Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,676 members, 7,801,950 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

Could The Jewish Calendar Which The Bible Is Based On Be Wrong? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Could The Jewish Calendar Which The Bible Is Based On Be Wrong? (1796 Views)

Today 21st March Is The Start Of A New Year According To Hebrew/jewish Calendar / Hama Terrorists Complains That The Jewish God Changes The Flight Of Their Rocket / Part Of The Bible Is Straight From Egyptian Mythology(plagiarism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could The Jewish Calendar Which The Bible Is Based On Be Wrong? by baby124: 2:52pm On Sep 13, 2013
Hey Guys,

I have a few questions. This is a kind of continuation from the Genesis thread:

Now, according to the Jews, whose Calendar the bible is based on. The world is only 7,000yrs old. But other evidence and cultures prove otherwise. Could the bible be based on the creation of the Jews as a people (Genesis 1:1) and not the beginning of the world. Or could it be that their counting of the existence of the earth was misinterpreted by the scholars who put the bible together.

1 Like

Re: Could The Jewish Calendar Which The Bible Is Based On Be Wrong? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 13, 2013
baby_123: Hey Guys,

I have a few questions. This is a kind of continuation from the Genesis thread:

Now, according to the Jews, whose Calendar the bible is based on. The world is only 7,000yrs old. But other evidence and cultures prove otherwise. Could the bible be based on the creation of the Jews as a people (Genesis 1:1) and not the beginning of the world. Or could it be that their counting of the existence of the earth was misinterpreted by the scholars who put the bible together.

The account of Genesis never says the world is 7,000 years rather it says "in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth"

The passage gives no timeline between when God began to put shape to the world and when it was created. Genesis 1 is one of the most profound piece you can find in this world. In fact it says water has been existent for long before land came up. It gave an insight into the fact that there was light before the sun and moon...shaming conventional knowledge that the sun is the source of light. It only recognise the sun as a form of light not light itself. Infact the concept of light and darkness is buried deeply in understanding that chapter of the bible.

It follows that before the angels were made the earth may have likely been following same genesis 1 account. You will remember that by the time God created man, Satan had been thrown down. Which points to the fact that the six day creation did not happen in the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth but later.

Infact Genesis 1: 2 states " and the earth was without form and the Spirit of the Lord was hovering over the waters".....

I think the assumption that the "first day" in Genesis 1 is thesame as the begining creates this idea of "the earth is 7000 years" however the bible never says so. No matter what book you read traceable human history is not beyond 7,000 years... every other claims are unrealsitic and far in between... like we found something and its appears from no where and its 7 million years old, and it must have been used by some sort of civilization....any prove of such civilization? And the archaeologist says " just an explanation...it's not conclusive"

2 Likes

Re: Could The Jewish Calendar Which The Bible Is Based On Be Wrong? by baby124: 4:28pm On Sep 13, 2013
belabela:

The account of Genesis never says the world is 7,000 years rather it says "in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth"

The passage gives no timeline between when God began to put shape to the world and when it was created. Genesis 1 is one of the most profound piece you can find in this world. In fact it says water has been existent for long before land came up. It gave an insight into the fact that there was light before the sun and moon...shaming conventional knowledge that the sun is the source of light. It only recognise the sun as a form of light not light itself. Infact the concept of light and darkness is buried deeply in understanding that chapter of the bible.

It follows that before the angels were made the earth may have likely been following same genesis 1 account. You will remember that by the time God created man, Satan had been thrown down. Which points to the fact that the six day creation did not happen in the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth but later.

Infact Genesis 1: 2 states " and the earth was without form and the Spirit of the Lord was hovering over the waters".....

I think the assumption that the "first day" in Genesis 1 is thesame as the begining creates this idea of "the earth is 7000 years" however the bible never says so. No matter what book you read traceable human history is not beyond 7,000 years... every other claims are unrealsitic and far in between... like we found something and its appears from no where and its 7 million years old, and it must have been used by some sort of civilization....any prove of such civilization? And the archaeologist says " just an explanation...it's not conclusive"

But there is carbon dating to prove civilizations which are older than the Jews. Carbon dating is as accurate if not more than written accounts. That is nature telling its own story. I never said the bible said the world was 7,000 years. I said the Jewish calendar seems to claim the world is 7,000 years. Now, all cultures and people will claim the world began when that culture or people were created as an entity. The Bible is largely a Jewish account, and therefore even if unwritten, it is most likely that events and dates were based on the Jewish calendar. Thanks for your explanation though. It does help quite a lot. kiss
Re: Could The Jewish Calendar Which The Bible Is Based On Be Wrong? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 13, 2013
baby_123:

But there is carbon dating to prove civilizations which are older than the Jews. Carbon dating is as accurate if not more than written accounts. That is nature telling its own story. I never said the bible said the world was 7,000 years. I said the Jewish calendar seems to claim the world is 7,000 years. Now, all cultures and people will claim the world began when that culture or people were created as an entity. The Bible is largely a Jewish account, and therefore even if unwritten, it is most likely that events and dates were based on the Jewish calendar. Thanks for your explanation though. It does help quite a lot. kiss

The story of Adam is not the story of the Jews.... there were no Jews before the flood... the creation story just happens to be it. Being Jewish came about many years after the flood. Yet the stories does recognize different civilizations. I have said these carbon dating thingy has no coherence with claims of human civilization. While I do not dispute that there are several materials older than human civilization, however they do not point to any particular human civilization more than somebody claiming big bang happened 12 billion years ago. If you are told there was Noah's ark and it settled on Ararat you may go to Turkey and find relevance of these in history... or you read about mount Sinai.... you can find it in Saudi Arabia ( not the one in Egypt) if you read about Sodom and Gomorrah, you may find evidence of it close to the dead sea area. But when somebody says " I find these materials they are 7 million years old, they belong to a particular civilization" Then you should ask what civilization?, any thing to confirm this civilization?..... then you hear stories like "oh may be there weren't homo sapiens.... they were not yet human then... they were flying birds" all sorts of absurdities.

The bible certainly does not capture every detail of nations that lived on earth but for historical accuracy give it to the bible. It has some of the oldest manuscripts.... older than the ones we use to claim the works of Plato and Aristotle in philosophy class. It mentioned names of Kings outside of Israel which happens to be true.....As far as humans are concerned show me the historical record that precedes Adam.

One thing you will hear from critics is that " genesis 1 was copied from the book of Jasher or jubilees or other sources" but not there was "this particular civilization we know about" except the claims of we came from Africa which has no recorded history other than the oldest bone was found in Africa

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Christian And Muslim,your Prayers Are Useless / We Didn’t Send Mbaka To Say Rubbish – Cardinal Onaiyekan / Photos : Man With Breasts Paraded As Witchcraft Agent In Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.