Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met (24630 Views)

Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) / Kwara Poly Students Protest Increase In Fees, Destroy Properties (pics) / Occupy Nsukka: UNN Post-graduate Students Protest Hike In Fees [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by presh2mos: 6:25pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mr Aboki: coool.. i support

i need not ask anyone 'cos from your comment, i can tell you're really an ABOKI without any form of responsibilty

1 Like

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by ayodeji752: 6:26pm On Sep 11, 2013
jericco1: This is getting Hotter i wan port ooo which country dey available?
Syria, AfghanIstan, Haiti, south Sudan, Iraq etc

1 Like

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by 190theclown: 6:26pm On Sep 11, 2013
Sageez: mehn! Dis strik tin is turning to a big time holiday. [size=18pt] plz guyz watz d meaning of ETT[/size]
grin grin grin grin
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by omonnakoda: 6:27pm On Sep 11, 2013
Eventually students have to pay for quality education. Besides University demand has to be controlled by fees. The population in Nigeria is too high. This happened in LASU and the trend will continue. However government should identify priority courses and award scholarships on merit. University is not for everyone. We need to emphasize diplomas in practical areas like car mechanic/technician,Shoemaking,Carpentry, Tailoring etc. In a country of 140 million people there should be jobs for tailors shoemakers etc. Why don't we make Suits,Shirts ties, boots etc. We have everything required and that is where government needs to focus training on not degrees that don't add value.
Nigeria should not be importing clothes,furniture and basic goods

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Mexyz(m): 6:27pm On Sep 11, 2013
The way am seeing ds strike nw,it seems ASUU members re tired of d strike,they re aparently lukn 4 govt attentns. Y are they organising news conference upon news conference? Call ds strike off nw or jst kip quiet jst lyk fg.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by babymillenium(f): 6:27pm On Sep 11, 2013
i think what ASUU want from students is fordm to go rioting,thats all the want.we have soo many illitrates in Nigeria but the still want the numbers of school drop out to increase.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by loneytunes(m): 6:29pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mr Aboki: [b]I'm very much in support of Universities charging a justifiable tuition fee..

YEAH!!! I know say people dey suffer .. BUT! I was raised to understand that Education is not only expensive but also priceless. If your papa no fit afford to send you go Private University or Abroad, then I'm sorry, you have got to hussle hard.

Okay! I know say some people don set to curse this shoe-shining Aboki.. grin Please heres my Logic;

1. A University is an expensive venture to run and operate. Go ask MIT and Harvard how much it costs them to maintain their high standards. #In Pidgin:: Better soup and money have alot in common..

2. The Nigerian government obviously lacks the ability to run anything not even a race.. Look at all their failed ventures like: NITEL, NEPA, PHCN, WATER BOARD, e.t.c.. Just like in business, the only successful Educational institutions in Nigeria are all privately run. NO SURPRISES. So if we need progress in the Educational system, we need to privatise all our Federal Univeristies and even state Universities.. Or make them autonomous.. Let them charge their own fees and determine their own salary structure. Saves us the problem of ASUU strike. However, the power of NANS should be preserved and fine tuned in a way.

3. MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS!!!! Ghen! Ghen!!!! SO the government through the ministry of education can set up a scholarship fund system based on merit. If your CGPA|CWA drops below a certain benchmark, you get a certain percent of your tuition in scholarship. It can be graded upwards to accomodate average - top class students. If you are below average, you either buckle up or make your daddy get a good paying job to pay for your tuition. #Period!

I believe that this will bring about a serious turn around in our education system, eliminate all these half baked graduates that only went to school because it was free|cheap and poorly run..

#Thats all..

Thats why many Abokis no dey even bother to go school... grin
[/b]

I quite agree with you. But it will not be funny initially especially the tution fees issue. It will also make lecturers and universities to sit up and stop waiting for govt largess like most states do in Nigeria now.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by stevolinkon40: 6:31pm On Sep 11, 2013
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Lovetinz(m): 6:31pm On Sep 11, 2013
Penhouse: Fagge and his cohorts are cawards. You may wanna visit www.nigerian.americantalk.net
What language do you use there, Esperanto?

