Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,245 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:20 AM

Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. (12881 Views)

Life In The Megacities In 2040 (4 Visions) Video / First Building On Eko Atlantic City Ready In 24 Months / Pictures From Eko Atlantic Opening Ceremony... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by agbameta: 1:27pm On Sep 06, 2013

The luxurious Eko Atlantic on Victoria Island in Lagos

The Eko Atlantic project is a city that will reach international standards
The city of the future could well be a very interesting place in which to live. Forget the hectic, jam-packed urban decay that marks most modern cities: the metropolis of the future will be a clean, efficient and - above all else - thoroughly pleasant place to inhabit.

That’s the dream at any rate. Futurologist Jacque Fresco has been working for years on the Venus Project, a grand plan that reinvents the very notion of a city, and even our whole society, through a design he calls the ‘resource-based economy’.

What is most striking is that this development may not appear first in the west, but in developing nations. In particular: in Africa
The new Africa

The stereotype of urban Africa isn’t a pretty one: mention Cairo, Lagos or Nairobi to the average westerner and crime, slums and poverty are what comes to mind. So the news that Africa is in the process of creating multiple, highly advanced urban developments, including brand-new megacities (designed to house over 10 million people) is somewhat at odds with our preconceived ideas about the continent.

Africa has big plans for its future. And these involve moving rapidly towards the urbanisation of its one billion citizens. A UN report published in 2012 predicts that "Africa's urban population is expected to more than triple from 414 million to 1.26 billion people by the year 2050."

These people are not expected to live in the slum dwellings that blight current African megacities: Cairo already has 19.5 million citizens, but eight million are estimated to live in slum dwellings (up to one million live live in Manshiet alone).

Fresco is no stranger to poverty. "It was during the Great Depression of 1929," he says, "I lived in New York then and I was exposed to many different ideas, but none of them seemed comprehensive, so I started working on a plan for a new type of society, that would eliminate most of the problems that exist today."

The Venus Project

This plan became the Venus Project: a sustainable city based upon energy efficiency, natural resource management and advanced automation. This is combined with a socio-economic system based on social cooperation.

But such a dramatically different vision for the city is harder to create in an already urbanized area: people are resistant to change. It’s far more likely to happen in an area where new developments are desperately wanted. Teo Kermeliotis, writing for CNN describes what is happening in Africa: "From the Konza technopolis outside Nairobi, to King City near the emerging port of Takoradi, Ghana, through the luxurious Eko Atlantic on Victoria Island in Lagos, these urban projects are designed to offer high-quality services and modern infrastructure."

Lagos is in a similar situation to Cairo, and is already rapidly evolving away from its slum-town image. Professor Johnson Bade Falade, habitat program manager for Nigeria, told CNN that a number of socio-economic factors have led to Lagos experiencing an "astronomical growth". "At the time Lagos was growing there wasn't too much importance attached to physical planning," he explained. "We were left with the kinds of challenges that cities are growing, planning is not complete."

The Eko Atlantic development in Lagos is a sign of things to come. This impressive residential and business development is being built primarily to protect Victoria Island from coastal erosion and the threat of flooding. This three and a half square miles of land is based on Manhattan, and is expected to provide accommodation for 250,000 people and employment opportunities for a further 150,000.

"This is a city for the 21st century, we are not using an old model," says David Frame, managing director of Eko Atlantic. "We are finding ways and means to produce a city that will reach international standards."

The luxurious Eko Atlantic on Victoria Island in Lagos
Better infrastructure

To this end Lagos has launched new rapid-transit bus systems, reliable urban railways and a fleet of new rubbish collection lorries to prevent the new area descending into squalor. "We have a lot of opportunity for recreational facilities as well as providing a core business centre and a good place to live right on the coast of Lagos," says Eko Atlantic’s Frame.

Perhaps more than any other continent on Earth Africa sorely needs these kinds of projects. De Buys Scott, KPMG Africa head of infrastructure, says: "The gap between where Africa is and where we could be is huge...businesses cite road and transport infrastructure challenges as obstacles to functioning properly. Overcoming this will enhance the working environment for business.” In the view of Sue Bannister, a partner at City Insight: "The world today is about cities. Cities are where it is happening these days. Research show that cities make people smarter and more creative."

