Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,615 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! (19445 Views)

How To Link Your BVN To Your UBA Account Without Going To The Bank / GTB Account Issue / Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by papindinho(m): 6:22pm On Sep 16, 2013
daylae: that's why i love my GTB.
when its got small building compare to its expected capacity.
GTB is just a bank I always want to avoid.
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by HARDDON: 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2013
and alot more need to go cos banks are so full of the wrong sets of ppl nowadays.

what is an ENgineer doing behind the counter in a Bank?

as the saying goes, when interest is sacrificed because of a morsel of bread, frustration cant but creep in...

a frustrated staff is a lose end....

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by stkris(m): 6:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
ukcars:

There is nothing interesting in someone being sacked

There is in many cases. It is called weeding out incompetence.
It is not only interesting, it is NECESSARY.

2 Likes

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by anonimi: 6:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
ukcars:

There is something VERY interesting in someone being sacked for the RIGHT reason, don't you think
If you own a business and your staff (who is very WELL PAID) can't provide REQUIRED service to your customers, will you continue keeping such staff at the risk of losing money and probably close your own business to become a pauper yourself?

I hope other LAZY BONES in the bank who are bench warmers also get SACKED if they have not taken note of this incident and found INCOMPETENT!!!

2 Likes

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 16, 2013
While I always feel sad to see someone thrown into the labour market, I think Nairaland is gradually taking its place as the megaphone of the oppressed, voice of the voiceless, a public court.

The other time, it was Honeywell or Cadbury (can't remember again) that responded to an allegation by a Nairalander on nairaland.

Meanwhile, admin & supermods, I still await this my sister's complaint to hit the front page so that DealDey can take action too o (https://www.nairaland.com/1428561/sisters-nasty-experience-dealday) smiley
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by hitlab: 6:44pm On Sep 16, 2013
AjanleKoko: It was wrong of UBA to fire that employee in my view.

It's not just about sacking someone. Companies in Nigeria need to do a lot more to train their staff on customer service.
This one sounds like eye service/scape-goating to me. It's not only about paying people lots of money, but instilling the right attitude through training in the employees. That one person was sacked does not mean someone else will not do worse next time. Even worse, it reinforces a negative attitude in the other staff members.

Punitive action is fine, but not firing. Are they going to fire someone every time there is a complaint? Why not be proactive and train employees, develop customer service KPIs, and monitor the customer interfaces for compliance?
Typical Naija draconian approach angry
u reasoned well but i think the banker must have had his measure full. Am sure series of investigations must have gone into this & perhaps more skeletons were uncovered in the process. While its not a cause to jubilate its also a lesson to bankers who use to think they have Weight & cannot be blown.
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by claremont(m): 6:45pm On Sep 16, 2013
UBA is not the only bank in Nigeria. If a customer is having a problem with the services been provided at UBA, then you can simply open an account in another bank. The way this issue was handled by the customer in question shows a high level of vindictiveness and witch-hunting.

The fact of the matter is that sacking the alleged staff is not going to automatically improve services in the bank. On the contrary, it may actually reveal the draconian management style which the bank uses to manage its employees. The behaviour of the employee is a reflection of the behaviour of his management.

Someone has just lost their job thereby rendering an entire family hungry, and the whole of Nairaland are high-fiving themselves for a job well done. We lack empathy in Nigeria abeg!

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by ume(m): 6:46pm On Sep 16, 2013
ukcars:

my brother i agree with you on this one
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Burger01(m): 7:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
ukcars:

There is nothing interesting in someone being 'lackadaisial' about his/her job. Haba!

2 Likes

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by anonimi: 7:16pm On Sep 16, 2013
claremont: UBA is not the only bank in Nigeria. If a customer is having a problem with the services been provided at UBA, then you can simply open an account in another bank. The way this issue was handled by the customer in question shows a high level of vindictiveness and witch-hunting.

The fact of the matter is that sacking the alleged staff is not going to automatically improve services in the bank. On the contrary, it may actually reveal the draconian management style which the bank uses to manage its employees. The behaviour of the employee is a reflection of the behaviour of his management.

Someone has just lost their job thereby rendering an entire family hungry, and the whole of Nairaland are high-fiving themselves for a job well done. We lack empathy in Nigeria abeg!

Do you know why the sacked UBA staff did not think of "rendering his entire family hungry" when he REFUSED to do his job as he is handsomely paid monthly to do
Just one or two reasons will do please!!!

Has it occurred to you that by not attending to the customer he might have made the customer lose a particular business thereby making the customer's "entire family hungry" also?
Why would you support such a LAZY bum? is that how you do your employer's work or handle customers work (assuming you are a businessman)?

