Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,855 members, 7,798,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? - Literature (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? (125419 Views)

What Books Are You Reading At The Moment-share It With Us / Love Reading, Right? Well, Check This Site Out! / What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by XKZ(m): 7:04pm On Nov 10, 2018
Femiblack05:
Have you ever searched for a book here in Nigeria And never found it?

Hi smiley
Yes I have; "Murders most Macabre" by Henry Slesar
Do you have the ebook?
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Femiblacky(m): 2:11pm On Nov 11, 2018
XKZ:

Hi smiley
Yes I have; "Murders most Macabre" by Henry Slesar
Do you have the ebook?

Sorry not presently available
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 4:01pm On Nov 11, 2018
I just finished Sefi Atta’s A Bit of Difference. Phew.

It’s a nice book, a relatable story. She writes good literary fiction. However, I was curious as to why she became so popular...until I figured out her relationship with another famous Nigerian.

Anyway, back to the book, I found it hard getting into the book in the beginning. It was a little tedious and the chapters are so long - comparably. Lolz.

However, when I started reading the second chapter, I have already settled in nicely with the story and the characters so for some reason I wouldn’t be quick to admit, I had begun to anticipate what would happen next.

The ending isn’t perfect but good. The author wrapped up the story well enough, and left enough open to interpretation for us to be engaged. I also didn’t have so much problems with the author getting a tad preachy with the whole homegoing bit, meh!

Lolz.

Again, I don’t know what I’m reading next. I’ll likely pick it at random. Maybe it’s time I go back to nonfiction?
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by calliope(f): 7:02pm On Nov 11, 2018
I just wrote a long epistle reviewing this book and it wiped off. I can't go through the stress again.. But one thing is for sure, this is one of the most illuminating book I have come across this year. I have never seen a book with so much expletives yet carries a profound loads of messages..

Manson tackles life issues from a whole different perspective, and to be honest I could identify so easily with the narratives., they were so real, yet striking. Twas a great read, one that has opened up a lot better channel as to what you should really give a fu*k about

I am going to be devouring Templar books next, starting with the rules of work; then rules of life. This month, I'd be reading a lot of nonfiction, lemme take a break from fiction, and explore other genres.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 9:30pm On Nov 11, 2018
calliope:
I just wrote a long epistle reviewing this book and it wiped off. I can't go through the stress again.. But one thing is for sure, this is one of the most illuminating book I have come across this year. I have never seen a book with so much expletives yet carries a profound loads of messages..

Manson tackles life issues from a whole different perspective, and to be honest I could identify so easily with the narratives., they were so real, yet striking. Twas a great read, one that has opened up a lot better channel as to what you should really give a fu*k about

I am going to be devouring Templar books next, starting with the rules of work; then rules of life. This month, I'd be reading a lot of nonfiction, lemme take a break from fiction, and explore other genres.

Hear! Hear!!

I read the book for the first time like eight months ago, I’ve read it twice again since then. The book contains insights that I think everyone of us knows on some basic level but have been trained to overlook.

This book will be a hard pill for most Nigerians to swallow sha, what with our genetic need to not mind our business. Lol.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Memunah(f): 2:40pm On Nov 12, 2018
Starting Season of Crimson Blossom by Abubakar
Adam Ibrahim today
I hope its makes sense.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by AdorableJosh(m): 9:54pm On Nov 13, 2018
Currently reading A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James, page 320, my God, it's a beautiful work of art. Granted, it's a little bit complex but stick with it and you won't regret it.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Femiblack05: 5:55am On Nov 14, 2018
Illuminatus:

Yuval tends to sound very excited, and that’s part of the reason why I love reading his works.

I think he comes off as if he’s anticipating such a rebellion because he is convinced that it is already happening, and doesn’t have a stance against the movement.

