Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,319 members, 7,780,791 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:17 PM

ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met (24598 Views)

Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) / Kwara Poly Students Protest Increase In Fees, Destroy Properties (pics) / Occupy Nsukka: UNN Post-graduate Students Protest Hike In Fees [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Chiscomax(m): 8:48pm On Sep 11, 2013
SHAIBU LIAR: doomed is an understatement
i am not doomed o bros.

my advice to students is for the to get busy. self development this period is very benefitting

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by lymelyte(m): 8:49pm On Sep 11, 2013
Is it not obvious that ASUU is the greatest enemy of students and not FG.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by NOIBMUUL(m): 8:50pm On Sep 11, 2013
Top gunz in FG and greedy bigots in ASUU have sold their futures to US and souls to the devil. They are ruthlessly sniffing out the poor and enriching a few extremely elite nonentities.

Just work hard and smart. Whatever your hands find to do, do it diligently with all sincerity. Stay focused and believe in an Almighty Supreme Being. We are not alone in this world, however with the right values, focus and persistence, we can "rise and rise again, until lambs become lions".
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by amedave(m): 8:53pm On Sep 11, 2013
Reference:

Yeah, yeah but if this problem can be sorted out one way or the other and suddenly OAU becomes Harvard and UNN, MIT then your certificate may just look a touch inferior and you may be forced to hide it or pawn it for a pack of Malboro.
bro naija educational problem is nt basically lack of facilities but rather lack of dedicated staff. Being honest even if we pay 500k as skul fews our certificate will remain the way it is because our lecturers lack creativity, some of lecture like they are being forced to doing it. For me FG should approve the earn allowance then sacked all these goat head lecturers who have notin to offer, develop a lng term plan of sendin gud graduates that are innovating nd sound to developed countries for specialization, that is the only way OAU can become Harvard of our dream. Y i said dis is dat there are many of these so called academic Don (professors) that i call academic mistake, its true. They are clamouring for equiped lab when almost al of them are out dated, it happened in one very famous university in nigeria recently when the faculty of engineering was equiped with modern equipment nd sad enough most engine lecturers in that school couldn't operate it, how can they teach their student. The true problem of nigeria education is not just the govt but the ppl that are at the helm of affair in these institution. We need total over hauling of the education sector so its nt all abt money or facilities but getin d right staff to run the affairs, ppl who are ready to lecture nt thunder nd lighten. Lastly we students must fight every form of hike school fees no matter the lies the govt will bring, guys make we 4get anything like loan or scholarship 4rm any govt because we all knw say na arrangee the mata go take end. Long live greatest nigeria students..... On ALUTA WE STAND

1 Like

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by amedave(m): 8:54pm On Sep 11, 2013
Reference:

Yeah, yeah but if this problem can be sorted out one way or the other and suddenly OAU becomes Harvard and UNN, MIT then your certificate may just look a touch inferior and you may be forced to hide it or pawn it for a pack of Malboro.
bro naija educational problem is nt basically lack of facilities but rather lack of dedicated staff. Being honest even if we pay 500k as skul fees our certificate will remain the way it is because our lecturers lack creativity, some of them lecture like they are being forced to doing it. For me FG should approve the earn allowance then sacked all these goat head lecturers who have notin to offer, develop a lng term plan of sendin gud graduates that are innovating nd sound to developed countries for specialization, that is the only way OAU can become Harvard of our dream. Y i said dis is dat there are many of these so called academic Don (professors) that i call academic mistake, its true. They are clamouring for equiped lab when almost al of them are out dated, it happened in one very famous university in nigeria recently when the faculty of engineering was equiped with modern equipment nd sad enough most engine lecturers in that school couldn't operate it, how can they teach their student. The true problem of nigeria education is not just the govt but the ppl that are at the helm of affair in these institution. We need total over hauling of the education sector so its nt all abt money or facilities but getin d right staff to run the affairs, ppl who are ready to lecture nt thunder nd lighten. Lastly we students must fight every form of hike school fees no matter the lies the govt will bring, guys make we 4get anything like loan or scholarship 4rm any govt because we all knw say na arrangee the mata go take end. Long live greatest nigeria students..... On ALUTA WE STAND
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by MrAboki: 8:58pm On Sep 11, 2013
biomedixexcel:
You just think nonsense and pour it out!. May God punish you and your entire family who are milking what is meant for the poor children and the entire nation

Hahahahahahaa..

