Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,348 members, 7,808,218 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) (33440 Views)

How To Process Your Car Tinted Permit Plus My Experience / My Experience Checking Out Innoson Car / Help.......!,availability Of Spares For Passat 2.0T ( 2007 Model) In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by erico2k2(m): 2:56pm On Nov 13, 2014
shamecurls:

These same passat nearly ruined my boss bank account.
I used that car 2 years in the Uk and 3 years in Nigeria, it was a lovely car, you just need to treat her right and understand how it works.The person I sod it to still driving it till date.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Readonee35L(m): 4:35pm On Nov 13, 2014
This Is Serious ., I never came across this thread I would have adviced you too chill
When you buy a car with issues , you make research and not jumping to conclusions which you might later regret
That passat is a nice ride. And reliable.
Did you even try to scan the car ?
What if it was just a cheap sensor ?
A friend once bought that car for 300thousand naira from a owner, the owner parked it for over a year because no mechanic could fix it just like d same symptom with yours,
The man said he has tried many solutions,
My friend bought it,I inspected it ,Note: he is also a car enthusiast ,we connected a. New battery ,did an engine oil flush,replaced plugs,and gave it a clean wash in nd out
Gave it a start after d 3rd start it came alive
But so unstable with the faults d owner claimed , I scanned it, we saw the problem ,and we replaced them we spent 29,500 +300,000 that's 329,500
That car still runs fine from 2012 till date
I call That Car Blessing
Very sharp
I hope you learn something sha
...But next time
We have To Be patient in life to achieve
No Rushing ,

I remembered sometimes back when my car would keep on going off by its self , scanning it won't throw codes, my mech told me too change the ecu, I refused and told him d ecu wasn't the culprit
I got home and Opened the bonnet and did some troubleshooting , I kicked it and checked
I noticed that a paritcular cable was sparking because it wasn't fully inserted ,I inserted it well
Gbam ...that was all
So Every nairalander should take this as a lesson
Keep Calm

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by sultaan(m): 4:38pm On Nov 13, 2014
shamecurls:

These same passat nearly ruined my boss bank account.

No his ignorance almost ruin his bank account

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Readonee35L(m): 6:44pm On Nov 13, 2014
sultaan:

No his ignorance almost ruin his bank account
True
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by oweniwe(m): 9:14pm On Jan 27, 2015
oweniwe:
In 2010 when i was doing my I.T, there is VW passat that was parked in front of a house at d back of the office.... Exactly same same the one in the pix.

It has a very neat interior and exterior, fine Rims.... But Why was it parked there just like that? I used to wonder. Maybe the owner travelled abroad.

Four years after, the car is still in the same place. Only God knows how many years it has been parked there like that.

Siena:

i'm presently at kwale...
Went to the office to see my former boss...
Didnt forget about the car.... Still parked in same spot.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Readonee35L(m): 11:01pm On Jan 27, 2015
oweniwe:

Siena:

i'm presently at kwale...
Went to the office to see my former boss...
Didnt forget about the car.... Still parked in same spot.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by oweniwe(m): 12:25am On Jan 28, 2015
Readonee35L:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

i beg your pardom....
What's so funny.....??...
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by itzdimo(m): 1:11pm On Aug 23, 2017
Hahahahahahahahahha! I can't stop laughing.
So, I bought this same car my brother just complained about and I must say that the car is really a good one. I just have 2 problems: (1) availability of parts and (2) a good mechanic who can help me fix things that are wrong in the car.
So far, all the things that are already bad in this car were spoilt by road side mechanics. Please, can someone help me with any good mechanic precisely in Port Harcourt, Bayelsa, Enugu or Owerri
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by hoodboy(m): 7:49pm On Aug 23, 2017
itzdimo:
Hahahahahahahahahha! I can't stop laughing.
So, I bought this same car my brother just complained about and I must say that the car is really a good one. I just have 2 problems: (1) availability of parts and (2) a good mechanic who can help me fix things that are wrong in the car.
So far, all the things that are already bad in this car were spoilt by road side mechanics. Please, can someone help me with any good mechanic precisely in Port Harcourt, Bayelsa, Enugu or Owerri

