Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,551 members, 7,809,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration (8773 Views)

Tuning The Old Car - Renault 19, Chamade, 1994 / Is Mileage Of 156,000 Miles Too High For A 1999 (ie 14-Year-Old) Car? / t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 11:56am On Sep 14, 2013
Hello Friends and car enthusiast, this thread comes as a result of the yearnings to revamp our almost dead vehicles to attain back it factory performances and capabilities both in features and performances at the cheapest possible cost that we can afford. Modern innovations can help improve your performances and MPG(miles per Gallon) as well.

That old Benz, BMW, Audi of yours can attain absolute restoration to perform like new, just like when you bought it if not better than.
You can attain that much absolute fuel economy and performance you've been dreaming of that looks like impossible to achieve; you can even do that at amount that is way too small that expected.

You would now be able to buy your dream cars at a very cheap prices from their already fed up owners and turn it around as super luxury/sport vehicles, and so on and so forth.

You would also be able to prolong the life span of your vehicle as long as you may wish to keep them. So lets Package our well thought contributions and deliver same to this thread. I am fulfilling this promise today to all of ours who are interested. You can confirm this promise here, https://www.nairaland.com/520025/mercedes-benz-thread/26#18102287. So lets leave our differences behind ours and work as a team to help ourselves and achieve these fits

CHECK LIST

Now let's look at the crux of the matter, assuming you have an old vehicle thats is about 20 years old or there about , you bought it because it was cheap or it has always been your dream car, you cannot just let go off this car, but only for you to realise that her perfomance is so detestable, never mind you can change all that.

A)First of all check this vehicle very well for current leakages , this may lead to checking and replacement of the following items:

1. plug wires
2. spark plugs
3. ignition coils
4. your voltage regulator
5. distributors if it has it
6. OVP
7. fuel pump relays
8. expired wire harness: In some vehicles you might need to replace the wires or do fresh rewiring for things to work properly

B)Check for fuel leakages and underperfoming fuel components . You may have to check and replace the following components

1. fuel hoses
2. the injectors and nuzzles
3. fuel filters and pumps
4. catalytic converters and
5. Oxygen sensors
6. replace all the old hoses if you can, especially ac hoses
7. air filters and MAF

c)If you are a traveller like me and love speed. you have to check your suspension systems THOROUGHLY too. Replace any wobbling or worn out parts

1. ball joints
2. shocks and struts
3. the arms: upper arms, lower arms, etc shaft and axle joints
4. propeller shaft
5. steering balls and joints
6. check your back axle for proper oil gauge and change noisy back axle etc
7. axle thyroid and centre thyroid( very necessary for stability at high speed )

D)Infact, for vehicle that are this old , you must have to replace the following components else they will forced you to replaced them on the road:

1. your tensioner pulley and adjuster
2. your timing belt if yours comes with a belt

If you check for these components, diagnose them well and replace bad ones, you vehicle will turn new and perform excellently
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 12:20pm On Sep 14, 2013
To wet your appetite, watch this 190 restoration video and other related video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90IVIZD781A
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 12:28pm On Sep 14, 2013
Read this testimony by Josh. this is just a sort of guide to show you what it could be like:

Mercedes Benz 190E 2.5-16 Complete Restoration
Hi everybody,

Thought I would post the progress of my 2.5-16 complete restoration. I acquired the car back in 1992 when the car was about 3 years old. So it holds a lot of special memories for me. I remember at the time there was nothing quite like it on the road and I recall test driving an E30 M3 and liking the Merc better!

Sadly over the years, not having enough time, it fell into a pretty bad state of disrepair. Coupled with some untasteful modifications (window tints, bigger wheels etc) it was looking a bit sorry.

I was in a bit of a quandary as to what to do...Should I sell it as is, buy another, or restore it. After much thought I decided to restore the car – nut and bolt. The story starts back in March 2008.

Here is the car as it looked in 1993, this picture was scanned so apologies for the poor quality.

I was going to pretty much do a full restoration of the car but also add some things that I had always wanted.

The restoration build includes:

Complete strip down of vehicle, including windows, doors, seals, bonnet, boot, engine out, interior out, headlining, fuel tank etc...
Complete body rectification, including rust removal and treatment, and welding if necessary
Complete respray using only Glasurit paint and lacquer, including engine bay, door shuts etc
Body kit to be finished in original matte
New clips for sacco panels
Rebuilding Mercedes Benz long engine 2.5-16 and re-finishing
Rebuilding Getrag 5-Speed gearbox
Fitting new leather interior with heated seats and electric seats
Fitting new carpets
Fitting new Zebrano wood gear surround
Fitting new gear lever
Fitting new volt meter, oil temp gauges
Fitting new lap timer
Fitting new outside temperature gauge
Fitting Air Conditioning
Fitting new head-lining
Fitting new seat belt stalks
Fitting new steering wheel (Mercedes Sportline)
Fitting new indicator stalk
Fitting all new switches (Windows, heated seats, rear light, rear de-fogger, air recirculation)
Fitting new heater dials
Fitting new ashtray
Fitting new cigarette lighter (I don’t smoke!)
Fitting new glove compartment skin
Fitting 4 new door cards
Fitting 4 new door handles
Fitting front speakers
Fitting 4 new rain sheets
Fitting 4 new window motors and regulators
Refurbishing instrument cluster (recalibrating needles)
Replacing all bulbs
Fitting 500k HID kit (Maintains road legality)
Replacing all vents
Replacing heater core
Fitting fire extinguisher with felt overlay
Fitting Mercedes oddment container
Fitting Mercedes petrol can to spare wheel well
Fitting Mercedes cassette holder to centre console
Fitting Becker head unit with satellite navigation
Fitting Becker remote kit
Fitting amplifier and crossovers in rear boot (nothing garish)
Fitting new Hirschmann aerial
Fitting new boot liners
Fitting new boot carpet
Fitting new windscreen
Fitting new rear screen
Fitting new windows
Fitting new seals all round
Re-anodizing roof rails, rear window surrounds, front window strip, and side windowstrips
Evolution II wheels with 4 new Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres
Fitting new Mercedes Grille and surround
New Mercedes star
New front lights
New side blinkers
New rear lights
Complete engine bay restoration including new bonnet pad insulation, new rear firewall, new side firewall, new coolant reservoir, new washer reservoir, new hydraulic fluid reservoir, new hoses for cooling system, all new Mercedes jubilee clips, new alternator, new water pump, new heater core pipes, new fuel injection lines, new hoses for fuel injection system, new fuel distributor, new air flow sensor, new fuel pressure regulator, new EHA valve, new idle air control valve, new cold start valve.
Fitting of O2 sensor to non cat vehicle to enable automatic fuel/air mixture calibration
Fitting of new down pipes and centre section
Fitting of new brake lines
Fitting of new hydraulic lines
Fitting of new fuel lines
New brake discs
New brake pads
New tie rods
New steering drag link
New front and rear bushes
Sub frame restoration
Multi link suspension restoration
Cavities all protected with 3M cavity wax
New number plates

I’m sure I have left a few things out and I will add these as I go along. The car will be featured in Mercedes Enthusiast at some point after the work has been carried out.

Anyway back to the story! After I had decided to carry out a full restoration I began on trying to find who was capable to undertake such a mammoth task. Sadly it became apparent that no one person could carry out the body work and mechanical restoration. I would have to get several things done at several different places. I did not like the idea of this because I did not want the vehicle being pushed from pillar to post.

So my journey took me to a company in Germany who have been carrying out complete restorations on Mercedes old timers and young timers. The restoration would not take a few months I was told...But it would take about a year or so! That’s not that bad considering some restorations can take years – as this great forum shows...

Get the full detail and pictures here: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=113980

1 Like

Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 14, 2013
au.hanson:
To wet your appetite, watch this 190 restoration video and other related video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90IVIZD781A
plz bro if possible give us some pics 4 d viewing pleasure of some mobile users especially 4 doz yet 2 get a smartphone u re my mentor 4 nw cox we are on strike,and am plannin 2 do something similar with the same make and model a strong w201.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 14, 2013
After my landlord's family bought a 2003 rav4 on an ember month like last 2 yrz..dey went 2 d village for christmas and when dey returned dier 190 did'nt come back with them though twas a month later that dier corolla(1st lady) came home with them..the son after returning 4rm somewhere said d 190 dey got developed an engine problem..later on ma dad bought it off for 100k...the guy our landlord's son a year later bought a 2001 primera hatchback and disposed the old corolla hatchback they got...
Now the guy says he doesn't like the primera again that he's buying a 2004 corolla.
Since i've been at home 4 ASUU strike,i've been day dreamin bout restoring the car 2 dat g-class level of a sedan.
The lord knows that if i get 200k 4 a start and by december by d time d restoration could have been completed and his corolla finally arrives,am gonna make sure the guy grows envious of ma 190 and wish he still had it,by the time i'll be pulling up in a challenge and hz just commin wit a corolla be it corolla S...
I'll show him dat even though he has a much younger car dan mine d' corolla has to show some respect 2 ma 190..
Cox children can't challenge elderz itz not heard off nt 2 talk of a legendary german machine.
Anyway am dreamin of havin a W202 (c-class) kompressor engine fitted 2 d 190 engine bay..
Just be prayin 4 me 2 get some sponsorship cox u gotta enjoy ma restoration project thread...and also a thread on a Tuned 1989 MB 190 Vs New 2004 Toyota Corolla.
I'll get d pics of d 190 i wanna restore when i visit the location itz parked 4 2yrz later on or on monday.
I'll also tryna get d pics of d tuned 190 model am looking at.
Plz kindhearted Nairalander,if u have an AMG,Lorinser or zender body kits that u'll wnt 2 help me with,lights et al
i'll appreciate even if am payin bk with some services
plz if u can support me financially 2 actualising dz dream,i'll b d happiest person on nairaland
U can hit me on ma gmail Timkworth2013@gmail.com
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 7:44pm On Sep 14, 2013
I like this zeal , i cant wait to see this your dream come true especially that of transplanting the the kompressor engine into the Benz 190. I pray that you get all the help,sponsorship and donor items it will take to achieve this dream of yours. Keep us posted as you have promised
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 7:48pm On Sep 14, 2013
These are the 10 most common causes of poor gas mileage you can prevent to save money and cleaner environment. Read on