I know your type.. You keep blaming the abject poverty in your family on fate, government, rich people and everything else except your lazy acursed family.. grin

Dude, I paid my way through school.. I and my family work hard to ensure that we stay above your family on the food chain of life.. I don't even know why you are bothered about ASUU strike.. Its been destined that your entire family tree will be below the poverty line till your family tree withers away.. Your children and childrens children will serve me and my generation.. Its not a curse, its just the way it is meant to be.. Bosses and biitches.. Rich people like me need poor poeple like you to have haters and people who look up to us..

Go blame your father for your status in life instead of focusing on those people that are so higher than you that they consider your type inconsequential. #poverty stricken wretched bastrad son of a lazy under achieving nonentity that calls himself a father..

Go and castrate yourself and all males in your family cos that the only way you can ever stop the poverty curse that is engraved in your DNA..

You notice I didn't mention your mother.. Why blame a poor woman who was so unfortunate to be fertilized by a bastard from a linage of bastards that should have all been killed off by natural selection

Shege danbanza!! angry
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Nobody: 9:01pm On Sep 11, 2013
Chai.. These people are desperate sha

E.T.T [END-TIME-TINZ]
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by pbling: 9:10pm On Sep 11, 2013
ds genocide,y anoda syria strike in nig,d poor r suferring
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by SHAIBULIAR: 9:10pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mr Aboki:

Hahahahahahaa..

I know your type.. You keep blaming the abject poverty in your family on fate, government, rich people and everything else except your lazy acursed family.. grin

Dude, I paid my way through school.. I and my family work hard to ensure that we stay above your family on the food chain of life.. I don't even know why you are bothered about ASUU strike.. Its been destined that your entire family tree will be below the poverty line till your family tree withers away.. Your children and childrens children will serve me and my generation.. Its not a curse, its just the way it is meant to be.. Bosses and biitches.. Rich people like me need poor poeple like you to have haters and people who look up to us..

Go blame your father for your status in life instead of focusing on those people that are so higher than you that they consider your type inconsequential. #poverty stricken wretched bastrad son of a lazy under achieving nonentity that calls himself a father..

Go and castrate yourself and all males in your family cos that the only way you can ever stop the poverty curse that is engraved in your DNA..

You notice I didn't mention your mother.. Why blame a poor woman who was so unfortunate to be fertilized by a bastard from a linage of bastards that should have all been killed off by natural selection

Shege danbanza!! angry
ol boy take am easy on the dude now
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by onlyme07(m): 9:14pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mubby4luv: I waz then supporting ASUU buh they just proved how irrelevant they re. Selfish old cargoes. their president carry face lyk dry sh**t. #Okada carry me go the nearest public toilet make I shi*t abeg.

Guy,na true the old man talk. A good example is Lasu. It was one of the worst universities in Nigeria few yrs ago but with the increase in the school fees,they have really changed and things are working out fine. It may look hard but that is the situation our leaders have put us into...they are ready to privatise everything that comes its way.misplaced priority you say,yes, it sucks though, but if that would be the solution. i think we bettter eat the hot pie like that else,til thy kingdom come they would be trading blames and the students are loosing. Remember,lecturers emonulments are paid as at when due.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by vikinatius(m): 9:16pm On Sep 11, 2013
Strike!!! FG are debtors, make dem just pay the remaining cash so the future of the students won't be delayed. FG too stingy for money, i wish i had to loan them i would have done it.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Nobody: 9:22pm On Sep 11, 2013
you better go find job do. things like teaching,,,.... here's an opportunity http://adigunsherif..com/2013/09/opportunities-for-students-on-strike.html if you are interested in a teaching job
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by NOIBMUUL(m): 9:24pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mr Aboki:

Hahahahahahaa..

Shege danbanza!! angry

You're a real hausa man. Speechless!
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by biomedixexcel(m): 9:32pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mr Aboki:

i hope you also are aware of the problems associated with student loan scheme in the U.S.. American students graduate and spend a good part of their working years repaying these loans.. Now merge that with the scarcity of jobs in the U.S.. So you are indebted from graduation till death.. i doubt anybody would want that.

I agree that the government should still keep injecting money into schools wether autonomous or not. But generally subsidizing education on a blanket scale is part of the problem.