It’s almost like listening to Adichie talk about feminism. Lol
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Femiblack05: 5:56am On Nov 14, 2018
Femiblack05:
Have you ever searched for a book here in Nigeria And never found it?
Have you ever wished you could order from online bookstores like Amazon, Kindle and co and get it delivered to your doorstep?
Ever wanted a book so bad , that not having it gave you sleepless nights?
Well look no further , I am here!! Post your dream books on this thread or contact us and get it delivered.
ORDER ANY BOOK IN THE WORLD ON THIS THREAD AND GET IT!!
PRICE : The price range starts #300 as educational books are more expensive but Each novel PDF goes for #300 if you buying one and #200 for a minimum of 10 order for 10 books !!!
LEADERS are always READERS.
You can now convert your mobile phones/tablets to a MOBILE LEARNING CENTRE.
You can receive ANY BOOK by ANY AUTHOR in ANY FIELD of LEARNING/LIFE in e-format into your mobile device in minutes ANYWHERE YOU ARE IN THE WORLD from our ONLINE BOOKSTORE.
A OUR RICH STOCK offers you e-books by ANY AUTHOR you think of in the following categories.
➡Education( Early years to Tertiary)
➡Marriage/Relationship
➡Motivational
➡Finance
➡Politics
➡Health
➡Dressmaking& Photography
➡Business & Management
➡Sales & Marketing
➡Customer Service/Relations
➡Parenting
➡Engineering
➡Accounting
➡Baking/Confectionery
➡Public Speaking
➡Creative Writing
➡Novels etc
➡ We mean ANYTHING!
All your ordered ebooks will be sent directly into your Phones/Tablets in minutes ANYWHERE you are in the World.
WHAT DOES IT COST ME?
The good news is that your first ordered book is FREE and any other costs from #300 per book ( payment thru bank transfer).
Connect with us on whatsapp with 08106039998 or Call 08078440686
TRY US TODAY AND YOU WILL BE SHOCKED WITH THE UNBELIEVABLE AUTHORS/TITLES OF BOOKS WE'VE GOT IN OUR OVER FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND eBOOK COLLECTION.
Illuminatus:

Yuval tends to sound very excited, and that’s part of the reason why I love reading his works.

I think he comes off as if he’s anticipating such a rebellion because he is convinced that it is already happening, and doesn’t have a stance against the movement.

It’s almost like listening to Adichie talk about feminism. Lol
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by XKZ(m): 2:04pm On Nov 14, 2018
Just finished Book of M by Peng Shepherd
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Femiblacky(m): 8:35pm On Nov 15, 2018
Check my signature

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 9:34pm On Nov 16, 2018
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by calliope(f): 9:39am On Nov 17, 2018
Currently reading The Rules of Work by Richard Templar page 70. (Paper back)
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by kidco: 7:34am On Nov 20, 2018
jacob loves books. His mom knows this because when she sits down to read to him every night, he waves his arms excitedly.

His favorite page of "Goodnight Moon" shows a cow jumping over the moon. He squeals and reaches for the book every time he sees it. When she is done reading, his mom usually lets him hold the sturdy board book, which he promptly sticks into his mouth.

jacob is only 6 months old, but he is already well on his way to becoming a reader.

You may wonder about the benefits of reading to your baby. An infant won't understand everything you're doing or why. But you wouldn't wait until your child could understand what you were saying before you started speaking to him or her, right? Nor would you bypass lullabies until your baby could carry a tune or wait until he or she could shake a rattle before you offered any toys.

Reading aloud to your baby is a wonderful shared activity you can continue for years to come — and it's an important form of stimulation.

Reading aloud:

teaches a baby about communicationintroduces concepts such as numbers, letters, colors, and shapes in a fun waybuilds listening, memory, and vocabulary skillsgives babies information about the world around them

Believe it or not, by the time babies reach their first birthday they will have learned all the sounds needed to speak their native language. The more stories you read aloud, the more words your child will be exposed to and the better he or she will be able to talk.

Hearing words helps to build a rich network of words in a baby's brain. Kids whose parents frequently talk/read to them know more words by age 2 than children who have not been read to. And kids who are read to during their early years are more likely to learn to read at the right time.