Big4wig: Click like if its not easy to make front paGe come to think of Makin it 3x in a role
#BIGWIG
If you spend enough time reading real books. You will know how compose a simple sentence.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 11, 2013
... And they should also forsee more criminals in the society else how do they want students who fend for themselves to cope? Bunch of ****** jeopardizing with the future of her youths for their own selfish interests....

1 Like

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by dalynch(f): 6:32pm On Sep 11, 2013
So student will now pay the price. They are nt serious.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Reference(m): 6:41pm On Sep 11, 2013
They should not warn. They should just increase the fees, get the money and get on with it. If government will not pay, those who are stakeholders should.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by igbsam(m): 6:41pm On Sep 11, 2013
When I said everyone including various stakeholders should join in protesting this non-challant attitude the fg is showing towards the educational sector of this country., dem talk say I dey play. Sebi now, the protest wants to take another dimension. We shall see the outcome.

I said it and I will say it again; ASUU should never be blamed for the strike. If the fg is not ready to commit itself to a better education in this country, then its a waste going about with just a paper called certificate with no knowledge of what you went to school to study.

No good amenities in place in all Nigerian universities just to mention a few. And we are here blaming ASUU. With time you guys wud understand what ASUU is fighting for and not just for their own interests.

You should take your time and go through what they requested the fg to do. Simple.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by omojaytee(m): 6:44pm On Sep 11, 2013
‎​˚☺k°​​,so cn we resume nw?
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Reference(m): 6:51pm On Sep 11, 2013
Phiozy: ... And they should also forsee more criminals in the society else how do they want students who fend for themselves to cope? Bunch of ****** jeopardizing with the future of her youths for their own selfish interests....

Crime is a choice. Has nothing to do with society. If not the politicians who loot will blame society for their actions and no one has the right to hold them accountable.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by omonnakoda: 6:52pm On Sep 11, 2013
It will certainly help weed out cultists. By the time you pay one million a year you will think twice before that rubbish. Sure it won't eliminate it but it will help
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Sageez(m): 6:53pm On Sep 11, 2013
omojaytee: ‎​˚☺k°​​,so cn we resume nw?
resume waytin? ASUU holiday never finish o, it just 73days outta 300. Happy ASUU holiday dude
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by vivianc(f): 6:55pm On Sep 11, 2013
My school fee is 105k already, what are they gonna do? Increase it to 200k?

Egbe gbarie kwa ha isi there!
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by biomedixexcel(m): 6:57pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mr Aboki: [b]I'm very much in support of Universities charging a justifiable tuition fee..

YEAH!!! I know say people dey suffer for country .. BUT! I was raised to understand that Education is not only expensive but also priceless. If your papa no fit afford to send you go Private University or Abroad, then I'm sorry, you have got to hussle hard. Na life na ehn share card no give you WHOT.. grin

Okay! I know say some people don set to curse this shoe-shining Aboki.. grin Please heres my Logic;

1. A University is an expensive venture to run and operate. Go ask MIT and Harvard how much it costs them to maintain their high standards. #In Pidgin:: Better soup and money have alot in common..

2. The Nigerian government obviously lacks the ability to run anything not even a race.. Look at all their failed ventures like: NITEL, NEPA, PHCN, WATER BOARD, e.t.c.. Just like in business, the only successful Educational institutions in Nigeria are all privately run. NO SURPRISES. So if we need progress in the Educational system, we need to privatise all our Federal Univeristies and even state Universities.. Or make them autonomous.. Let them charge their own fees and determine their own salary structure. Saves us the problem of ASUU strike. However, the power of NANS should be preserved and fine tuned in a way.

3. MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS!!!! Ghen! Ghen!!!! SO the government through the ministry of education can set up a scholarship fund system based on merit. If your CGPA|CWA drops below a certain benchmark, you get a certain percent of your tuition in scholarship. It can be graded upwards to accomodate average - top class students. If you are below average, you either buckle up or make your daddy get a good paying job to pay for your tuition. #Period!

I believe that this will bring about a serious turn around in our education system, eliminate all these half baked graduates that only went to school because it was free|cheap and poorly run..

#Thats all..

[/b]
You just think nonsense and pour it out!. May God punish you and your entire family who are milking what is meant for the poor children and the entire nation

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Reference(m): 6:57pm On Sep 11, 2013
sammy_jay: when will this whole mess end?

