Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,502 members, 7,808,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria (14254 Views)

Poll: Kanu or Lagos State Government: who is right?

Kanu: 84% (95 votes)
Govt.: 15% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Emmanuel Emenike In Dispute With Enugu Govt Over Land Meant For Football Acad. / Susanne Ibru Jailed Again For Stalking Man Utd's Rio Ferdinand / Shooting Stars Disbanded By Oyo Govt Over Mounting Financial Bills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by smile4kenn(m): 9:49am On Jun 22, 2008
Ferdinand, who led Manchester United to win both the 2008 English Premiership Shield and the Champions League Cup, was invited to Nigeria by the Lagos State government as a role model to inspire young ones for the Street Soccer Tournament that was organised by the state.

But Kanu, unarguably, one of the most successful African players of our time, while assessing the idea of inviting Ferdinand for the event by the Governor Raji Fashola-led government, said the purported amount used in flying in the Manchester United player to Lagos was a colossal waste.

Kanu, a UNICEF Ambassador, who was guest to Search and Groom and UNICEF at an event organised by the duo organisations to mark the Children’s Day celebration, averred that the taxpayers’ money, which was sunk into the venture of bringing Ferdinand to the country, should have been used to uplift the lives of the citizenry.

"The idea of Street Soccer is commendable I must confess, but what is the significance of inviting Rio Ferdinand for the event? Kanu queried.
"If you ask me, I would say the invitation was unnecessary. The huge amount I learnt that was used in bringing Ferdinand to Nigeria should have been channeled to more useful ventures.
"A lot of children in Nigeria are in the streets without food, shelter and proper education. That huge amount of money, lavished on the England player, should have been used to better the lives of such children.

"I grew up in the streets and I know what street life is like. That’s why it pains me a great deal when I see children languishing out there.
"We should learn to channel every little penny we have as individuals or government towards uplifting the lives of the children in our streets," he advised.

Kanu, a member of the 1993 team that won the Under-17 World Cup in Japan, however, advised children to be dedicated in whatever profession they find themselves, be it mechanic, bricklaying or anything, adding that there’s no other way to success than through hard work.
"There is no miracle to success in life. If a man is dedicated to whatever profession he finds himself he will reach any height he wishes to attain.

"My advice also goes to parents who are fond of abandoning their children early in life to cater for themselves. Parents should endeavour to be responsive to their children’s needs and try to take responsibilities in bringing them up so that they will become useful citizens both to themselves and to the country as a whole.

"I praise UNICEF and Search and Groom for hatching the idea of lifting children out of poverty. I, therefore encourage other NGOs in Nigeria to emulate UNICEF in this area," Kanu stated.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/sports/2008/jun/22/sports-22-06-2008-001.htm
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by tosinadeda: 10:38am On Jun 22, 2008
i second
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by folahann(m): 6:11pm On Jun 22, 2008
Yeah!
Kanu made i very good point

but at some point in time we have to look at things in more than one way

and see which one works out better
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 22, 2008
"The idea of Street Soccer is commendable I must confess, but what is the significance of inviting Rio Ferdinand for the event? Kanu queried.
"If you ask me, I would say the invitation was unnecessary. The huge amount I learnt that was used in bringing Ferdinand to Nigeria should have been channeled to more useful ventures.
"A lot of children in Nigeria are in the streets without food, shelter and proper education. That huge amount of money, lavished on the England player, should have been used to better the lives of such children

"I grew up in the streets and I know what street life is like. That’s why it pains me a great deal when I see children languishing out there.
"We should learn to channel every little penny we have as individuals or government towards uplifting the lives of the children in our streets," he advised.

