Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,541 members, 7,808,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:42 PM

Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics (7304 Views)

Food Prices Rise In Lagos / Reasons Why There Would Be Hike In Food Prices This Christmas Season / What Is Nigeria's National Drink? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by eluquenson(m): 7:33am On Sep 20, 2013
The Nigeria inflation rate for the month of August has slowed down to 8.2 percent due to decline in food prices, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has said.

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) which measures inflation in August rose by 8.2 percent year-on-year, 0.5 percentage points lower from the 8.7 percent recorded July.

The Statistician General Dr Yemi Kale in his monthly statistical report said the rate of inflation slowed as a result of declines in food prices due to the onset of the harvest season.

“This has given temporary respite from the increases exhibited in the previous month. In particular, there was a noticeable moderation in prices of potatoes, yams and other tubers group, vis-à-vis other food groups.”

NBS report stated that the composite Food Index increased year-on-year by 9.7 percent in August adding that this was the first moderation in the food sub-index in three months as increasing farm supplies due to the harvest season may begin to put downward pressure on food prices.

“The rate recorded in August was 0.3 percentage points lower than the 10.0 per cent recorded in July.”
Food prices were also lower on a month-on basis. The Food sub-index increased by 0.5 percent in August, lower from the 0.7 percent recorded in July.

In August, the highest price increases were recorded in the Bread and Cereals, Meats, Fruits and Vegetable classes. The average annual rate of rise of the Food sub-index for the twelve-month period ending in August 2013 was 10.2 percent when compared with the same period in 2012, roughly unchanged from the 12 month average year-on-year change for the period ending in July.

Rates continue to hold steady in the single digit range since the beginning of the year. After trending lower in the first half of the year (from 11.3 percent in January to 5.5 percent in June), the core sub-index has trended upwards for the second consecutive month.

The Urban composite CPI was recorded at 146.8 points in the month in review, an 8.4 percent increase compared with levels recorded in August 2012. “This was also 0.4 percentage points lower than the 8.8 per cent recorded in July.”

The corresponding Rural National CPI recorded an 8.1 percent year-on-year change in August, lower from the 8.6 per cent recorded in July by 0.5 percentage points while on a month-on-month basis, the rates of growth recorded by the Urban and Rural All-items indices while positive, slowed for the second straight month. “The Urban All-items index increased by 0.3 percent in August; down from 0.6 recorded in July, while the Rural All Items index increased by 0.2 percent; 0.3 percentage points lower from 0.5 percent recorded in July.”

http://dailytrust.info/index.php/news/5874-food-prices-slow-down-august-inflation-to-8-2

Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by dgitrader(m): 7:39am On Sep 20, 2013
True, but majorly at wholesale prices. Not sure of retail levels.

1 Like

Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by 247notire(m): 7:43am On Sep 20, 2013
Stastical jargons. In Naija,wat goes up neva comes down.

14 Likes

Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by nedu2000(m): 8:06am On Sep 20, 2013
Gari is still N500/custard container
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by MistadeRegal(m): 12:46pm On Sep 20, 2013
Liars!! Every food price remains as it's been
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by sojax2cool(m): 12:48pm On Sep 20, 2013
Please when will 1naira be equal to 1 dollar? Mtcew....yeye talk.
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by Mpeace(m): 12:49pm On Sep 20, 2013
Its obvious say, Person wey write this thing no dey go market. Which food price decline? Abegi tell us another lie wey we no fit confirm.

5 Likes

Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by drstan(m): 12:50pm On Sep 20, 2013
nedu2000: Gari is still N500/custard container
ops! N500, guy tel me where u day so dat i go day import 4 u make u day sale at N400, see business!!!

