Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,501 members, 7,808,848 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:53 PM

Archicad Vs Autocad - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Archicad Vs Autocad (7435 Views)

Archicad And Revit Which Is Better? / Archicad Users Forum / In Need Of Archicad Tutorials On Roof (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Archicad Vs Autocad by Idrismusty97(m): 6:41pm On Sep 12, 2013
Hello graphics expert,
I am into architecture and i am confuse on which software to learn.Can any1 tell me the advantages of autocad over archicad or vice versar.And again what kind of laptop do i need to enjoy these 3D software.I am thinking of a laptop not exceeding 60k.Thanks.
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by ogtavia(m): 2:19am On Sep 13, 2013
You will need both softwares..even though Archicad is way more complex and versatile than Autocad..I use both softwares..for your 3ds..Autocad versions up till 2012 produce 2d drawings however there are autodesk (autocad developers) softwares that produce 3d drawings as well which are Revit Architecture and Autocad Architecture this is nt to say the normal autocad software doesnt produce 3d drawings it does..but you cant compare its 3ds to any of these softwares i have mentioned in terms of details and finishes...so I'll advise you to learn both autocad and archicad and any other software u might need....concerning the laptop..well in graphics production as regards architectural work..you need a highend desktop computer or laptop to do this...so why not increase ur budget from 60K to atleast 90 or 95k..if you want to break the bank for a very high spec pc budget around 200k if u or ur sponsor can afford..but in spec..dont go below at least a 4gb ram core 2 duo,quad core or core i3 pc..with 320gb HDD @ least with Nvidia graphics card with 2.30 Ghz processor...at least..all d best.

2 Likes

Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by reidkrugger(m): 5:52am On Sep 13, 2013
@Ogtavia, nicely said. Only that Autocad is a lot more powerful than described and complex when it comes to detailing and accurate as well. If U in d 2d space with tangencies as issues, autocad just goes tru. Say U drawin a bulb, hammer head or spoon in 2d... Autocad hands down. But if its quick presentable 3d structures then revit would b nice. Didn't play with Archicad that mch. But in all, Ur technical drawing skills gives d edge, not rlly d software. If U gud wit TD, everythin comes easy, that is afta knowin d softwware ofcuz. And yeah any of em can do wtever.
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by Idrismusty97(m): 4:21pm On Sep 13, 2013
ogtavia: You will need both softwares..even though Archicad is way more complex and versatile than Autocad..I use both softwares..for your 3ds..Autocad versions up till 2012 produce 2d drawings however there are autodesk (autocad developers) softwares that produce 3d drawings as well which are Revit Architecture and Autocad Architecture this is nt to say the normal autocad software doesnt produce 3d drawings it does..but you cant compare its 3ds to any of these softwares i have mentioned in terms of details and finishes...so I'll advise you to learn both autocad and archicad and any other software u might need....concerning the laptop..well in graphics production as regards architectural work..you need a highend desktop computer or laptop to do this...so why not increase ur budget from 60K to atleast 90 or 95k..if you want to break the bank for a very high spec pc budget around 200k if u or ur sponsor can afford..but in spec..dont go below at least a 4gb ram core 2 duo,quad core or core i3 pc..with 320gb HDD @ least with Nvidia graphics card with 2.30 Ghz processor...at least..all d best.
Thanks alot.i really appreciate your reply.Plz wich should be more advisable to learn 1st?.I mean the one that will make you easily learn a new software.Thanks once more
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by Idrismusty97(m): 4:25pm On Sep 13, 2013
reidkrugger: @Ogtavia, nicely said. Only that Autocad is a lot more powerful than described and complex when it comes to detailing and accurate as well. If U in d 2d space with tangencies as issues, autocad just goes tru. Say U drawin a bulb, hammer head or spoon in 2d... Autocad hands down. But if its quick presentable 3d structures then revit would b nice. Didn't play with Archicad that mch. But in all, Ur technical drawing skills gives d edge, not rlly d software. If U gud wit TD, everythin comes easy, that is afta knowin d softwware ofcuz. And yeah any of em can do wtever.
Thanks reid.I am deeply into architecture for now.I really need advice concerning this two softwares in relation to architecture.
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by jjk24(m): 10:13pm On Sep 13, 2013
Idrismusty97: Thanks reid.I am deeply into architecture for now.I really need advice concerning this two softwares in relation to architecture.
try sketchup ulll l0ve it I tink !. Its free n very easy 2 use.
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by Idrismusty97(m): 10:59pm On Sep 13, 2013
jjk24: try sketchup ulll l0ve it I tink !. Its free n very easy 2 use.
i have heard about sketchup.i never thought it would be that easy.Anyway i will check it out.cheers
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by ogtavia(m): 11:30pm On Sep 13, 2013
reidkrugger: @Ogtavia, nicely said. Only that Autocad is a lot more powerful than described and complex when it comes to detailing and accurate as well. If U in d 2d space with tangencies as issues, autocad just goes tru. Say U drawin a bulb, hammer head or spoon in 2d... Autocad hands down. But if its quick presentable 3d structures then revit would b nice. Didn't play with Archicad that mch. But in all, Ur technical drawing skills gives d edge, not rlly d software. If U gud wit TD, everythin comes easy, that is afta knowin d softwware ofcuz. And yeah any of em can do wtever.

