Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,129 members, 7,807,421 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:18 PM

FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike (18406 Views)

FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala / FG Holds Crucial Talks With ASUU Today -releases N100bn To Suswam-led Committee / FG In Talks With ASUU On Strike - Maku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by cumpaddre(m): 12:59am On Sep 17, 2013
THE Federal Government may have reopened dialogue with the leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), in a bid to end the over two months old strike.

This came just as the National Association of Nigerians Students (NANS) urged both government and ASUU to return back to the negotiation table, with each party willing to shift ground from their previous positions.

Indications to the new development with ASUU emerged on Monday, when journalists were called to cover the meeting, which was eventually postponed till next week, with a ministry official saying this was to allow the supervising Minister of Education, Mr Nyesom Wike, get proper briefing on the current standpoint of the issues involved.

Wike was joined by the Minister of Labour and Productivity, Chief Emeka Wogu, for the meeting scheduled for 12 noon at the Federal Ministry of Education conference room before it was called off.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that the resumption of talks followed the exit of the former Minister of Education, Professor Ruqayyatu Ahmed Rufa’i, who was dropped last week by President Goodluck Jonathan alongside eight other ministers.

The negotiation between the government and leadership of ASUU broke down over disagreement on payment of academic earned allowance to union members.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian students, under the auspices of NANS, have called on both the Federal Government and ASUU to return back to the negotiation table, in order to resolve their differences in good faith.

Acting Senate president of NANS, John Shima, while addressing newsmen in Abuja, lauded the sack of Professor Rufa’i and other ministers, as part of the initiatives of President Jonathan to retool the government.

“ASUU and Federal Government should go back to the negotiating table. Even after wars, issues are resolved at the roundtable. Nigerian students have been idle for 78 days.

“Nigerian students are tired of sitting at home. Both parties are urged to shift ground to ensure quick resolution of the crisis.

“We lost almost three years of study time in the last 10 years due to strikes; the lost time being enough to graduate a student in Germany,” Shima said.

Meanwhile, Benue State governor, Mr Gabriel Suswam, has vowed to get tough on striking lecturers of Benue State University, Makurdi, by evoking “no work, no pay” policy if they refuse to call off what he described as their “sympathy strike,” which had paralysed academic activities in the state.

Suswam said state-owned universities like that of Benue had no reason whatsoever to remain on strike, since it was federal universities and not states that were earlier involved in the negotiation with the Federal Government.

Suswam explained that Benue State University had been benefiting fully from the earned allowance for which the Federal Government voted N30 billion and had no cause to be complaining.

The governor, while addressing communicant members of the Reformed Church of Christ in Nigeria, at Achusa village, Makurdi, at the weekend, decried the extent to which the strike had gone and admonished the authorities of the institution to expedite action towards suspending the protracted strike for students to resume in the next one week.

He condemned the level of dilapidated infrastructure in most state-owned universities, including Benue State University, but applauded the Federal Government for the release of N100 billion to assuage the problem.

Benue State University, the governor said, got N950 million for the execution of six projects within the institution, while he expressed optimism that the funds would be judiciously used for the growth of the university.

4 Likes

Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by ebsuguy(m): 1:03am On Sep 17, 2013
still reading but wait.....I will say it....First to comment
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Dannyxy(m): 1:16am On Sep 17, 2013
O.k
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Harrisonn(m): 1:54am On Sep 17, 2013
what next tongue tongue
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Impulse80(m): 3:34am On Sep 17, 2013
Waiting for Hope
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by ellyrichy(m): 3:50am On Sep 17, 2013
Fresh air with fresh news.
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Osasu99(m): 6:10am On Sep 17, 2013
Make sense
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by striker9(m): 6:15am On Sep 17, 2013
story story.....
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by donktrax(m): 6:19am On Sep 17, 2013
Ok. Dt meanz wike wud use his rugged nature and resolve d matter den ASUU wil call off den uniben wud gv me my admission via de den i'll leave service and baam! Am a medical student, oh wa!