USA indigens don't pay unless they secure a work that can fetch them at least £15,000 per annum. They are also been paid their indigenous allowee weekly.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by yusufamo(m): 9:36pm On Sep 11, 2013
DonColz1: If they increase the school fees, we students will go on strike too , till ASUU meets our own demands, good class room with aircondition, every student will have their own cars, and laptops too, if our demands are not met, then the strike for students will last for one year..

for ur dream!!
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Reference(m): 9:40pm On Sep 11, 2013
adesiku: Personally•••••*3 Personally•••••*3 Personally•••••*3. (Chorus)-personally.....professionally,this strike is intentionally,And the effect is physically,do they want us to go radically,Emotionally,psychologically,We are broke Economically,our girls agresivelly are going biologically,Sexually,dramatically.Haba- -Habatically,our boys are learning mechanically.Nomore forming swagatically and they talk sey they no wan gree ......... Strike theme song

Ha ha ha. They better call off this strike before you lose your mind.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Reference(m): 9:42pm On Sep 11, 2013
NOIBMUUL: Top gunz in FG and greedy bigots in ASUU have sold their futures to US and souls to the devil. They are ruthlessly sniffing out the poor and enriching a few extremely elite nonentities.

Just work hard and smart. Whatever your hands find to do, do it diligently with all sincerity. Stay focused and believe in an Almighty Supreme Being. We are not alone in this world, however with the right values, focus and persistence, we can "rise and rise again, until lambs become lions".

Good one.
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by jhidey08(m): 10:06pm On Sep 11, 2013
Big4wig: Click like if its not easy to make front paGe come to think of Makin it 3x in a role

#BIGWIG
hw much were u given 4making front page 3 tyms in a ''role''. Common ''row'' u no fit spell, u r one of doze abokis Mr Aboki tlked abt earlier. Agbaya
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Ejikeson: 10:15pm On Sep 11, 2013
Nawa...ooo
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by trolling(m): 10:34pm On Sep 11, 2013
a waste of time,money,energy to acquire a degree that wont profit now and in the years ahead....
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by McLuhan(m): 11:17pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mr Aboki: [b]I'm very much in support of Universities charging a justifiable tuition fee..

YEAH!!! I know say people dey suffer for country .. BUT! I was raised to understand that Education is not only expensive but also priceless. If your papa no fit afford to send you go Private University or Abroad, then I'm sorry, you have got to hussle hard. Na life na ehn share card no give you WHOT.. grin

Okay! I know say some people don set to curse this shoe-shining Aboki.. grin Please heres my Logic;

1. A University is an expensive venture to run and operate. Go ask MIT and Harvard how much it costs them to maintain their high standards. #In Pidgin:: Better soup and money have alot in common..

2. The Nigerian government obviously lacks the ability to run anything not even a race.. Look at all their failed ventures like: NITEL, NEPA, PHCN, WATER BOARD, e.t.c.. Just like in business, the only successful Educational institutions in Nigeria are all privately run. NO SURPRISES. So if we need progress in the Educational system, we need to privatise all our Federal Univeristies and even state Universities.. Or make them autonomous.. Let them charge their own fees and determine their own salary structure. Saves us the problem of ASUU strike. However, the power of NANS should be preserved and fine tuned in a way.

3. MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS!!!! Ghen! Ghen!!!! SO the government through the ministry of education can set up a scholarship fund system based on merit. If your CGPA|CWA drops below a certain benchmark, you get a certain percent of your tuition in scholarship. It can be graded upwards to accomodate average - top class students. If you are below average, you either buckle up or make your daddy get a good paying job to pay for your tuition. #Period!

I believe that this will bring about a serious turn around in our education system, eliminate all these half baked graduates that only went to school because it was free|cheap and poorly run..

#Thats all..