Under-inflated tires are a common cause of poor gas mileage. Pull out your owner’s manual and note the

recommended tire inflation for your vehicle. Gas mileage drops by one percent for every 2 lbs the tires are

under-inflated. Properly inflated tires increase gas mileage by up to 3 percent.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6188620_10-causes-poor-gas-mileage.html#ixzz2etQHV9YO

gas mileage rates begin to decrease at speeds over 60 mph. Maintaining a slower speed can result in a 7 to 23

percent savings in fuel economy.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6188620_10-causes-poor-gas-mileage.html#ixzz2etQfNlPs

Extra weight in your car causes the engine to work harder and lowers gas mileage. Remove excess items from

your trunk and any car carriers. A reduction of 100 lbs in excess weight can save 1 to 2 percent in fuel economy.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6188620_10-causes-poor-gas-mileage.html#ixzz2etQyZIZb

Cars perform best when driven consistently. Sudden acceleration, or braking, can decrease gas mileage. The

use of cruise control on the highway can help you maintain a constant driving speed and improve gas mileage.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6188620_10-causes-poor-gas-mileage.html#ixzz2etRBiVG1

Not following the recommended schedule for your car’s tune-ups can increase your gas consumption. Regular

tune-ups will increase gas mileage by up to 4 percent. Refer to your owner’s manual for the correct tune-up

schedule for your car.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6188620_10-causes-poor-gas-mileage.html#ixzz2etRSwDe6

A roof rack may help you load extra items onto your car, but it will also decrease your gas mileage. A roof rack

changes the aerodynamics of your car and increases the air resistance, resulting in poor gas mileage. Extra

items carried on the rack add weight to the car and contribute to poor mileage. Remove the rack if it is not

needed. A loaded roof rack may decrease your gas mileage by 5 percent.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6188620_10-causes-poor-gas-mileage.html#ixzz2etRbOo00

The amount of gas your car consumes is greatly increased by the number of trips you make trying to finish your

daily errands. Combine trips to cut down on gas expense. Review your errands for the week and plan to take

care of errands in the same general location on one trip.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6188620_10-causes-poor-gas-mileage.html#ixzz2etRmOoTl

Keeping your car running, while not going anywhere, is a waste of gasoline. Idling contributes to gas

consumption and contributes nothing to gas mileage. It also contributes to pollution. Turn off your car when

waiting.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6188620_10-causes-poor-gas-mileage.html#ixzz2etRscy6l

It is important to use the proper oil for your automobile. The incorrect choice can result in poor gas mileage. Use

the type of oil recommended by your car’s manufacturer.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6188620_10-causes-poor-gas-mileage.html#ixzz2etS6kstH

An oxygen sensor interprets the amount of oxygen in your car’s exhaust and uses that information to adjust the

car’s fuel consumption. An improperly functioning oxygen sensor can lead to poor gas mileage. Fixing an oxygen

sensor may improve your car’s gas consumption by as much as 40 percent.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6188620_10-causes-poor-gas-mileage.html#ixzz2etSYZJYx
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 9:23pm On Sep 14, 2013
CHECK LIST

Now let's look at the crux of the matter, assuming you have an old vehicle thats is about 20 years old or there about , you bought it because it was cheap or it has always been your dream car, you cannot just let go off this car, but only for you to realise that her perfomance is so detestable, never mind you can change all that.

A)First of all check this vehicle very well for current leakages , this may lead to checking and replacement of the following items:

1. plug wires
2. spark plugs
3. ignition coils
4. your voltage regulator
5. distributors if it has it
6. OVP
7. fuel pump relays
8. expired wire harness: In some vehicles you might need to replace the wires or do fresh rewiring for things to work properly

B)Check for fuel leakages and underperfoming fuel components . You may have to check and replace the following components

1. fuel hoses
2. the injectors and nuzzles
3. fuel filters and pumps
4. catalytic converters and
5. Oxygen sensors
6. replace all the old hoses if you can, especially ac hoses
7. air filter and MAF

c)If you are a traveller like me and love speed. you have to check your suspension systems THOROUGHLY too. Replace any wobbling or worn out parts

1. ball joints
2. shocks and struts
3. the arms: upper arms, lower arms, etc shaft and axle joints
4. propeller shaft
5. steering balls and joints
6. check your back axle for proper oil gauge and change noisy back axle etc
7. axle thyroid and centre thyroid( very necessary for stability at high speed )

D)Infact, for vehicle that are this old , you must have to replace the following components else they will forced you to replaced them on the road:

1. your tensioner pulley and adjuster
2. your timing belt if yours comes with a belt