When the average Nigerian becomes responsible and takes his destiny in his hands.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by nerodenero: 6:58pm On Sep 11, 2013
It is obvious that ASUU wants to receive the same if not more of the juicy package Senators and House of Rep. members take.Shame on ASUU and FG!
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Sageez(m): 6:59pm On Sep 11, 2013
vivianc: My school fee is 105k already, what are they gonna do? Increase it to 200k?

Egbe gbarie kwa ha isi there!
public skul 150k? Na wa o. Na Oxford uni of nigeria u de Or private skuls don follow join d strik?
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by nerodenero: 6:59pm On Sep 11, 2013
Reference:

When the average Nigerian becomes responsible and takes his destiny in his hands.
Will you lead?
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Reference(m): 7:03pm On Sep 11, 2013
nerodenero: Will you lead?

Yes, I will by paying any fees or forsaking the whole thing and getting something rlse to do. University education is not the ways and means to all in life. At least that's what you can see on the streets everyday.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by delpee(f): 7:04pm On Sep 11, 2013
Tuition fees will be introduced someday if we must have universities that will compete favorably with world class institutions. What should be the focus is how to reinstate the scholarships/bursaries of the past which many of us benefitted from. Most state govts gave bursaries to their students in the late 70s and 80s. It was enough to cover feeding, accomodation and books for a session. If the burden became too much at a point in time, they should have given preference to indigent students at least. Anyway a small amount payable per semester should suffice considering the large population in public universities. For instance, 10000 from 15000 students will generate 150m.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Nobody: 7:06pm On Sep 11, 2013

YEAH!!! I know say people dey suffer for country .. BUT! I was raised to understand that Education is not only expensive but also priceless. If your papa no fit afford to send you go Private University or Abroad, then I'm sorry, you have got to hussle hard. Na life na ehn share card no give you WHOT.. grin

#Thats all..

[/b]

Most Public universities in America is run by govt and multinational companies together. But Government suppose to provide an avenue in which student can get grants and loan in paying the school fess if they want to go through this route. FYI the grants/and some of the loans America give their students is tax dollar money paid for by the previous generation to help current generation as the current generation will now work to pay taxes for the future generations to go to school.. As you can see everything is connected, every sector of the country needs to be addressed for this to work smoothly.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Nobody: 7:06pm On Sep 11, 2013
The school fees are being increased even when there is no strike? They increase school fee almost every session so wat are they saying?
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Reference(m): 7:19pm On Sep 11, 2013
Education is a product and college education is a very expensive product. It has great potentials but unfortunately we don't seem to recognise its value in this country so we treat it with disdain. And I mean all stakeholders.

If goverment knew the potentials of education for real and lasting transformation they will invest everything in it.

If lecturers realised this too they would even put their little money into it knowing it has sure returns.

And if parents and students truly understand its worth they would pay any price to acquire it.

But alas everyone is waiting for everyone else to make the first move. That doesn't sound like ten hungry men around a plate of food. That doesn't look like something that has any value at all. Therein lies the problem. We have very little values as a nation.

But I'm sure that when we get to the base of human existence. When we can no longer even tie our shoe laces then things will improve. So there is hope.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Integrafamoo: 7:19pm On Sep 11, 2013
Federal universities should be privatised. These people and the FG are day-dreamers
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Salym(m): 7:21pm On Sep 11, 2013
Why should i pay over 120k for my masters tuition and have to be in the same fate with all these undergrads that get it cheap...abeg joor i wan go back school and finish my course o!
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Nten: 7:23pm On Sep 11, 2013

#Thats all..

[/b]

tellin dis universities to start charging fees is the worst tin to do. Do u knw hw much some of them are already charging... Exhorbitant and outrageous fees mehn! Supply the students loan lets c hw it goes.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by ofisa247(m): 7:23pm On Sep 11, 2013
gen2briz: Increase in what. ........
you dey sleep?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

LAUTECH Shut Down, Jambites Not Allow To Write Their Exams (Photos) / Sylvester Oromoni: Lagos Government Clears 5 Dowen College Students, Staff / Federal Polytechnic Oko Post-utme For 2015/2016 Academic Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.