Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car (39148 Views)

Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / Knowledge 101: Which Engine Oil To Buy? / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by jum33: 4:49pm On Sep 13, 2013
Hello,
Local mechanics are fond of overfilling your engine with much more than recommended engine oil .What is the adverse effect of this practice.
Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by laluski(m): 4:53pm On Sep 13, 2013
jum33: Hello,
Local mechanics are fond of overfilling your engine with more than recommended engine oil .What is the adverse effect of this practice.

Dats true....pls I'll like to know too.plus is it true smoke starts comin outta ur exhaust pipe
Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by shootsight(m): 8:40am On Sep 14, 2013
Auto gurus ur attention is needed here pls.... Oga ikenna, sienna, trac, nisparts ,car doctor and co ...
Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by cardoctor(m): 9:38am On Sep 14, 2013
shoot@sight:
Auto gurus ur attention is needed here pls.... Oga ikenna, sienna, trac, nisparts ,car doctor and co ...

The level of damage depends on the amount of overfill. Consequences are identified by a smoky engine with lots of smoke from the exhaust.
Damaged oil seals.
Oil spillage over the engine and compartment.
Bent connecting rods or broken rods that would end up smashing the engine block.

Car-doctor.
Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by shootsight(m): 9:58am On Sep 14, 2013
car-doctor:

The level of damage depends on the amount of overfill. Consequences are identified by a smoky engine with lots of smoke from the exhaust.
Damaged oil seals.
Oil spillage over the engine and compartment.
Bent connecting rods or broken rods that would end up smashing the engine block.

Car-doctor.
car doctor I was of the opinion ∂@t excess oil would be burnt off over time, How come bent connecting rods ?
Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by shootsight(m): 10:03am On Sep 14, 2013
jum33: Hello,
Local mechanics are fond of overfilling your engine with more than recommended engine oil .What is the adverse effect of this practice.
op pls edit the title of your post,, in order †̥σ get the much needed viewership. Ɛ.g. ''what αяє the adverse effects of adding too much engine oil †̥σ a car''
Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by cardoctor(m): 9:42pm On Sep 14, 2013
shoot@sight:
car doctor I was of the opinion ∂@t excess oil would be burnt off over time, How come bent connecting rods ?

Why Don't you try over filling your engine with oil and then wait for it to burn out.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by Nobody: 10:31pm On Sep 14, 2013
The effects of filling your engine beyond the maximum mark?

Lots! The damage could range from minor to major carnage, petrol and diesel engines will react differently.

With petrol engines:

Smoking (blue smoke) due to oil being forced into the combustion chambers.
Oil leaks from oil filter seal, rocker cover gasket, PCV, oil pressure switches due to excess crankcase pressure.
Damaged turbo oil seals (turbocharged engines).
Smoking (blue smoke) due to oil above turbo oil return line (turbocharged engines).
Damage to catalyst, due to oil being forced down the exhaust.
Damaged oxygen sensors, due to oil contamination (oil being forced down the exhaust).
Bent conrods (extreme cases if enough oil is forced into the combustion chambers, causing a hydrolock).
Damaged engine block (extreme cases if bent conrods have nowhere to go, other than sideways, smashing through the block).
Damaged oil control rings in the pistons.
Oil starvation (extreme cases, if the crank webs are physically in the oil, beating it into a froth, resulting in insufficient flow).
Damaged oil pump.
Damaged crank main seals (front and rear, due to excessive crank pressure).
Fire! (Extreme cases whereby oil is forced out of the dipstick tube and / or PCV at high rpm, and onto a red - hot exhaust).

With diesel engines:

Smoking (blue smoke) due to oil being forced into the combustion chambers.
Oil leaks from oil filter seal, rocker cover gasket, PCV, oil pressure switches due to excess crankcase pressure.
Damaged turbo oil seals (turbocharged engines).
Damaged injectors (direct-injection diesel).
Damaged vacuum pump due to seal failure (if driven by the camshaft).
Smoking (blue smoke) due to oil above turbo oil return line (turbocharged engines).
Damage to catalyst, due to oil being forced down the exhaust.
Damaged oxygen sensors, due to oil contamination (oil being forced down the exhaust).
Bent conrods (extreme cases if enough oil is forced into the combustion chambers, causing a hydrolock).
Damaged engine block (extreme cases if bent conrods have nowhere to go, other than sideways, smashing through the block).
Damaged oil control rings in the pistons.
Oil starvation (extreme cases, if the crank webs are physically in the oil, beating it into a froth, resulting in insufficient flow).
Damaged oil pump.
Damaged crank main seals (front and rear, due to excessive crank pressure).
Fire! (Extreme cases whereby oil is forced out of the dipstick tube and / or PCV at high rpm, and onto a red - hot exhaust).

Catastrophic engine and turbocharger destruction! Diesel is oil-based, if oil is forced into the induction tract and combustion chambers, the engine will literally run on the oil, as it would on diesel. And unlike running on diesel, which can be regulated by the accelerator pedal, and maximum engine rpm limited by the speed governor, with oil forced into the intake, the engine will run beyond its maximum rpm. Turning the ignition off won't help either, the engine will literally rev itself to destruction, stopping only once the oil is exhausted, a conrod or two lets go and smashes through the side/s of the block, or the engine seizes solid.

Or the engine is destroyed by fire.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by shootsight(m): 10:54pm On Sep 14, 2013
car-doctor:

Why Don't you try over filling your engine with oil and then wait for it to burn out.

Car-Doctor.
Perhaps if u'd be providing a replacement engine, ℓ☺ℓ .. We're all here †̥σ learn oga , if I had all ∂ answers I wouldn't bother
Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:20pm On Jun 09, 2015
jum33:
Hello,
Local mechanics are fond of overfilling your engine with much more than recommended engine oil .What is the adverse effect of this practice.
Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by 7mentrouble(m): 2:46pm On Jun 10, 2015
can i top my engine oil so i can fully change it in 2 weeks?
Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 10, 2015
7mentrouble:
can i top my engine oil so i can fully change it in 2 weeks?

You don't state why you need to top up your oil level.

What is the current oil level?
Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by FADEO: 10:17pm On Jun 10, 2015
Nice discussion. Pls what is the EQUIVALENCE OF mobil 1 5W-20 in Total Motor or engine
Re: Adverse effects of adding too much engine oil to a car by leadknight123(m): 1:36pm On Jun 12, 2015
FADEO:
Nice discussion. Pls what is the EQUIVALENCE OF mobil 1 5W-20 in Total Motor or engine
I believe oil grade remains the same for all brands, if 5W-20 is recommended for your vehicle even if you're changing brands ensure the grade remains the same.

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz E-class Wins Best Luxury Car On Earth / Best 5 Cars For Nigerian Roads / Take A Look At The Interior Of This Car.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.