Call richard in ph 08066882431, he's very sound

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Nobody: 10:27pm On Aug 23, 2017
Readonee35L:
This Is Serious ., I never came across this thread I would have adviced you too chill
When you buy a car with issues , you make research and not jumping to conclusions which you might later regret
That passat is a nice ride. And reliable.
Did you even try to scan the car ?
What if it was just a cheap sensor ?
A friend once bought that car for 300thousand naira from a owner, the owner parked it for over a year because no mechanic could fix it just like d same symptom with yours,
The man said he has tried many solutions,
My friend bought it,I inspected it ,Note: he is also a car enthusiast ,we connected a. New battery ,did an engine oil flush,replaced plugs,and gave it a clean wash in nd out
Gave it a start after d 3rd start it came alive
But so unstable with the faults d owner claimed , I scanned it, we saw the problem ,and we replaced them we spent 29,500 +300,000 that's 329,500
That car still runs fine from 2012 till date
I call That Car Blessing
Very sharp
I hope you learn something sha
...But next time
We have To Be patient in life to achieve
No Rushing ,

I remembered sometimes back when my car would keep on going off by its self , scanning it won't throw codes, my mech told me too change the ecu, I refused and told him d ecu wasn't the culprit
I got home and Opened the bonnet and did some troubleshooting , I kicked it and checked
I noticed that a paritcular cable was sparking because it wasn't fully inserted ,I inserted it well
Gbam ...that was all
So Every nairalander should take this as a lesson
Keep Calm
Very well said sir, I doff my hat to you. You are truly one patient man. And last I remembered Volkswagen uses a VAG scanner not your everyday scanners to pick up its codes.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by PrinceOgun: 11:03am On Aug 24, 2017
dumo1:

Very well said sir, I doff my hat to you. You are truly one patient man. And last I remembered Volkswagen uses a VAG scanner not your everyday scanners to pick up its codes.

Pls Are you The same admin of Viralpost on FB?
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 24, 2017
PrinceOgun:

Pls Are you The same admin of Viralpost on FB?
I used to be the admin of that page but I removed myself recently.
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by PrinceOgun: 1:49pm On Aug 24, 2017
dumo1:

I used to be the admin of that page but I removed myself recently.

I thought as much, my sister shared a post of yours to me, thats how i know you...Pls can I get in touch with you , we need to talk about something
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by captainking(m): 7:36pm On Aug 24, 2017
ziccoit:
@op
Anyone that reads your post and doesn't laugh should have an heart made of stone. grin grin grin
hahhaaha.. I laughed inside but kept a mean face
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 24, 2017
PrinceOgun:

I thought as much, my sister shared a post of yours to me, thats how i know you...Pls can I get in touch with you , we need to talk about something
Do add me up on facebook as Dumo Asechemie
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Joel3(m): 8:32pm On Aug 24, 2017
captainking:
hahhaaha.. I laughed inside but kept a mean face
no one laughs inside it's not possible. there must be facial reaction. lol
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by sultaan(m): 10:02pm On Aug 24, 2017
dumo1:

Every scanner that is obdii will scan any obdii car every manufacturer now has a scanner that will go deeper

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by komekn(m): 11:06pm On Aug 24, 2017
Ikenna, I'm laughing my head off at your response. grin grin grin

Engine communicating with the ECU via Bluetooth! Dang! My daughters think daddy's gone nuts, I'm crying with laughter.

I have listened to Sienna for near 10 years on this Forum. Your diction. sarcasm and even dry humour make think you are his twin brother.

I haven't heard from Sienna for ages.
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by captainking(m): 11:27pm On Aug 24, 2017
Joel3:
no one laughs inside it's not possible. there must be facial reaction. lol
for real boss.. I laughed inside but did not laugh outside... Wasn't in a nice mood to let the laugh escape
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 25, 2017
komekn:

I have listened to Sienna for near 10 years on this Forum. Your diction. sarcasm and even dry humour make think you are his twin brother.

I haven't heard from Sienna for ages.
Oga sienna left nairaland ooo or maybe he change his moniker.
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by komekn(m): 5:42pm On Aug 25, 2017
SAVEDBABA:
Oga sienna left nairaland ooo or maybe he change his moniker.

