Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,033 members, 7,799,514 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (34583 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Common Grammatical Tautologies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 9:02am On Sep 17, 2013
JMOI: Bending corner is wrong as a noun but correct as a verb, that is, to bend a corner.
Thx bros .
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 9:05am On Sep 17, 2013
wabbyland: @jmoi, which of this expressions is correct? A. He's now a nurse
B.he's a nurse now
"He's now a nurse" means that he wasn't a nurse before, but he has become a nurse. While "he's a nurse now" means that he's a nurse at the moment, but that status could change in the near future.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 9:16am On Sep 17, 2013
ugbana-nte:

The english language is noot devoid of logic sir, technically, d day is 24 hrs and that means it ends exactly whn the 3 or 2 legs(depending oon the clock) meet at 12 for d second time. So, d day doesn't end at 11:59 sir. Whn these legs meet as said earlier, d next movement of the 'second' leg begins a new day. So, logically, 12 midnit is correct as well as 12 noon is too.
The day ends when the clock strikes 11:59:59 (that's what I meant when I said 11:59) and begins at 12:00:00. I guess you have used a stopwatch before, at what point does it start, 00:00:00 or 59:59:59? I bet you should know better now. Midnight (12:00:00) marks the beginning of the day, not the end of it.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by cosfrac: 9:21am On Sep 17, 2013
Diff lecturers with diff lectures on English language,pls let's better start teaching ourselves our own dialect as chinese,france,japanese,arabians etc and stop focusing on English
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 9:41am On Sep 17, 2013
claim-me:
Grammarians in the house, pls teach me on the proper way of using "as it were".
"As it were" is the same thing as "so to speak". So, anywhere you can use "so to speak" you can use "as it were".
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by kefmawin: 10:08am On Sep 17, 2013
This is one of the most reasonable things I have seen in recent times in Naira Land.

This is a productive exercise and should be encouraged instead of some of the vain gangling, gossips, misinformation, unkind and unintelligent criticisms plus character assassination that have been the order of the day.

Keep it up...

4 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Godschild2(m): 10:09am On Sep 17, 2013
afortress: i'd rather stick with the bad english, for my mum to have that what a heck is he talking about look after i finish talking... Nice funny thread

Lol! Then I think it's better you stick to your local language...grin
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by chikk(f): 10:18am On Sep 17, 2013
JMOI: Could, would and should are in the past tense, while the other ones are in the present tense. Also, the first group can be used when you want to do something, but you are not sure if you will be able to do it.

Op, I must commend your thread. Its really educating. But if 'can', 'will' and 'shall' are present tenses, then which ones are future?

Na wa o! So many lecturers in the room!
some peeps be like: (@Op, don't go correcting me here o, this is slogan!)
'Op, what's this/that', 'op, is this right/wrong', etc

I don't understand some people sometimes. Most of you have been harbouring these misconceptions for long, yet, you can't take a minute to ask google and you sleep and wake on NL? I guess you're waiting for mr OP the lecturer to come and clear it all, whom as it seems, got more than he asked for when he said; "ask your questions".

Even some of the so called lecturers are giving us 'heavy blunders'. Some people claim they can't take time to go through the 'corrections', yet, the single comment they posted has the same error they 'don't have time to read' and correct.

Ok na. Me sef na learner. I'm also learning. Oya make una pieces my post for errors. I want corrections biko. I'm not too old for it

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by clicky90: 10:22am On Sep 17, 2013
[quote author=JMOI]"As it were" is the same thing as "so to speak". So, anywhere you can use "so to speak" you can use "as it were".

Pls break it down, when do we use "so to speak" too?
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by HCF(m): 10:24am On Sep 17, 2013
Nicco-C:
dis reminds me of an argument i ws havin wit a frnd. he said "the boy has ran away" and i was trying to correct him that it should b "run" not "ran". ah dnt normally make stupid arguments buh ah jst wntd 2 prove him wrong though he never admitted defeat.

shows u how far people will go 2 avoid learnin. nd pple will try 2 claim that our educational system is in shambles.

smh
.....our educational system is in a shambles NOT our educational system is in shambles.
The word shambles is always used with article 'a' despite its 'plural' nature.

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 11:12am On Sep 17, 2013
kefmawin: This is one of the most reasonable things I have seen in recent times in Naira Land.