If you check for these components, diagnose them well and replace bad ones, you vehicle will turn new and perform excellently.
To make things a lot more easier for us, we will be treating each of these CHECK LIST one by one as God gives us the Grace.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 10:35pm On Sep 14, 2013
au.hanson:
I like this zeal , i cant wait to see this your dream come true especially that of transplanting the the kompressor engine into the Benz 190. I pray that you get all the help,sponsorship and donor items it will take to achieve this dream of yours. Keep us posted as you have promised
yea! I will. If u can help me in anyway in actualizing that pls also do.thankz
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 10:36pm On Sep 14, 2013
au.hanson:
yep! U Can also help me in ur own liltle way.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 6:52am On Sep 15, 2013
Au.hanson,Siena et al bout how much should i be budgeting for this restoration work.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 15, 2013
Siena nd al Car gurus on Car talk town
bout how much should i be budgeting for this restoration work.
Am not doing a complete restoration anyway but here are some changes i have in view
FOR THE EXTERIOR
*Am swaping the old black Steel rims for an Evolution II alloy rims or a Similar one
*Am installing an AMG,Lorinser or Zender bumbers(will prefer one with space for fog lights);Spoilers,New Headlights with white indicators,Smoke and Red rearlights,New front Grille and Rear batches
FOR THE INTERIOR
*Changing door cards,foot mats,painting the dashboard black and replacing lost knobs,new seat covers and steering covers,installing new radio/Cd player nd fixing the A.C
anything not changed in the interior will be thoroughly washed and mended where required
*I Don't pretty much about the power train and Some Basic systems but i knw definitely that their's a major job 2 be done there and fluids to be flushed out...if dierz enuf money i'll b putting a W202 kompressor engine..
Finally the paint Job.
bout how much will it cost, cox currently am budgeting 200,000 to 250,000 4 this and also soliciting for funds ?
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 2:58pm On Sep 15, 2013
Bossforeva: Siena nd al Car gurus on Car talk town
bout how much should i be budgeting for this restoration work.
Am not doing a complete restoration anyway but here are some changes i have in view
FOR THE EXTERIOR
*Am swaping the old black Steel rims for an Evolution II alloy rims or a Similar one
*Am installing an AMG,Lorinser or Zender bumbers(will prefer one with space for fog lights);Spoilers,New Headlights with white indicators,Smoke and Red rearlights,New front Grille and Rear batches
FOR THE INTERIOR
*Changing door cards,foot mats,painting the dashboard black and replacing lost knobs,new seat covers and steering covers,installing new radio/Cd player nd fixing the A.C
anything not changed in the interior will be thoroughly washed and mended where required
*I Don't pretty much about the power train and Some Basic systems but i know definitely that their's a major job 2 be done there and fluids to be flushed out...if dierz enuf money i'll b putting a W202 kompressor engine..
Finally the paint Job.
bout how much will it cost, cox currently am budgeting 200,000 to 250,000 4 this and also soliciting for funds ?

If you can give me till next weekend, i'll give you the exact cost of those items in our local market here and state how you can source them cheaper, mostly from the after market.. I have done similar project for my Benz 190 6yrs ago, and i use to drive it proudly and contest with whoever that challenge me on the road and never lost the challenge. I was so crazy about this ride and turn it to a super car but with reasonable fuel economy. It has always ran contest on the highway since then; i changed my 1.8 litre engine to a 2.3 litre engine(vboot engine) that houses the following:

Engine Displacement 2,298 cc
Cylinders 4
Valves 8V (2 valves per cylinder)
Torque 198 Nm → 146 lb-ft (3,500 rpm)
Power Output 132 bhp (5,100 rpm) but later modification gave it a 154 bhp
Kilowatts 96 kW
Gearbox 4-speed Automatic . I am now thinking of changing that gear box to 5 speed auto gear box (from c class. i know how to convert this. i have done one for a friend before)for more fuel economy and extra performance, though not yet made up my mind.

Top Speed 119 mph (192 km/h) but later modification gave it a top speed of 126 mph (203 km/h)

Acceleration 0-60 mph in 10.70 sec. but later modification gave it Acceleration of 0-60 mph in (this is suppose to be) 8.40 sec. ,

I changed the entire body kits from pencil to super padded including the too bumpers, back and front. I use original oem parts with all the factory clips to achieved these, no rubies was involved. I also change the side mirrors and the front grill to that of the amg, the mirror lits at nights and as traficators. I changed the interior from upholstery to leather . I changed the dash too with the windscreen headlamps and rear lamps to that of the sport model, the tinted ones. I changed the wheels from the normal chrome 14 inch to the fancy finger chromes 15inch. I changed the exhaust system to that of the amg racing sport type double silencer. I changed the entire suspension system to stronger ones and also the entire back camber, thyroid and axle thyroids. I changed the tires form 189/70/rm15 to 215/65/rm15. I source all my parts from the after markets and got them quite cheap. It cost me about 300k then but i wasn't disappointed because it was worth it, but i want to give you today's price, and its gonna be a lot cheaper today than then.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by yungboss(m): 5:37pm On Sep 15, 2013
au.hanson:

If you can give me till next weekend, i'll give you the exact cost of those items in our local market here and state how you can source them cheaper, mostly from the after market.. I have done similar project for my Benz 190 6yrs ago, and i use to drive it proudly and contest with whoever that challenge me on the road and never lost the challenge. I was so crazy about this ride and turn it to a super car but with reasonable fuel economy. It has always ran contest on the highway since then; i changed my 1.8 litre engine to a 2.3 litre engine(vboot engine) that houses the following:

Cylinders 4
Kilowatts 96 kW
Gearbox 4-speed Automatic . I am now thinking of changing that gear box to 5 speed auto gear box (from c class. i know how to convert this. i have done one for a friend before)for more fuel economy and extra performance, though not yet made up my mind.

