Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,801,995 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria (18939 Views)

Misrule Worse Than Boko Haram-PDP / It's Unfair,ibori To Be Jail,and Saraki Walking Free–sowore Of Saharareporters / Ibori, Others To Complete Jail Terms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by atlwireles: 5:26pm On Sep 13, 2013
Former Delta state governor, and convicted money launderer, James Ibori, was never Nigeria’s worst plunderer of state wealth. He may only have been less smart. Far worse official thieves are walking free today, and are celebrated as heroes, former head of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Nuhu Ribadu, has said.

“There are worse people than James Ibori in Nigeria. Probably, he was not the smartest one among them, but there are some crooks worse than James and I still see them. Some of them are even being celebrated right now in our country,” Mr Ribadu said in a recent interview with Zero Tolerance, a magazine published by the EFCC’s media unit.

Mr. Ibori is serving a 13-year jail sentence in the UK after a Southwark Crown Court 9 in London, on April 17, 2012, found him guilty of stealing and laundering billions of naira of Delta state money.

The former governor, who led Delta state between 1999 and 2007, was first investigated by the EFCC under Mr. Ribadu and later, under Farida Waziri.

Mr. Ribadu’s unceremonious exit from the post was largely blamed on the Ibori case as the former governor was a major backer of the then president, Umaru Yar’adua.

The case soon went cold after Mr. Ribadu’s removal, amid allegations Mr. Ibori was shielded by the government with the support of the EFCC. Mrs Waziri, who took over from Mr. Ribadu, has denied that claim in a separate interview with the same magazine.

She said it was her pursuit of Mr. Ibori that forced him out of the country to the United Arab Emirate, where he was eventually arrested and repatriated to Britain to face charges.

The Ibori case stirred further controversy after former President Olusegun Obasanjo told the same EFCC magazine that Mrs Waziri was appointed on Mr. Ibori’s recommendation. Again, Mrs Waziri denied that claim.

While Mr. Ribadu is widely regarded as the best hand yet to have headed the anti-graft agency, his critics say he was manipulated by Mr. Obasanjo to go after the former president’s political enemies. In his interview, Mr. Obasanjo dismissed that suggestion and spoke highly of him and his achievements, but scathingly faulted Mrs. Waziri.

Mr. Ribadu said there were and still are, smarter criminals who did more damage to the fight against corruption in Nigeria than Mr. Ibori.

He said while he fought corruption passionately and diligently, he never took the effort personal as he strove to do only what was expected of him as a law enforcement officer.

He also said there were people who he investigated and brought to justice who attempted to do more damage to him than the former Delta governor.

“James was not different from all others; and while doing this type of work, they will fight you back. I have seen a lot of fighting back all my life, and that of James was not as bad as the others. His own was very public that is why. There are those that even attempted to kill me who are still out there. This is the type of work that when you do, you must expect a thing like that,” Mr. Ribadu said.

He criticised some judges, while also commending others. He said many criminals in Nigeria escape justice with the connivance of some judges. He said while Mr. Ibori was acquitted of 170 charges by a judge, another Federal High Court Judge “sent him to prison for two and a half months”.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/144636-thieves-worse-ibori-walking-free-nigeria-nuhu-ribadu-2.html
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by atlwireles: 5:34pm On Sep 13, 2013
Ribadu is a useless noise maker. You stood on the same podium with most of those thieves and called them political reformers. Deltans, lead by the urhobos took Ibori to task and made his life after office miserable. President Jonah becoming CIC put the final nail on his coffin. We might not be the most sophisticated and the most intelligent breeds in Nigeria. But the average urhobo person will hold his own any day and then some. When Ibori returns from his UK jail and asks for forgiveness, deltans will most certainly forgive him. As long as he does the right thing. He has paid a price that 99% worst criminals that are political kingmakers today never paid. It shall be well.

10 Likes

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by Nonybb: 7:10pm On Sep 13, 2013
All Politician including OBJ, ribadu and co are all criminals. U ppl are a deceptive and pretentious crooks

3 Likes

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by gramci: 7:31pm On Sep 13, 2013
Like Tinubu this foool later exonerated just because he gave him a worthless presidential ticket

3 Likes

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by gramci: 7:40pm On Sep 13, 2013
Ribadu should tell Nigerians the actual line Tafa Balagun crossed.