This is a productive exercise and should be encouraged instead of some of the vain gangling, gossips, misinformation, unkind and unintelligent criticisms plus character assassination that have been the order of the day.

Keep it up...
Thank you for the compliment.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 11:20am On Sep 17, 2013
H.C.F:

.....our educational system is in a shambles NOT our educational system is in shambles.
The word shambles is always used with article 'a' despite its 'plural' nature.
l
Hahaha! I like that
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Originalsly: 11:37am On Sep 17, 2013
1. Who will bail the cat.....instead of who will bell the cat.
2. I warned him severally not to blah blah blah .... instead of I warned him several times not to blah...
3. I love him so much and don't want to loose him..... Who is forcing you to untie him?
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by exago(m): 11:54am On Sep 17, 2013
JMOI: English is not all about speaking it, but getting everything about it right.

Below are some of the most
common and most annoying
mistakes people make on a daily basis when using English to communicate.

“Popular Celebrity”

One has to wonder what makes one a celebrity in the first place. Can a person be said to be a celebrity
without being at least remotely famous? Using this description is similar to using other tautological phrases such as “a young child” (who
is a child?) and “the cheapest
price” (what is a price?).

“I’m vs Am”

The frequency at which this is used will make one believe that it is actually correct. It is presently the most common grammatical error in the English language; being used by people everywhere and every time.

“Am” cannot be used in place of “I’m because they are not the same. What people write as “am” is actually “I’m” which is a contraction for “I
am”. The confusion here arises, because they sound alike. Well, they don’t really sound alike if you listen carefully. Now, let’s try this
pronunciation exercise. “Am” is pronounced “arrrgh-m”, while “I’m” is pronounced “arrrgh-im”.

Understood? I hope so. “Am” is solely dependent on “I” and cannot stand on its own. It either comes before or after the pronoun “I”. So, the next
time you send a message to
someone on Facebook or compose a tweet, don’t embarrass yourself, use
“I’m” instead of “am”.

Credits:
http://observerreports.com/2013/09/most-annoying-common-grammatical-errors-in-english/

Will need explaining, I am & I'm - whats wrong please, ain't they the same.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Occurstaem(m): 11:56am On Sep 17, 2013
May God be pleased with you @Ops,thanks and God bless you.Let these keep coming.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Occurstaem(m): 12:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
exago:

He didn't say they are different,try to comprehend and read the post again.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Occurstaem(m): 12:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
exago:

The Ops didn't say they are different,try to comprehend and re-read his post again.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Timijo(m): 12:08pm On Sep 17, 2013
I have read everything from page one to page five, and I have learnt more things in english language. I still desire to learn more.
The only question I have is the use of tenses with this verb, ''bless''.

The Tenses rules

1. The singular of verbs are formed by the addition of ''s'', ''es'', or ''ies'' as the case may be. E.g. Goes, comes, etc.
The above verbs can only be used with singular noun or pronoun.
E.g. John goes to school.
He goes to school.
2. The following verbs go, come, eat, bless, etc are plural verbs in present tense form. They are to be used with plural noun or pronoun.

Why did people say, ''God bless you?'' I thought it should be ''God blesses you'' since God is a singular noun.
Please clarify this.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 12:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
[quote author=clicky90][/quote]Well, you can use either of them when you have made a figurative statement and you want to tell the person you are addressing that what you said should not be taken or understood literally. For example, a mother can say of his son, "He's very close to me, he's my handbag, so to speak." Another example, "In preparation for the semi-final match, the training ground has become his home, as it were."
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 12:19pm On Sep 17, 2013
Occurstæm: May God be pleased with you @Ops,thanks and God bless you.Let these keep coming.
Thanks for that. And thanks for explaining to exago what I meant.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 12:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
Timijo: I have read everything from page one to page five, and I have learnt more things in english language. I still desire to learn more.
It's good to hear that.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by APRIDE(m): 12:35pm On Sep 17, 2013
I love this, I really do. You guys should also take note of this as I believe more than 90% well educated Nigerians make this mistake. The use of 'he or she' when the gender of a person is unknown. It should be noted that plural pronoun should be used instead of the common use of 'he or she'. Let's look at some examples: If anybody comes looking for me, tell them (not him or her) to wait. Although anybody in this context refers to one person, since the gender is not known, a plural pronoun is advisable.
If any of you does that, i will kill them (not him or her), If anybody comes forward with the answer, i will give them something special, Any of you that confesses will be forgiven their treason, If anybody fails this exam, they will go.

