Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,827 members, 7,802,645 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? (18946 Views)

Househelp Cuts Off Baby's Hand (Graphic Pics) / Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. / How Well Do You Know Or Trust Your Househelp(s)/nanny (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by bebe2(f): 1:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
most homes in Nigeria have maids or house help, you watch in movies how they are treated. is dis a movie thing or do people actually treat their maids badly?

my question is if u have or if you were to have a maid which of this would apply to you,

1. What's the minimum age you would accept for a maid,

2. They would serve you food on the dining, while you and your kids sit to eat, they would go eat theirs in the kitchen.

3. Your 12 yr old maid washes your 12yr old daughters clothes,

4. Your kids go to a different school to your maid,

5. Your kids do extra lectures after school and your maid stays in the kitchen cooking.

6. after dinner all the family sit together watching tv and having a laugh but the maid either sits in the kitchen to while away time or sits in her room by herself.

point of this post is, are there better ways of handling these scenarios, thereby making it fair on your family, the maid and humanity in general.

10 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by bellong: 1:11pm On Sep 09, 2013
I will treat them the same way I want to be treated

7 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by greatgod2012(f): 1:30pm On Sep 09, 2013
The question that always come to my mind each time maid matters are raised is " Are these set of people not human beings? Are they created by a God different from the one who created us? Are they not born the way we are born? Are they not conceived the way we are conceived?
Why now is all these differences in their treatment?
As far as I'm concerned, I don't even like using the name maid, they have their names ke, abi? Some people even go to the extent of not addressing them by their names, that is very bad.

Anyone that has a maid or more should be able to treat them the way they would want their children treated.
Anyone who doesn't treat their maids with respect is inviting the wrath of God their creator on themselves.
And above all, whatever we sow is what we are going to reap, but the unfortunate part is that our kids also reap part of these things. So we need to be careful.
May God help us all.

11 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 09, 2013
My Views:

1. Don't employ a child, let children have their childhood, you want to "Help" put the child on schoolarship and let them grow in their own homes, getting a child to work for you in return for food, used clothes and cheap schools is not helping.

2. Set work hours, no maid should work 24/7 have a time for the maid to work and time when you take over from her or him.

3. Pay a decent and minimum wage: it is not slavery, this person is offering a service you don't do yourself so pay a fair wage and good conditions of service same way you expect good working conditions from your boss.

4. You don't own them, they work for you but they have their own private lives to live as long as it doesn't compromise the welfare and security of your own family. Your employer may monitor you to ensure that you don't leak company secrets, and in services like Police and SSS, your spouse may be checked to avoid penetration but beyond that your employer doesn't check on your movements 24/7 and decides for you if you should date or not, same respect should be accorded to MATURE maids. They are not your property.

5. Keep the Mesiah complex to your self, you are not their saviour, even if you have given them a better life you are just an instrument, even you at one point in your life someone gave you a chance and an opportunity, I doubt you endlessly have to worship that person as we expect from our maids, and make statements like "when she came she was so thin and smelling, see her now" they are humans not dogs.
Do unto others what you want others to do to you

19 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by tolurainbow(m): 2:39pm On Sep 09, 2013
Lover n sex partner
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2013
Like family o. Too bad some people treat them like garbage. They are entitled to education, good food, decent bed , clothes and respect.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by gluv01(f): 2:41pm On Sep 09, 2013
Do unto others as you will expect them do unto you

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Lilaex: 2:41pm On Sep 09, 2013
Well we hav a femal ause help so I BLEEP her wen ever I want or get the urge.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by herbeytv(m): 2:41pm On Sep 09, 2013
6. after dinner all the family sit together watching tv and having a laugh but the maid either sits in the kitchen to while away time or sits in her room by herself.

[/quote]

I will drink Osomo and visit her in her room just for peace talk on Syria war and stop ASUU strike.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 09, 2013

We've never had a househelp, even when I was a child (and I'm the only child). I learnt to do the house chores at a very early age, and I'm better off for that.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Boll2010: 2:42pm On Sep 09, 2013
I cook 4 my maid! Wash her cloths! Tak her to skul!buy cloths bath her# sumbdy tel me y I shldnt fu!ck her grin grin am only reapn whr I sowed grin

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 09, 2013
nyash her when my wife no dey house tongue

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Boll2010: 2:44pm On Sep 09, 2013
herbeytv: 6. after dinner all the family sit together watching tv and having a laugh but the maid either sits in the kitchen to while away time or sits in her room by herself.

