Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,877 members, 7,802,821 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? (1640 Views)

When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? / Why Do Atheists Attack Mostly Christians? / Wat Do Atheists Believe In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by sheblayze(f): 10:57am On Sep 13, 2013
I rarely create threads but had to when I saw the thread where the Pope stated that Atheists will go to heaven even if they don't believe in God as far as they follow their conscience.

It was ironic seeing the reaction of atheists to the Pope's statement. They were overjoyed and kept on trying to prove that indeed the Pope was right.

I knew there was something fishy, but couldn't really point it out until I saw someone's post asking the question. DO ATHEISTS BELIEVE IN HEAVEN?

I do not know if the question was thrashed in that thread. However, we are all learning, the atheists here should please throw more light on the question. I opened this thread solely for this purpose.

Please let's deliberate on this and one more thing, no knowledge is lost.

1. Do atheists believe in heaven?

2. If yes, what would be your definition of heaven? Would it be the atypical Christian heaven with God as its Head?

3. If indeed the Pope is right, do you guys clamour for a Heaven headed by a God? You don't believe in HIM. Do you still wish to spend eternity with HIM?

4. To everyone here, do you think morality and christianity are one and the same thing?

The floor is open to all. Enlightened minds should please discuss.

1 Like

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by bilo1(m): 11:07am On Sep 13, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Nobody: 11:24am On Sep 13, 2013
she-blayze:

2. If yes, what would be your definition of heaven? Would it be the atypical Christian heaven with God as its Head?
Yes I do. I agree with @obadiah's definition of hell and heaven as conditions here on earth. If you're poor and suffering, you're in hell. If you're rich and balling, you're in heaven.
grin

she-blayze:

3. If indeed the Pope is right, do you guys clamour for a Heaven headed by a God? You don't believe in HIM. Do you still wish to spend eternity with HIM?
I personally believe the Pope is just desperate and pushing the lines of his religion. JESUS was quite clear on this: HE is the way, the truth and the life. Most Catholics would argue that following and obeying our conscience is what matters, but I disagree with them.

Let's consider PAUL. Prior to Paul's conversion, he was known for persecuting Christians. The Bible records that he was present at Stephen's stoning. He did all this believing that he was doing right according to his strict Pharisee upbringing.

Then Paul gets converted and he says.. "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on Him and receive eternal life." (1Timothy 1:15-16).

The bolded is the crux of Christianity: that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, and give them pardon.. and this good news must be accepted by those who hear.

Romans 3:
21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in[h] Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement,[i] through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

So I think the Pope is wrong on this, though I admire his efforts to preach tolerance for those of other faith.

she-blayze:

To everyone here, do you think morality and christianity are one and the same thing?
Morality and Christianity are not one and the same thing.. Christianity, and indeed all religions, offer differing concepts of morality, in my opinion..

4 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by MrTroll(m): 11:53am On Sep 13, 2013
Let's have some fun...

she-blayze:

No. Certainly not the type espoused by religion.

see answer 1.

he's wrong. The bible made it clear that believing in jesus is the only way to heaven. He's just playing a game...

4. To everyone here, do you think morality and christianity are one and the same thing?
Of course not. All through the ages, different societies have had their own sense of morality. Even now different religions have their own sense of morality. Christianity is just one of the many religions out there, although they like to feel special and claim theirs is a way of life and not a religion. Whatever that means...

let's see...

5 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Heathen(m): 12:26pm On Sep 13, 2013
I give no fawks about heaven.
Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 13, 2013
Heathen: I give no fawks about heaven.

Heeheeehee.. Imagine living forever with some dolts here...

2 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by UyiIredia(m): 1:26am On Sep 14, 2013
aManFromMars:

Heeheeehee.. Imagine living forever with some dolts here...