I have taken time to go through some past WAEC and JAMB questions in English and have come across questions relating to this problem. My guess is almost all the students may seek solution from wrong principles. Let's keep learning.

3 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Timijo(m): 12:35pm On Sep 17, 2013
The only question I have is the use of tenses with with this verb, ''bless''.

The Tenses rules

1. The singular of verbs are formed by the addition of ''s'', ''es'', or ''ies'' as the case may be. E.g. Goes, comes, etc.
He goes to school.
2. The following verbs go, come, eat, bless, etc are plural verbs in present tense form. They are to be used with plural noun or pronoun.

Why did people say, ''God bless you?'' I thought it should be ''God blesses you'' since God is a singular noun.
Please clarify this.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by APRIDE(m): 12:46pm On Sep 17, 2013
Also note the diffence between 'cannot' and 'can not'. You will observe that the former is written together whilst the latter is separated. 'cannot' expresses impossibility whilst 'can not' brings more to the ability of something. Paradoxical, isn't it? Examples: Daniel cannot do the job. This means that Daniel does not have the ability to do the job, therefore, he cannot do it. On 'can not', we can have: Daniel can not only do the job, but can head the department. Here, it means that Daniel is excemptional, he can do the job very well and can even go as far as heading the department.

Trust this helps.

3 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by laplace19(m): 1:05pm On Sep 17, 2013
JMOI: It should go with a past tense. Just like "Have you brushed your teeth?"

Thanks,bro....but one more thing

Since "have you" goes with a past verb,can one say "Have you ate"?

The sentence does not even sound well,but "Have you eaten"? Sounds correct.

"Eaten" is a past participle.... With this now,I think "have you" should go with past participle form of verbs,and for those verbs that do not have their past participle,the "have you" should then go with their past verbs.

Do you agree with me,sir?
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Ratty101(m): 1:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
You just give us more.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Ratty101(m): 1:15pm On Sep 17, 2013
laplace19:

Thanks,bro....but one more thing

Since "have you" goes with a past verb,can one say "Have you ate"?

The sentence does not even sound well,but "Have you eaten"? Sounds correct.

"Eaten" is a past participle.... With this now,I think "have you" should go with past participle form of verbs,and for those verbs that do not have their past participle,the "have you" should then go with their past verbs.

Do you agree with me,sir?
Yes I do
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Gbengard(m): 1:42pm On Sep 17, 2013
There's nothing like "Talkless", the better english is "Let Alone"

2 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by piagetskinner(m): 1:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
JMOI: Well, that's it. You can add yours or ask questions if you need clarifications.
Nice one bro!....is it correct to use this sentence "the doctor with whom I was referred to you by, said...."
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by sammoe(m): 3:27pm On Sep 17, 2013
mustaphagreens:
Pidgin english? No,that's wrong! pidgin is a language and so it's expected that u either use/say pidgin or pidgin language and not pidgin English because English has no other type called pidgin aside British and American. I hope my point was clear.
Hi. You are actually incorrect. There's actually a notion (or language) as 'Pidgin English'. In fact, there are quite a number of pidgins (e.g. French,English,Portuguese).
Our pidgin (Nigerian Pidgin English) is one of several English based pidgins. Others include those spoken in Ghana, Sierra Leone &Haiti. The latter two speak what is technically called a Creole.

NB A pidgin is a language variety which has developed for practical purposes like trading among groups of people in contact but with different native languages.

@OP Thanks. I repeatedly get ticked off when I come across such grammatical blunders.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by mcro: 3:46pm On Sep 17, 2013
Timijo: The only question I have is the use of tenses with with this verb, ''bless''.

The Tenses rules

He goes to school.

Please clarify this.

'God bless you' is the shorten form of "May God bless you". The "May" is often omitted but it is generally understood. Thanks.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Oddsam(m): 4:44pm On Sep 17, 2013
hi, when do I use 'has' and 'have' in a sentence?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Which City Has The Highest Number Of Universities In Nigeria? / How To Make A First Class Or Distinction In School / How A Young Man, Jesse Gideon Abraham Was Killed By His Roommate At Uniuyo (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.