Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,689 members, 7,805,835 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" (22633 Views)

Check Out My Son @1 / Picture Of My Son Preparing For School For The First Time / To Choose Btw Son's Birthday Or Step Son's School Fees! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by tpia5: 3:44am On Sep 18, 2013
gzib: at 5 years my son have started reading some story books and bible words, at a point i wanted to complain just like you

kids are supposed to be able to read some basic words by five. Maybe two or three letter words.

all those jack and jill or is it peter and paul picture books from those days, arent they for 5-6 year olds?
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Google63(m): 5:26am On Sep 18, 2013
tpia.:

You are sensitive to what YOU perceive as criticism, not to mention your chip on the shoulder makes you see every comment that doesnt tow your line, as an insult, yet you open a thread for people to rain abuse on your alleged child's school, on your behalf.

Typical nler.

The only thing i'm gleaning from your rant is you dont want anyone asking why dont you change your child's school ( lets assume you are not role acting), but instead are looking for who will help you abuse schools in general.

Boko haram things?
must you always comment? Pls why not avoid commenting, when you dont have something better to say.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Ogadtop(m): 5:47am On Sep 18, 2013
tpia.:

You are sensitive to what YOU perceive as criticism, not to mention your chip on the shoulder makes you see every comment that doesnt tow your line, as an insult, yet you open a thread for people to rain abuse on your alleged child's school, on your behalf.

Typical nler.

The only thing i'm gleaning from your rant is you dont want anyone asking why dont you change your child's school ( lets assume you are not role acting), but instead are looking for who will help you abuse schools in general.

Boko haram things?
must ppl like u comment? why not enjoy the topic,read through if u like,contribute if u are pleased or slide to the next topic. must u make a mountain out of a mole hill? haba!
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by sayso: 6:49am On Sep 18, 2013
Audrey I: @topic: As incredible as it sounds(and I know this sounds far fetched) but, my daughter will be starting in at Nursery 1 on Monday and she writes 1 - 200 on her own. She's 3. She can also do basic additions, subtractions and can write two and three letter words. Just like your son, she's also been taught basic sentence construction. So your son's school is not over doing it.

While I understand your concerns about your child developing at a reasonable pace, I still feel you should be proud of him and the school, especially if he's recieving a well rounded education that includes mental, physical, social and moral developement.

Truth is, we live in a highly competitive world, and it isn't too early to begin to equip your child with much needed education, especially in this era where most employers operate a policy of 'the younger, the better.'

The OP is talking about over labouring an infant with too many things,the development of an infant is not in addition and subtraction but in playing,when they sing and play their mental balance develops fast.
The private school thing has realy blown this education thing into pieces albeit to the unconcern behaviour of our Government,but some missionary schools are getting us back to the real education.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by veloce(m): 7:09am On Sep 18, 2013
@op, just watch your son and see if he is catching up in other aspect of his social life.i remember a boy of 9 yrs old who won a competition meant for junior sec schools.the boy must have started earrly and from the interaction i have with his parent and school mates, he has the touch of every sphere of human endeavours.pls allow your son to explore and yours is to watch/monitor him to if you know what i mean.i personally love such kids if they are doing well.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 7:36am On Sep 18, 2013
This tpia lady must be a robot programmed wrongly-never seen her behaved properly!
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by seedord247(m): 7:41am On Sep 18, 2013
iv4fb: This tpia lady must be a robot programmed wrongly-never seen her behaved properly!

She's madam not lady... If not for menopause she's still laying. grin
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by onegig(m): 7:44am On Sep 18, 2013
They are over burdening the child. Don't be suprised most of what they teach these kids is route memorization and nothing else. A kid that can read from 1 to 100 would fail if you ask him to read just 50 to 1 backwards. Also most of then know 20 times 20 but just place three cups on one side of the table and another on the other side and ask them whats the total and see how dumb founded these kids would be.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by steeviee(m): 8:06am On Sep 18, 2013
@op my son is 3yr plus and in Nursery 2. He has been writing 1-200 since nursery 1 together with some 3 letter words. I initially frowned at it but i have been celebrating him. I only pray he keeps the feat and the sky will be his limit.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 18, 2013
comprende: My son is just 4 years five months old and has just moved to the Nursery two equivalent in his school.

I kind of worried about the level of education they are providing, as I feel it is far above what a child his age should be put through. My wife is ok with it though and has told be to stop fussing. I'm putting my concerns on this forum to find out if my fears are unfounded or if I need to move my son to another school. Let me explain further.