Thats why many Abokis no dey even bother to go school... grin
[/b]
If the consequences of Government's nonchalance towards education weren't already so disastrous for our young people, and if the decay in our universities didn't hold such potentially catastrophic implications for the future of the nation, I would have ignored your comments as the rantings of a severely obtuse and pathetically ignorant village yokel. But since your reasoning seems so deceptively logical and since I would not want to allow visitors to this forum to go away with such erroneous views about the ASUU struggle, I would like to state the following:

a) The Federal Government has failed to implement an agreement that it voluntarily signed in 2009, an agreement that would have gone a long way to ensure that Nigerian universities are no longer the laughing stock of the academic world.

b) An assessment team set up by the FG discovered that due to lack of toilet facilities, students living in many university hostels now use a system jokingly called "shot put" to defecate. They excrete into nylon bags and throw them anywhere they can! The team also observed that most laboratories lacked such basic equipment as pipettes, bunsen burners, and even the cheapest reagents. In the alternative, lecturers used straws, kerosine stoves, and pretty much anything else they could find.

c) Every public university in Nigeria - and I repeat, EVERY public university in Nigeria - admits more students than it has lecturers to handle. In other words, no university is allowed to operate within its admission quota or carriage capacity as set by the National Universities Commission and recognised by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board. The pressure to admit more students usually comes from high-ranking politicians and other eminent people in society who send in all manner of spurious admissions requests that must be honoured. As a result, lecturers are compelled to teach and examine bloated classes, for which the FG admitted that lecturers deserve, but are not paid, due excess workload allowances. One of the aims of the 2009 agreement was to address this anomaly.

d) To argue, therefore, that lecturers are greedy because they have asked the FG to honour its own agreement is to insult the intelligence of Nigerians and to impugn the intergrity of the many conscientious and brilliant scholars who work in the Nigerian university system. That is not to say that there are no bad eggs among them. But shall we jettison university education in Nigeria because some lecturers are corrupt? Should we close down all the government hospitals in Nigeria because some doctors are unscrupulous?

e) Finally, are you really serious in suggesting that only the rich should aspire for university education? If so, you are not only ignorant, as I assumed; you are also a narcissist.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by arctoni: 11:26pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mr Aboki: [b]I'm very much in support of Universities charging a justifiable tuition fee..

YEAH!!! I know say people dey suffer for country .. BUT! I was raised to understand that Education is not only expensive but also

Okay! I know say some people don set to curse this shoe-shining Aboki.. grin Please heres my Logic;

1. A University is an expensive venture to run and operate. Go ask MIT and Harvard how much it costs them to maintain their high standards. #In Pidgin:: Better soup and money have alot in common..

2. The Nigerian government obviously lacks the ability to run anything not even a race.. Look at all their failed ventures like: NITEL, NEPA, PHCN, WATER BOARD, e.t.c.. Just like in business, the only successful Educational institutions in Nigeria are all privately run. NO SURPRISES. So if we need progress in the Educational system, we need to privatise all our Federal Univeristies and even state Universities.. Or make them autonomous.. Let them charge their own fees and determine their own salary structure. Saves us the problem of ASUU strike. However, the power of NANS should be preserved and fine tuned in a way.

3. MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS!!!! Ghen! Ghen!!!! SO the government through the ministry of education can set up a scholarship fund system based on merit. If your CGPA|CWA drops below a certain benchmark, you get a certain percent of your tuition in scholarship. It can be graded upwards to accomodate average - top class students. If you are below average, you either buckle up or make your daddy get a good paying job to pay for your tuition. #Period!

I believe that this will bring about a serious turn around in our education system, eliminate all these half baked graduates that only went to school because it was free|cheap and poorly run..

#Thats all..

Thats why many Abokis no dey even bother to go school... grin
[/b]

Aboki.,ur fada....u tink say if dem privatiz skul 89% of students wy dy skul go stil dy?
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by NwekeGodwin: 11:34pm On Sep 11, 2013
so ASSU strikes is students will suffer for it; is it what Ebony state chairman mean; is students will provide the money for infersturacture or what ever they are fighting for
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by biomedixexcel(m): 11:59pm On Sep 11, 2013
Mr Aboki:

Hahahahahahaa..

Shege danbanza!! angry
I am very happy because you put me in the wrong class and all your curses went the wrong way but believe me that revolution is about to commence and I wouldn't be surprised if your so called rich family is one of the atonement for this country.
I need to sleep mi o raye iranu o jee...... I get work tomorrow
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by omoalayo(m): 12:19am On Sep 12, 2013
Memyselfu2009: We are doomed in this country
you and Who??