I second to that too, even third-cond  undecided. Little wonder he wasn't at the occassion.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jun 22, 2008
Nigerian politicians never miss an opportunity for a photo-op
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by akinalabi(m): 10:46pm On Jun 22, 2008
I don't see anything wrong with bringing Rio to Lagos. Not
at all.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by tosinadeda: 11:07pm On Jun 22, 2008
waste of money grin
to think that he didnt even wait till the end
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 11:33pm On Jun 22, 2008
If kitaun sees this one, he'll call it bad belle.
There's really nothing more to add to what kanu said. If MTN were the initiators, it would 've been understandable but it was the fa fa govt!
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by yemmight(m): 9:50am On Jun 23, 2008
I will say this all over again that inviting Rio to Lagos was not wasteful at all. If you are commending street soccer, why are you criticizing bringing Rio? I beg lets face it.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by abdurrazaq(m): 11:28am On Jun 23, 2008
Rio Ferdinand visit may be justified on the basis of a courtesy visit to the Lagos State Governor but, for the street soccer challenge NO. The First Eleven TV Reality Show and Football Challenge with Fash are enough reasons to know that the likes of Rio is not needed to create awareness for such shows.

This is one thing I've seen the Government has got wrong cool
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by tkb417(m): 11:57am On Jun 23, 2008
If Kanu had gone to school, he wouldnt have made such a statement. . .
now to the issue
the bringing of RIO a waste of money?

Billions have been spent on economic summits in this country; the outcomes cannot still be felt by the people on the streets. What about the visits of powerful people like the Queen of England, Clinton, Ghadaffi and co?
what economic benefits did the down trodden get from that?

im sure Kanu had organised testimonials b4 where stars were invited; how did the common man gain from that or better still, the funds used should have been shared on the streets.

If he has got issues with our CSR culture in 9ja, then he berra channel his energy to appropriate quarters.
shebi they said we shouldnt mix footie with Politics.
if to say na Viera den invite now, the kolo go like am. Let him wait for KITAUN to rule Lagos. at least, im sure say im go invite Fabreagas come 9ja

i just dey joke o. but nothing bad in RIO comin to Lagos
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 2:24pm On Jun 23, 2008
what d hell do u mean?

Whether they invite Drogba or Pele, it's still a waste of funds.

In this country we are very HYPOCRITICAL.

Today, we say Nigeria Players must be celebrated, tomorrow we say \NFA is messing our football up

This project is a commercial venture. Perhaps u need to read the details well.

Street soccer ko, aj soccer ni
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by tkb417(m): 3:33pm On Jun 23, 2008
and what the f'ck have u said?

the bringing of RIO or the street soccer project?
which one is wasteful? is the bringing of RIO detached from the commercial status of the street soccer project?
then how did you guys deduce the waste?

wont u allows the protagonists in this monkeyshine end their game b4 u start hauling stones?
have they released any report detailing inflows and outflows?
i want to know how u guys arrive at the wasteful spending

Ok, since kanu said since the down trodden wont benefit from it, then its a waste of public funds.
how can a commercial venture for the state government (im not sure oo) favour the people on the streets?

please enlighten me cos things just dont add up.
not everything that the government do will end in everybodys pocket.
yeah, like i said, how did the hosting of the CHOGM affect the common man on the streets.

abeggi

PS:der is nothing uncommon in what has happened.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 4:35pm On Jun 23, 2008
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by tkb417(m): 4:44pm On Jun 23, 2008
Ok sir!!
i have read the thread.

but, Chief, i tot you were going to show me some links. ive seen that thread before.
First off, from what i read, a FIFA licensed agent  facilitated this and Fasola just used that opportunity to host RIO being a manc himself

now, going back to the waste theory; is it the FIFA agent (the organiser of the street soccer project) that is wasting funds or Fasola for buying the tickets and hosting RIO

please, how much is that? soft dollars is what we call that in my profession.its almost intangible to the impending accrued benefits. LOL!!
now United will be playing in Nigeria. . .isnt that a good one?

STOP PRESS!!!!
nothing ominous in RIO coming to Lagos. Kanu should gerrof
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 5:25pm On Jun 23, 2008
smile4kenn:

But Kanu, unarguably, one of the most successful African players of our time, while assessing the idea of inviting Ferdinand for the event by the Governor Raji Fashola-led government, said the purported amount used in flying in the Manchester United player to Lagos was a colossal waste.