My belief is that a child in Nursery school should mainly be involved with rhymes, art, counting a few numbers, learning the alphabet and a few basic English words. But while in Nursery one, my son's school has been teaching him to write numbers from 1 - 120 for instance, reading words and making sentences, some little addition and subtraction. Now in Nursery two, they have started learning vowels and consonants, making sentences and writing them, and I don't know yet if they might introduce multiplication and division!!!

Maybe my I'm too old school but my memories of nursery school were painting, singing nursery rhymes and playing with plasticine. I don't want to agree with the idea that times have changed cos these schools copy the American and British syllabuses, yet they force these kids to learn stuff meant for classes a step or two higher.

I'm throwing this to parents out there. Please advice.

He is not being over-taught. Have you not heard of a 15 years old attempting GCE and clearing all his papers. Successful people are unusual. The use of the brain is synonymous to toning of the muscle. So let him be and pray for him to divine empowerment.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by sage2(m): 8:50am On Sep 18, 2013
You did not even tell us how well your child is coping. I may not be able to give you a reasonable advice without that information.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Arosa(m): 8:51am On Sep 18, 2013
by alutacontinua(f):
The truth is our brain can take a lot of tinz, we're d ones that under-estimate it. I think if the child can handle it, let him/her be! The competition out there is not a joke!

This is my opinion on this topic, if your child is 5 and he/she can't read and write properly then you have failed your child. I have seen a 3 months old baby say ABC. angry
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Tats(m): 9:09am On Sep 18, 2013
In my days, nursery school was very simple and by all means I wasn't disadvantaged later in life and have successfully worked in large international companies.

What about Outdoor kindergarten in germany? Yet, German economy is doing well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_kindergarten

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 9:30am On Sep 18, 2013
blank: I am in support of what the school is doing I believe that children should be pushed to the maximum so they get used to working at that level. If the kid is not coping and you will be able to tell, let the kid go back a class.

The world is getting more competitive, no place for slackers and late bloomers. Be happy. If you like, when your kid gets home, u can bring out the play stuff and let him have fun. Btw, the schools still teach rhymes, dance etc, whilst teaching the nos and stuff.

The competitveness in the world shouldn't be a reason to deprive children of their childhood. There is time plenty to learn all this. Instead of learning to count to one thousand, I'd rather get my son a piano and allow him learn some sound and music. Piano lessons are even more beneficial for his learning than all this one to one million.

Btw, if he has to go back a class he's already a late bloomer which 'the world has not time for'. Perhaps he should leave school forever?
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by obayaya(m): 9:33am On Sep 18, 2013
this is so wrong.. I read an article some time ago that said that nursery school and kindergarten is meant to cultivate the love of learning and appreciation of a society in a kid.. not creating a geek.. that's exactly what this school is doing
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Arosa(m): 9:50am On Sep 18, 2013
There are too many daft people wandering about aimlessly in Nigeria, anything that can make them smarter is surly a good development.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 9:51am On Sep 18, 2013
Passing Shot:

I very much doubt the bolded. A three year old is barely communicating to be understood perfectly! And yours is already writing 1 to 200?
Say something else abeg!
Lol. don't be surprised. My son is going to be 3 in late october and he speaks clearly...clearly. He doesn't need to repeat any word for you to understand what he says. And he can only count one to twenty though.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 18, 2013
A-town:

The reason mankind continues to exist is because we keep getting smarter. Trust me, what they are teaching them is normal. If you expect your childs assimilation rate to be the same/on par with yours when you were young, your child will be left behind. The brain of the modern day child is way more advanced than "WE" the old timers. "2" year olds know how to operate IPADS, iphones, cellphones and what have you nowadays. It is okay. Don't sweat it
In other words, in a century or two, kids would start learning alphabet, numbers and roman numerals from the delivery room? Wetin person no go see for nairaland? Every thing has its optimal time. There's no point forcing a 3yo to learn 1-1000.

2 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by meforyou1(m): 10:02am On Sep 18, 2013
For me, i believe nursery schools should be scrapped. a child should stay home and play till they are 6yrs
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Burger01(m): 10:02am On Sep 18, 2013
comprende:

@tpia

Thanks for your thinly veiled insult. I'll just let it slide...and wait for reasonable contributions from parents who have proper suggestions and insight.