guess I forget that part about details....autocad is quite straightforward,flexible and easy to ''manipulate'' when it comes to detailing....so far has all the basic tools for any conventional drawings and even complex technical drawings. ..but with this fact raises the need for the user to be painstaking in his design and not cut corners or provide inaccurate drawings and designs..this is one problem I have with autocad..some users tend to take its flexibility for granted and produce faulty designs...but all in all..autocad is a great software especially for 2d drawings...just like you said,its just like you drawing with ur t-square,pencil and other traditional drawing instruments

1 Like

Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by ogtavia(m): 11:32pm On Sep 13, 2013
Idrismusty97: Thanks alot.i really appreciate your reply.Plz wich should be more advisable to learn 1st?.I mean the one that will make you easily learn a new software.Thanks once more

go for autocad..btw if u are in school studying architecture,wat year are u in?...but have at the back of ur mind,dt d more softwares u know,the more versatile u are...so make up ur mind to learn as much as you can afford to learn within the limits of bein reasonable.
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by Idrismusty97(m): 11:56pm On Sep 13, 2013
ogtavia:

go for autocad..btw if u are in school studying architecture,wat year are u in?...but have at the back of ur mind,dt d more softwares u know,the more versatie u are...so make up ur mind to learn as much as you can afford to learn within the limits of bein reasonable.
I will do that.I am not yet studying architecture.I will be a draughtman for a while before i will start.I know architects who are proficient in CAD has the cutting edge over hand drawing architects.

1 Like

Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by ogtavia(m): 10:03am On Sep 14, 2013
Idrismusty97: I will do that.I am not yet studying architecture.I will be a draughtman for a while before i will start.I know architects who are proficient in CAD has the cutting edge over hand drawing architects.

so there are still hand drawing architects(draughtsmen) when CAD design is now the in-thing...thought everyone must have ''ported'' to CAD design,even schools of architecture are adopting CAD designs,private universities offering architecture even go the extra mile to make it compulsory..well,wish u all d best in ur endeavours..

1 Like

Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by Idrismusty97(m): 10:16am On Sep 14, 2013
ogtavia:

