Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,777 members, 7,802,386 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering (5354 Views)

List Of ALL Science And Technology Blogs In Nigeria / Free Computer Science Project Topics And Materials / Harvard And MIT Offering Free Online Courses In Computer Science And Web Design (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by premoladex(f): 12:08am On Sep 06, 2013
Pls i nid 2 knw d best btw dem
Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by GraphicsPlus(m): 12:35am On Sep 06, 2013
There is nothing like best course. it depends on what u ar pursuing.

There is a difference between computer science and computer engineering. However, the difference is somehow overlapping. But in a simple, short and clear answer: Computer Science is basically about software development while Computer Engineering is mostly about hardware development. If u dream of developing web and mobile software, u will hav to follow CS. If u want to learn how develop computer processors, ram and stuff like that, u wil have to follow CE. Both are overlapping becos as a CS student, u wil be exposed to some hardware studies and as a CE student, u wil also learn some bit of programming.
Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Nobody: 1:06am On Sep 06, 2013
As much as you have gotten a good explanation about CS, And computer CE, i think it will be a total waste of time and resources going into those areas when it comes to Computers, the IT world has made things so easy that Certification in a particular IT field is what matters most now, besides Nigeria other countries do not offer the two courses you just mentioned but rather they have made the system so easy for you to go straight into what you so wish to study be it Software development or Computer Hardware as well as Networking, MSCT, COMPTIA A+, COMPTIA N+, CISCO, And many other professional courses are available to take you through the professional studies of a particular IT course, an Internationally Recognized Microsoft Engineer/Comptia A+ Professional earns more than a Nigeria computer engineer, if the Nigerian so called engineer doesn't have a Certificate to show his professionalism, so why waste 3-4years studying computer engineering when you can actually complete the professional course for a period of one year, there are only two accredited test centers were you can take your professional test in other to be certified in Nigeria, you can visit www.testout.com, www.comptia.org to get more information about these professional courses that dont just get you an international recognized IT Professional certificate but also make you a licensed computer Technician otherwise known as computer engineer in Nigeria. which means no matter where you go around the world, you are eligible to get employed by any IT industry/company...you can use Google to do some research so as to understand more about these IT course i just mentioned to you.
Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by GraphicsPlus(m): 1:47am On Sep 06, 2013
eddiebruk: As much as you have gotten a good explanation about CS, And computer CE, i think it will be a total waste of time and resources going into those areas when it comes to Computers, the IT world has made things so easy that Certification in a particular IT field is what matters most now, besides Nigeria other countries do not offer the two courses you just mentioned but rather they have made the system so easy for you to go straight into what you so wish to study be it Software development or Computer Hardware as well as Networking, MSCT, COMPTIA A+, COMPTIA N+, CISCO, And many other professional courses are available to take you through the professional studies of a particular IT course, an Internationally Recognized Microsoft Engineer/Comptia A+ Professional earns more than a Nigeria computer engineer, if the Nigerian so called engineer doesn't have a Certificate to show his professionalism, so why waste 3-4years studying computer engineering when you can actually complete the professional course for a period of one year, there are only two accredited test centers were you can take your professional test in other to be certified in Nigeria, you can visit www.testout.com, www.comptia.org to get more information about these professional courses that dont just get you an international recognized IT Professional certificate but also make you a licensed computer Technician otherwise known as computer engineer in Nigeria. which means no matter where you go around the world, you are eligible to get employed by any IT industry/company...you can use Google to do some research so as to understand more about these IT course i just mentioned to you.

I want to say you are wrong. CS and CE are still offered by universities all over the world. In India, they call it BCA (Bachelor's of Computer Application) and it's for three years. And if you want to do the Master's (MCA), guess what, it's another three years. And I tell u, guys are doing it and coming out equipped. If you have opportunity to study a degree in a university especially abroad, please dont fail to study it. If you have a degree in Computer Science from a good school and you end up getting a professional certification, the person that has only professional certification cannot stand you. Again, most tech companies like Yahoo, Facebook, Microsoft and Google do not employ people that merely have certification. They always require that the applicant be a graduate of computer science. But if you are sure you are an entrepreneur, which means that u will not lift ur certificate tomorrow looking for a job, then i suggest you do a professional certification and then go and study MBA in a business school.

