Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,440 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? (32380 Views)

How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? / Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / I Read Computer Science In School But How Do I Venture Into Oil And Gas Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 14, 2013
Hello Jarus,
I stumbled on your post on a thread on oil and gas industry on Nairaland. I just need a career advice as I see you are an accountant. I’m a petroleum and gas graduate of a top Nigerian University. I finished my service in February this year and it’s been quite a struggle trying to penetrate the oil and gas industry since then. Luckily, I will be resuming with one of the big accounting firms soon, and already I’m beginning to consider building a financial career path with interest in the energy sector. Is this really a wrong move? A path of me thinks it’s too early (I’ve always had a soft spot for finance, I just want to be in the oil and gas sector, hence my choice of petroleum engineering).

Will I really be able to get into the oil and gas industry as an experienced hire after spending few years with this accounting firm or this is just me dreaming that 3 years accounting experience plus all the accounting certificates and trainings I will gain (possibly and MBA) will be more than enough to get me a financial role in d oil and gas industry? Or I should still continue strutting it out with the millions of engineering graduates trying to get into the energy sector? I just want to know if my newly created career path will pave way for me in about 2-3 years time into the oil and gas sector I’ve always craved for, and if it’s more than 80% possible maybe you could recommend any suitable MBA course that will be relevant to the petroleum industry.

http://www.jarushub.com/how-do-i-break-into-the-oil-gas-industry/
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Sep 14, 2013
Dear,

You’ve got a very interesting case there. But the good thing is, you’re already on track and my input will only be more of validation. Your plan is the route I would have advised even if you approached me as a first year undergraduate.

I like people that have plans for their post-school career right from their school days. I gained admission into university to study economics so as to become a banker, but somewhere along the line (around 200 level), I dropped that ambition and since then the only place I wanted to work was oil and gas industry. I was aware it was going to be competitive. That is the highest paying sector and it is only natural that almost every graduate will want to work there. I saw the competition ahead, I knew I needed to do something extra-ordinary to stand out from the competition. I knew thousands of people graduate with 2.1 every year, and everybody wants to join the sector. I burned midnight candles to ensure I made a First. While a First would not guarantee me automatic employment, it would at least get me invite for oil and gas company tests, now left for me to prove myself in the tests and interviews. Knowing the God factor in everything, that was also always one of my prayer points. To God be the glory, all my post-NYSC career has been in the industry, covering downstream, midstream and upstream. So I’m happy seeing someone that had similar plans.

Like I mentioned earlier, it is a highly competitive industry – thousands of graduates from Nigerian and overseas universities competing for few spaces. Given the nature of the industry – a technical industry – engineers, geologists and graduates of similar fields have the highest demand. But again, many of them are competing for relatively few spaces. So you have to be very hot to be able to compete and break into the technical window. For the support functions, like finance, commercial, HR etc, it is also competitive, but there are two factors that make them even more competitive: one, there are fewer support roles. A typical average oil and gas company may have 100 staff, 70 of them are technical guys (engineers, geologists etc), and the rest 30 shared by Finance (which may have like 20) and others like HR and Admin (10). So you can imagine the competition for these few spaces. Two, most oil companies actually prefer experienced hires for finance functions, they want you to hit the ground running, no time to train. There is also a third factor – though general – which is, most people hardly leave the oil and gas industry for another sector, you see people that have spent 30 years in Mobil, Shell etc, so there is a very low labour turnover rate, which makes openings very few. These factors account for the very stiff competition, moreso for support roles like Finance.

So I fully support your decision not to wait for the competition that will come with your petroleum engineering route, which is a technical route.

I don’t particularly support abrupt career change without passion, just to break into an industry, but since you said you have passion for finance, then I’m also with you on that. Good for you, you’ve already got a job in an accounting firm, one of the Big 4. You asked whether it’s too early to change your career path. Well, this is actually the best time to, if you want to. Interestingly, many big finance professionals also read engineering. I always mention that the Chief Finance Officer of one of Nigeria’s biggest oil companies actually had his first and second degrees in Mechanical Engineering, and he is a Finance guru today.

Go and start ICAN or ACCA immediately, and make the best of the training you will receive in that firm, which I know and indeed, the same firm some of my colleagues here trained. More than half of the job is done already, with your getting job in a Big 4 accounting firm. Try to waltz your way into being part of the energy sector group in the audit firm as that will make you part of teams that will be auditing oil companies and gives you exposure and network into the industry. After 2 – 3 years, by which time I expect you to have qualified as an accountant (chance of getting into oil industry finance role, especially upstream, without professional qualifications like ICAN or ACCA is as low as less than 10%), you then begin to throw your CV around, either through private network or public advertisements.