Oh shut up ! You wouldn't even wish for a couple of minutes waterboarding talkless of an eternal torture. Comfort with dolts makes more sense than eternal torture in a place where intellect is useless: but I don't know Martians for sense anyways.
Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Nobody: 5:34am On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Oh shut up ! You wouldn't even wish for a couple of minutes waterboarding talkless of an eternal torture. Comfort with dolts makes more sense than eternal torture in a place where intellect is useless: but I don't know Martians for sense anyways.

Intellect wouldn't be useless. satan always wins.
Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by RayMcBlue(m): 6:40am On Sep 14, 2013
There is no afterlife. If you die, that's it for you. Sayonara, like my Japanese mate like to say.

1 Like

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by MrTroll(m): 9:36am On Sep 14, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

undecided do you always long for a shouting match so much so that you would just spew trash in hopes that your wish may be granted?
Like seriously wetin you just talk now
Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by wolexy07(m): 6:33pm On Oct 23, 2013
Heathen: I give no fawks about heaven.
Your username says it all. undecided

1 Like

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by spacyzuma(m): 12:06pm On Mar 06, 2015
sheblayze:

1. No, I don't believe in heaven. I believe when we die, our bodies decompose and are recycled into nature. I don't believe in souls and spirits. You die. You're dead. You remain dead. Simple
2. N/A
3. The Pop has his beliefs. I have mine. Everyone has their own beliefs. Just because he said he believes atheist will go to heaven doesn't mean it's going to happen. I choose to see that statement as a networking gesture of peace and goodwill.
4. Morality and Christianity are DEFINITELY NOT the same thing. One doesn't need christianity (or religion, I believe) to develope morals. Millions (or billions) of people have lived full lives without christianity and have developed their own sense of morality.

I'm not a hardcore atheist. I'm Agnostic.

1 Like

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 06, 2015
sheblayze:
I rarely create threads but had to when I saw the thread where the Pope stated that Atheists will go to heaven even if they don't believe in God as far as they follow their conscience.

It was ironic seeing the reaction of atheists to the Pope's statement. They were overjoyed and kept on trying to prove that indeed the Pope was right.

I knew there was something fishy, but couldn't really point it out until I saw someone's post asking the question. DO ATHEISTS BELIEVE IN HEAVEN?

I do not know if the question was thrashed in that thread. However, we are all learning, the atheists here should please throw more light on the question. I opened this thread solely for this purpose.

By definition, no atheist does. Maybe the concept of an afterlife but 'heaven' is a Christian/Muslim concept.
I personally don't believe in either. Definitely not heaven but I'm open to the possibility of an afterlife(although I highly doubt it).

As for your 3rd question, I have the same stance with Stephen Fry on this. If you're not aware of what he said, it just sums up to God owing him an explanation for all the evil in the world and that he can't worship a being that lets such injustice and suffering happen.

Lastly, HELL NO! Morality and Christianity have little to do with each other. Most Christians can be quoted saying things like "a good deed not done in the name of the lord is evil" and the bible has been used to justify a lot of evil that I won't go into. Yes it has some good sides which luckily some* Christians cherry pick and fewer practice. Morality stems from empathy and utilitarianism. Both are independent of any religion.

2 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by johnydon22(m): 6:11pm On Mar 06, 2015
sheblayze:

Firstly heaven is a myth, the concept of heaven was first brought to being by ancient egyptians; The tribunal of osiris where they believed ur soul will be weighted against a feather, if its lighter than the feather then you make heaven if its heavier you dont..

Now for the question of atheist believing in heaven, how can someone who disbelieves the concept of deities or afterlife believe in heaven which also is a theistic afterlife idea.... We do not believe in heaven or hell

We believe that once you are dead, you are dead... not more. all the stories of heavens, hells and afterlife are just wishful thinking nothing more, and a device religion uses to keep the people bound in psychological loyalty.

sheblayze:

sheblayze:

We do not vainfully waste our time clamoring for another life when we have not finished living this life we are 100% sure of now.

