Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,321 members, 7,780,798 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:28 PM

Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday (9484 Views)

See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / Bishop David Oyedepo’s Prophecy About 2015 Elections / World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by olokfor: 7:44am On Sep 08, 2013
Elders of Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Nigeria has appealed to the federal government to reconsider their appeal of changing the nation’s election day from Saturdays to any of the working days.

The Church stakeholders claimed that letters have been sent to the appropriate government quarters on the need to fix elections for any other day except Saturday.

They noted that their demands were not only limited to just Saturday, but include other two days (Sunday and Friday) which are normally used by Christians and Muslims as their worshiping days.

The newly re-elected President of the Western Union of Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Nigeria, Pastor Oyeleke Owolabi, who spoke with reporters on behalf of the elders at a press conference in Akure, the Ondo state capital, suggested that it would be proper for the government to choose any working day for elections.

He noted that other countries in the world do not normally conduct elections on Saturday, stressing that such was to allow religious Liberty.

Owolabi added that government should respect religious day, saying Nigerian Constitution permits freedom of religion.

His words, “We are not speaking with a selfish mind, but what we are clamouring for is that elections should not be conducted on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays because these days are important worship days for Christians.

“We have our brothers and sisters in other religion who have their own worship day on Fridays and events like elections and other crucial activities are not normally fix for such day.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/09/07/elections-adventist-church-tells-fg-to-respect-worshiping-days/

3 Likes

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by Sleekydee(m): 8:08am On Sep 08, 2013
Errrrrrrm!!! Hummmmm!!! Not so sure!!! Stil tinking, just ma opinion...I mite b rong tho, but I aint sure FG is gonna giv dis plea any attention.
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by owolabifunke14(f): 8:21am On Sep 08, 2013
This is how appeals should be made not through bombing of other peoples places of worship.Fg should grant them this request

28 Likes

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by gerald09(m): 9:06am On Sep 08, 2013
Well that's fine while d FG is on dat dey can also make new yam festival a holiday, and make friday a weekend or h*ell they should make all traditional event a public holiday, so every religion gets dere way. Rubbish*

6 Likes

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by raytony: 9:19am On Sep 08, 2013
Not on monday cos its for Ayelala worshipers.
Not on tuesday cos its for Sango worshipers.
Not on wednesday cos its for Ogun fans.
Not on thursday cos its Aregbesola's (Ifa) fans.
When Government go come do election?

15 Likes

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by owolabifunke14(f): 12:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
gerald09: Well that's fine while d FG is on dat dey can also make new yam festival a holiday, and make friday a weekend or h*ell they should make all traditional event a public holiday, so every religion gets dere way. Rubbish*
huh!writing with heavy heart?
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by Nobody: 1:16pm On Sep 08, 2013
I wonder if any of the members of this church are fans of football teams...considering that most teams 'work' on the sabbath

1 Like

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by Afam4eva(m): 1:17pm On Sep 08, 2013
It should be moved to the midnight when witches are flying so that they can help politicians stuff ballot boxes in ghost mode.

8 Likes

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by crackhaus: 1:19pm On Sep 08, 2013
This is just sad...for the Adventists!
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by Perkins007: 1:20pm On Sep 08, 2013
Well noted, FG over to U̶̲̥̅̊ , next topic

1 Like

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by Cultured(m): 1:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
Karl Marx was right when he asserted that "Religion is the opium of the people" . The world will surely be far more better than it's without religion - we all have the Cosmic Host living in us and through us He manifests Himself ,therefore there's no need for religion of any facets .

I thought that religious folks do propagate that " prayer solves all problems " , so why this continuous plea to the government to proscribe the conduct of elections on Saturdays , instead of using prayer to stop them from doing so. Does it mean that prayers doesn't work anymore ?

4 Likes

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by nora544: 1:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
raytony: Not on monday cos its for Ayelala worshipers.