MIT, one of the best schools in the world still offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees in computer science till tomorrow. You cannot just rule out a university education that centres on computer science or computer engineering. And by the way, do u know that certification is a way some big tech companies or organisations 'officially and corporately dupe' people with their money? Most of these certification craps are done by Microsoft, Oracle and Adobe and all of them are champions of close source application. Do you need a jquery certification to start writing stunning effects with it? Do you need python or php certification to develop robust and scalable applications? And mind you, you will keep paying and renewing these certifications every year or bi-annually.

Do you know you can learn medicine if a medical doctor privately coaches you for 2 years? But ordinarily, it will take you 6 years to become a medical doctor? Why is it that people are not asking for the 2 years private coaching? Do you know that most auxiliary nurses are most experienced and knowledgeable than trained and qualified nurses? But these auxiliary nurses will continue to be mocked and paid 10k per month while a nurse that went to nursing school is respected and paid 100k.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by GraphicsPlus(m): 1:48am On Sep 06, 2013
In summary, I can say that a person who through hard-work and discipline honed his skill in programming or in whatever will always beat one with an impressive degree. But here is the catch. What happens when the former has a degree? He will be unparalleled.
Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by icore: 2:33am On Sep 06, 2013
NICE POINTS
Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Nobody: 2:36am On Sep 06, 2013
I will also like to make you understand that there is Advanced Professional Certification and, University Degree is not a must in over 70% of those Jobs you just mentioned, you can go through Microsoft Website or Comptia website to clarify this information, I am an IT Tech and i am speaking from my experience, although i am an Entrepreneur who is into Business, and i am working with my A+ and i am getting paid handsomely while doing my Comptia Project Management Course which is a separate course entirely, HP, DELL, MICROSOFT, and others do not make University degree a must, or would you say a Network Admin needs a UNI degree in other to get employed in any IT industry, of course no, these system in Nigeria do not work..this is why Microsoft made it's standard high so that a MSCT (Microsoft Certified Technician) will be able to have all the knowledge needed to work in a Microsoft Networking environment, with 2-3 Professional Certifications you will be able to stand and work in any IT Industry so far as it is your area of study without a UNI Degree, Foreign companies in the IT industry do not need the Uni Degrees unless you will say Nigeria still requires it because of their lack of proper Or Advance IT practices, i don't think there is any Nigeria University that teaches Programming...? so how do you expect a Nigeria graduate to get employed in a foreign company without a cert, when his Uni Degree doesn't even show what area of IT it contains..but a Cert will give you full eligibility to work and practice your Job anywhere around the world
Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Nobody: 2:40am On Sep 06, 2013
Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Nobody: 2:43am On Sep 06, 2013
also go through this and also toggle through the other options by your left

http://certification.comptia.org/getCertified/certifications/a.aspx
Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Nobody: 2:50am On Sep 06, 2013
and this one is for Microsoft Certfied Professionals

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/certification-overview.aspx#item-ID0EEAAAAACA

University Degree is not a must, and the Certificate is internationally recognized compared to a Nigeria Uni Degree on computer science or computer engineering.
Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by GraphicsPlus(m): 3:25am On Sep 06, 2013
Are you talking about the standard of education in Nigeria or you are saying that certification is better than a university degree anywhere and anytime?

Here is my point, if one can afford a degree in Computer science or Engineering, especially abroad, he should go for it. And then take certification exams along the line. You cannot pursue Master's in any university anywhere in the world with a certification no matter how advanced the certification is.

But if one cannot afford a university education, then by all means he should focus on informal education by learning online and then take certain certification exam.

Dont forget also that most certifications are done by private companies like Oracle, Microsoft and Adobe. For instance, I am pretty good in working with Adobe Photoshop. But there is a certification for it called Adobe Certified Expert (ACE). I see it as a corporate fraud. The exam will not teach you anything about photoshop. Just to test your knowledge and then if you pass the exam you will be certified. Then next year, you will be required to sit for the exam again. If you refuse to pay and sit for the exam again, you are no longer certified.

Again, I want you to know that I know that in some circumstances, a professional certification can make all the difference between landing a job or not being considered for it at all. However, in other circumstances, it's not really useful and most hiring managers will look for experience or skill over a set of letters after your name.

