Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,924 members, 7,803,000 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities (11579 Views)

NANS Calls For The Revocation Of "Dr." Buhari's Degree, Insists It's Fraudulent / Unbelievable: NANS ''honours'' Buruji Kashamu (photo) / List Private Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by Fran6ik: 5:36pm On Sep 09, 2013
The proprietors of private universities in the country have called on the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) to appeal to those managing the education sector in the country rather than threaten to seal off privately- owned universities over the protracted strike embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).

Speaking on the threat by NANS to seal off privately owned universities at the weekend in Akure, the Vice Chancellor of Babcock University, Professor James Makinde and the President of the Western Union of Seventh Day Adventist Church in Nigeria, Dr Oyeleke Owolabi, described the threat as an empty one.

Makinde said the students body had no right under the Nigerian law to take such action over the lingering ASUU strike, saying all the universities were licensed to operate under the nation’s law.

The VC, who spoke alongside Dr Owolabi at a press conference organised during the Union constituency, said if the failure of NITEL could not affect privately- owned telecommunications companies in the country, then the students could not embark on such action.

Similarly, Makinde explained to the students body that students of private universities are not members of NANS and could not be forced to participate in the activities of the body.

He sympathised with the students, who had been kept out of school for more than eight weeks over the protracted strike embarked upon by their lecturers, but advised them to think of a better option of ending the strike.

He also called on the Federal Government to stop playing politics with the lives of the students, saying they are the future leaders.

Speaking on the high cost of acquiring private university education in the country, Dr Owolabi said churches in Nigeria had come to the aid of the education sector and prevented it from collapsing.

He said private universities had provided better alternative as all public universities had been under lock and key in the past few months adding that “the church-owned universities like Babcock, have given hope to parents and young Nigerians, who need to acquire tertiary education. Although people complain of high cost of fees, but considering the time wasted during strike period like this, one will agree that these privately-owned institutions are not expensive afterall as there’s no doubt that one can graduate with a PHD at the age of 25 in Nigeria.”

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/item/21156-
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by amiskurie(m): 5:41pm On Sep 09, 2013
cry o cry! sad

1 Like

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by wellmax(m): 12:29pm On Sep 10, 2013
I knew NANS was just blabbing. You can't shut down the all the Private Universities.
Go and shut down the Government instead.

3 Likes

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by DollyParton1(f): 12:30pm On Sep 10, 2013
Who ever came up with the idea of sealing up private universities is a proper ediot.
How does that solve the problem on ground.
Just like the leaders, the youths are not using their brains. And they will come and say they are the future of Nigeria... I see the future clearly now.

5 Likes

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by DonaldGenes(m): 12:30pm On Sep 10, 2013
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmph! so so irresolute,[i][/i]
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 10, 2013
Ehn ehn, you really think so.
I know it might not be right but NANS abeg where is the protest starting, I want in on this one. We should start with CU and Redeemers, those that have been deceiving my people thru tithe and donation grin grin

Confused NANS
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by playcharles(m): 12:31pm On Sep 10, 2013
hmmm
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 10, 2013
It is well. . .but did NANS actually think they could shut private universities, sha. . .dreams do come true.

1 Like

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by olaezebala: 12:31pm On Sep 10, 2013
NANS and big mouth
NANS threats are always as funny as GEJ promises on fighting corruption

3 Likes

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by jmoore(m): 12:33pm On Sep 10, 2013
Of course they can't. Dem dey craze?

Let them try covenant university and they will receive the beating of their lives.

If they really want to protest they should go to Aso Rock
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by taiocol: 12:33pm On Sep 10, 2013
na 2day we knw say na Noise NaNs deh make.. Eeh
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by lawyer(m): 12:35pm On Sep 10, 2013
Just 1 question I want to ask NANS. If the federal Government accede to ASUU's demands and give them all the Billions they are asking for, will they share part of the Billions with the Private schools they intend to distrupt their academic activities and shut down too?

3 Likes

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by manny4life(m): 12:37pm On Sep 10, 2013
I agree with the article, rather than NANS playing an active role in the negotiation of ASUU, they are issuing empty threats. Private universities are what they are - PRIVATE. There's no student who pays 4x more than an average federal university student who wants to participate in shutting down his place of learning, like seriously? They know if they participate, na their money, when you come back, you receive academic penalty + increased tuition and fees, so who's at the losing end? I wish ASUU can return back to session so idle students can go back to their schools and be busy... They say an idle mind is the devils workshop.
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by agitator: 12:37pm On Sep 10, 2013
Fran6i.k:

He also called on the Federal Government to stop playing politics with the lives of the students, saying they are the future leaders.