I will drink Osomo and visit her in her room just for peace talk on Syria war and stop ASUU strike.
won't u send me as UN delegate to her! Trust me no chemical weapons on her! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by olapluto(m): 2:44pm On Sep 09, 2013
This is one topic most people run away from. I wont be surprised to see a lot of hypocrisy here. Housemaids range from 4yrs old to perhaps 50. They are always at the mercy of their owner. They are denied basic human rights and hardly have anyone to hear them out. There is no limit to working hours. THIS, is a major problem in Nigeria, though most child right activists turn a blind eye.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 09, 2013
If all nairalanders are so angelic and heavenly as they claim , Nigeria would be better

No matter how nice a woman is there is always that notable difference on how she treats her maid and her kids

it's just natural

in another news

Uniport dun scatter sha #ASUU www.nairaland.com/1431955/ASUU-strike-protest-uniport-blocks

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by russianmob27: 2:46pm On Sep 09, 2013
i remember when i was 17, our housemaid haf big yansh and i always wanted to yansh that big yansh but i am happy that when mummy and daddy is not around, i c.um to her and she c.um to me and we came together cool

15 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by herbeytv(m): 2:47pm On Sep 09, 2013
Boll2010: won't u send me as UN delegate to her! Trust me no chemical weapons on her! grin grin

Why not JTF or OPC ?
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by angelz(f): 2:47pm On Sep 09, 2013
You dont know where your kids might find themselves tomorrow. So treat another's as you want your kids to be treated.
l know its very easy for most of us to drop nice comments and acts otherwise.
For one l will not employ an underage as a help. l ones had a 13 year old whom l noticed can read averagely well. l spoke to the dad to let me send her to school and pay half of the agreed monthly salary, (since she will be in school the same time as my kids), but he refused and insisted on collecting full monthly pay on the girl. The girl's mum is late and the dad has another wife with her children and his. So the house is already full and he has no qualms laying the girl off to fetch him money.
The thought of the girl maltreating my kids when am not home was enough reason to treat her nice and give her whatever l gave my kids. At least she will think of how nice am treating her n do same to my kids.
Let's not think its only women that maltreat their help.
I've read of situations where the woman was nice and the man was the terror. But its more of women who are mean to them.
Their creator is watching and we should not expect his blessings when we are mean to any of his creation.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by IAMBREEZY: 2:47pm On Sep 09, 2013
Sorry i don't have.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by otunbashonny(m): 2:48pm On Sep 09, 2013
Op pls define the word 'maid' and try to understand it well.
Why don't you go and sit on your boss chair and claim equal right. Nonsense
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Asemo11(m): 2:49pm On Sep 09, 2013
illitrate: nyash her when my wife no dey house tongue
ur username that's how people like u reason

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by starboyz: 2:50pm On Sep 09, 2013
I wil treat my maid kindly but not to d extend of given them d same right or care i giv 2 my kidz coz she/he might mistake d favour u giv to her for granted.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by vanessa5666: 2:50pm On Sep 09, 2013
LOL
russianmob27: i remember when i was 17, our housemaid haf big yansh and i always wanted to yansh that big yansh but i am happy that when mummy and daddy is not around, i c.um to her and she c.um to me and we came together cool
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 09, 2013
. Where i fit buy zobo here

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Africandope(m): 2:51pm On Sep 09, 2013
Like a cousin
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Jeel: 2:51pm On Sep 09, 2013
Its child abuse. If you want to adopt a child go ahead.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Kairoseki77: 2:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
I have been trying to convince "someone" to allow me to hire househelps like this. I would treat them well well.

This "person" would prefer me to hire old ugly women. Why must she ruin my childhood dreams? cry
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by dareyking(m): 2:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
Treat her well and mke sure i do my part in the development of the Back and Front.....i also mke sure i Bleep her jst to show her comfort....Body nor be Fire wood me ode she Robot....

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by joshuaidibia(m): 2:53pm On Sep 09, 2013
I'l treat her wt kia nd love. If madam no dy,nd konji hold me,den we pyto. I'l treat her as if its N TIME.
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 09, 2013
Jst don't know why ppl used to have maids, I hate ppl that maltreats others.....
Re: How Do You Treat Your Househelp/maid? by AnOlAd: 2:55pm On Sep 09, 2013
Hmmmm sometimes this house helps are really really really terrible with bad attitude, no matter how much you try to be good to them, they already have the evil mentality... dont be deceive... Talking from experience...

God knows I treat my house help sooooo well, but Damn he doesn't deserve it at all...

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Little Nephew Wants To Know What ''Sex'' Is, Help / Is It Justified Or Pure Wickedness? / Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.