Cant understand why, the best thing that happened ever to the auto section in my opinion was Sienna.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by sooperrescue(m): 5:40am On Aug 26, 2017
Wonderful laugh I had this morning. I had a similar experience in 2006. Brand new passat bought in 2005. A year later, gearbox was jumping the gun on gear 3. Took it to the seller, no warranty for gearbox says lanre shittu. Took it to Vw center and new gearbox is 1.1 m. Haba, brand new car? Changed gearbox used for 650k bought at Owode, same problem, petitioned Vw Germany and they made Vw center to pick up the car but they could not detect the fault. I then took the car to a rewire who later detected the gear ecu as the problem. To compensate for their inadequacies, Vw center gave us discount for the ecu at 90k and the matter was resolved. They then decided to give the engine an overhaul for free, less than 10000kms, and discovered that 2 connecting rods were bent. Engine drips water and very quiet when you start it. The long story is that by 2008, the same issue kept reoccuring and I eventually abandoned it to a mechanic who claimed I was owing him 150k for repairs that did not work. My experience and observations are, the vw brand is not good for Nigeria. The fuel we have does not work well with the brand. You will hear tales by moonlight with your Vw. No matter how adept the mech is, the Vw is best served parked away than being on the road.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 26, 2017
sooperrescue:
Wonderful laugh I had this morning. I had a similar experience in 2006. Brand new passat bought in 2005. A year later, gearbox was jumping the gun on gear 3. Took it to the seller, no warranty for gearbox says lanre shittu. Took it to Vw center and new gearbox is 1.1 m. Haba, brand new car? Changed gearbox used for 650k bought at Owode, same problem, petitioned Vw Germany and they made Vw center to pick up the car but they could not detect the fault. I then took the car to a rewire who later detected the gear ecu as the problem. To compensate for their inadequacies, Vw center gave us discount for the ecu at 90k and the matter was resolved. They then decided to give the engine an overhaul for free, less than 10000kms, and discovered that 2 connecting rods were bent. Engine drips water and very quiet when you start it. The long story is that by 2008, the same issue kept reoccuring and I eventually abandoned it to a mechanic who claimed I was owing him 150k for repairs that did not work. My experience and observations are, the vw brand is not good for Nigeria. The fuel we have does not work well with the brand. You will hear tales by moonlight with your Vw. No matter how adept the mech is, the Vw is best served parked away than being on the road.
Na wa o! this your story just weak me I swear, assuming you be one old baba like that, na so high bp for just visit you when you didn't ask for it all cos of one German motor. God forbid. it shall never be your portion.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by 9icetoo(m): 7:55am On Aug 26, 2017
Without a vagcom, most technicians will be making random guesses when trying to fix a Vw.
Ordinary scanners can only perform surface level diagnostics which are often misleading sending you on a wild goose xhaee with a lot of money going down the drain.
Vw should as a matter of urgency train and equip some select roadside workshops else their brand will never be fully embraced in Nigeria.
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by sooperrescue(m): 8:14am On Aug 26, 2017
dumo1:

Na wa o! this your story just weak me I swear, assuming you be one old baba like that, na so high bp for just visit you when you didn't ask for it all cos of one German motor. God forbid. it shall never be your portion.
Amen o, but the experience is an eye opener. I have been observing lately that the brand is no more on the road. I have a vw Touareg 2012 model in the workshop. No critical parts available for the car. Fuel has ruined the car and it was taken away from vw center when they were telling the owner that many things related to the fuel line should be changed. The Md of Stallion Motors back then made me realise that er dont have fuel for these German cars. The only exception is the Porsche sold in Nigeria. That brand uses regular unleaded. Even Skoda, Audi are all in the same wahala with Vw.
9icetoo:
Without a vagcom, most technicians will be making random guesses when trying to fix a Vw.
Ordinary scanners can only perform surface level diagnostics which are often misleading sending you on a wild goose xhaee with a lot of money going down the drain.
Vw should as a matter of urgency train and equip some select roadside workshops else their brand will never be fully embraced in Nigeria.
It is not the scanner that is the issue, it is the car. 2006 vw touareg was sold for 600k the othet day. I was once offered a 2008 passat for 400k and i told the seller to keep his car. There was a review about the car in 2006 and it states that the entry level is cheap but the means to stay on the road is exhorbitant. It is like oil workers, two weeks on the road, two weeks off the road but in Nigeria, it is three days on the road and three months off the road.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 26, 2017
sooperrescue:
Amen o, but the experience is an eye opener. I have been observing lately that the brand is no more on the road. I have a vw Touareg 2012 model in the workshop. No critical parts available for the car. Fuel has ruined the car and it was taken away from vw center when they were telling the owner that many things related to the fuel line should be changed. The Md of Stallion Motors back then made me realise that er dont have fuel for these German cars. The only exception is the Porsche sold in Nigeria. That brand uses regular unleaded. Even Skoda, Audi are all in the same wahala with Vw. It is not the scanner that is the issue, it is the car. 2006 vw touareg was sold for 600k the othet day. I was once offered a 2008 passat for 400k and i told the seller to keep his car. There was a review about the car in 2006 and it states that the entry level is cheap but the means to stay on the road is exhorbitant. It is like oil workers, two weeks on the road, two weeks off the road but in Nigeria, it is three days on the road and three months off the road.
Even small country like Ghana sells premium motor spirit/fuel so why can't nigeria as a country import this motor spirit into the country? Those that buy and drive rolls royce cars how do they cope with the contaminated fuel in their vehicles cos I heard it requires premium motor spirit too?
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by sooperrescue(m): 12:25pm On Aug 26, 2017
The corruption in the system will not allow it. But Dangote has promised that his refinery will produce high grades of petroleum and so we wait patiently. That is why Corolla is selling for 17m because they know that Nigerians are patiently waiting for the fuel for us to buy our desired vehicles. The rolls royce is not an everyday car, hence it will compensate for the low octane fuel by reducing the power and increasing fuel consumption. I believe those who owns one dont bother about fuel consumption. That vehicle is a liability to the owners. I remember that I was once asked to bring a Rolls Royce from Ife to Lagos by towing because the car was due for service which must be done in Lagos. Ordinary service, the car must be towed down to Lagos and you now ask, how much is the service going to cost?