Kanu, a UNICEF Ambassador, who was guest to Search and Groom and UNICEF at an event organised by the duo organisations to mark the Children’s Day celebration, averred that the taxpayers’ money, which was sunk into the venture of bringing Ferdinand to the country, should have been used to uplift the lives of the citizenry.

"A lot of children in Nigeria are in the streets without food, shelter and proper education. That huge amount of money, lavished on the England player, should have been used to better the lives of such children.

smile4kenn:

Street soccer holds every Saturday and Sunday in 57 centres across the state with the opportunity for teams to transfer players between Mondays and Thursdays.

“We are proud of this initiative and we believe it will go a long way to help in the development of the game in Lagos,” Adeniji-Adele added.

What's the relevance of an Rio to street soccer?

Did he ever play something like that?

WHat wiould he teach the lads?

HOw I played soccer in uk with boot s or what?

Fash is a manu fan - Fash welcomed him

2+2 - u should know this invitation wasn't in the interest of the public
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 5:27pm On Jun 23, 2008

http://allafrica.com/stories/200806030193.html

he State of Aquatic Splendour and Centre of Excellence is inviting the Ferdinand as a role model fo the youths who would participate in the Street Soccer Event that is being used to boost grassroot sports in the State. Commissioner of Youth and Sports, Prince Adeniji Adele who announced the coming of the ace defender said that Governor Babatunde Fashola, himself an ardent fan of Man Utd had given his blessings to the coming of Rio Ferdinand.

"As you all know, the Governor is a Sports man per excellence and also an ardent fan of Man Utd. He is enthusiastic about the positive impact the presence of Rio Ferdinand will give to our greater tomorrows", the Commissioner, himself a staunch fan of Chelsea announced.

The commissioner who also informed that all arrangements have been concluded on the visit said that the Manchester Skipper would also inaugurate the Lagos Junior League for players between the ages of 14 and 16.

The Theme of the Street Soccer Challenge would be 'Sports, Entertainment and Education'. The Street Soccer takes place every Saturday and Sunday in 57 centres across the State with a transfer window open to teams between Mondays and Thursdays. The Theme Song for the show is "Pass The Ball" and it is produced by Michael Odesanya.

Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by bgees(m): 5:32pm On Jun 23, 2008
bringing rio ferdinand to nigeria was a waste of money. fashola, for d good he has been doing messed up. the whole thing looks to be a selfish act.remember he is also a  man united fan. and pls, WHO GIVES A Bleep ABOUT RIO FERDINAND.

2NDLY, the idea of inviting MAN UTD and portsmouth  can also be described as stupid and a waste of money.  can u imagine that those 'buisness men' in tinapa paid up to 400 million naira for man utd to play the super eagels, portsmouth and a nigerian club. now man utd claim they are going to play just a single match.

people, dont u think that amount is just too ridiculous.
hopefully, man utd wont use their key players( ronaldo ,rooney and co). and all nigerians would be dissappointed.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by tkb417(m): 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2008
What's the relevance of an Rio to street soccer?

stop missing the point bruv. He just came to flag it off. . .hes not the tutor

Did he ever play something like that?
he grew up in Peckham, he was a street boi too. can u see the similarity

WHat wiould he teach the lads?
football of course

HOw I played soccer in uk with boot s or what?
ermmm, can u explain this cos no one will understan this part. what were u trying to say?

Fash is a manu fan - Fash welcomed him
dont personalise this thing. . .and this ur point is seriously irrelevant to the issue

2+2 - u should know this invitation wasn't in the interest of the public
grin grin grin now, u missed it totally
which of them is not in the best interest of the public?
RIO coming to Lagos? RIO came to see Fashola and they used that opportunity for him to flag off the project
so what public interest are we talking about?
its just like Mandela flagging off a CHOGM conference and some dudes asking why Mandela or how the coming of Mandela will benefit them.
make una stop to this thing abeg

bringing rio ferdinand to nigeria was a waste of money. fashola, for d good he has been doing messed up. the whole thing looks to be a selfish act.remember he is also a man united fan. and please, WHO GIVES A Bleep ABOUT RIO FERDINAND
we give 25 f'cks and of course the enlightened guvnor knows more than you and he gives 100million f'cks!!!! u geddit!!

