Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,140 members, 7,807,458 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:48 PM

Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (34590 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Common Grammatical Tautologies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by prettystacy(f): 5:08pm On Sep 17, 2013
Educative! #Thumbs up#. I hear this a lot; 'character assassination' the right thing is defamation not assassination
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 6:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
laplace19:

Thanks,bro....but one more thing

Since "have you" goes with a past verb,can one say "Have you ate"?

The sentence does not even sound well,but "Have you eaten"? Sounds correct.

"Eaten" is a past participle.... With this now,I think "have you" should go with past participle form of verbs,and for those verbs that do not have their past participle,the "have you" should then go with their past verbs.

Do you agree with me,sir?
Actually, "have" is used with the past participle and not the simple past. In the construction: Have you brushed ... "brushed" is actually the past participle form of "brush" and not the simple past form of the word.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by dom(m): 6:26pm On Sep 17, 2013
1)The word "severally" does not mean mean several times. It means individually, one by one. As seen in " you all are jointly & severally responsible for the mishap". I find the misuse of this word to be very common. Even respected media houses arent left out,
both print&electronic.
2)It is wrong to say "can be able" or "can't be able". "Can" means "to be able".
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 17, 2013
Oddsam: hi, when do I use 'has' and 'have' in a sentence?

In English, there are three "persons": the 1st (I, we), 2nd (you) and 3rd persons (he, she, it, Ada, they). The examples in brackets above are all in the subjective case. We also have the objective case: 1st person (me, us) and the possessive case: 1st person (my, our). It is, indeed, quite complex.

With regard to your question, use "has" only with the 3rd person singular. Examples:
He has bought ...
She has done ...
It has not been ...
Ada has just ...

In all other cases (1st person singular or plural; 2nd person singular or plural; 3rd person plural), use "have". Examples:
I have bought ...
We have done ...
You have not ...
They have just ...

Hope you don't find this too technical.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
Some other common errors:
If was sent on exile. (He was sent into exile.)

I will pay instalmentally. (I will pay in instalments.) Instalmentally is NOT a word.

Is he a boy or a girl? (Is it a boy or a girl?)

She is good in biology. (She is good at biology.)
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 17, 2013
Some other common errors:
Excuse, could you ... (Excuse me, could you ...)

He has not been opportuned to ... (He has not got an opportune moment to ...) opportuned is NOT a word!

He is enjoying. (He is enjoying himself/it) enjoy, just like resemble, is a transitive verb and must be used with an object.

She is a talkative. (She is talkative/ she is a talkative girl).

He asked a favour from me. (He asked a favour of me)

Repent from your sins. (Repent of your sins)
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by lathyph: 7:38pm On Sep 17, 2013
Well done job @OP
d_myke: Some other common errors:
If was sent on exile. (He was sent into exile.)

I will pay instalmentally. (I will pay in instalments.) Instalmentally is NOT a word.

Is he a boy or a girl? (Is it a boy or a girl?)

She is good in biology. (She is good at biology.)
could u pls back it up with grammatical rules "is it a boy or girl" n using TH after writting month or day in word........thanks in anticipation!
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 9:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
laplace19:

Thanks,bro....but one more thing

Since "have you" goes with a past verb,can one say "Have you ate"?

The sentence does not even sound well,but "Have you eaten"? Sounds correct.

"Eaten" is a past participle.... With this now,I think "have you" should go with past participle form of verbs,and for those verbs that do not have their past participle,the "have you" should then go with their past verbs.

Do you agree with me,sir?
Yeah, you are very correct, that was what I had in mind, but ended up typing another thing. You know how these things are, when you are trying to answer a lot of questions. It should be past participle. "Brushed" is the past tense of brush and also its past participle. There is nothing like "brushen".
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 9:22pm On Sep 17, 2013
d_myke:
Actually, "have" is used with the past participle and not the simple past. In the construction: Have you brushed ... "brushed" is actually the past participle form of "brush" and not the simple past form of the word.
Yep
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 9:26pm On Sep 17, 2013
d_myke: Some other common errors:
Excuse, could you ... (Excuse me, could you ...)

He has not been opportuned to ... (He has not got an opportune moment to ...) opportuned is NOT a word!

He is enjoying. (He is enjoying himself/it) enjoy, just like resemble, is a transitive verb and must be used with an object.

She is a talkative. (She is talkative/ she is a talkative girl).

He asked a favour from me. (He asked a favour of me)

Repent from your sins. (Repent of your sins)
Nice one there
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Thebrightest(m): 9:29pm On Sep 17, 2013
Manys cellebrity cannots spoke gooder english thats becauses of they is not very enducated.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 9:35pm On Sep 17, 2013
piaget+skinner:

Nice one bro!....is it correct to use this sentence "the doctor with whom I was referred to you by, said...."
I don't understand the example you gave. You can say, "The doctor, who referred me to you, said..." It is "who", not "whom" (in the example that I gave), because "the doctor" was the first person that was mentioned in the sentence and he's the one the sentence was built around; I was reporting what the doctor said.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 17, 2013
1.Obansanjo is an alumni of Open University....shouldn't it have been he is an alumnus?

2.This is the only criteria.......should be the only criterion.

3.I am in a haste.....should be I am in haste.

4.Get him on phone...should be get him on the phone.

5.He is a military personnel...should be he is a military officer (personnel and staff are used for a group of people).

6.This is more better....it should be this is much better.