In fact, in my company – a fast growing independent company in the upstream sector - most people in the Finance department were from 3 of the Big 4: PwC, KPMG & Deloitte. Only few of us joined from other oil companies. That tells you that most organizations in the scetor prefer people trained in these big accounting firms.

So you’re already on track, just ensure you make the best use of the training opportunity in your new firm.

Lest I forget, did I mention 2-3 years there? Yes, for the big, more competitive IOCs, 2-3 years experience is still regarded as entry level and you are on track to be shortlisted for entry level roles there. But for others, it may take 4-5 years working experience in a big 4 accounting firm before you can get experienced level positions, which are what they usually seek for. In any case, start throwing your CV around after you are qualified.

All the best.

Jarus

http://www.jarushub.com/how-do-i-break-into-the-oil-gas-industry/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by kika41(m): 8:23pm On Sep 14, 2013
@jarus,plz am just a fresher in 1 of the prestigious federal universities in the country,department of petroleum and gas,plz I'll need some advice
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 14, 2013
kika41: @jarus,plz am just a fresher in 1 of the prestigious federal universities in the country,department of petroleum and gas,plz I'll need some advice

Send email to jarushub@gmail,com and check my blog: www.jarushub.com.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 14, 2013
Jarus:

Send email to jarushub@gmail,com and check my blog: www.jarushub.com.
Do paramedicals have any role to play in oil and gas industries.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by kika41(m): 10:14pm On Sep 14, 2013
@jarus,plz just drop d advice here 4 me
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 14, 2013
kika41: @jarus,plz just drop d advice here 4 me

Study well and make sure you make a good grade, preferably First Class.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by kika41(m): 11:06pm On Sep 14, 2013
Jarus plz which uni is the best for petroleum in nigeria
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by OMA4U(m): 12:06am On Sep 15, 2013
kika41: Jarus plz which uni is the best for petroleum in nigeria

You sure say you don enter school? People dey ask question sha. After dem don advise you, read well. U still ask for the best skul.

Thumbs up jawe, brother! Good will meet your needs as you're helping others out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Ujawissy: 11:03am On Sep 15, 2013
@Jarus, u are doing gr8 job here.I'm a civil eng student,do civil eng work in the oil and gas and what role do they play there.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by demelza: 4:23pm On Sep 16, 2013
kika41: @jarus,plz am just a fresher in 1 of the prestigious federal universities in the country,department of petroleum and gas,plz I'll need some advice
kika41: Jarus plz which uni is the best for petroleum in nigeria
Are you in school or not? Besides which school has a dept called petroleum and gas?

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 16, 2013
Jarus, what about those with Biology background undecided

1 Like

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Okijajuju1(m): 4:28pm On Sep 16, 2013
#Tagged...

I'll chip in later
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by ecolime(m): 4:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
Also in a similar situation. Thanks Jarus for this eye-opener.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by asids55: 4:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
if you sabi otedola nd. dangote..then you have no wahala
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by herbeytv(m): 4:31pm On Sep 16, 2013
Ujawissy: @Jarus, u are doing gr8 job here.I'm a civil eng student,do civil eng work in the oil and gas and what role do they play there.

So u don't know what they do ... Well , Write a letter to your school department for Orientation on ur chosen career.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by lacasa: 4:34pm On Sep 16, 2013
asids55: if you sabi otedola nd. dangote..then you have no wahala

Not omitting the politicians, god-fathers etc wink
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
buy new tank find the nearest nnpc pipe break it and fill the tank congratulation ur are the managing director of vandal$ and co group.no allow civil defence catch unless u go turn to oga at the top

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by persistenc(m): 4:40pm On Sep 16, 2013
Chainsaw, Tanker,Kegs.Oil n Gas Break season 1 wink
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by deepwater(f): 4:41pm On Sep 16, 2013
Emzybrown:
Do paramedicals have any role to play in oil and gas industries.