Impact on life

All of which sounds amazing, but only for those people lucky enough to live in the city. For those moving to a city there can be problems of homelessness and human congestion, which are less positive. And the process of renewal can be harsh on residents. “The Lagos State government has perpetrated a lot of human-rights abuses in urban slums, forcibly evicting communities without any warning or planning and without any remedy, settlement, or compensation, in their effort to develop the city," Felix Morka, the director of the Social and Economic Rights Action Center in Lagos, told Alexis Okeowo, a reporter from the New Yorker.

For all this, there is one big concern. The movie Field Of Dreams popularised the saying ‘If you build it; they will come’. But there are increasing developments around the world suggesting that isn’t always the case. China is building the largest megacity in the world and by linking up cities it hopes to connect 42 million people more effectively. But Chinese developers built a new complex in Ordos, Inner Mongolia, to house one million people; today the Kangbashi district remains mostly empty with only 20,000-30,000 inhabitants. The entire population has instead chosen to live down the road in neighbouring Dongsheng. The reasons? Initially the problem was high rental prices, but by the time the market for housing in Kangbashi collapsed it had garnered a reputation as a lost cause. Nobody wants to live there.

But given the choice between the slums of today and the gleaming cities of the future, it’s far better to dream of cities that take the best new ideas and make them a reality. And if that happens anywhere, it’ll happen in Africa first.

You might also like:

http://innovation.uk.msn.com/tomorrow/building-megacities-could-africa-lead-the-way

1 Like

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by agbameta: 1:28pm On Sep 06, 2013
Eko o ni baje o...

11 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by reporter1: 1:50pm On Sep 06, 2013
Great news! Say what you may about Tinubu, he's no doubt a visionary.

Eko o ni baje o...

Waiting for bros unas "claimers" to say they own the place.

2 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by SterlingTowers(m): 3:54pm On Sep 06, 2013
reporter?:

Eko o ni baje o...

Abeg don't indulge criminality. Call a spade a spade.

1 Like

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by alaoeri: 4:27pm On Sep 06, 2013
Sterling Towers:

Abeg don't indulge criminality. Call a spade a spade.
If Tinubu is a criminal & yet deliver SW from the sham of PDP, & SW is experiencing infrastructural development more than other regions in the country don't u think its better to have that criminal as a leader than to have the bunch of cluelessness & confused leaders in PDP.

12 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by gtrust: 4:31pm On Sep 06, 2013
I am not from Lagos state and I wanted to invest in this project.

I am afraid to invest because they will deport me or my loved ones!

If I invest $250,000 US Dollars in USA, my family and myself will get GREEN CARD (for life).
Lagos will delay my C of O & WE could even be deported while waiting for it.

I am really afraid

12 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by bloggernaija: 4:38pm On Sep 06, 2013
alaoeri:
If Tinubu is a criminal & yet deliver SW from the sham of PDP, & SW is experiencing infrastructural development more than other regions in the country don't u think its better to have that criminal as a leader than to have the bunch of cluelessness & confused leaders in PDP.

They called obafemi awolowo worse
But their fathers were educated and babysitted in the institutions in created.
Why should you listen to people who cannot even choose their own leaders not to talk of even electing a good one.

12 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by mayorall(m): 4:45pm On Sep 06, 2013
alaoeri:

We love the kind of criminal he is. So a criminal can be the south west messiah, Tinubu the criminal delivered us from the hands of carnivous.

Eko oni baje
Oyo oni baje
Ogun oni baje
Ekiti oni baje
Osun oni baje, e don dey dara.
Odua a gbe south west o.
REP ipinle omoluabi.

16 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by AkamuandStew: 5:11pm On Sep 06, 2013
May God Bless Tinubu.

He's the kind of thief we need at this stage of our history..

cool

6 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by obainojazz(m): 5:46pm On Sep 06, 2013
*faints*now that is beautiful
Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by T8ksy(m): 6:20pm On Sep 06, 2013
bloggernaija:

Yes o, their fathers and grandfathers all rushed down to western nigeria to partake in the free education Awo created in his area of jurisdiction. Something that their own leaders could not provide for them in their own region.

8 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by yarodin: 6:37pm On Sep 06, 2013
T8ksy:

Yes o, their fathers and grandfathers all rushed down to western nigeria to partake in the free education Awo created in his area of jurisdiction. Something that their own leaders could not provide for them in their own region.

Eko Atlantic for all, "one nejiria".

2 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by AdmYamamoto: 6:49pm On Sep 06, 2013
yarodin:

Eko Atlantic for all, "one nejiria".

You leeching urchins just love FREE things! Yet you claim you are the most hardworking Japanese and Jews in Nigeria??! Go and develop your land o ye thievers of other Nigerians!