Which future leaders? The future leaders are being trained in US and Europe. angry angry angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by sugardaddy1(m): 12:39pm On Sep 10, 2013
I am not in support of NANS shutting down private universities. But I thought the acronymn NANS meant National Association Of Nigerian Students. So, why would students of private universities in Nigeria not be part of NANS?

1 Like

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by Nobody: 12:39pm On Sep 10, 2013
The message is to tell that, a sheep (private university) is different from a goat (Public university) grin. This therefore means the two can never meet in any circumference under the earth. ASUU strike continues. grin

1 Like

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by crystalballs: 12:43pm On Sep 10, 2013
But we should do what is right.
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by Fazhy: 12:43pm On Sep 10, 2013
wellmax: I knew NANS was just blabbing. You can't shut down the all the Private Universities.
Go and shut down the Government instead.

We all know that.

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by mydex93(f): 12:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
agitator:

Which future leaders? The future leaders are being trained in US and Europe. angry angry angry angry angry
I am a future Leader..that you aint 1 doesnt mean you shud generalize it na

1 Like

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by AkinDavid2: 12:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
NANS is sick
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by Odunharry(m): 12:47pm On Sep 10, 2013
Dolly-Parton:
Who ever came up with the idea of sealing up private university is a proper ediot.
How does that solve the problem on ground.
Just like the leaders, sme youths are not using their brains. And they will come and say they are the future of Nigeria... I see the future clearly now.
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by mascot87(m): 12:49pm On Sep 10, 2013
RedBenson: The message is to tell that, a sheep (private university) is different from a goat (Public university) grin. This therefore means the two can never meet in any circumference under the earth. ASUU strike continues. grin
Just because your parents have the finances to send you to a private university doesn't make you a better person than those in the public university.You are just privileged and it's not an automatic ticket for you to be greater than those that schooled in the public schools.You cannot call your fellow students goat just because of the statements made by few guys on closing down private universities which we shouldn't take serious anyway.You irritate me with your statement dude,you really really irritate me

5 Likes

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by sammy329(m): 12:50pm On Sep 10, 2013
We already know that, NANS is just a barking dog
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by triploc: 12:51pm On Sep 10, 2013
Omo, NANS abi wetin una call una self? Am a graduate of a private uni and currently studyin for masters in a public uni which is currently on lock and key, so where do i belong? bowen or U.I?
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by Nobody: 12:51pm On Sep 10, 2013
Nans are jokers. I kept wondering how Nans is going to close a private school because the public schools are having issues with the Government.
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by manny4life(m): 12:51pm On Sep 10, 2013
mascot87:
Just because your parents have the finances to send you to a private university doesn't make you a better person than those in the public university.You are just privileged and it's not an automatic ticket for you to be greater than those that schooled in the public schools.You irritate me with your statement dude

How does his sarcasm translate into him being a student at a private university? So much emotions, relax and take a chill pill, it's not that serious.

1 Like

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by abujalapdog(m): 12:54pm On Sep 10, 2013
Fran6i.k:

They are smoking kush to feel they have such power to close private university.. Is this rotten corrupt ASUU going on strike for entitlements of private university lecturers.
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by Brymo: 12:55pm On Sep 10, 2013
Wetin concern P unis wit ASUU strike,person suck sour orange anoda peson mouth kon d shock am.
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by Brymo: 12:58pm On Sep 10, 2013
Promhize: Ehn ehn, you really think so.
I know it might not be right but NANS abeg where is the protest starting, I want in on this one. We should start with CU and Redeemers, those that have been deceiving my people thru tithe and donation grin grin
u need 2 b careful wen its comes 2 tins of God,av u paid ur tithe or any offerings in any of d churches,dont say tins lk a loser.

6 Likes

Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by Talk2bryant(m): 12:59pm On Sep 10, 2013
After all Mark and suswam re already praying and fasting...lets keep our fingers crossed and hope dis strike action ends... As for NANS dey dont av d rite as been said by d V.c. #team abuad
Re: NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities by olowodaran(m): 12:59pm On Sep 10, 2013
chelsea must win everton, hey abeg where i dey?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Simple Writing Tips You Might Find Quite Useful / Federal University Of Technology, Minna Gets New VC / FUTO Restores Expelled Student Activists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.