The pope and other religious leaders should first reconcile their concepts of heaven. Like the islamic heaven is different from the christian concept.
Islam believes only way to make their heaven is through islam and christianity believes same for theirs, the pope just didnt want to sound judgemental.

sheblayze:

Morality is not christian, neither is it islamic. Morality is human, it belongs to no ism and does not depend for foundation upon the supernatural or upon any book (be it bible, koran, egyptian book of the dead, enuma elish) or creed. because morality itself is a foundation.

Our morality stems from our humanity and our empathy guides our morality...

[size=20] Morality is human[/size]
sheblayze:

Oook

2 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by pastorwilly(m): 8:11pm On Mar 06, 2015
HEY HEY STOP FEDING UR SELF WITH TYPE OF DOCTRINE.........IF U DONT GIVE UR TO JESUS AWAIT U ALL"ATHEISTS"
Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by pastorwilly(m): 8:14pm On Mar 06, 2015
HEY HEY STOP FEDING UR SELF WITH TYPE OF DOCTRINE.........IF U DONT GIVE UR LIFE TO JESUS HELLFIRE AWAIT U ALL"ATHEISTS"
Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Weah96: 8:20pm On Mar 06, 2015
pastorwilly:
HEY HEY STOP FEDING UR SELF WITH TYPE OF DOCTRINE.........IF U DONT GIVE UR LIFE TO JESUS HELLFIRE AWAIT U ALL"ATHEISTS"

Tell that to ISIS and BOKO. They will show you the person who needs salvation. Or do you only minister to atheists? HAHAHA.

3 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 06, 2015
Thanks for showing how Christianity, like any other religion, is rooted in fear
pastorwilly:

4 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Horus(m): 9:15pm On Mar 06, 2015
Where is located this "Heaven"?
Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by johnydon22(m): 9:19pm On Mar 06, 2015
pastorwilly:

The same way muslim hell awaits you for not believing in islam...

so see you in hell grin

7 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Blurpy: 8:17am On Aug 13, 2021
Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by 1000Capacity: 9:10am On Aug 13, 2021
What do you want to go and do in heaven. It's senseless living for ever

2 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:46pm On Aug 13, 2021
1000Capacity:
What do you want to go and do in heaven. It's senseless living for ever

As it is always the poor who know that they shall never prosper, who say "wetin person wan do with wealth, so also it is the one who now knows that God has thrown him away as rubbish to Die forever, who must say "It's senseless living for ever"! grin

Eternal Living is Always for the Living, not the Dead or the "To be deads". grin
Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Edisa(m): 10:12am On Nov 05, 2022
@sheblayze
Hi, I have been following ur diary for quite some time and you did mention that u are a pharmacist. pls my friend has been suffering from diarrhea for the past two months. He has gone for test, at first they said it was food poisoning, then typhoid and H. Pylori. He has taken medication but no improvement. Can u recommend any drug?
Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by sheblayze(f): 12:19pm On Nov 05, 2022
Edisa:
@sheblayze
Hi, I have been following ur diary for quite some time and you did mention that u are a pharmacist. pls my friend has been suffering from diarrhea for the past two months. He has gone for test, at first they said it was food poisoning, then typhoid and H. Pylori. He has taken medication but no improvement. Can u recommend any drug?

Hi, so sorry about your friend.

Send me a mail on phoenixblaze91@yahoo.com
Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:16pm On Nov 05, 2022
I am Maximus one of Jehovah's Witnesses, would you mind if i join the thread to chat with you?

1 Like

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Maynnmaan: 2:49pm On Nov 05, 2022
It’s a shame theist.

Re: Do Atheists Believe In Heaven? by Maynnmaan: 2:51pm On Nov 05, 2022
sheblayze:

Theist, do you believe in muslim heaven?
If no, which of the heavens should an atheist believe in, yours or muslims or the hundreds of other religions with their own heaven.
Please answer theist.

(1) (Reply)

God And Angelin Photograph Of Clouds Over Cape Coral, Florida / Reasons Why They Apostatized:ex-muslims Speak Out / A Lamp In The Dark (Full Documentary of the "untold" history of the Bible)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.