Bros, it would do you well to just ignore that TilaPIA winch.

angry
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 10:03am On Sep 18, 2013
sadeiyare: I read that the human mind will learn 80'/, of all he/she will ever know between the ages of 1 and 5, so bro this is information to ponder on.
Yeah, that's stuff like how to relate with your environmentn emotional intelligence and some intangible things that make the core of a person's core-values, principles and ish not the likes of sets, surds, algebra and trigonometry.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 10:07am On Sep 18, 2013
QEFRAN6: @Op,I dnt think the school is over teaching ur son...we learnt stuff like dat in our house b4 we even start sch and at such age,cos mumsy is a teacher and it had no negative effects on all of us.(Me and my siblings) rather it adds to us,there is no day I don't get compliment on ma handwritting excecpt I didn't go out or write and eachtime I remember my mum cos she did a gr8 job...all u need do is support ur son by putting him through wen he comes back home.As soon as a child begins to talk,anoda level of learning sets in,humans hav the ability to learn a lot of things under condusive environments...I think u shd b proud that he is not being draged backward,rather moving forward and standing tall.
So, omo tisha, what the fcck is the benefit of a fine handwriting with terrible spelling and atricious punctuation. I mean, what the fcck is handwritting, if your mama no come be teacher nko, where your level for dey now?

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Jamjoji(m): 10:10am On Sep 18, 2013
comprende: My son is just 4 years five months old and has just moved to the Nursery two equivalent in his school.

I kind of worried about the level of education they are providing, as I feel it is far above what a child his age should be put through. My wife is ok with it though and has told be to stop fussing. I'm putting my concerns on this forum to find out if my fears are unfounded or if I need to move my son to another school. Let me explain further.

My belief is that a child in Nursery school should mainly be involved with rhymes, art, counting a few numbers, learning the alphabet and a few basic English words. But while in Nursery one, my son's school has been teaching him to write numbers from 1 - 120 for instance, reading words and making sentences, some little addition and subtraction. Now in Nursery two, they have started learning vowels and consonants, making sentences and writing them, and I don't know yet if they might introduce multiplication and division!!!

Maybe my I'm too old school but my memories of nursery school were painting, singing nursery rhymes and playing with plasticine. I don't want to agree with the idea that times have changed cos these schools copy the American and British syllabuses, yet they force these kids to learn stuff meant for classes a step or two higher.

shocked[color=#990000][/color]
my opinion is dt education is improving. Wht we did in primary six dn, is nw taught in primary two, wnt u be surprised hearing a primary two pupil talking human digestion
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by andico34: 10:23am On Sep 18, 2013
My brother....it is the norm this days....the standard of teaching and curriculum is much higher than in our days.........my son is five years and in primary two......as long as your child is coping with the school work......no fuss....GOD bless
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by iyatrustee(f): 10:35am On Sep 18, 2013
I am presently faced with a similar situation. I decided to change school for my 4yr old boy. The entrance test the poor kid was to pass entailed him writing from 1-150! He tried his best. After much persuasion and an undertaking that I would engage the services of a lesson teacher, he was admitted into nursery 2.

Fast forward to the first day at his new school, I was called from the teacher that my boy would find it difficult to cope in his new class since pupils in their nursery 2 copy from the blackboard! . I decided to go see things by myself, only to see them teaching social studies in nursery 2. Suffice to say my boy was demoted back to nursery 1 angry angry angry
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by DarryOsh(m): 10:44am On Sep 18, 2013
Kanwulia: Instead of 'percolating' on NL like a BURNT coffee-pot, why not get with other parents and validate or in-validate you observation?

How are you being your child's advocate by SIMPLY VENTING ON AN ENTERTAINMENT forum? undecided
the forum is exactly what you make of it. If to you it is merely an entertainment forum, then that is your opinion. You are entitled to it. But don't forget that others are entitled to theirs too.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Tats(m): 10:48am On Sep 18, 2013
Kanwulia: Instead of 'percolating' on NL like a BURNT coffee-pot, why not get with other parents and validate or in-validate you observation?
How are you being your child's advocate by SIMPLY VENTING ON AN ENTERTAINMENT forum? undecided

Nairaland is an entertainment forum??