2NDLY, the idea of inviting MAN UTD and portsmouth can also be described as stupid and a waste of money. can u imagine that those 'buisness men' in tinapa paid up to 400 million naira for man utd to play the super eagels, portsmouth and a nigerian club. now man utd claim they are going to play just a single match.

hehehehehe
ignorance at the highest order!!
you think United is ur chicken eagles?
by the way, you support Liverpool. . .how much do you buy ur jersey? how much do u print names, badges and stuffs
close to 50GBP. . .to an ordinary Nigerian, its absurd. but im not ready to tell you why that amount is nothing to United!
how much is a ticket at anfield?

the point is, a private sector initiative is bringing a high profile match to Nigeria and you think a paltry 400m is too much hmmmm, advise the organisers to arrange for enyimba or wikki tourists instead

people, don't u think that amount is just too ridiculous.
hopefully, man utd wont use their key players( ronaldo ,rooney and co). and all nigerians would be dissappointed
too ridiculous? yeah just like spending 50GBP on a jersey is ridiculous
How much is Rooneys wage a week?

if you want worlds class showpiece, you pay a world class fee

how much did they build Abuja stadium? in short, lemme break it down
FOOTBALL IS BIG BIZ
capice?
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by A40(m): 7:22pm On Jun 23, 2008
Bringing Rio is not the problem honoring him ahead of more deserving players like Kanu is
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by yemmight(m): 9:20am On Jun 24, 2008
I am very certain that if Fashola had brought Drogba or Adebayo to that project we won't have all these noises. I am very sure.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by tkb417(m): 9:37am On Jun 24, 2008
@A-40
if thats the point. . .yeah, i will agree to that.
but saying its a waste of public funds is what i dont get.

@yemmight
exactly!!
they would have criticised the Guv even if it was pele or maradona
in short, we like to dey talk for 9ja well well
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 9:47am On Jun 24, 2008
tkb417:

stop missing the point bruv. He just came to flag it off. . .hes not the tutor

who says he's the tutor?

What those pikins will remember him for is what they see on TV or do u have any documentary to show his street soccer days. The likes of Ronaldo and 'dinho sha had theirs

he grew up in Peckham, he was a street boi too. can u see the similarity

You are not responding to the question

football of courseermmm, can u explain this because no one will understan this part. what were u trying to say?
don't personalise this thing. . .and this your point is seriously irrelevant to the issue

If you don't play politics, you don't see cool well

grin grin grin now, u missed it totally
which of them is not in the best interest of the public?
RIO coming to Lagos? RIO came to see Fashola and they used that opportunity for him to flag off the project
so what public interest are we talking about?
its just like Mandela flagging off a CHOGM conference and some dudes asking why Mandela or how the coming of Mandela will benefit them.
make una stop to this thing abeg

SA is a member of the commonwealth; so you see the relevance
wink

how much did they build Abuja stadium? in short, let me break it down
FOOTBALL IS BIG BIZ

We all know Abuja Stadium was built solely for the AAG 2003

capice? capisici? grin
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by tkb417(m): 2:55pm On Jun 24, 2008
@Mustay
i don tire. . .i no dey talk again
ok. na waste of money. i don gree
lol!
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by DrKitaun(m): 3:23pm On Jun 24, 2008
wow ! grin

where have I been ?

1st things 1st . . .Mustay, what is ur problem ? undecided

Fashola is our governor, the earlier u get that in ur brain the better for u . . .allow the man do his job and stop all this ur hounding moves . .WHEN WILL Y'ALL AGBAJE PEEPS STOP THIS SHOW OF SHAME ?