For those who don't know it has to do with his invasion of okija shrine against the wishes of OBJ.

Folks do the maths
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by BrokenTV: 7:51pm On Sep 13, 2013
If Ribadu can not mention the name of those people that are worse than Ibori in public. I don't see the reason of him saying this.

15 Likes

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by Aromas: 1:07pm On Sep 14, 2013
Broken TV: If Ribadu can not mention the name of those people that are worse than Ibori in public. I don't see the reason of him saying this.

Abi now, if he(Ribadu) can't mention why shouting self
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:07pm On Sep 14, 2013
Confessions here and there cheesy
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by j4sure(m): 1:07pm On Sep 14, 2013
NAWA OH
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by mu2sa2: 1:08pm On Sep 14, 2013
Ribadu is right. Doubtless, Ibori stole billions as governor of Delta state. His thieving lasted 8 years but some people entrenched in the system have been stealing billions for longer period.
Farida Waziri is also right that ibori wasn't the person that influenced her appointment as effcc chair. Actually it was the Sarakis who planted her at effcc. Bukola saraki and james ibori are close friends though- birds of a feather... Waziri never disappointed the Sarakis throughout her tenure- all the petitions against Bukola Saraki were literally thrown into the dust bin when she was in office despite the overwhelming evidence adduced including documentary. Bukola was only investigated before and after Waziri's tenure.

2 Likes

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by FYsol: 1:08pm On Sep 14, 2013
no be one by one we go they catch them? or because there are several thieves we should leave the one we have caught?

4 Likes

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by MrAboki: 1:09pm On Sep 14, 2013
Until I see people like;

Peter Odili
Badamosi Babangida
Atiku Abubakar

And co in jail, the EFCC will remain just a weapon in the. Hands of any president in office..

13 Likes

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by fr3do(m): 1:13pm On Sep 14, 2013
What Nigeria needs is cleansing,cleansing from corrupt old men.
Invite them for dinner
lock the doors and kill them all.
Shikena.

11 Likes

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by Akshow: 1:13pm On Sep 14, 2013
Will dis senseless, foolish, he goat just shut it already?
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by sweetkev(m): 1:14pm On Sep 14, 2013
Ribadu, we need names not stories.
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by omon24(m): 1:17pm On Sep 14, 2013
Broken TV: If Ribadu can not mention the name of those people that are worse than Ibori in public. I don't see the reason of him saying this.
exactly ma point, threat to expose today, we av thieves all ova naija tmrow, we ar tired of this noisemakers.if they claim to kno this bad guys they should be bold enof to unmask dem.i gues d reason they r scared to reveal is that dia hands ar not so clean afta al.
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by overdrive(m): 1:17pm On Sep 14, 2013
I just hope Ribadu is not referring to either obj or tinubu.

2 Likes

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by monopolist: 1:18pm On Sep 14, 2013
Funny....

Ribadu talk the talk mention their names.

Funnier......

We all know most of them

Funniest......

They oppress the poor with stolen wealth and queue up or 'kill their way up' to Lead and Direct by going from Talisman to Herbalist, from Mountain to Alfas to pray and invoke demons to postpone the soon coming REVOLUTION.
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by Krisddon: 1:18pm On Sep 14, 2013
The truth is that no Nigerian who has held or is holding a public office that has not stolen more than enough, those who were not caught or were caught but freed are connected to the high & mighty. EFCC is merely to intimidate political opponents worse still, the intmidation doesn't really achieve its aim as such. Nigeria is so corrupt that even a councillor @ the local level is not free from corruption. Well, i will say that Nuhu was right cos even him could be worse than so many; was Frida Warizi not tried for corruption charges? Perhaps Nuhu is more connected than her as such, he mains untauchable. I strongly believe that Ibori is still a learner compare to Lucky Igbenedioun who was found guilty of 121 but later reduced to 1 count charge of corruption & was sentenced to 3yrs imprisonment or alternative of 3million naira fine. Imagine! What is ₦3million to a governor who served for 8yrs? Femi Fani Kayode also stole ₦288m during his days as aviation minister but due to his loyalty to Obasanjo he was freed, very recenty was the case of Farouk Lawal after all his mess he is enjoying his bribe and even has the mouth to advice the FG not to rush into negotiation with ASUU. Who else?? Orji Uzo kalu alone made Michael Andoaka to slash the powers of EFCC in 2007 cos it attempted to try him. I guess u are all aware? What about Joshua Dariye, i guess u remeber is case? Yet he's a free man today. Same with former governor of Bauchi. Well, it is extremely excruciating how these people loot us this dry. Did i hear u rephrase "us" yes i'm so pained cos my money is involed as a tax payer.the freequency at which we pay taxes in Niger state is already out of hand the government doesn't even care to know how u manage to get little money and start small business all they know is to issue various types of notice of unbargainable taxes to be collected in just a week. No crime is worse than being a Nigerian, worse still if u're not from the political class. If the leaders really want to make Nigeria a better place, its starts with them. Just one law as in China and Saudi Arabia can change the whole system but because of their lingering personal ineterest, no one can move such motion and even when moved, the mover's life will be moved. The most excruciating stupid policy of the moment is this plate number and driver's license, imagine the cost and pain of getting the latest ones whereas the ones most people have now are no where near expiration.