3 Likes

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 16, 2013
i had a similar experience back in 2011 when i wanted to open a new account at the u-turn branch in abule egba. i eventually had to settle down with my existing 1st bank u.i branch
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by garri4all: 7:17pm On Sep 16, 2013
playstation:

That advert is not done directly on CNN, its done on dstv, they are only viewed when you are in nigeria, Dstv uses the advert time of any other CNN advert to show UBA advert but its always in time with the main advert CNN is doing at that particular time. wink

No you are wrong, I live in Austria and I see the UBA advert too whenever I watch CNN. I usually see Zenith and UBA advert on CNN International. It makes me freaking happy as it draws me closer to home and I usually tell my friends and anyone who cares to listen that those are Nigerian banks. grin
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by creativemusic: 7:17pm On Sep 16, 2013
waoooooooooooooo sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by sboga: 7:19pm On Sep 16, 2013
my guys, forget uba, gtb, firstbank.....just rush to your nearest [size=14pt]UNITY BANK [/size]branch and open account. better banking service. i dey tell you.
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Thebrightest(m): 7:20pm On Sep 16, 2013
I am suppose to type END TIME THINGS, but i wont.
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by doopsy(f): 7:20pm On Sep 16, 2013
How can people rejoice over a person been sacked..what on earth is becoming of our youths...@OP please tell the customer to make a testimony in church..And let's see who claps..we all have jobs ,let's be diligent and do our best..and when the beans cookers(elewas) pass by..let them not see us..nuff said :-

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by anonimi: 7:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
doopsy: How can people rejoice over a person been sacked..what on earth is becoming of our youths...@OP please tell the customer to make a testimony in church..And let's see who claps..we all have jobs ,let's be diligent and do our best..and when the beans cookers(elewas) pass by..let them not see us..nuff said :-

Point of correction.
No one is rejoicing over the sacking in itself.
We are happy that a PUBLIC company owned by many shareholders has DISCIPLINED a LAZY worker.
There should be more of such, including our politicians who are also LOAFING and collecting millions monthly for doing nothing.

Would you suggest otherwise

What will you recommend should have been done?

4 Likes

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by sleekysol(m): 7:32pm On Sep 16, 2013
It is really sad this dude lost his job. The truth is the only blame he had was following protocol too much without being insightful. So much policies but human wisdom is also required to work in a bank. I pray the guy moves on and get grow from this lesson. Harsh it is but then it always a tight rope to walk.... Banking sector
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by anonimi: 7:44pm On Sep 16, 2013
sleekysol: It is really sad this dude lost his job. The truth is the only blame he had was following protocol too much without being insightful. So much policies but human wisdom is also required to work in a bank. I pray the guy moves on and get grow from this lesson. Harsh it is but then it always a tight rope to walk.... Banking sector

Is he a CLERK- you know those guys who ONLY know how to fill a form and have to refer to their oga at the top for anything outside what is required on the form.
Do you know

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by doopsy(f): 8:01pm On Sep 16, 2013
anonimi:

Point of correction.
No one is rejoicing over the sacking in itself.
We are happy that a PUBLIC company owned by many shareholders has DISCIPLINED a LAZY worker.
There should be more of such, including our politicians who are also LOAFING and collecting millions monthly for doing nothing.

Would you suggest otherwise

What will you recommend should have been done?

I don't condone people being rude,lazy and not doing there jobs,but at least he would have suspended or something,a lot of people complaining about customer service, can't stand serving people in a day,even if they are been paid for it,like my boss will say customer service is hometraining..word

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by anonimi: 8:11pm On Sep 16, 2013
doopsy:

I don't condone people being rude,lazy and not doing there jobs,but at least he would have suspended or something,a lot of people complaining about customer service, can't stand serving people in a day,even if they are been paid for it,like my boss will say customer service is hometraining..word

Do you know if he has been suspended for similar LAZY work attitude before
What other something would you suggest as a manager or business owner under the circumstance, with the potential of losing customers and your own business if such LAZY bums are allowed to stay on in their jobs

2 Likes

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Christmasdon(m): 8:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
goldylock: i have to admit that what is going on in some banks concerning customer care relations is appalling but then a man just lost his job. i hope lessons are learnt sha because at the END of it all TIME changes THINGS.
. I caught you red handed. You are trying to say End time things. Hahahahahaha!!!
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by illuminutty: 8:24pm On Sep 16, 2013
lol

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by SirMethod: 8:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
i.:
haha! not union ooh, this one na one precious stone like dat.
na Ruby abi na diamond
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by aparata: 8:38pm On Sep 16, 2013
eyoiba: I know you all still remember how a Nairalander dissatisfied with how he was treated at one of the UBA Branches took to the forum to express his frustration while trying to open an account with the Bank.

