Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,957 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:56 PM

Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player (21761 Views)

Alex Iwobi Shares Photo Of His Family (Photo) / [future Talent] Why Alex Iwobi(okocha's Nephew) Is Special / Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by KejiOJ(m): 2:40pm On Sep 12, 2013

When a promising young player is learning the game, the most valuable advice will often come from an experienced team-mate, a coach or someone who has been there and done it all. Not many, though, can boast a direct line to one of Nigeria’s most celebrated sons, Jay-Jay Okocha.

Alex Iwobi is in a privileged position. The nephew of the two-time African Footballer of the Year has always been able to turn to the man ‘so good they named him twice’ for help in his nascent career. Okocha was renowned for his lightning-fast stepovers and immaculate technique, and he has passed on all he knows to the 17-year-old.
He was always giving me advice on how to play, and just last week he told me to try to express myself when I’m on the pitch
Alex Iwobi

Iwobi has always tried to learn from his famous uncle, whether that is talking on the phone or getting a more hands-on demonstration at family gatherings. And judging by his encouraging start to the new season, Iwobi is learning fast.

wobi has always tried to learn from his famous uncle, whether that is talking on the phone or getting a more hands-on demonstration at family gatherings. And judging by his encouraging start to the new season, Iwobi is learning fast.

“I played a lot with him when I was young and he taught me a lot of skills,” the versatile forward told Arsenal.com.

“When he was playing for Bolton I used to play with him in his back garden. I also used to go and watch him when he was at Bolton and a little bit when he was at Hull.

“He was always giving me advice on how to play, and just last week he told me to try to express myself when I’m on the pitch.”

Iwobi has obviously taken that advice to heart. So far this term he has caught the eye with some energetic displays and opened his account on Saturday as the under-18s were beaten by Manchester United.

He is relishing the prospect of playing on a bigger stage - and that starts on Thursday night as the under-21s take on West Brom at Emirates Stadium. It is a chance that Iwobi is determined not to pass up, having seen close friend Chuba Akpom make a name for himself on tour with the first team during the summer.

http://www.arsenal.com/match/report/1314/pre/reserves/under-21s-arsenal-v-west-brom-preview
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 12, 2013
Okocha was never African Footballer of the Year.

24 Likes

Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by mobo2(f): 3:38pm On Sep 12, 2013
OK NOW
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 12, 2013
Yeah right
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 12, 2013
kITA TITA: Okocha was never African Footballer of the Year.

BBC's African Footballer of the Year. grin grin grin

12 Likes

Less than a comment and it's already on front page? grin
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by Tapout(m): 3:41pm On Sep 12, 2013
undecided
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by ashile(m): 3:42pm On Sep 12, 2013
Okocha african footballer of the year.

Op check ur facts

Good one for the lad and under a great club

All I can say is all the best
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by Brimmie(m): 3:43pm On Sep 12, 2013
[size=16]Alex.. Am Proud Of U Son! cheesy cheesy[/size]
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by W3xy1(m): 3:43pm On Sep 12, 2013
ok
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by donfemzy: 3:45pm On Sep 12, 2013
And how does this ends ASUU strike?

1 Like

Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by herbeytv(m): 3:45pm On Sep 12, 2013
Does that make him Okocha ?
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by sureteeboy(m): 3:45pm On Sep 12, 2013
Why is the guy not playing for his country?

1 Like

Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by AboveSOSO: 3:45pm On Sep 12, 2013
Oya!.. Lets start
so, he waz what?
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by Ayosky19(m): 3:47pm On Sep 12, 2013
cry
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by ednut1(m): 3:47pm On Sep 12, 2013
So what shud we do nw
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 12, 2013
Awesome
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by agrovick(m): 3:49pm On Sep 12, 2013
I hope he breaks into the first team
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by toprealman: 3:52pm On Sep 12, 2013
True. He won the BBC footballer of the year twice....another attempt by the british media to colonise africa.
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by highmood(m): 3:52pm On Sep 12, 2013
Nice one. I wish you well and I hope you shine brighter than what you are.
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by mumumugu(m): 3:53pm On Sep 12, 2013
That guy is 28yr old
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by dridowu: 3:54pm On Sep 12, 2013
Good Afternoon Nigerians
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by zuma4k(m): 3:55pm On Sep 12, 2013
Two times African Footballer of the Year?
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by Nnamdig2(m): 3:56pm On Sep 12, 2013
thanks 4 info but it means nothing. 20th to comment.
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by shadrama(m): 3:56pm On Sep 12, 2013
............Me MB dn pinish sad............Me MB dn pinish
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by slap1(m): 3:56pm On Sep 12, 2013
#COYG
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by tenovaten(m): 3:59pm On Sep 12, 2013
sureteeboy: Why is the guy not playing for his country?
I'll give him a call up when he starts playing for the first team!!!
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by jayblinx(m): 3:59pm On Sep 12, 2013
dats the relation...by blood...ride on boy
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by yahrant140(m): 4:01pm On Sep 12, 2013
Young man dön't be a failure like your brother(okocha) a.ka king but uncrowned!

1 Like

Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by dotcomnamename: 4:03pm On Sep 12, 2013

Okocha deserves World Best Footballer Of The Year BUT the half dead white people feeling important ridiculed him out of bias.

We're happy the way he retired!

Austine JJ Okocha

RESPECT

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by Nairalane: 4:03pm On Sep 12, 2013
Being a nephew does not mean he will be like Okocha or even come closer. He may be as good as a ball boy. Either way, hope to see him play for Nigeria one. Moreover, what concerns us with this? When We are on strike.
Re: Alex Iwobi, Okocha's Nephew Is An Arsenal Player by Nobody: 4:03pm On Sep 12, 2013
This post has been hidden. Unhide

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ambode, Dalung Inspect Facilities At National Stadium, Surulere / Spain Demolish Germany 6 - 0 In UEFA Nation's League / Leo Messi Won The Ballon D’or Over Erling Haaland By 105 Points.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.