4 Likes

Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Mubby4luv(m): 7:17am On Sep 17, 2013
Owk. season continue

1 Like

Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by tsleazy(m): 7:29am On Sep 17, 2013
hmm...state universities are joining the strike....this is pure example of END TIME THINGS...we still waiting 4 private universities
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by fr3do(m): 7:31am On Sep 17, 2013
It just had to be more than 2 months
smh
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Nobody: 8:33am On Sep 17, 2013
I just hope 'Mr Deadlock' refuses to attend their meetings this time around. undecided

5 Likes

Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by premlove(m): 8:36am On Sep 17, 2013
What is the need of giving student hope when we know that is nxt yr d strike will be call off
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Nobody: 8:54am On Sep 17, 2013
prem love: What is the need of giving student hope when we know that is nxt yr d strike will be call off

undecided
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Davo93(m): 8:59am On Sep 17, 2013
#Indifferent
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Nomski0(f): 9:04am On Sep 17, 2013
How's this one news to us Neither of them cares about the well being of Nigerian students. If they did, it wouldnt take these jerks this long to sit and resolve their differences.....if i curse my country now, they'll say i'm not patriotic. What's there to be patriotic about

3 Likes

Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Nobody: 9:17am On Sep 17, 2013
Nomski0: How's this one news to us Neither of them cares about the well being of Nigerian students. If they did, it wouldnt take these jerks this long to sit and resolve their differences.....if i curse my country now, they'll say i'm not patriotic. What's there to be patriotic about
Saying all this on an online forum will yield almost no positive result. I am very much sure the President doesn't see your comments and level dissatisfaction to the way he runs this country. If you publish your comments/feelings on a National Newspaper, then I can guarantee you your plea would be heard and supported by many Nigerians.
Every Nigerian apart from Government is hurt by this strike, no need protesting on Nland if they may n't hear you. A Newspaper would do.
Just an Advice from a concerned Nlander#

1 Like

Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Emmy9ite(m): 9:24am On Sep 17, 2013
OK, we will keep on praying!
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by bionicdude(m): 9:25am On Sep 17, 2013
d annoying part of d news is dat d ministry were waiting for wike b4 they act.How can u wait for sumone who is waging war elsewhere.Someone who since he was appointed acting minister i have never heard him talk of ASUU so y can't u guyz go on den just report to him since he has more political issues to deal with
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by adbaba(m): 10:03am On Sep 17, 2013
ASUU v FG,
round 2...

NANS as referee,
students as the boxing ring.dnt b left out.book ur ticket now!

2 Likes

Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by timwezzb(m): 10:33am On Sep 17, 2013
I only want to here 4 words which is "ASUU STRIKE CALL OFF"

2 Likes

Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Sicozone(m): 10:38am On Sep 17, 2013
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Appliedmaths(m): 11:00am On Sep 17, 2013
The writer of this FG-ASUU movie script is really doing a great job, grin I love the suspense,drama,emotions et all. Chia! *this is dramatic* mtchew! Na Today we they hear all this nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Hearme(m): 11:18am On Sep 17, 2013
[quote author=tsleazy]hmm...state universities are joining the strike....this is pure example of END TIME THINGS...we still waiting 4 private universities[/quote

So your eyes cannot see that the Governor himself said his state university got 950 million. Ask him the year he invested that amount into infrastructure since becoming a governor. Congratulations to ASUU. We need more for our schools
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 17, 2013
they should end this on time,girls for my area just dey carry belle anyhow......
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Erotex(m): 12:51pm On Sep 17, 2013
thought it's ova!!
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by JideTheBlogger(m): 12:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
Abeg, make them chill till after Sallah ooo.
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Ayomax(m): 12:56pm On Sep 17, 2013
ope oooooooooooooooo
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by Nobody: 12:58pm On Sep 17, 2013
striker9: story story.....

Sincerely pray this nonsense called strike comes to an end. Man is damn tired. Abeg make the two of them shift ground abeg.
Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by nerodenero: 12:59pm On Sep 17, 2013
Everybody is fighting for his own pocket.ASUU wants the sweet package of Senators and House of Reps members.Senators and House of Reps cant confront ASUU.FG is confused and ASUU wont shift ground.The drama conntinues...

2 Likes

Re: FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike by psychologist(m): 12:59pm On Sep 17, 2013
I jst dey observe. Mayb yeh all shud cum ad join me @ BETTER BY FaR uni grin grin fresh air tinz

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ogun School Where Pupils Learn Under Mango Tree Despite N30M Allocation / NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) / Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.