Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

My Poultry Farm - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Poultry Farm (38474 Views)

The Tiny Egg I Saw In My Poultry Pen Today (Pics) / My Poultry Farm - Part 2 / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Poultry Farm by spanzed(m): 8:04am On Sep 27, 2014
FarmTech:
Men, I can't believe I miss this ur post for this long. Sorry for that.
Layers are hens that specialize in egg laying while quail are those smaller birds that matures fasters and lay small eggs. There is more market for layers eggs than quail eggs, but both can be profitable if u can find a regular market for them.
Except you want to start a hatchery biz, you don't need males. A day old chick cost about N210, that's the price I bought mine, but it can be lower than that depending on the time of the yr.
I dont use cages, but I know that the feed and water trough are made in the form of gutter and placed outside the cage. Yes, layers need extra light at night to lay more eggs.
I dont know much about quail yet. To get drugs, vaccines etc for layers, ask other farmers close to you or visit the market and ask. Try to get from shops close by. For vaccination plan, talk to other farmers in ur area - farmers that are succeeding, not the ones complaining.
Thanks bro
Re: My Poultry Farm by pet01(m): 12:16pm On Oct 09, 2014
Farmtech pls I want to know if u buy commercial feed or u locally produce ur feeds? If commercial, how do u cope with the price of feed and the quantity they consume in making profit? But if u use local feed how do u get ur mixtures right?

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farm by babsf: 1:22pm On Oct 09, 2014
Nwogbe:
Farmtech when did ur birds drop? I got mine from farmsupport too and they dropped at exactly 18wks and 3days(last Friday) buh they are slow in picking up. 1 3 4 3 5 is d sequence which i hv experienced. Is it normal? Cos i was expecting a geometric sequence.

please which feed do u use for dem b4 the 18weeks,,,,because i have 1200birds now of 4 weeks by dis Friday bt as u knw i really want to scw to the local 1, oh to mix wit concentrate and maize.....need to knw frm u plzzz
Re: My Poultry Farm by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 11, 2014
Hello all, have been asking here where I can get trained as far as poultry is concerned(practical), cos I intend going into poultry soon(majorly layers) but I want to av knowledge before I go into it.. It doesn't av to b a training center, I can even work @ any farm just 2 get d knowledge. I'm in ibadan. I anticipate ur replies.
Re: My Poultry Farm by Nwogbe: 8:52pm On Oct 11, 2014
babsf:

please which feed do u use for dem b4 the 18weeks,,,,because i have 1200birds now of 4 weeks by dis Friday bt as u knw i really want to scw to the local 1, oh to mix wit concentrate and maize.....need to knw frm u plzzz
Life stock. Its a commercial feed.
Re: My Poultry Farm by Nobody: 8:56pm On Oct 11, 2014
My brother, i hope u have stocked broilers for xmas.
Re: My Poultry Farm by Nobody: 9:01pm On Oct 11, 2014
FarmTech:

It's still very much in my mind. Let me just give you guys a summary of the porofit:
1. Feed intake per day: 66.5kg
2. Cost per kg of feed = N2350/25kg = N94/kg
3. Feed cost per day = 66.5kg x 94=N6251/day.
4. Average no. Of crates per day is 14 crates.
5. Average price per crate is N600.
6. Gross Profit per day = N600x14 crates = N8400.
7. Net profit is N2149 per day.
N.B. Cost of routine lasota vaccination (N720 every 6 wks or less), antibiotic preventive dose, water, multivit etc not included. They're small though.

i dont think dts d net profit per day for 497 birds cos u did not include the cost of thw layers when u will dispose them off.i heard its btw 800 to 1200 each.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 12:03pm On Oct 13, 2014
pet01:
Farmtech pls I want to know if u buy commercial feed or u locally produce ur feeds? If commercial, how do u cope with the price of feed and the quantity they consume in making profit? But if u use local feed how do u get ur mixtures right?
I use commercial feed and the price have not change yet. My supplier have not increase the price. Are you having problem with price?
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 12:07pm On Oct 13, 2014
babsf:

B4 you switch, test the new feed on some of them to avoid painful mistake. Also mix the old and new feed together for at least 2 weeks. After that u can give them only the new feed. Changing feed suddenly can be dangerous.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 12:11pm On Oct 13, 2014
mercylicious:

i dont think dts d net profit per day for 497 birds cos u did not include the cost of thw layers when u will dispose them off.i heard its btw 800 to 1200 each.
This is just a rough estimate. The actual cost will depend on the time of the yr. It's higher during festive season.
Re: My Poultry Farm by pet01(m): 10:06pm On Oct 13, 2014
FarmTech:

I use commercial feed and the price have not change yet. My supplier have not increase the price. Are you having problem with price?