Yes paramedics can work in the oil and gas sector as HSE advisors and medics, even as RSTCs on rigs/platforms. Just get your acts right and viola!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by U235weapongrade: 4:44pm On Sep 16, 2013
@Jarus abeg give me connect for your coy naw... I'm a Mechanical Engineer

Should I also send u a Mail?
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by bootlegaz: 4:47pm On Sep 16, 2013
I hope trolls don't spoil this thread sad
@OP great contribution. If every Nigerian seeks employment in oil and gas industry, I doubt that country will survive a recession. Saudi Arabia is a major oil exporter yet they are not considered first world. America is the greatest economy today because of diversification, why can't our people emulate such?

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by israel007: 4:49pm On Sep 16, 2013
you don't need all these rich men someone mentioned above to start..

you can begin by facilitating deals and building your contacts home and abroad and you will have a good foundation,

1 Like

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by omonla555: 4:55pm On Sep 16, 2013
Go and join Okija Shrine
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by deepwater(f): 4:58pm On Sep 16, 2013
Ujawissy: @Jarus, u are doing gr8 job here.I'm a civil eng student,do civil eng work in the oil and gas and what role do they play there.

Yes civil engineers can work in the the oil and gas sector but you would not have the opportunity to carry out the main operations of a civil engineer, all those beam balancing theories, uniform displacement load analysis, stress/strain analysis etc is not essential in the day-to-day activities in the sector, you will have to go through intensive training in a more petroleum inclined part of engineering to fit in properly. But if I may ask why the craze for the oil and gas sector? You can do better in civil engineering (highway/construction/hydro) just know your onion bro you will see it all coming your way, I advice you visit the properties section on nairaland and see for yourself what folks like sergcy more, spyder880, brabus, am alone et al are doing there, I tell you, you will stick to civil engineering. Money aint everything that's the major difference between henry fayols and taylors principle of management. Goodluck brother

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Emiree: 4:59pm On Sep 16, 2013
Hi Jarus,

I love your posts. I hope it's ok to do you a mail on my peculiar career predicament soon, I will appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by passionate88: 5:02pm On Sep 16, 2013
I wan break into shell o, even nlng sef shey na oil nd gas dm dey deal with?.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:05pm On Sep 16, 2013
Booked I would be chipping in and learning here as well.
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by AnanseK(m): 5:10pm On Sep 16, 2013
1. Get in touch with Tompolo and enroll as an ex millitant.
2. Praise GEJ to high heavens and insult anyone who calls him "clueless".
3. Study the pipeline and return at night with empty drums and buckets to punture and drain - avoid matches (use torchlight)

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by CallMeFemi(m): 5:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
Well we enterprenures have nothing to do here!! Everybody wan enter oil & Gas!! Agriculture is the next big thing... Just wait and see... #TeamYoungEnterprenures ...

Nigerians can't diversify....everybody wants to walk that same path .... SMH for our youths!! Well I aint killing anyones dream here!! Just workhard you go make am!!

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by dsypha(m): 5:16pm On Sep 16, 2013
hehe, dis one dat everybody wan work for oil company!!! pls how about us dat are reading Industrial Chemistry any hope?
Re: How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 16, 2013
Jarus has said it all. Very good contribution, I must say.
But let me add a few things:

Even with a good grade and various certifications, it still takes a bit of luck, chance and timing to break into the oil and gas industry. I know a number of very sound first class engineering graduates still struggling to break into it. I wanna tell you that a lot of guys in the industry would sincerely tell you they were lucky break into the industry. But with hard work and favour on your side, you will smile at the end.

I must admit it's quite difficult to compete with the large number of engineering graduates for very few vacancies. But do keep that option open while you rigorously pursue breaking into the sector via your accounting experience. I have met a few graduates that have crossed over from banks/FCMG to join oil coys as engineers. I advise you to always take the interview stages one at a time. You will be surprised how far you will go.

It's important that you perform wherever you find yourself. Most recruiters are looking for professionals/graduates who can distinguish themselves or have a track record of performance, irrespective of the field of endeavour. So I advise you to make the best use of your opportunity right now. I never started out as an engineer in my sojourn in the labour market.

One last thing:even though first class has enormous advantages, you don't have to have a first class to get into the oil and gas industry. You just need to have a 2.1 and prove yourself in aptitude tests and interviews. Many first class graduates get screened out during these stages. So don't be discouraged in case you didn't make a first class.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Simple Jobs Unemployed Nigerians Can Do And Make Money On Fiverr / Valentine Ewudo Works With His Mother In The Same US Hospital / List Of Things You Are Entitled To By Law From Your Employer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.