Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,279 members, 7,780,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:20 PM

Amnesia: Memory Loss - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Amnesia: Memory Loss (858 Views)

Am I Suffering From Acute Memory Loss Or Forgetfulness? / Johesu’s Claims Against Doctors In Nigeria; A Case Of Historic Amnesia / Disturbed Amnesia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Amnesia: Memory Loss by learsino(m): 1:07pm On Sep 12, 2013
Amnesia, is a neurogenerative disease and its common symptom is memory loss. Diagnosis of amnesia may involve a range of blood tests and scans but its treatment does not require hospitalization. Prognosis of amnesia depends on the underlying cause.

Amnesia, in ordinary terms, means profound memory loss.

It can be caused by a physical injury inflicted on the brain, by brain damage caused by a traumatic or an emotional experience or by an infection.

In many cases, amnesia is associated with neurodegenerative diseases in which the primary symptom is memory loss. In most cases the amnesiacs are quite aware of their memory loss problem.

There are several types of amnesia, the main symptoms include an inability to recall old memories or an inability to remember new ones.

Diagnosis ranges from physical examination and blood tests to MRI brain scans. The treatment for amnesia depends on the cause but in the vast majority of cases hospitalization is generally not required.

The prognosis of this condition varies with the underlying cause, for instance, curbing alcohol intake in a person can revive his memory in a very short period, if that is the original cause of his memory loss.

Amnesia

However, in case of severe brain injury, without permanent damage, it may take up to months or even years, before the person recovers. In some unfortunate cases amnesia is life long as it never goes away.

Brain researchers have always sought the help of amnesiacs to determine the memory-processing function of the brain. Contrary to what was believed earlier that memory is a single entity, recent research reveals that the brain has multiple systems for storing, processing and drawing on one’s memory.

The most important factors causing amnesia are --
Alcohol/malnutrition -In Wernicke- Korsakoff syndrome, the memory centers of the brain are damaged due to excessive use of alcohol, or malnutrition, depriving the brain cells of vital nutrients.
Infections - Encephalitis and herpes induce brain tissue damage that could result in amnesia.
Psychological – Amnesia can be caused by psychological factors when it is referred to as psychogenic.
Injury- Amnesia is most commonly associated with brain damage through injury caused by an accident, fall or a blow to the head.
Age -Degeneration of brain cells in dementia is another major cause for amnesia. As in physical injury, the brain cells that are damaged in a dementia patient cannot be replaced.
Stroke – Memory loss can be brought about by stroke which results in impairment of brain cells in regions associated with memory loss.
SYMPTOMS:
Disoriented / Confused
Difficulty recalling previously learned information
Difficulty learning new things
De personalization
In certain types of amnesia symptoms include headache, dizziness or nausea.
These symptoms cause problems for the amnesiacs, be it at school, work or in the society. In some cases the symptoms are severe enough to warrant supervised living.
TREATMENT AND PREVENTION:
Treatment of amnesia depends on its fundamental cause. However, all amnesiacs need to undergo cognitive rehabilitation to deal with memory impairment. Hospitalization is usually not required.
Alzheimer’s disease/ Dementia- related amnesia will benefit from appropriate medication and tender care
A person who has developed amnesia due to trauma is likely to benefit from sedation, psychotherapy, medications that include Amytal (sodium amobarbital) and, lots of affection.
Alcoholism / malnutrition - related amnesia can be addressed by abstinence in the case of former and proper nutrition in the event of the latter.
Concussion –related amnesia needs medication and rest
Transient Global Amnesia (TGA)can be managed by avoiding the triggering activity. Some doctors recommend the use of aspirin to increase blood flow. This is based on some claims that a reduced blood flow causes memory loss.
Prevention of amnesia is not possible in all the cases; however, amnesia caused by a brain injury can be minimized by wearing a helmet, using automobile seat belts, and avoiding drunken driving. In case of brain infections, strokes, brain aneurysms, or transient ischemic attacks the patient must be given immediate medical attention.
source: http://pharmradiong..com

1 Like

Re: Amnesia: Memory Loss by victovrry(m): 2:33pm On Sep 14, 2013
Thanks for this article, I've been seaching for a way to solve my memory loss for years, it also not allow me to remember I want to cure it, is there any final solution for this please ? But I noticed if I took alcohol I do act fast an remember some things.. This is confusing

(1) (Reply)

Soakaway Treatment / Many Nigerians Have Hygiene Issues. / What You Should Know About Ebola Virus Disease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.