There is an entertainment section in Nairaland and that section is just a fraction of the site. How else can the OP get views from a diverse audience if not from such a place as Nairaland.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by DarryOsh(m): 11:00am On Sep 18, 2013
onegig: They are over burdening the child. Don't be suprised most of what they teach these kids is route memorization and nothing else. A kid that can read from 1 to 100 would fail if you ask him to read just 50 to 1 backwards. Also most of then know 20 times 20 but just place three cups on one side of the table and another on the other side and ask them whats the total and see how dumb founded these kids would be.

i absolutely agree with u and i think this approach can be used to tell if the child is merely cramming.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by nora544: 11:04am On Sep 18, 2013
iyatrustee: I am presently faced with a similar situation. I decided to change school for my 4yr old boy. The entrance test the poor kid was to pass entailed him writing from 1-150! He tried his best. After much persuasion and an undertaking that I would engage the services of a lesson teacher, he was admitted into nursery 2.

Fast forward to the first day at his new school, I was called from the teacher that my boy would find it difficult to cope in his new class since pupils in their nursery 2 copy from the blackboard! . I decided to go see things by myself, only to see them teaching social studies in nursery 2. Suffice to say my boy was demoted back to nursery 1 angry angry angry

Please change the school let your child be a child, at this age a child should sing and paint and work with his hands and not learning writing sorry that is so wrong.

I can tell you my daughter was a child, she went 3 years in the kindergarten, than she went 4 years in a private primary school and than she change to the secondary school for 9 years, after this she went to the University where she was the year before she get her masterdegree the best student from the University, makes the best masterdegree in her programm, at that time she was 23 and with 28 she had her PhD and i never force her to something, please let your child be a child.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by bong4(m): 11:26am On Sep 18, 2013

hmm and i am here complaining that my son in KG One (2 yrs 2 mnths) is given homework every day to write '1' and 'A'. The boy sef will write up to three lines and start rebelling that he wants to play ball or watch cartoon. That is after staying from 8am till 4pm in school. My own challenge is how to get him do his homework every evening when he should be resting, sleeping or playing. I understand weekend homework but everyday.... Someone should help out here.

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by tsmith(f): 11:35am On Sep 18, 2013
I think they are over saturating the child and you have a valid reason to be concerned.

I am Nigerian educated for the greater portion of my life (to 1st degree) and now live and work abroad. The difference between 'us' and 'them' is vast. My manager doesnt even have a 1st degree but rather loads of expercience whereas I have a masters, and a truckload of other certifications but often times lacks application.

My son is 5 and just ofrom reception to Year 1, i marvel at the way we were taught and the way they are being taught. my husband and I jokingly say we never did so much imaginative and creative projects in our whole live that we have done for him & his sist in preschool/reception and now year 1. They start them off learnig through play; its about songs, scribbles, messy paintings and creations. touch, feel, texture and knowing oneself in terms of emotions etc. That is the awaking part that we lacked and that is what often times marks a inventor (creator, entrepreneurs) form an employee!

At that level, its their creativity and imagination that should be developed, as the mind and brain develops, the facts start to come in, but because the ground work (imagination) has been prepped, its easier to absolve and translate the facts later in life.

When my son started school at 4, he could sing his ABC and count 1-10, but that was about it. He couldnt exactly identify all the alphabeths, we were asked not to teach them because they would be taught phonic and teaching straight forward ABC could confuse them. I must admit it was initially dauting, but within a year, he knows he phonics and is able to marry sounds. Now he can identify over 200 words, and makes a good attempt to sound out the unfamiliar ones. But the thinking, questions and logic he comes out with, me sef dey weak!

That been said, kids can be different, his lil sister who just turned 3, can count 1-100 easily, kow and identifies her ABC and knows alot of phonics. (courtesy when his big brother is learning). Obvoiusly she is gifted and would be encouraged but not pressured, cause truly at the end of the day, a child is still a child and life is too beautiful to miss out chunks of it!

That been said, i remember 2 years ago, my nephew came visiting from Nigeria, he is just a few months older that my son, but could count 1- whatever then when my son didnt even know 1-10. But listening closely to him, you would realise he was just in motion; counting/reciting without understanding. Ask what number comes after 11, he cant say, but would happily count over 11. I hope you get me!

2 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by bong4(m): 11:44am On Sep 18, 2013
onegig: They are over burdening the child. Don't be suprised most of what they teach these kids is route memorization and nothing else. A kid that can read from 1 to 100 would fail if you ask him to read just 50 to 1 backwards. Also most of then know 20 times 20 but just place three cups on one side of the table and another on the other side and ask them whats the total and see how dumb founded these kids would be.

reading 50 to 1 backwards is simply MADNESS and i know nobody wants his/her child to end up that way.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? / It is a Confession Hour , I'm Sleeping With My Pastor's Wife . / Missing Girl In Kaduna: Walida Found In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.