In my country and i live in an cristian country we have elections on sunday and it is no problem for the people because they have time the hole day and when they don't want this they can send a special mail and can make there election but i know this is not possible in nigeria.

We will have election in two weeks on sunday.

1 Like

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by starbuck(f): 1:26pm On Sep 08, 2013
The Fg wouldn't listen to their pleas as long as the church is under a xtian organization, so the church should better change their day of worship to Sunday

Xtians worship on Sundays while Muslim s worship on Friday s
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by condralbede(m): 1:26pm On Sep 08, 2013
My fellow NL please I hv questions to ask.3 days ago I was banned for saying End Time Tinz,so my question now is y must they ban me for saying such,are we nt in Democratic era?is it nt my crdt /Mega byte am using to say that?most I say what mukina n d other moderators wants?y didn't they ban other ones that said dat too or uses dot to book space?well for me it's too bad and that's just typical sign For END TIME THINGS.I know u guys are still going to ban me again,bt remember seun this is nt hlpin dis great forum.tnx

26 Likes

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by Brimmie(m): 1:29pm On Sep 08, 2013
This post has been hidden.
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by chynabest(m): 1:33pm On Sep 08, 2013
Hmm my lips closed
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by BabaAlabi: 1:34pm On Sep 08, 2013
This is a sign of something...
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by onyetunge: 1:35pm On Sep 08, 2013
End time things

4 Likes

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by ChiSun27(m): 1:37pm On Sep 08, 2013
starbuck: The Fg wouldn't listen to their pleas as long as the church is under a xtian organization, so the church should better change their day of worship to Sunday

Xtians worship on Sundays while Muslim s worship on Friday s

Keep quiet!!!

6 Likes

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by TUNEX89(m): 1:37pm On Sep 08, 2013
raytony: Not on monday cos its for Ayelala worshipers.
seconded

1 Like

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by UyiIredia(m): 1:38pm On Sep 08, 2013
So sorry. Sectarian interests can be sacrificed for the greater good and it is worthy in this case.
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by ChiSun27(m): 1:39pm On Sep 08, 2013
Yes oooooo!!!!! As an adventist...I have the right to vote so the election days should be changed to d days that it will be favourable to all.

6 Likes

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by dareyking(m): 1:42pm On Sep 08, 2013
If i hear say Fg do as if People d talk....Pls beware of Topic Derailers......End Time Tinz...

1 Like

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by ziccoit: 1:42pm On Sep 08, 2013
Like Friday shouldn't be a working day.

1 Like

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by Gideojim(m): 1:43pm On Sep 08, 2013
Hmmm not too bad since they said that when they serve their God FG should listen to them perphares Traditional worshippers are biding for public holiday
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by johnstar(m): 1:55pm On Sep 08, 2013
undecided
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by Serendipity: 1:56pm On Sep 08, 2013
The appeal is otiose and non sequitur.
Sabbath is made for man and not man for the sabbath.
Can't they dispense themselves just for that period the election will be on for the general good of all?
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by Maxwellbaba(m): 1:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by ajasa4link: 1:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
is seven days Adventists now a religion?...Na wa for this country o,over-religiousness is one of our major problems...soon Jehovah witnesses will tell the government they don't vote because they attend their kingdom hall meetings everyday and they cannot vote on the days they attend kingdom hall meetings...Na real wa for this country
Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by johnstar(m): 1:58pm On Sep 08, 2013
onyetunge: End time things
its 2 dry undecided

1 Like

Re: Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday by Originalsly: 2:02pm On Sep 08, 2013
ChiSun27: Yes oooooo!!!!! As an adventist...I have the right to vote so the election days should be change to d days that it will favourable to all.
You have your right to vote. Do the Adventists now want to serve two masters? Voting is an option and not a must...the church should focus on what it supposed to be doing and stop meddling with politics.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Fifth Kingdom(of God) In The Bible Prophecy Of The Book "DANIEL 2" Is Islam! / I Wish There Was A God (A Reply) / How To Satisfy Your Spiritual Thirst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.