University degree is not a must and professional certification is not a must either. One can succeed in life and become the best he can be without both. However, if one has both, it will be great. And if I am to choose one, I will choose university degree.

1 Like

Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by Nobody: 3:46am On Sep 06, 2013
Well i think you dont seems to understand my points, and you must have misunderstood how these things works, there are lectures, online trainings, virtual worstations one has to deal with when it comes to these Certification.

What i am actually trying to say is this, Certificates are now taking over University Degrees in the IT industry, and yes because the Nigeria education system is poor that is the reason why Uni Degree still looks important, but if you study the IT industry very well, you will see that other areas of IT are now taking over the CS AND CE Degrees, programmers A+, Network+ Cisco Certs holders are now getting more Job than the CS and CE degree holders in developed nations.

Although they might seems to have both the Degree and the Cert but the UNI degree isn't what gave them the Job,all IT Companies now recommend their staffs to attain a cert if they want to keep their Job.

let me create a virtual situation for you to evaluate, You own a company and wants a hardware Technician, someone with a Nigerian CE UNI degree without a cert applies and another with a COMPTIA A+ Cert Applies, who will you choose among both..? i am sure it is the one with the Cert, because that is what shows he is specialized in the of the vacant position, a Uni Degree is a plus but not a necessity in this age of IT...Certs shows skills bro..

go to www.testout.com, if you follow proper channel in getting your Cert you will understand more than just what you think you know, there are lots of Virtual Materials that are used to study today, i did mine with Comptia UK through their South African study center without necessarily being in the UK, and it proved to me beyond reasonable doubt that indeed Certs are taking over Uni Degree.

The reason why they want you to sit for a test again after 3years is because by then there must have been new updates that they want to test your ability with, but mind you all those who got their Certs since 2009 are certified for life, re-taking tests only started in 2010...just because of how fast the IT industry is going and new things coming in place, take for example now that Microsoft has stopped giving support for Windows XP, probably in the next 10years those who will be in the IT industry wont know much or have much knowledge about Windows XP, and so if a customer recommends it and the IT guy doesn't know anything about it, that surely will look like an embarrassment to his Certs, which is the reason why they implemented the re-test stuff after every 3years.
Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by GraphicsPlus(m): 4:13am On Sep 06, 2013
You are also missing my point. The certifications you are talking about are given my foreign organisations and groups. The certifications are not given by any organisation in Nigeria, let's say Computer Society of Nigeria. So let me give you this scenario to evaluate. If you have a software company and there is a vacant to be filled. If someone with a first class degree in Computer Science from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and someone with a professional certification apply, who will you employ?

It does not matter Whether one has a university degree or professional certification, what matters is result. Can the person solve a problem?

Certification is not taking over university degree. What is taking over both certification and university degree is entrepreneurship and your ability to show result. Google founders were both Computer Science graduates. Mark Zukerberg never took any certification exam. He was actually studying computer science before he went on to found facebook.

An entrepreneur doesn't need both certification and university degree to succeed. He rather employs people with these qualifications. But if one wants to work as an employee, and he can afford university education, i advice he get university degree first. You can always get certification anytime. But you cannot always get admission and time to spend years in university to earn a degree.

1 Like

Re: The Best Course Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering by dsweetest(m): 8:42am On Sep 28, 2014
premoladex: Pls i nid 2 knw d best btw dem

NOTHING beats a university degree from a good school with a good, practical curriculum for the course in question.

I was a tutor in KarROX, and I know a bit about the certification environment. Those same companies with certification programmes would still go for computer science graduates. The only thing is the curriculum, scope of study and practical exposure in this course in Nigerian universities is a bit limited.

I am a qualified Microsoft Professional. These certifications are sometimes just ways for these companies to validate and support the very ecosystems they themselves created. It does not mean they are necessarily not good, but they cannot replace the already well established university system, in place for up to basically hundreds of years, so soon.

If you can get a good school with a good, hands-on curriculum, I would advise you to go for a full course in computer science, or computer engineering.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Best Alternative Ad Fir Google Adsense / How To Protect Your Blog/website From Hackers / 6 Тірs For Ѕеlесting Thе Веst Dоmаіn Νаmе Fоr Yоur Wеbsіtе

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.