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by locutas: 2:04pm On Aug 26, 2017
sooperrescue:

I disagree with your conclusion. How exactly does petrol retailed in Nigeria which you claim "does not work well with the brand" have anything to do with the issues you put up? You did mention a transmission issue didn't you?

I have used a number of Audi vehicles which are from the same VAG brand and besides a failed instrument cluster (which was my fault), and a failed ECU relay, my vehicles have NEVER required anything other routine maintenance in over 7 years of using them and everything works perfectly. I sometimes use my VAGCOM to perform adaptations just for the heck of it.

I'd really like to believe that you're just misinformed, but the finality with which you concluded leads me to believe you're simply lying about a brand you appear to not know much about. I mean you did say "no matter how adept a mechanic is, VWs should be parked rather than driven". That to me is a testament to your incompetence. If you are the one that was at the Oando gas station in CBD Abuja, I'm justified in my conclusion.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by 9icetoo(m): 3:35pm On Aug 26, 2017
locutas:

I disagree with your conclusion. How exactly does petrol retailed in Nigeria which you claim "does not work well with the brand" have anything to do with the issues you put up? You did mention a transmission issue didn't you?

I have used a number of Audi vehicles which are from the same VAG brand and besides a failed instrument cluster (which was my fault), and a failed ECU relay, my vehicles have NEVER required anything other routine maintenance in over 7 years of using them and everything works perfectly. I sometimes use my VAGCOM to perform adaptations just for the heck of it.

I'd really like to believe that you're just misinformed, but the finality with which you concluded leads me to believe you're simply lying about a brand you appear to not know much about. I mean you did say "no matter how adept a mechanic is, VWs should be parked rather than driven". That to me is a testament to your incompetence. If you are the one that was at the Oando gas station in CBD Abuja, I'm justified in my conclusion.
you have vagcom?
can I mess around with it a lil?
please tell me you are in pH.
Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by sooperrescue(m): 3:50pm On Aug 26, 2017
locutas:

I dont have much to say than to tell you to read again. The car was my car not a client' s car and the people that sold it to me was Lanre shittu and the people that took it for repairs was vw center and I was not the rewire that detected the fault. Therein lies your stupidity. If you have vagcom, did vw center tell you they dont have also? If yours drives well, count yourself lucky but I guess you did not buy the 2.0 passat in 2005 when it wad in vogue, so talk about your experience and let others learn from how you overcame yours but ask around from the owners of the brand, how they are faring with their Vws and take a trip to Gbagada and see for yourself and you will conclude by yourself that you made your stupidity very obvious.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 26, 2017
locutas:

Bros.i want to seat on the fence here by that i mean i am not partisan on how good or bad vw cars are.but i want you to remember that once in this country Bora vw was everywhere.where ate they today.
This remind me of my Dad Audi 5000s in mid 90s
the old man bought the car directly from the us.in fact my Aunt in the Us refused to relsese the car because she enjoyed the car so much.is it beauty,Ac fuel Economy every thing was bam.the day the car was to be sent to Nija they have to go and forcefully collect the key from her to take to the port.
The Car came to Nigeria and became another story all together.the car will spend 2 weeks at home and 3 weeks at the mechanics workshop.the best you can find in those days at Alapere ketu.Every time Old man goes to the state he comes with a full suitcase of Spate Part.At the End of the day the car was given to the mechanic in exchange for is workmanship.I noyiced then that though the brand Aufi 5000s was visibly present on Lagos roaf then it disappeared one after the other.If our fuel was not the problem then something must be.After the Almighty Vw Beetle.Danfo and the early Passat.most of their new product though beauty to behold are not Nija friendly.reason i font know

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos : Accident Leads To Fight Between BRT Staff And Car Owner In Lagos / Please Tell Me About This Car / Chinese Man Create Lamborghini Replica For $10,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.