13 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by Rhino5dm: 8:26pm On Sep 06, 2013
Adm. Yamamoto:

You leeching urchins just love FREE things! Yet you claim you are the most hardworking Japanese and Jews in Nigeria??! Go and develop your land o ye thievers of other Nigerians!

The Yoruba ingenuity. God bless Tinubu and Fashola.

6 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by yarodin: 8:47pm On Sep 06, 2013
Adm. Yamamoto:

Free? When did yorubas start giving out free things? Yeah you and your lazy people are dashing Igbos land, money left and right, abeg park well and watch us dominant you lazy cowards. "ONE NEJIRIA, ONE LAGOS, EKO NI BAJON FOR ALL".

7 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by yarodin: 8:49pm On Sep 06, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

The Yoruba ingenuity. God bless Tinubu and Fashola.

And also the countless non Yorubas that have contributed to the development of Lagos. EKO NI BAJON for all, "ONE NEJIRIA".

5 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by Rhino5dm: 9:28pm On Sep 06, 2013
yarodin:

And also the countless non Yorubas that have contributed to the development of Lagos. EKO NI BAJON for all, "ONE NEJIRIA".

The concept of one Nigeria according to IBOS. . .read below

https://www.nairaland.com/1394928/concept-one-nigeria-according-ibos

Read here again

https://www.nairaland.com/1408856/abuja-no-mans-land

https://www.nairaland.com/1405564/towards-igbo-fct-minister

THEY ARE ALL MY THREADS
Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by Kairoseki77: 9:45pm On Sep 06, 2013
Adm. Yamamoto:

Hahahahahahahaha! I laugh in Yoruba. grin

2 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by Krasid(m): 10:45pm On Sep 06, 2013
I am tired of seeing prototype's of the city.When are we going to start seeing the real thing?

2 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by agbameta: 11:02pm On Sep 06, 2013
Krasid: I am tired of seeing prototype's of the city.When are we going to start seeing the real thing?

The first skyscraper is under construction and the main Boulevard is also under construction..

Pay more attention to current affairs..

3 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by Krasid(m): 11:10pm On Sep 06, 2013
agbameta:

The first skyscraper is under construction and the main Boulevard is also under construction..

Pay more attention to current affairs..
I know.The question I am asking is, When will the whole Eko Atlantic City Project be fully completed.

1 Like

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by agbameta: 11:19pm On Sep 06, 2013
Krasid: I know.The question I am asking is, When will the whole Eko Atlantic City Project be fully completed.

I don't know and I don't think the developers sef sabi. Rome wasn't built in a day..

2 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by Brimmie(m): 2:17am On Sep 07, 2013
Eko Atlantic, The Future!!!

Awolowo Is Gon' Be Proud Of The Likes Of Fashola, Aregbeshola, Amosun, N Jagaban Himself Tinubu!!

Eko O Ni Baje Ooo!!

BTW Dat Albino Morafucker Banned Me Cos END TIME IS NEAR undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by Jayses(m): 9:09am On Sep 07, 2013
Ok ooo , i don hear , city of the future plus end time tinz
Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by telexfree1: 9:10am On Sep 07, 2013
Federal Republic of Lagos tinz..
Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by Jayses(m): 9:11am On Sep 07, 2013
K grin
Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by ichommy(m): 9:20am On Sep 07, 2013
wow Good wink
Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by rozayx5(m): 9:20am On Sep 07, 2013
i can see the place has already been flooded with Tinubu Azz lickers as expected grin grin

Tinubu is your messiah, yet he went abroad for his surgery grin grin grin

is there no hospital he built in his 8 years of office that could treat him in Lagos undecided undecided

Hypocrites

9 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by shaneroberts26: 9:20am On Sep 07, 2013
reporter?:

Eko o ni baje o...

It is very clear dat you have chosen dis special moment to insult yourself in public.

2 Likes

Re: Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. by Lordave: 9:21am On Sep 07, 2013
bloggernaija:

Why should you listen to people who cannot even choose their own leaders not to talk of even electing a good one.
what are you trying to say? Has anybody said anything about Awo or Tinubu here?
Why can't you tribalist just focus on the topic and stop burning cowardly for a tribal war?
Nawa to you guys o, bitterness and hatred can never do you good.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG To Privatise Railways, Inland Waterways, 6 Others In 2015 / Buhari Departs Addis Ababa (Photos) / Supreme Court Affirms Sanwo-Olu's Election As Governor Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.