When you read, your child hears you using many different emotions and expressive sounds, which fosters social and emotional development. Reading also invites your baby to look, point, touch, and answer questions — all of which promote social development and thinking skills. And your baby improves language skills by imitating sounds, recognizing pictures, and learning words.

But perhaps the most important reason to read aloud is that it makes a connection between the things your baby loves the most — your voice and closeness to you — and books. Spending time reading to your baby shows that reading is a skill worth learning. And, if infants and children are read to often with joy, excitement, and closeness, they begin to associate books with happiness — and budding readers are created.

Different Ages, Different Stages

Young babies may not know what the pictures in a book mean, but they can focus on them, especially faces, bright colors, and contrasting patterns. When you read or sing lullabies and nursery rhymes, you can entertain and soothe your infant.

Between 4 and 6 months, your baby may begin to show more interest in books. He or she will grab and hold books, but will mouth, chew, and drop them as well. Choose sturdy vinyl or cloth books with bright colors and repetitive or rhyming text.

Between 6 and 12 months, your child is beginning to understand that pictures represent objects, and most likely will develop preferences for certain pictures, pages, or even entire stories. Your baby will respond while you read, grabbing for the book and making sounds, and by 12 months will turn pages (with some help from you), pat or start to point to objects on a page, and repeat your sounds.

When and How to Read

Here's a great thing about reading aloud: It doesn't take special skills or equipment, just you, your baby, and some books. Read aloud for a few minutes at a time, but do it often. Don't worry about finishing entire books — focus on pages that you and your baby enjoy.

Try to set aside time to read every day — perhaps before naptime and bedtime. In addition to the pleasure that cuddling your baby before bed gives both of you, you'll also be making life easier by establishing a routine. This will help to calm your baby and set expectations about when it's time to sleep.

It's also good to read at other points in the day. Choose times when your baby is dry, fed, and alert. books also come in handy when you're stuck waiting, so have some in the diaper bag to fill time sitting at the doctor's office or standing in line at the grocery store.

Here are some additional reading tips:

Cuddling while you read helps your baby feel safe, warm, and connected to you.Read with expression, pitching your voice higher or lower where it's appropriate or using different voices for different characters.Don't worry about following the text exactly. Stop once in a while and ask questions or make comments on the pictures or text. ("Where's the kitty? There he is! What a cute black kitty."wink Your child might not be able to respond yet, but this lays the groundwork for doing so later on.Sing nursery rhymes, make funny animal sounds, or bounce your baby on your knee — anything that shows that reading is fun.Babies love — and learn from — repetition, so don't be afraid of reading the same books over and over. When you do so, repeat the same emphasis each time as you would with a familiar song.As your baby gets older, encourage him or her to touch the book or hold sturdier vinyl, cloth, or board books. You don't want to encourage chewing on books, but by putting them in his or her mouth, your baby is learning about them, finding out how books feel and taste — and discovering that they're not edible!

What to Read

books for babies should have simple, repetitive text and clear pictures. During the first few months of life, your child just likes to hear your voice, so you can read almost anything, especially books with a sing-song or rhyming text. As your baby gets more interested in looking at things, choose books with simple pictures against solid backgrounds.

Once your baby begins to grab, you can read vinyl or cloth books that have faces, bright colors, and shapes. When your baby begins to respond to what's inside of books, add board books with pictures of babies or familiar objects like toys. When your child begins to do things like sit up in the bathtub or eat finger foods, find simple stories about daily routines like bedtime or bathtime. When your child starts talking, choose books that invite babies to repeat simple words or phrases.

books with mirrors and different textures (crinkly, soft, scratchy) are also great for this age group, as are fold-out books that can be propped up, or books with flaps that open for a surprise. Board books make page turning easier for infants and vinyl or cloth books can go everywhere — even the tub. Babies of any age like photo albums with pictures of people they know and love. And every baby should have a collection of nursery rhymes!