I wonder when Kanu suddenly became one who makes so much sense ? na peak milk hin think say we dey talk about ? I believe our footballers must bag degrees before they are allowed to make public statements tongue cool Rufai had an MBA, he doesnt yap anyhow, Okwaraji was a lawyer - - - he was sound, Olofinjana is a Chemical engineer, Enyeama has a degree, KANU HAS A HEART FOUNDATION DEGREE ! - - -I know one day my pikin go make me proud grin

whats all these sentiments about Rio hosted by BRF ? for effing sake ! the dude captained Manscum to glory ! cry even if am an Arsenal fan why shd that bug me ? ALREADY HE IS AN EMBODIMENT OF RAW STREET MATERIAL TURNED INTO FINE MATERIAL ! A PECKHAM BOY FOR THAT MATTER ! grin

do u guys bother to know the essence of the street soccer project ? how in this modern age can a learned person expect that MURI OGUNBIYI will kick off the Street soccer project in Lagos ? or even ur so-touted omo aye Obagol ? get serious y'all ! NO ONE WILL GIVE A F'CK !

WHY ARE WE NOT COMPLAINING THAT THIS SAME KANU INVITED DIGNITARIES TO LAUNCH HIS HEART FOUNDATION, AND INVITED DIGNITARIES TO HIS KANU VS FRIENDS GAME ? undecided

why didnt he just pack Enyimba players on the field to play a second string Naija side ? Idiots ! embarassed

any occasion that is being held in this manner was always going to gulp money . . .are there no contingencies for this in the budgets ? na wa for una o shocked

next time, maybe some of u guys need to ask urself IF FASHOLA SHOULD NOT BE PRAISED FOR WHAT HE IS DOING TO PLACE LAGOS WHERE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE ON THE NATIONAL MAP !
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by yemmight(m): 6:14pm On Jun 24, 2008
People have even forgotten that many states government were scrambling to give Kanu lands free of charge to build his Kanu Heart Foundation. That honour is not sufficient? Now he must be the only person to get all honours.

He should not have mentioned it self.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by lailai2(m): 12:44am On Jun 25, 2008
kanu's 1st priority might not to help the poor, it might be but he is an individual with money he worked for, he his free to do wateva he wants
we are talkin about the lagos state GOVERNMENT herehellotaxpayers' money, anyone, i very much doubt bringin rio ferdinand to flag off a street soccer tournament should rank high in their priorities considerin their consistent cry for funds
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 8:58am On Jun 25, 2008
tkb417:

@Mustay
i don tire. . .i no dey talk again
ok. na waste of money. i don gree
lol!

No mind me jare.

IOnfact this morning, I dey pray say make them don lock the thread cos I don tire to dey type grin grin grin grin wink
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 9:17am On Jun 25, 2008
sharap dia kit!

How many lives them dey save for street soccer ehn?

If them get heart disease, Fash go foot all of 'em bill abi? tongue tongue tongue
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by justkunmi(m): 9:30am On Jun 25, 2008
So in Kanu's opinion. . who shoulda been invited by the Gov??
Kadiri Ikana Oh. . Kanu himself. . wink

Until we learn to remove sentiments from things in this country, we wont grow. .

Just like I was watching TV one day and one old man who should be somewhere enjoying his pension was yapping Fashola for the Rio visit. He was saying, "we have enough footballers here in Nigeria,why should the Gov bring a white man. . ." ?

His issue was that Rio was white!!!!!! can u imagine people still think like this in 2008!!!!!. .

God help us. .
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 12:16pm On Jun 25, 2008
so u think the white guy won't think racism too? tongue
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by wormedup(m): 12:33pm On Jun 25, 2008
bloody waste of money !
kanu invited people with his own funds; and not some state's pocket !!!
the nextr time fash thinks up something else stupid, maybe he should consult those who actually generate the funds being expended !

Kitaun,
while we are at it; what all this sudden craze with local government TOUTS now
i don't recall them being used for rip-off a couple of years ago.
now they even come to offices these days ! embarassed
what's Fash doing about them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Betloaded.com - Start Winning Tickets With Betloaded Football Predictions / Stoke Signs Victor Moses On Loan From Chelsea / Do You Think Nigeria Needs A Foreign Coach?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.