2 Likes

Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by nerodenero: 12:50pm On Sep 20, 2013
Which agency is responsible for informing Nigerians if corruption rate has declined?Nonsense!!!
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by honeric01(m): 12:52pm On Sep 20, 2013
If i hear!
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 20, 2013
bad news for some enemies of progress.
they always like bad stat about Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by BigBen10: 12:56pm On Sep 20, 2013
On what basis was all this calculation made? From their offices? I have never heard or seen NBS in the local market asking for price of anything.
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by collynzo2(m): 12:56pm On Sep 20, 2013
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by MistadeRegal(m): 12:59pm On Sep 20, 2013
drstan: ops! N500, guy tel me where u day so dat i go day import 4 u make u day sale at N400, see business!!!
Gotcha! So na una dey pray make everything dey cost abi? So that those ones go come dey give us decline statistics!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by tspun(m): 12:59pm On Sep 20, 2013
sojax2cool: Please when will 1naira be equal to 1 dollar? Mtcew....yeye talk.
continue dreaming.

1 Like

Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by pickabeau1: 1:07pm On Sep 20, 2013
where?
I still buy my rice at 10,500
Bread is 300 for sliced bread
Eggs are a 1000 a crate
And my titus is 300 per single fish

2 Likes

Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by Cherish20(f): 1:08pm On Sep 20, 2013
Nothing has changed! Just that new yam has replaced the old dry yam!!

3 Likes

Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by Hamazz1: 1:14pm On Sep 20, 2013
Y do this people enjoy concoctting figures n statistics that does not reflect wht the common man is going through this is how sometime back anty ngozi said unemployment stood at 30,33% just a little above that of Spain yet can I compare this two economies they forged statistics n figures abt nigerias GDP in GODs name where is the best avenue to measure an improvement in the economy ?the life of a common nigerian then how come the economy the standard of living. Is improving n yet a nigerian knows noting about it insecurity at its peak poverty at its peak unemployment at its peak Nigeria is at the peak of under development n yet this incompetent government is talking abt reelection.for those that weren't born during the June twelve travesty the Nigeria we live now is worst than that but its never to late to make a change.
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by lurvy: 1:16pm On Sep 20, 2013
[size=18pt]This is good news, I hope the price of GARRI has also been affected![/size]
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by Jakeattah(m): 1:17pm On Sep 20, 2013
Please is it this Nigeria or is there another Nigeria i dont know about

2 Likes

Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 20, 2013
Lie, a mudu of garri has increased to 200 naira, a mudu of rice is still 350-400 naira, Elubo amala has just increased to 250 per mudu. small semovita is now 220 from 200, spaghetti is now 120 from 100 naira. A big bag of mama gold rice is now 10500 naira. Where the price dey come down dey go? Liars.
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 20, 2013
Which bureau did this statistics biko nu?

1 Like

Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by yuzedo: 1:42pm On Sep 20, 2013
HALT!!!! Dodo + tea are still espensive in my area!!! angry angry undecided

4 Likes

Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by Ifems(m): 1:47pm On Sep 20, 2013
What kind of fictitious report is this.They'd rather say that prices are on all time high not telling us this jargon.Even a three year old can testify.
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by kaze4blues(m): 1:49pm On Sep 20, 2013
Useless statistics.

Lie if the century.

Nothing wey go up for naija come down.
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by Stunner1(f): 1:55pm On Sep 20, 2013
9ja can liee
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by Kx: 2:09pm On Sep 20, 2013
Since we are talking statistics,
does the NBS know that the rate of poverty in Nigeria is reportedly at a whopping 70%?
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by Ichliebedich(f): 2:13pm On Sep 20, 2013
Story, na which market dem take do statistics
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by kkkp: 2:15pm On Sep 20, 2013
Which Nigeria?
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by oluamid(m): 2:32pm On Sep 20, 2013
Does this mean Mama Ada plate of eba is no longer #250?

Wow. Good news. Time to start ordering for extra.
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by miqos02(m): 2:32pm On Sep 20, 2013
pickabeau1: where?
I still buy my rice at 10,500
Bread is 300 for sliced bread[b]
Eggs are a 1000 a crate[/b]
And my titus is 300 per single fish

that crate of egg too dey expensive na, e no suppose pass 800
Re: Food Prices Have Declined In Nigeria - National Bureau Of Statistics by AkinDavid2: 2:37pm On Sep 20, 2013
NBS should justify their continue existence with valid data and stop publishing negative report.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eating Yam Without Water Can Be Ruled As Suicide Pls Don't Try It. / Bread Dipped In Hot Chocolate? / Whale Found @ Agaja Beach, Bonny Island, Rivers State, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.