Top Speed 119 mph (192 km/h) but later modification gave it a top speed of 126 mph (203 km/h)

Acceleration 0-60 mph in 10.70 sec. but later modification gave it Acceleration of 0-60 mph in 9.50 sec. ,

I changed the entire body kits from pencil to super padded including the too bumpers, back and front. I use original oem parts with all the factory clips to achieved these, no rubies was involved. I also change the side mirrors and the front grill to that of the amg, the mirror lits at nights and as traficators. I changed the interior from upholstery to leather . I changed the dash too with the windscreen headlamps and rear lamps to that of the sport model, the tinted ones. I changed the wheels from the normal chrome 14 inch to the fancy finger chromes 15inch. I changed the exhaust system to that of the amg racing sport type double silencer. I changed the entire suspension system to stronger ones and also the entire back camber, thyroid and axle thyroids. I changed the tires form 189/70/rm15 to 215/65/rm15. I source all my parts from the after markets and got them quite cheap. It cost me about 300k then but i wasn't disappointed because it was worth it, but i want to give you today's price, and its gonna be a lot cheaper today than then.
I must commend your efforts Mr. Hanson,
but i'm really interested in the modification that gave you over 20hp increase and reduced your 0-60 time...
You didn't lose a race...but did you try racing a bmw e30 325i? Nice work sir...following.
I thought the 201 engine was the high powered 180hp 4cylinders...i.e, the one the e30 m3 was built to contend with...i was suprised when you stated a 1.8l engine with the modest numbers...
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 3:50pm On Sep 16, 2013
yungboss:
I must commend your efforts Mr. Hanson,
but i'm really interested in the modification that gave you over 20hp increase and reduced your 0-60 time...
You didn't lose a race...but did you try racing a bmw e30 325i? Nice work sir...following.
I thought the 201 engine was the high powered 180hp 4cylinders...i.e, the one the e30 m3 was built to contend with...i was suprised when you stated a 1.8l engine with the modest numbers...

thanks my dear , i'm flattered. Its been long since i heard you last. Also sorry i mean to say 8.4 second and not the other way.
Ok, for the modification, my dealers crazy brother who resides abroad,by coincidence, who is also a car fanatic came up with some ideas,same thing he uses over there at the state in his 190 2.6 , 6 cylinder engine, called:

Performance Cams, exahaust system to match with it and a throttle component like that: A kind of engine part that will make your engine rev very fast and work excellently in conjunction with performance exhaust system. He open my engine and reinstall those things expertly.The throttle tail was install outside the engine. i wasn't so nosy in those days to really pick on the whole show. All i was interested was the performance.

First a small component was installed near the throttle tail of the engine , we tested it to ascertain the acceleration under 0 -100km/h and we got some significant shortening in seconds than before. he then install the performance cam in the engine, it was a whole days work . we tested it too and got significant lessening in seconds under the same 0-100 km/h. On another day the final part , the exhaust system was installed and waoh , another significance improvement was achieved all on the same road. From the calculation that added up to extra 22 hp but in his 2.6 he said he achieved something of far more than 204hp, Though i have lost contact wit him since.

Boy the BMW i use to meet then were slow drivers, so no need to even go finding trouble, but one remarkable experience was with the honda ivtec, i couldn't believe my eyes the fit this 1980s model car made against the two thousand and something honda eod. It was amazing, at a point the very guy in the eod was frustrated, i think i published this in the fastest speed ever driven.

Another remarkable experience was when i overtook 6 vehicles at a stretch up hill with my then girlfriend on my way to Calabar from PH, now my wife and sweetheart. i can still remember the toyota rav 4 , the toyota camry, prado yeep, and the avallon , they were all contesting with each other before i met them , i can still remember as my babe close her eyes , and after the whole episode she shouted "never you ever drive me like that again" She was stiff scared. i strongly believe that this ride will contest with the e36 318, e36 320i and win and would outsmart the e325i. Lets look at them:

e36 318i BMW
Engine Displacement 1,796 cc
Cylinders 4
Torque 168 Nm → 124 lb-ft (3,900 rpm)
Power Output 115 bhp (5,500 rpm)
Kilowatts 83 kW
Gearbox 4-speed Automatic
Performance and Economy
Top Speed 124 mph (200 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 12.30 sec.

e36 320i BMW
Engine Displacement 1,991 cc
Cylinders 6
Valves 24V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Torque 190 Nm → 140 lb-ft (4,200 rpm)
Power Output 150 bhp (5,900 rpm)
Kilowatts 109 kW
Gearbox 5-speed Automatic
Performance and Economy
Top Speed 133 mph (214 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 10.60 sec.

e36 325i
Engine Displacement 2,494 cc
Cylinders 6
Valves 24V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Torque 245 Nm → 181 lb-ft (4,200 rpm)
Power Output 192 bhp (5,900 rpm)
Kilowatts 139 kW
Gearbox 5-speed Automatic
Performance
Top Speed 144 mph (231 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 9.00 sec.

