Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,861 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:02 AM

Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) (35530 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Radiator Fan Not Working / Radiator Fan Not Rolling At The Start Of The Engine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) by JUO(m): 9:06pm On Sep 18, 2013
I noticed my temperature gauge rising to 110° I have not seen it risen that way. I decided to check the fan because it was supposed to come on at 90° to my surprise the fan was not. I left it for some time to allow the water cool down before looking for somewhere to park it. I also noticed the ac was not working. immediately the ac went off the temperature rose. What could be wrong. want to fix the car myself . vw passat gt 2.0 1993
Re: Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) by Nobody: 9:14pm On Sep 18, 2013
Maybe Faulty thermostat *jux guessing*.
Re: Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) by JUO(m): 9:29pm On Sep 18, 2013
where is it located and how do i test it?
Re: Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:57pm On Sep 18, 2013
Bossforeva: Maybe Faulty thermostat *jux guessing*.

remember he said even with AC

AC got nothing to do with thermostat

back to the question check your fuses both to the fan and AC pump after that also check relays for both
Re: Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) by kingschild123(m): 10:02pm On Sep 18, 2013
It could be any of a number of things:
Low refrigerant. An A/C system requires a
certain amount of refrigerant to cool properly. If low, it works less efficiently and does not cool well.
Dirty condenser -- The condenser is the heat exchanger mounted in front of the radiator. It cools the high pressure refrigerant vapor after it exits the compressor so it can condense into a
liquid. If the condenser is full of leaves, bugs and road debris, air flow through the unit may be blocked to the point where little cooling occurs. Cleaning the condenser should cure the problem.
Inoperative condenser cooling fan. The
condenser often has its own separate electric cooling fan. This fan should come on and remain on when the A/C system is operating. If the fan motor, motor relay or wiring is defective, the fan may not be working.
Air or moisture contamination -- For the
refrigerant inside the system to do its job
properly, it must not be contaminated with air or moisture. Air reduces the cooling efficiency of the system while moisture can freeze and form ice that causes blockages in orifice tubes and
metering valves. Air and moisture
contamination may be the result of unrepaired leaks in the system, or failing to vacuum purge the system prior to recharging it with refrigerant.
Blockages -- Debris, rust or debris in the system may plug up the orifice tube or metering valve that admits refrigerant into the evaporator. If this vital point becomes obstructed, the flow of
refrigerant may be restricted or blocked causing a loss of cooling -- and possible compressor damage as well in systems that rely on oil circulating with the refrigerant for lubrication.
Mechanical problem -- These include things like metering valve failures, compressor wear, a compressor clutch that fails to engage, bad
pressure switches, etc. Pinpointing the problem will require the skills of a competent A/C technician
Re: Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:19pm On Sep 18, 2013
kingschild123: It could be any of a number of things:
Low refrigerant. An A/C system requires a
certain amount of refrigerant to cool properly. If low, it works less efficiently and does not cool well.
Dirty condenser -- The condenser is the heat exchanger mounted in front of the radiator. It cools the high pressure refrigerant vapor after it exits the compressor so it can condense into a
liquid. If the condenser is full of leaves, bugs and road debris, air flow through the unit may be blocked to the point where little cooling occurs. Cleaning the condenser should cure the problem.
Inoperative condenser cooling fan. The
condenser often has its own separate electric cooling fan. This fan should come on and remain on when the A/C system is operating. If the fan motor, motor relay or wiring is defective, the fan may not be working.
Air or moisture contamination -- For the
refrigerant inside the system to do its job
properly, it must not be contaminated with air or moisture. Air reduces the cooling efficiency of the system while moisture can freeze and form ice that causes blockages in orifice tubes and
metering valves. Air and moisture
contamination may be the result of unrepaired leaks in the system, or failing to vacuum purge the system prior to recharging it with refrigerant.
Blockages -- Debris, rust or debris in the system may plug up the orifice tube or metering valve that admits refrigerant into the evaporator. If this vital point becomes obstructed, the flow of
refrigerant may be restricted or blocked causing a loss of cooling -- and possible compressor damage as well in systems that rely on oil circulating with the refrigerant for lubrication.
Mechanical problem -- These include things like metering valve failures, compressor wear, a compressor clutch that fails to engage, bad
pressure switches, etc. Pinpointing the problem will require the skills of a competent A/C technician

i think his worry is not the AC but the fan of the car cooling system
Re: Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) by JUO(m): 7:05am On Sep 19, 2013
If the condenser is full of leaves, bugs and road debris
lol them plenty for inside
Re: Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) by JUO(m): 7:08am On Sep 19, 2013
i think his worry is not the AC but the fan of the car cooling system
you are so on point
Re: Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) by JUO(m): 7:44am On Sep 19, 2013
i just went through the manual and saw fuse number. i used my meter to test the fuses and discovered a blown fuse. i bridged the fuse and powered on the ac everything started working. am going to buy the fuse and wash the condenser/radiator. Thanks everybody for your input

Re: Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:32am On Sep 19, 2013
JUO: i just went through the manual and saw fuse number. i used my meter to test the fuses and discovered a blown fuse. i bridged the fuse and powered on the ac everything started working. am going to buy the fuse and wash the condenser/radiator. Thanks everybody for your input

very clever but remember to use a very thin wire, why becoz we dont know what made it blow, so if you a very thick wire it wont blow and it will damage the wires as they will heat up and melt especially the positive one

(1) (Reply)

Let's Encourage DIY: Operation Show Your DIY Tools. / President Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov Drives Around 'Gateway To Hell' / The All New Range Rover Velar – First Shot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.