Yes there has been 3x increase in less than 1 month, besides you sell ur create for N600, is that they are small eggs or that competition brought the price down? In abuja here normal size egg sells for N700.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 11:32pm On Oct 13, 2014
pet01:

Yes there has been 3x increase in less than 1 month, besides you sell ur create for N600, is that they are small eggs or that competition brought the price down? In abuja here normal size egg sells for N700.
That's whole sale price, otherwise it's 650.
Edit: I have d/f prices. For whole sellers, it is 650 and 580 depending on size. For retailers, it is 600 and 650. [/quote]
Re: My Poultry Farm by pet01(m): 2:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
FarmTech:

Pls inform me, how many crates do you sell as whole sell. Tnx
Re: My Poultry Farm by tabontabon: 3:54pm On Oct 14, 2014
FarmTech:

did u repeat marek vaccination for your birds when you brought them from the hatchery.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 7:31pm On Oct 15, 2014
pet01:

Pls inform me, how many crates do you sell as whole sell. Tnx
I sell to both wholesellers and retailers.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 7:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
tabontabon:

did u repeat marek vaccination for your birds when you brought them from the hatchery.
Yes I did.
Re: My Poultry Farm by Kalusam(m): 10:59pm On Oct 15, 2014
For any one who is a novice to Livestock production in Nigeria, this is an opportunity to learn and meet with gurus in the Agribusiness sector. See details of the 2014 National Agribusiness Summit in Ibadan 28th - 30th October, 2014 http://kalusam./2014/09/18/nigeria-invitation-to-the-2014-national-summit-training-exhibition-on-livestocks-crop-managements-in-nigeria/
Re: My Poultry Farm by Abiola1016: 10:18pm On Mar 20, 2015
Hi guys I am new in this poultry business and I pretty much have all the info I need except for the feeding part and vaccines. My target is 2000 day old layers birds which I will be booking soon. However the feeding cost will throw me out of budget. I was looking at commercial brand of feed vs locally milled feed and I still don't get it. Can any good and experienced nairalander assist me in breaking down the cost to feed 2000 layer birds from day old to 8 weeks both commercial and local ? Thanks
Re: My Poultry Farm by Nobody: 11:18pm On Mar 20, 2015
Wow,dis has been realy hlpful.i've been nursing a thing for poultry 4 a while nw.tnx a lot.following
Re: My Poultry Farm by davidzfarm18(m): 1:14pm On Mar 21, 2015
FarmTech:

It's still very much in my mind. Let me just give you guys a summary of the porofit:
1. Feed intake per day: 66.5kg
2. Cost per kg of feed = N2350/25kg = N94/kg
3. Feed cost per day = 66.5kg x 94=N6251/day.
4. Average no. Of crates per day is 14 crates.
5. Average price per crate is N600.
6. Gross Profit per day = N600x14 crates = N8400.
7. Net profit is N2149 per day.
N.B. Cost of routine lasota vaccination (N720 every 6 wks or less), antibiotic preventive dose, water, multivitī etc not included. They're small though.
Sure you are feeding the birds too much and they may develop fats. on a daily basis, egg laying birds should consume an average of .125 grams.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 2:42pm On Mar 21, 2015
davidzfarm18:

Sure you are feeding the birds too much and they may develop fats. on a daily basis, egg laying birds should consume an average of .125 grams.
It's 125g not .125g. I later reduce it though. There was a time they'll consume the normal quantity and will still be crying for more.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 2:45pm On Mar 21, 2015
Abiola1016:
Hi guys I am new in this poultry business and I pretty much have all the info I need except for the feeding part and vaccines. My target is 2000 day old layers birds which I will be booking soon. However the feeding cost will throw me out of budget. I was looking at commercial brand of feed vs locally milled feed and I still don't get it. Can any good and experienced nairalander assist me in breaking down the cost to feed 2000 layer birds from day old to 8 weeks both commercial and local ? Thanks
I will advise you start with 500 and budget 1k to cover feeding, vaccinatn, debeaking etc.
Re: My Poultry Farm by Abiola1016: 6:23pm On Mar 22, 2015
Thanks Farmtech... When u said 1k for feeding and vaccine can u please break it down as in per bird feeding and vaccine. Once again thanks
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 11:18am On Mar 23, 2015
Abiola1016:
Thanks Farmtech... When u said 1k for feeding and vaccine can u please break it down as in per bird feeding and vaccine. Once again thanks
The 1k is for 1 bird. It may be much because it was N800 per bird before but with the increase in feed price, it is better to assume a value higher than N800.
Re: My Poultry Farm by Abiola1016: 5:39pm On Mar 23, 2015
Thanks again for the info. Is the 1k from day old to point of lay? Also I will assume it includes the vaccination and feeding
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 11:01pm On Mar 23, 2015
Abiola1016:
Thanks again for the info. Is the 1k from day old to point of lay? Also I will assume it includes the vaccination and feeding
Yes, but note that it may not be up to N1k!

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farm by bigiyaro(m): 9:11am On Mar 24, 2015
@farmtech, my broilers will b 2 wks on thursday,i've done d first vacn. I recenly notice dat some of dem pass wet brownish excrete. Pls hw do correct this. Thanks.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 1:35am On Mar 25, 2015
bigiyaro:
@farmtech, my broilers will b 2 wks on thursday,i've done d first vacn. I recenly notice dat some of dem pass wet brownish excrete. Pls hw do correct this. Thanks.
It may be normal. It's called cecal droppings. Do they look sick? Do they eat and drink well?
Re: My Poultry Farm by bigiyaro(m): 4:56am On Mar 25, 2015
FarmTech:

It may be normal. It's called cecal droppings. Do they look sick? Do they eat and drink well?
non of them look sick or act sick,they r eatin n drinkin wella, very very active birds i must say. Thanks for ur help God bless u

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Black Snake I Just Killed This Night While Searching For My He Goat / How To Do Fresh Pepper Farming? / Wonders Of Nature In My Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.