so there are still hand drawing architects(draughtsmen) when CAD design is now the in-thing...thought everyone must have ''ported'' to CAD design,even schools of architecture are adopting CAD designs,private universities offering architecture even go the extra mile to make it compulsory..well,wish u all d best in ur endeavours..
This dayz draughtsmen use CAD also.The only difference with architects is that they are not lincesed but with knowledge of TD they can still perform well.
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by jjk24(m): 2:05pm On Sep 14, 2013
Idrismusty97: i have heard about sketchup.i never thought it would be that easy.Anyway i will check it out.cheers
abi nah I l0ve am die jst. Sum hints- d extrude t00l is dah best t00l muah l0ve it u culd jst draw a simple rectangle 0r square pull it 0ut n bc0ms a cude draw a triangle pull it 0ut n it bc0ms yur r00f paint it u av a building n als0 use a deskt0p m0use .
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by Idrismusty97(m): 3:25pm On Sep 14, 2013
jjk24: abi nah I l0ve am die jst. Sum hints- d extrude t00l is dah best t00l muah l0ve it u culd jst draw a simple rectangle 0r square pull it 0ut n bc0ms a cude draw a triangle pull it 0ut n it bc0ms yur r00f paint it u av a building n als0 use a deskt0p m0use .
Wow.Does it have 2D layouting
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by DerrickM(m): 2:35pm On Jan 01, 2015
jjk24:
try sketchup ulll l0ve it I tink !. Its free n very easy 2 use.
@JJK24: SketchUp Pro is good for modelling alright but can not compete with Building Intelligent Modelling(BIM)apps such as Revit Architecture,ArchiCAD or Arcat when it comes to several revisions,data documentation and MEP all in one app...
Another error you made is just because cracks and activation codes with serial for any software package are readily available doesn't make it free in any way. Trying buying one in USD with the current exchange rate @N194 then you'll know how far*lol*
Best Regards...
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by DerrickM(m): 4:05pm On Jan 01, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Hello graphics expert,
I am into architecture and i am confuse on which software to learn.Can any1 tell me the advantages of autocad over archicad or vice versar.And again what kind of laptop do i need to enjoy these 3D software.I am thinking of a laptop not exceeding 60k.Thanks.
@IDRISMUSTY97: Like somebody said you really need to know both AutoCAD and ArchiCAD. It is because you need to be versatile to survive in today's Architecture,Engineering and Construction(AEC)Industry in Nigeria. I also recommend you know Revit Architecture better because it has now become the world standard and firms I knew that use ArchiCAD before have forced their studio architects to change on the spot or lose their jobs to those who know it. It depends on the firm you plan to work with eventually as an IT student or graduate architect.
I usually recommend Autodesk apps because of inter-relatively and design workflow for compatibility e.g. creating 2D working detail drawings in AutoCAD,3d model of the building in Revit Architecture, have the options to doing sketch presentations with shadows like SketchUp Pro would,shaded 3d renders or render a quick 3d final render using its MentalRay render engine gotten from 3dsmax(2009 and above while 2008 uses Accurender) and for photorealistic renders; the Revit model is imported into 3dsmax then rendered out using VRay and Maxwell Render(all these app files can be linked to each other and update automatically-expert tip)
Visit http://students.autodesk.com sign up for free to get authentic serials,product keys and 3year licenses from Autodesk,
Your budget for laptop should be 90k minimum for 6GB RAM expandable to 8GB,iCore3,750GB,1.9GHz CPU speed,Webcam,Bluetooth,USB ports,WiFi etc...recommended brands: Dell Alienware,Dell,Acer,Toshiba,Samsung,Lenovo,Sony and HP(least recommended). Very soon Hexacore(12 processors)pcs will be the order of the day over iCore7(8processors)with 16-32GB RAM etc 200k and above
best regards...

1 Like

Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by AbuMikey(m): 12:49am On Feb 26, 2015
Idrismusty97 do You have learning tutorials(e-book or Videos) of any of these Architectural Softwares?
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by Idrismusty97(m): 7:39am On Feb 26, 2015
AbuMikey:
Idrismusty97 do You have learning tutorials(e-book or Videos) of any of these Architectural Softwares?
Nope.
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by AbuMikey(m): 8:24am On Feb 26, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Nope.

Alright, thanks.
Re: Archicad Vs Autocad by dangoteinlaw: 12:27pm On Jul 10, 2022
I offer tutorial in AutoCAD, revit, staadpro, Prota structure, tekla structure.

Reach me via number on my signature.

(1) (Reply)

25 Weirdest Tattoos On Display. / What Should Be The Average Salary For A Graphics Designer / Photoshop retouching and manipulation by timmyedit(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.