Can you see that on the horsepower and acceleration, and in me too as the dragoneer driver . Can you see why i cherish this 80's machine.
My Benz 190 is a super car, though my wife is using it now , cos she loves it so much with the auto gear system, the fancible mirror light and the cool ac. She has given her some few bruises now which i'm waiting for her to master too well before i revamp it again even with a 5 gear system and keep it solely as my travel ride, and would then pick BMW for her. I find it difficult to let go this ride

yungboss:

its actually this one in the video that you are talking about, that one is a 16 valve engine..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANv83OJk--4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcu5wvS1mvs
.I think you are missing something here the 8 valve Benz 190 1.8e has the following
Engine Displacement 1,797 cc
Cylinders 4
Torque 150 Nm → 111 lb-ft (3,700 rpm)
Power Output 109 bhp (5,500 rpm)
Kilowatts 79 kW
Gearbox 5-speed Manual
Top Speed 115 mph (185 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 12.70 sec.
I believe that is waht i stated up there

while those ones that comes with vboot 230 engine 190 230e has the following. Infact all of them now comes with vboot engine and a 2.6, 6 cylinder engine. One remarkable feature is their ability to do a turning circle of 10.6m almost like the 3 series BM that does 10.5m, while MB w202 does 10.7m and w203 10.8m

benz 190 230e
Engine Displacement 2,299 cc
Cylinders 4
Torque 205 Nm → 151 lb-ft (3,500 rpm)
Power Output 136 bhp (5,100 rpm)
Kilowatts 99 kW
Gearbox 5-speed Manual
Performance
Top Speed 126 mph (203 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 9.50 sec.

see 190 e 2.6. you can see that this is a super car, the manual version but not auto, auto is a mess. Have you now see the trick in the gear system. The more the gears, the better the performance and fuel efficiency and the less the maintenance cost. the rason why i want to change my 4 gear auto to five gear auto.

Engine Displacement 2,498 cc
Cylinders 4
Valves 16V DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Torque 235 Nm → 173 lb-ft (5,000 rpm)
Power Output 194 bhp (6,750 rpm)
Kilowatts 141 kW
Gearbox 5-speed Manual
Performance and Economy
Estimated New Price In:
Top Speed 143 mph (230 km/h)
Acceleration 0-60 mph 7.70 sec.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 6:03pm On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 6:05pm On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 12:29am On Sep 18, 2013
au.hanson:
entertainment time. check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sko9YHZfuMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeJP8FvDBCM
where do U reside?
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 7:18pm On Sep 18, 2013
Bossforeva: where do U reside?

I live in PH
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 8:41am On Sep 19, 2013
au.hanson:

Cylinders 4
Kilowatts 96 kW

Acceleration 0-60 mph in 10.70 sec. but later modification gave it Acceleration of 0-60 mph in (this is suppose to be) 8.40 sec. ,

am interested in that part,how did U achieve this?
Do u need to drill more holes and add clips for this or can the superpadded fit into the 190,when u must have removed the stripes and lower frames?
Plz if u can upload a picture of ur ride i'll appreciate.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 2:23pm On Sep 19, 2013
Bossforeva: am interested in that part,how did U achieve this?
Do u need to drill more holes and add clips for this or can the superpadded fit into the 190,when u must have removed the stripes and lower frames?
Plz if u can upload a picture of ur ride i'll appreciate.

Nop, you simply carefully remove the previous rulers and clips with a pair of pincers and screw driver . With the same hole aready given to you by MB you insert the new clips and clip back the pads to turn it padded as easy as that. But make sure you clean the those portions very well if they are dirty, and paint with anti rust if they are rusty before you reclips them back. If you chose nice pads you cant see the difference with follow come and they flush nicely . Normally, dark pads of the same color precedes light colours body paints. Like mine see picture below, you dont even need to paint the car if your painting is ok, i never repainted mine , the pad nor the car. I like them in that already made factory painting

Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 2:27pm On Sep 19, 2013
the front grill and traficator

Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by 190: 3:22pm On Sep 19, 2013
embarassed embarassed embarassed

look at you guys here discussing about me embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 20, 2013
190: embarassed embarassed embarassed

look at you guys here discussing about me embarassed embarassed
@au.hanson am doing that most definitely,my thoughts was that the pads comes in its unpainted black state just as most bumbers in the after market do..
Also do u recommend that i should replace the front bumbers,when u did that how much did it cost U?
@190,When are U upload ur 190 pics?
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 4:23pm On Sep 20, 2013
Bossforeva: @au.hanson am doing that most definitely,my thoughts was that the pads comes in its unpainted black state just as most bumbers in the after market do..
Also do u recommend that i should replace the front bumbers,when u did that how much did it cost U?