7.I do this everyday....should be I do this every day.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 10:15pm On Sep 17, 2013
H.C.F:

.....our educational system is in a shambles NOT our educational system is in shambles.
The word shambles is always used with article 'a' despite its 'plural' nature.
l

What do you say on these:http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/shambles.html?
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by yame014: 11:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
@OP...pls what's the difference between "can" and "could"...as in

1. you "could" write this on your site...
2. you "can" write this on your site...
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 12:16am On Sep 18, 2013
lathyph: Well done job @OP
could u pls back it up with grammatical rules "is it a boy or girl" n using TH after writting month or day in word........thanks in anticipation!

Second question first; do you mean writing “th” as in 13th? If this is what you mean, then you’re talking about Ordinal Numbers (words representing rank or position). In the past, it was quite common to find ordinal numbers written in superscript (elevated above the baseline as in 13th and 3rd). However, the convention these days is for everything to be written on the same baseline as in 13th and 3rd. If this was not what you had in mind, then I hope you clarify.

First question; again contemporary convention demands that gender-neutral pronouns be used where the gender of a noun is unknown (this has been discussed above). So, we say: Tell the student that took it to bring their mother to school. In the past, it was the norm to use a masculine pronoun even if gender was unknown. However, with the rise of feminism, this practice was abandoned. For a time, female pronouns were even used where the gender was unknown. Him/her and he/she have always been clumsy, so the use of gender-neutral pronouns is really the best we can do. For now at least.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by ChiSun27(m): 6:11am On Sep 18, 2013
I had to read from page one to six to make sure I grasp all...Thanks to you OP and all those that intellectually contributed.

But I will still like you guys to shine more light on "cannot" and "can not".

Thanks.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 18, 2013
ChiSun27: I had to read from page one to six to make sure I grasp all...Thanks to you OP and all those that intellectually contributed.

Thanks.

I would still like you......use would instead of will.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 8:56am On Sep 18, 2013
Vonwolf: You can't eat your cake and have it vs you can't have your cake and eat it...

The second one is correct.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by lathyph: 11:56am On Sep 18, 2013
To shed more light not shine light......am also a learner,though!
ChiSun27: I had to read from page one to six to make sure I grasp all...Thanks to you OP and all those that intellectually contributed.

Thanks.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by laplace19(m): 6:23pm On Sep 18, 2013
JMOI: Yeah, you are very correct, that was what I had in mind, but ended up typing another thing. You know how these things are, when you are trying to answer a lot of questions. It should be past participle. "Brushed" is the past tense of brush and also its past participle. There is nothing like "brushen".

Lolz...ok,understood

I'm very happy for this...have really learnt a lot...and I must say.....GOOD ENGLISH dey sweet die grin grin

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by lathyph: 7:25pm On Sep 18, 2013
Some one should kindly help(grammatical rules) with the correct usage of "WITH" "AND"
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 1:02am On Sep 19, 2013
lathyph: To shed more light not shine light......am also a learner,though!

Cannot and can not are both correct expressions, and mean the same thing. You should note that "cannot" is almost always used instead of can not. "Can not" is sometimes used for emphasis as in:
I can not agree to that. (Where you wish to stress the negative marker "not"wink.

In addition, can not is preferred to cannot where "not" forms part of another construction within the sentence as in:
I can not only buy it, I can buy all of them.

Aside from these two cases, always write cannot instead of can not.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 3:56pm On Sep 23, 2013

Thanks.
That's very good.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Alhasan1(m): 5:36pm On Sep 23, 2013
Please try to shed light on these: corner and road bend
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 10:35am On Sep 24, 2013
Al-hasan:
Please try to shed light on these: corner and road bend
Corner can be just any bend, but a road bend specifically means where the road bends. I hope this's what you were looking for.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by tunnex190: 8:04am On Sep 27, 2013
Nice thread. Can we have someone to explain these words 'a few, few, a little, little?'
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by busuyem: 10:26am On Sep 27, 2013
'a few' simply means many but it attracts singular verb while 'many' attracts plural verb. They're both used with countable noun. Few denotes limited quantity of things. It is also used with countable noun.

On the other hand,
'Little' or 'a little' are both used with uncountable nouns. 'a little' means much while 'little' limited value. That's my submission though.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by samhay: 2:17pm On Oct 02, 2013
Plz, I heard from some1 that 'Clap for him' is not correct that we should always say 'Clap him'. He cited an example that we can't say 'Slap for him'. Plz expantiate
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Alhasan1(m): 4:57pm On Oct 02, 2013
I think d person is grammatically right. If u can check page 257 of d Advanced learners dictionary, u will see it there."Everyone clapped us when we went up to get our prize."
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by samhay: 10:06am On Oct 21, 2013
Plz i want beta explaination on how to use relative clauses like 'When,Whom,Whose,Who,Which & That'. Plzzzzz
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by awesomeness(f): 11:33am On Nov 27, 2013
JMOI: It should go with a past tense. Just like "Have you brushed your teeth?"
Honestly, I thought u were sound in the knowledge of this English laguage,now I know u really do not understand the language, u probably dubbed from someone. For crying out loud! How can "Have you" go with a past tense? E.g Have u ate your food?
"Have you" goes with past participle. E.g Have u eaten your food?
Your own example "Have you brushed your teeth?" Is correct not because the "brushed" there is past tense but that it is past participle of "brush".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

WAEC Releases 2018 WASSCE Results: How To Check / How A Young Man, Jesse Gideon Abraham Was Killed By His Roommate At Uniuyo (pix) / How To Make A First Class Or Distinction In School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.