One of the best ways you can ensure that your little one grows up to be a reader is to have books around your house. When your baby is old enough to crawl over to a basket of toys and pick one out, make sure some books are included in the mix.

In addition to the books you own, take advantage of those you can borrow from the library. Many libraries have storytime just for babies, too. Don't forget to pick up a book for yourself while you're there. Reading for pleasure is another way you can be your baby's reading role model

I sell children books
And they are as cheap at a hundred naira a unit
Disney books and marvel comics are available

Thanks
Donyou want children books?
Call 09032730510, 08052130879.

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by XKZ(m): 3:58pm On Nov 20, 2018
Just finished Robot World
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by introvertme: 3:29pm On Nov 27, 2018
Finished Stay with me by Ayobami.
Summary : Half of a yellow sun spin off.
It was so obvious. Smh. Really sad
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 6:58am On Nov 29, 2018
introvertme:

Ah! Ah!!
Spin off? How? The stories don’t have anything in common...
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by AdorableJosh(m): 7:50am On Nov 29, 2018
introvertme:

Uhm, no it isn't.

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by geezyk(m): 8:20am On Nov 29, 2018
Anyone has a link to this book? I really need to read this.

An Exorcist Explains the Demonic: The Antics of Satan and His Army of Fallen Angels.
By Fr. Gabriele Amorth.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by XKZ(m): 5:33pm On Dec 03, 2018
The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2018
Series editor - John Joseph Adams
Editor - N. K. Jemisin
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by XKZ(m): 6:40pm On Dec 08, 2018
Martian Chronicles Ray Bradbury
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Memunah(f): 1:40am On Dec 09, 2018
Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by bknight: 2:29am On Dec 10, 2018
The Perfumed Garden by Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad al-Nafzawi
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by WHIZKIDEFE(m): 5:25pm On Dec 10, 2018
calliope:

I concur cheesy

The book is so deep, the bitter truth about life flows in the pages. It's a nice read 100%.

Some of the pages below.

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by XKZ(m): 2:27am On Dec 11, 2018
Done with "The Whistler" by John Grisham
on "Magonia" by Maria Dahvana Headley
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 3:52am On Dec 11, 2018
Sing, unburied,sing by jesmyn ward.

The king is always above the people by Daniel alarcon.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 5:58am On Dec 11, 2018
SIRcumalot:
Sing, unburied,sing by jesmyn ward.

What’s this book like? It’s been on my to read list for a year now and I keep pushing it down. �
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 9:28pm On Dec 12, 2018
Illuminatus:

What’s this book like? It’s been on my to read list for a year now and I keep pushing it down. �
Think of a little magical realism,interacial relationship mixed with something similar to of mice and men.

I enjoyed it.
Though,it is nothing ground-breaking.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by ColdPizzas: 10:07pm On Dec 12, 2018
calliope:

I'm surprised you enjoyed this book. This is probably one of the worst books I read this year. Total waste of my time, effort and money. The book is just Buddhism, existentialism, hedonism and stoicism redressed in a repetitive, mediocre writing style by a guy who thinks over utilizing the word "fuçk" would drive his platitudinous points home.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by ColdPizzas: 10:19pm On Dec 12, 2018
WHIZKIDEFE:
I concur cheesy

The book is so deep, the bitter truth about life flows in the pages. It's a nice read 100%.

Some of the pages below.

If that book is deep then I wonder what you'd say when you read Kierkegaard, Camus, Satre, Epictetus or Seneca.

Reading that book is like having a mathematics professor teach you mathematics for two years and then receiving a mathematics lecture from a blustering primary school student.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by ColdPizzas: 10:23pm On Dec 12, 2018
Who else is a fan of Camille Paglia? Anyone?

Currently binge-reading all her books.

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (61) (Reply)

Married And Single (18+) / The Godmother / S€X Story : My Lovely Houseboy Episode 1 To 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.