The pads are sold as aftermarkets spare parts. the bumpers then cost 35k, but i gave them 10k,now i learnt is 20k . What i actually did was to exchange my old bumpers, both front and back for theirs and added a little money to them, that is negotiable with the dealer.

The whole padding thing with the running board( see the pics below), the one benits the pad,(you know you need to change that too to make it original), the bumpers cost me about 40k then,

Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by 190theclown: 8:26pm On Sep 20, 2013
its on my iphone and i dont know how to upload pics from it on here
if you are on whatsapp then kindly drop your number i would send you pics of the car but ensure you
cover the plate number before uploading on here

deal
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by benz1x: 7:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
AU Hanson,

let me start by appreciating you. It is very encouraging to find people like you who are enthusiastic and willing to share their knowledge with others.

Thank you

To the others too who have helped one way or another, Smartchoice, Eyop, Gee, Kuntash, Siena, Cretin, Ikenna, Trac, Ziccoit and several others too numerous to mention, I say thank you also. Your comments, suggestions and criticisms have been very useful to a silent observer (myself) who has learnt a lot not only from the benz thread but from CarTalk as a whole.

As my username implies, I am a first time benz owner. There has been a VBoot in my family but I barely even entered it (driven it just a couple of times). I do know that its a rugged car however.

The benz I own is a c220 w202. I bought it on October 17th this year and I wish to keep the car running smooth.

A little information might be necessary. First, I bought the car off someone who has used it for a year. I believe the car is a 1999 Model (from the papers) but then I read someone say that the 220 series was discontinued in 1997.

Secondly the mileage of the car is about 210,000km.

Third, the guy that was using the car before me was servicing it with AP Super V 20w-50. Having seen all the write-ups concerning the proper oil, this has got me worried. Im wondering whether if I switch to synthetic (Mobil 1 0w-40) it wont loosen the gunk/sludge and cause the seals to leak oil into the combustion chamber.

Fourth, the guy who had the car before me connected the fans permanently (though I think he left the thermostat in as the thermostat housing doesnt show signs of being tampered with). At the end of the month I will look for a good rewire to see if I can get the fans back to their original state.

I just wanted to introduce the car to you guys so I can be properly advised. I will ask my questions in the next post.

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by benz1x: 7:24pm On Nov 14, 2013
My newbie questions

As you know, in Nigeria, OEM or manufacturer specific items may not be that easy to find hence the following questions

1)
What engine oil to use. I know Mobil 1 but I have not seen any mineral oil of 0w-40, 5w-40 or even 10w-40.

I know I should ordinarily use Mobil 1 0w-40 but because of the high mileage of the car 210,000, some are speculating that the oil will be too thin for the engine due to the wear and tear it must have accumulated over time and as a result, leakages will occur.

Is there any truth to this or can I just go ahead and use Mobil 1 0w-40. If I cant use Mobil 1, whats the next best available oil for me to use.

2)
What coolant to use? This was another controversial topic and I would like to learn from my Seniors in the W202 family what is good enough to run my baby.

3)
How often to replace the coolant

What brake fluid to use and how often to change it?

What steering fluid to use and how often to change it?

What Automatic Transmission Fluid to use and how often to change it? (mine is a manual transmission though)

What spark plugs to use and how often to change them. Also, what can be used if OEM plugs cannot be found? Can autolite plugs serve as a replacement?

How often should the MAF be cleaned or changed

How often should the fuel filter be changed

How often should the throttle body/ actuator be cleaned/changed.

What are the recommended tire sizes and PSI

Anything else I may have left out that is important.

PLEASE NOTE, I LIVE IN BENIN.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by auhanson(m): 6:55pm On Nov 15, 2013
benz1x: AU Hanson,

let me start by appreciating you. It is very encouraging to find people like you who are enthusiastic and willing to share their knowledge with others.

Thanks for the compliment ,i must say that i'm flattered and encouraged the more

benz1x: My newbie questions

As you know, in Nigeria, OEM or manufacturer specific items may not be that easy to find hence the following questions

1)
What engine oil to use. I know Mobil 1 but I have not seen any mineral oil of 0w-40, 5w-40 or even 10w-40.

I know I should ordinarily use Mobil 1 0w-40 but because of the high mileage of the car 210,000, some are speculating that the oil will be too thin for the engine due to the wear and tear it must have accumulated over time and as a result, leakages will occur.

Is there any truth to this or can I just go ahead and use Mobil 1 0w-40. If I cant use Mobil 1, whats the next best available oil for me to use.