1 Like

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Trypant(f): 12:52am On Sep 12, 2013
Hell NO! Capital NO! Ebonyi state university increased their school fees last year lyk that of a private university which most students esp. Ebonyians dropping out of school. Currently, from 200L and 100L and those still to be admitted are paying 87,000(native) frm 100 2 400L thats in Social Sciences and Education,Arts,mgt,agric.and some other faculties. And 127,000 for Non native frm 100L 2 400L! And they r still talking abt increament? 2 300,000 for a glorified secondary school lyk our Nigerian universities? We are in hell!
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by blessed4ever: 5:12am On Sep 12, 2013
The Lord's Chosen Charismatic Revival Movement presents a two-day power-packed international Youth and Campus program, titled,'THAT WE MIGHT BE BLESSED',in Lagos,Nigeria, at the Lord's Chosen International HQ, Ijesha (stop at Ijesha Bus stop) this week Friday and Saturday, 13th & 14th September, 2013. Time: 8.00 am daily.

The General Overseer, Pastor Lazarus Muoka will be ministering in the power of the Holy Spirit.

The Lame will walk, the deaf will hear, the dumb will speak, the blind will see, yoke of barrenness or delay in marriage will break,yoke of sin will break,HIV will be healed...all sicknesses will receive technical knockout, yoke of academic failure or mediocrity will break, failure in business will be forgotten...you will be delivered from evil spirit attack upon your life, family, finanace, career, academics etc. The God of the Chosen (the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob) will visit you. Come all and be blessed.
Jesus is Lord!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by Nobody: 5:14am On Sep 12, 2013
Some opportuned phools spits trash! To be poor na crime? Mtcheww!
Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by MrAboki: 5:54am On Sep 12, 2013
McLuhan:
If the consequences of Government's nonchalance towards education weren't already so disastrous for our young people, and if the decay in our universities didn't hold such potentially catastrophic implications for the future of the nation, I would have ignored your comments as the rantings of a severely obtuse and pathetically ignorant village yokel. But since your reasoning seems so deceptively logical and since I would not want to allow visitors to this forum to go away with such erroneous views about the ASUU struggle, I would like to state the following:

a) The Federal Government has failed to implement an agreement that it voluntarily signed in 2009, an agreement that would have gone a long way to ensure that Nigerian universities are no longer the laughing stock of the academic world.

b) An assessment team set up by the FG discovered that due to lack of toilet facilities, students living in many university hostels now use a system jokingly called "shot put" to defecate. They excrete into nylon bags and throw them anywhere they can! The team also observed that most laboratories lacked such basic equipment as pipettes, bunsen burners, and even the cheapest reagents. In the alternative, lecturers used straws, kerosine stoves, and pretty much anything else they could find.

c) Every public university in Nigeria - and I repeat, EVERY public university in Nigeria - admits more students than it has lecturers to handle. In other words, no university is allowed to operate within its admission quota or carriage capacity as set by the National Universities Commission and recognised by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board. The pressure to admit more students usually comes from high-ranking politicians and other eminent people in society who send in all manner of spurious admissions requests that must be honoured. As a result, lecturers are compelled to teach and examine bloated classes, for which the FG admitted that lecturers deserve, but are not paid, due excess workload allowances. One of the aims of the 2009 agreement was to address this anomaly.

d) To argue, therefore, that lecturers are greedy because they have asked the FG to honour its own agreement is to insult the intelligence of Nigerians and to impugn the intergrity of the many conscientious and brilliant scholars who work in the Nigerian university system. That is not to say that there are no bad eggs among them. But shall we jettison university education in Nigeria because some lecturers are corrupt? Should we close down all the government hospitals in Nigeria because some doctors are unscrupulous?

e) Finally, are you really serious in suggesting that only the rich should aspire for university education? If so, you are not only ignorant, as I assumed; you are also a narcissist.

I'm going to start from the bottom to the top

E. I never said that only the rich should aspire for education.. Please remove that from your mind. I simply said that education is expensive. Univeristies require alot of funds to run. So rather than reduce the standards of a University and throw it open for all like we are almost currently doing in Nigeria, let the Universities be autonomous and charge justificable fees. Then all the Universities and the Governments can set up scholarship schemes and programmes for kids whose parents cant afford the send them to the Univeristy.

However, I put a clause:: The scholarships should be based on merit and prorated to a students CGPA|CWA. So, a student with a CWA of 80, gets 100% of his scholarship and should he drop, then the percentage of his sponsorship drops. This will serve as a motivation to the students, also make the parents put pressure on their children to perform well in school, the University still gets paid its tuition fees so they can run effectively and in the end... EVERYBODY WINS.

