified position.
It is simple ......

There are General Knowledge courses u were taught in school ......like some kinda GNS or GSE (Entrepreneural skills) ......

Each company has a line of product or service ......therefore U must know and ascertain the line of service of your dream coy and the corporate objective of d coy under review ...............

Next, check your course modules in School and relate them with how such could help the company ...... Atleast,some knowledge of GNS/GSE should come up .......

It depend on your background sha ;

But modern Coy in General sense Usually need ;

1. Someone who can help mgt in making optimum decision ;

2.Someone who is profficient in Infotech.......... which u can acquired through ur school or other softwares ........

Atleast do this for ur interviewer ;

3.Descripe ur own personal objective,abilities,competence and any other skills ............ Don't forget to relate how such enumerated values can help in achieving the goals of the organisation ....

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

U go don spend 10-20 mins before u finish all this !!!
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by joe4christ(m): 12:21pm On Sep 11, 2013
pretty stacy: For me, I did say 'sir I will lyk to earn what's commensurate wt my job in line with the salary structure of the company.

I've just learnt something new from your response, that's a wise response indeed.
Thanks, and i wont forget this knowledge...
Re: Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews by sixteen08(m): 12:21pm On Sep 11, 2013
donroxy: It is simple ......

There are General Knowledge courses u were taught in school ......like some kinda GNS or GSE (Entrepreneural skills) ......

Each company has a line of product or service ......therefore U must know and ascertain the line of service of your dream coy and the corporate objective of d coy under review ...............

Next, check your course modules in School and relate them with how such could help the company ...... Atleast,some knowledge of GNS/GSE should come up .......

It depend on your background sha ;

But modern Coy in General sense Usually need ;

1. Someone who can help mgt in making optimum decision ;

2.Someone who is profficient in Infotech.......... which u can acquired through ur school or other softwares ........

Atleast do this for ur interviewer ;

3.Descripe ur own personal objective,abilities,competence and any other skills ............ Don't forget to relate how such enumerated values can help in achieving the goals of the organisation ....

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

U go don spend 10-20 mins before u finish all this !!!

Nice one *thumbs up*

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I've Been Invited For Sterling Bank Job Interview. What Should I Expect? / Urgent Tips On How To Answer The Interview "What Are You Bringing To The Table / How I Got A Good Job Because Of The Personal CDS Project I Did When I Served

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.