24 Likes

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by valicious1(m): 1:19pm On Sep 14, 2013
fr3do: Fghdrvs
U nid 2visit here..

2 Likes

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by Mznaett: 1:19pm On Sep 14, 2013
Mr Ribadu,we are aware of these. But, If things like this continue to happen in our Country, Who will survive
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by sage2(m): 1:28pm On Sep 14, 2013
How does this make Kasapreko reduce the price of Alomo for boys to ginger?
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by jhydebaba(m): 1:29pm On Sep 14, 2013
... And the roforofo fight continues...
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by iamswizz(m): 1:31pm On Sep 14, 2013
e.g Tinubu parkinson
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 14, 2013
I was hoping to see a list.
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by kufre2010: 1:41pm On Sep 14, 2013
Atiku Abubakah said for PDP to b united his loyalists should not b investigated by efcc and icpc. This is the same method this oligarthy used to stop efcc and icpc frm investigating both serving and former governors during Yaradua tenure. It is in the interest of Nigerians that we should start using traditional dieties to swear in public office holders.

5 Likes

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by lilslick(m): 1:44pm On Sep 14, 2013
*Comment moved to draft*
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by passionate88: 1:48pm On Sep 14, 2013
because obj talk say him bn good b4 this man no go close mouth
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by Diasporan(m): 1:53pm On Sep 14, 2013
mu2sa2: Ribadu is right. Doubtless, Ibori stole billions as governor of Delta state. His thieving lasted 8 years but some people entrenched in the system have been stealing billions for longer period.
Farida Waziri is also right that ibori wasn't the person that influenced her appointment as effcc chair. Actually it was the Sarakis who planted her at effcc. Bukola saraki and james ibori are close friends though- birds of a feather... Waziri never disappointed the Sarakis throughout her tenure- all the petitions against Bukola Saraki were literally thrown into the dust bin when she was in office despite the overwhelming evidence adduced including documentary. Bukola was only investigated before and after Waziri's tenure.
Bro say what you know and not assumption.Ibori planted her and Aoondokar(Former Attorney General of the Federation) there.I can stand face to face to tell Waziri she is lying.Ribadu and Obj said the truth about that woman.She is not better than the criminals she is chasing.Am not speaking from assumption but speaking from what I witnessed and I know about the their appointment.In Newspaper words they will say according to a reliable source.Things happening in Nigeria is bigger than what Nigerians can ever imagine when its made known to them.If you want to know more on the story PM me bro.I can't share such info online.

1 Like

Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by israel007: 1:55pm On Sep 14, 2013
Lol. Wonderful people
Re: Ribadu - Thieves Worse Than Ibori Walking Free In Nigeria by comrChris(m): 1:56pm On Sep 14, 2013
Mr talk talk can u pls tell us d way 4ward in catching dose of ur counterparts,.enough of dis bla bla bla 4rm our thiefleaders

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don Unachukwu Commissions Surface Incinerator In Idemili South LGA / Southern Senators Back Governors On Open Grazing Ban, Restructuring, Others / APC Likened To Mosquito In New Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.