Now if you have wealthy parents who can pay your tuition no matter the cost, then you are at liberty to slack off in school and maintain low scores as your tuition fees are not based on any performance scholarship.

Thats all I meant..

D. I never said that lecturers are greedy. Didnt even allude to it. In fact, I honestly feel that lecturers deserve to be paid more than they are currently earning. So let me tie-in my point to yours;

Now lets say Obafemi Awolowo Univeristy pays its lecturers the highest in the country and also gives them good welfare packages. What do you think the trickle down effect would be?! Heres a clue, The lecturers would be very happy and have some job satisfaction thus reflecting on their performance. Things like Lecturers 'runsing' admission rackets, selling of Handouts sometimes in exchange for grades sef would reduce, lacadesical behavior of lecturers to their jobs would cease as they no longer have ASUU umbrella to give them blanket protection from gettin fired, e.t.c.. Now Students as well would also start to see changes in the attitude of lecturers towards them causing them to sit up, their hostels and other amenities on campus would be in working condition as the University knows that their earnings are dependent on how well the school is rated, e.t.c.. EVERYBODY WINS.. Better funding for University = Better Pay for lecturers = Better quality of education for Students.

So NO! I never called ASUU greedy..

C. Every public University in Nigeria is struggling to keep head above water. Lets look at IMO STATE UNIVERSITY as an example.. Rochas has declared Free education for all IMO STATE INDEGENES, which is fine on paper and billboards, but has anybody asked how IMSU is able to cater to this influx of non-paying students when the government still does not do more than pay the salaries of the Lecturers?! How is IMSU able to maintain all their laboratories, fund university researches, buy office stationaries, handle security, maintain the student hostels, replace classroom furnitures, keep university vehicles running, keep their environments clean and tidy, e.t.c... ? So the Univeristy is forced to take in students that dont pay a dime, then are forced to reduce their entry qualifications so as to accept even those that dont qualify to enter the university, in the case of the state universities sef, they have to admit on a quota system.. So now they have more students than their facilities can accomodate, these students dont pay anything reasonable enough to keep the university going, nobody is making up their fees to the university, yet everyone expects them to deliver quality education in the end.. No na.. Its impossible.

Heres a thread showing Pictures of Alvan Ikoku College of Education & IMO State Univeristy.. https://www.nairaland.com/1129089/okija-presents-owerri-pictures

B. Yes! So the FG's assessment team reported something that everybody has known for ages. Did the FG act on the report or their findings?! NO! Thats typical FG for you. They know of a problem, they pay people to go find out what this problem that they already know is, then end up doing nothing. Thats why I'm saying grant universities autonomy. Let them charge their own fees and run their own school. All this government seems to know how to do well is destroy.

A. Well... I'm not arguing the reason for ASUU striking. Everybody has a reason for doing whatevers.. All I am soliciting now is a way foward. We all saw how the telecoms industry went from NITEL to what it is today.. Lets try a new strategy in our education system as that which we have here is obviously not working. So if the FG meets their demands today, how long would it be before todays negotiations becomes old news?!

[b]Finally.. The idea here was to make us understand that our educational system needs to be propped up from the pit that it currently is in. Look around and see the number of 'abominable Graduates' we have roaming the streets. Some graduates cant even speak good and proper english. In secondary school I attended a Univeristy demonstration secondary school, university students use to come to school to bribe lecturers children to either leak exam questions, switch their answer sheets or change their scores outrightly. Maybe if they had some value for thier education, they would sit up. You either pay in cash or pay with your brains.

Look at Ghana... Why cant we learn from them? Their Univeristies have made international students into a business product. They offer them special hostels, special treatment in some cases but the exact same education. A ghanaian student that fails gets booted out of school instantly cos the government is subsidizing their tuition to a very large extent and thus dont give room for slacking.

I was only making a light hearted joke earlier, but the point remains valid.. Free Education in Nigeria, coupled with poor funding of the universities and tribalism has killed education in Nigeria.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: ASUU Foresees Increase In Fees, If Demands Not Met by danbdavid: 6:59am On Sep 12, 2013
If dey knw dat wz d way y wasting d students' time in d first place, right nw if felt cheated twice, I stay at home 4 a very long time and resuming wt increament. One day power go change hand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Releases Post Ume Result. / About Your Primary Or Secondary School In Nigeria / Ceiling Fan Falls During A Lecture At UNILAG Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.