Pls use mobil 1, 0w40. If that myths is correct, by now my benz 190 of over 6years of ownership with way far beyond 210,000 mileage that uses mobil 1 or total quarts 9000, 5w40 would have parked up by now, not to even mention my w202, c180 that i bought scrap and turn(restore) it to factory new. Don't even look at any bodies face; be rest assure that you would have a lot of discouragement just as you have stated ; even by the dealers of those oil and our local mechanic; but the usage of it will justify this decision. I am very very busy at the moment, but just attracted by your nice words and for the fact that you are enthusiastic about giving your car the best treatment , i wouldn't have the time to tell you all about the mobil1 or any other fully synthetic 0w40 , 5w40, or or MB specification sheet 295, then you would have been convinced beyond any reasonable doubt that you cannot be mistaken using these fully synthetic oil, cos you actually stand to gain more and so much by using it.Actually, you stand to lose nothing. Most importantly, you will never swap your engine, if you constantly uses it.
How i wish Trace could throw more light on this?.. in absence of non, what ever be the case, once i'm through with the urgent projects at hand,i'll give it a convincing treatment in this thread.

benz1x: 2)
What coolant to use? This was another controversial topic and I would like to learn from my Seniors in the W202 family what is good enough to run my baby.
3)
How often to replace the coolant

I wouldn't want to go into this issue of coolant again, because different school of thought understand it differently. Even distill water is recommended by MB to use in place of coolant. But if you were to ask me, what coolant i use? I will tell you that it is totall coolant, based on my research and observed usage over years with my 2 cars.

And you can replace them every year or two depending on some parameters

benz1x: 2)
What brake fluid to use and how often to change it?
What steering fluid to use and how often to change it?
What Automatic Transmission Fluid to use and how often to change it? (mine is a manual transmission though)
What spark plugs to use and how often to change them. Also, what can be used if OEM plugs cannot be found? Can autolite plugs serve as a replacement?

For steering fluid you can use dextron III , or the other the Mercedes Benz ATF

Also, i use the dextron III for my steering and Auto transmission fluid.. just drained and replaced for my 190 recently. It is adviceable to replace in about 4yearly interval

If you check the hood of your car you'll see the recommended spark plug for your model, and the allowable once too. Different MB model years comes with specific spark plugs. Some, like mine specify BOSCH, others specify STAR, and could allow CHAMPION, NGK etc.I uses bosch in my case, and it works perfect, star and ngk do normally underform in my case overtime,so i stick to bosh the recommended model.

If you do not find the original OEM, you can stick to the same barnd name found in our market(God knows where they got them from)cos they are quite cheap, about 1k for 4), which you and i know, but it must be the recommended brand , for efficiency and better performance.Once you start perceiving retardation , just change it for newer ones.

For the brake fluid , use the green fluid, that is recommended for MB, i'll find out the name again

benz1x:
How often should the MAF be cleaned or changed
How often should the fuel filter be changed
How often should the throttle body/ actuator be cleaned/changed.
What are the recommended tire sizes and PSI
The MAF must be cleaned once they are dirty and underperform your car.
Personally i change the the fuel filter,clean the throttle body at every servicing interval , and that is usually 1 year or 9 months

For your model, the recommended tyre size is 205/60/15 you can also use 225/55/16 and 225/45/17, this is the one i use in my MB 190 recently .
Though, i fault the rule here in my benz c180 by using 215/65/15 due to our bad state of road and also i actually want to gain more on the highway, that's why i go by that
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by benz1x: 8:11pm On Nov 15, 2013
Thank you for responding au.hanson.

On the issue of oil, I know all the discussions that went down on it as Ive been through the mercedes benz thread twice. I know the theoretical value of synthetic oils, but I wanted practical experience. Now that you have given me the go ahead, I will switch to mobil 1 0w-40 at the end of the month.

I also know the issue of coolant was controversial and never really settled. If I remember correctly, Trac said to avoid the green one and get something close to Zerex G05 by valvovine. The problem is that it is not readily available. Well, I guess I will go with what you are using then and change it every year or two.

I will look for Dextron III as I dont know what is in there currently. I will do this at the end of the month as well.

Please I am looking forward to the answers to the rest of the questions when you have the time.

Thanks, you are a great man.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 10:38pm On Nov 15, 2013
benz1x: Thank you for responding au.hanson.

On the issue of oil, I know all the discussions that went down on it as Ive been through the mercedes benz thread twice. I know the theoretical value of synthetic oils, but I wanted practical experience. Now that you have given me the go ahead, I will switch to mobil 1 0w-40 at the end of the month.

I also know the issue of coolant was controversial and never really settled. If I remember correctly, Trac said to avoid the green one and get something close to Zerex G05 by valvovine. The problem is that it is not readily available. Well, I guess I will go with what you are using then and change it every year or two.

I will look for Dextron III as I dont know what is in there currently. I will do this at the end of the month as well.

Please I am looking forward to the answers to the rest of the questions when you have the time.

Thanks, you are a great man.
Re: Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 15, 2013
Sad the 190e may be going, but i-will b having a kia cerato by nxt month. So may hav 2 tune it a lil bit 2 ma taste

(1) (2) (Reply)

Difference Between Camry 2007 Xle V6 And 2010 Xle V6 / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Large Wheels And Small Tyre Bezels / Autel, Launch And Other Car Diagnostics Equipments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.