Well, when I got home I discussed the issue with a neighbor of mine who is a staff of UBA and also a Nairalander. He told me he has also seen the post and was very sad about the incident, that was on Thursday, 12 of September.

I got a call from him this morning that the bank’s Management got know about the issue posted on Nairaland (some UBA staff who are member of this forum promised to take up this issue and I guess they did) and the matter was investigated and the CSO (the guy that collected the account opening form from the Nairalander without doing anything) has been sacked and the BOM (the senior officer whom the CSO referred the Nairalander to) was placed on one month suspension without pay.

I didn’t believe it until my neighbor sent a clip of the weekly in house newsletter where the issue was reported (See below).

Though Nairaland was not mentioned in the article, but you will know that the case is the same as the one posted on Nairaland. Most of the time the Management don’t know what is happening at the branch level considering the size of an organization like UBA and some staff just act as they please even though the management frowns on issues like this especially when the Management is making strong efforts to reposition the Bank as a quality service provider .

I commend UBA for listening to the public perception of their services and taking immediate step to punishing the erring staff. This is shows the undeniable great influence Nairaland has on our society. Nairalanders, I hail thee!!! Afi igba te je ki she bo lowo bobo yen! (Your efforts led to the sacking of the guy!)
Below is the article:

Clap for ur sef dey wil pay U̶̲̥̅̊ his salary now

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 16, 2013
I believe customer facing staffs have name tags/id's. I usually fill the complaints form and drop it in the secured boxes before leaving. A bank staff would be screwed if he/she acts rude.

I logged a complaint against a telecom customer service staff, She cut me off on a call...The coy did write me after the investigation was completed that she had been relieved of her job. This happened in the UK.

The uba staff should have known that his actions could lead to a sack.
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by tnktosin(m): 9:11pm On Sep 16, 2013
I don't pity the dude, the few times I've done transactions in UBA branches, the service is really appalling and it was high time someone spoke up. I wouldn't want anyone losing his/her job but these bankers display some sort of arrogance and impunity. I currently enjoy the service I get from GTBank. I had to move my salary acct from zenith bank domiciled at (XXXX) branch lagos cos of bad service from my acct officer, now I only transfer meager cash to the acct for ATM withdrawals while travelling or outing late nights, my salary acct is now with GTBank.
To make matters worse, over a hundred of my colleagues (for real) with an IOC earning nothing less than 10M per annum abandoned their accts cos of this same acct officer. An adamant friend of mine who decided to retain service of zenith had to open a new acct under a different acct officer in the same branch. Imagine what loss this translates to the bank.
Don't get me wrong, zenith is a great new generation bank but just like any other business, the some bad eggs in the work force can make life hell for customers.
Staffs can ruin your business for you if you don't keep a close eye on them.
Av decided not to mention any names cos you don't know who's viewing ur posts, besides the person in question could have changed for the better. Datsall.
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 16, 2013
The good we do, comes back to us and vise versa. When birds are alive, they eat ants. When birds die, ants eat it. Never use pain to solve the problems that pain brings. May God forgive the erring employee and provide him a better opportunity in life. May his adversaries be put to shame. UBA has removed their red carpet today, may God spread his white for him. We all err. We all goof. We all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Unjustifiable for a man to judge the other. The best punishment for a repentant sinner is forgiveness. Word is born

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by johhnnie(m): 9:23pm On Sep 16, 2013
The social media is the way to go. I hope that one day the Nigerian populace will find a respite through the social media voice and be bold to posit a common front that will decapitate all these vision less clowns parading themselves as our leaders in politics/ governance. The middle east flush started with and on the social media. Let us be the revolution that we desire and let our desire so much become our passion. Let our passion propel our minds to reason and overtake to recover the future stolen from us else we will go down in history as accursed generation.........lets take our destinies in our hands and ask for that which rightfuly belong to us. Enough is enough.

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 16, 2013
you guys will not understand, I had a nasty experience with a UBA staff in ABJ, I swear this guy started insulting me calling Me a fool and telling me my problem will grow from dormant acct to frozen acct just because I asked the customer care guy to help me reactivate my acct. walahi I almost began to shed tears I was heart broken. another GTB guy wanted to start punch me because I wanted to open acct!! I was flagabasted!
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by tnktosin(m): 9:30pm On Sep 16, 2013
gmyguy: i had a similar experience back in 2011 when i wanted to open a new account at the u-turn branch in abule egba. i eventually had to settle down with my existing 1st bank u.i branch
U-turn branch? Phew!!! dats one hell of a branch. Long windy queues just to deposit cash.
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by badboym: 10:21pm On Sep 16, 2013
Would be glad if those representatives at various embassies in Nigeria are investigated for their derogatory attitude to applicants.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Walmart In Nigeria / Pos Transaction Problem / CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.