Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,880 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:09 AM

Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria (133933 Views)

Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / Musiliu Obanikoro: The Most Deceived In The Nigerian Political System. / Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria by Joel3(m): 8:52pm On Sep 20, 2013
[size=15pt]PRE-COLONIAL TRADITIONAL POLITICAL SYSTEM IN NIGERIA[/size]

1. Hausa/Fulani Pre-Colonial System of Administration
2. Yoruba Traditional Political System
3. Igbo Traditional Political System

HAUSA/FULANI PRE-COLONIAL SYSTEM OF ADMINISTRATION

It was based on Emirate system. The paramount authority was with Emir. The Emir was assisted in his administration by a number of office holders.

i. Galadima: - He administered by capital
ii. Waziri: - He was head of all officials
iii. Madawaki: - Comande of army
iv. Hakimi: - District head

The law was based on Sharia i.e. Islamic legal system. The Emir’s court was the highest in the land.

FUNCTIONS OF AN EMIR

i. He appointed his of officials e.g Madawaki etc
ii. He saw to enforcement of Sharia and presides over Emir’s court
iii. He allocated farm land
iv. He performed ceremonial functions
v. He was spiritual head of the Emirate
vi. He made laws, and maintain order
vii. He imposed and collected taxes

FEATURES
i. It was based on absolute monarchy, i.e. Emir was autocratic
ii. The powers were centralized
iii. Elaborate system of taxation was in place
iv. No separation of power but fusion of powers
v. Based on feudal mode of production and land was the major means of production.

YORUBA TRADITIONAL POLITICAL SYSTEM

It was headed by a king as Oba. Council of alders consisting of senior Chiefs assisted him in the administration. The council helped in implementing the law. They could be made by either Oba or Council of elders or both. Oba’s court was the highest in the kingdom.

FEATURES
i. It was constitutional monarch
ii. No formal system of taxation but tribute payment
iii. No separation of power
iv. There was system of checks and balances
v. It was based on feudal mode of production

IGBO TRADITIONAL POLITICAL SYSTEM

The largest political unit was the village/village group. This was by kindred then family unit.

FEATURES
i. Powers were decentralized
ii. Republic in Nature
iii. No system of taxation
iv. No separation of power
v. Direct democracy when it comes to decision making

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria by acethean(m): 12:28am On Sep 21, 2013
the hausa political system was the best
Re: Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria by Rossikk(m): 1:09am On Sep 21, 2013
acethean: the hausa political system was the best

How did you reach that conclusion?
Re: Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria by Joel3(m): 7:48am On Sep 22, 2013
i think they are. but the igbo is kind of cool as for true democracy.

1 Like

Re: Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria by Joel3(m): 5:59pm On Sep 23, 2013
Re: Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 23, 2013
The Igbo system has the

"Council of Elders" as the highest decision making body.

These elders are real elders.
The are not voted in, if the "current elder" dies or is incapacitated, the next elder takes over.
Before going for a meeting that concerns the family, he would call for a meeting of the family.
The family will deliberate and present their views and then send the elder.

The Representative must must hard to project the views and protect the interest of those that sent him.
It has nothing to do with money or wealthy.

The young men served as law enforcement officers.
The council of elders would send them to bring somebody who had refused a summon or arrest a rebellious child.

There were no jails but 3 methods were used to punish evil doers.

1. Fine for Minor offense
2. Disassociation for serious offense (no member of the communicate will communicate with the person)
3. Expulsion from the land for deadly offense. (this is like a capital punishment).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria by Joel3(m): 8:27pm On Sep 23, 2013
good one dear.
Re: Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria by steph2sweet(f): 1:53pm On Dec 05, 2015
Re: Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria by steph2sweet(f): 1:54pm On Dec 05, 2015
Woow, I mst thank those who contributed positively to this thread, it has added to my findings for my assignment, especially those that talked about the igbo pre colonial system . Joel3 and noblezone
Re: Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria by basilo101: 2:58pm On Dec 05, 2015
In igboland, council of elders is the highest decision making body, it is a resemblence of the House of reps and senate except they are not voted but choosen by age. The igwe is a figure head and does not weild absolute power, his decision is based on resolution by the council of elders. The oldest democracy in Africa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria by speedyGonzales: 3:51pm On Dec 05, 2015
[size=15pt]Nigeria will function better under a direct democracy system... else we will keep failing...[/size]

1 Like

Re: Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria by zinnyamyk1: 11:00pm On Jan 30, 2017
☺It is not controversial that the Igbos practised the most acceptable and contempoary system. In this sense, the structure and organisation of the system is just in line with the 'golden' system that the 'critically-thinking' thinking whites have introduced.Democracy,shaking hands ,popular participation,election and other wonderful political ideas in the world today were first our ideas.we are wonderful! . Deragold.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

"President Jonathan Is Chairman Of Boko Haram" - Maiduguri Truck Drivers To BBC / Wo Lawal Mato Is Dead! President Buhari's Bodyguard Dies / Updates From The IPOB Declared Sit-At-Home Protest (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.