Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,385 members, 7,781,105 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:58 AM

Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? (36630 Views)

List Of Vehicle Papers Needed To Drive A Vehicle In Nigeria / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? / The Implications Of Buying A Vehicle With High Odometer Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by imsuboi(m): 6:51pm On Sep 21, 2013
Oga sienna don land grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 21, 2013
miqos02: how many auto dealers sell diesel vehicles?

How many car users in Nigeria buy their cars from Europe or North America?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 21, 2013
coolJust give me the car even if na natural gas I go drive am

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 21, 2013
shejane: Dot kw much abt diesel cars thou bt I love my fuel car

You love your "fuel" car? What do you class as fuel? Because fuel is defined as ANYTHING that can burn.

Petrol.
Diesel.
Gas.
Wood.
Paper.Clothes.
Kerosene.
Paraffin.
Alcohol.
Coal.

So your statement above is incorrect.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by sCun: 7:00pm On Sep 21, 2013
Ikenna351: Simple, because Americans don't drive diesels. The moment they start, Petrol cars will become "problematic" in Nigeria, to Nigerians.

Ikenna.
Do you have to add your name at the end of every post? It's so gay
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ikenna351(m): 7:03pm On Sep 21, 2013
Scun: Do you have to add your name at the end of every post? It's so gay

You need help.

Ikenna.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by FindOut(m): 7:04pm On Sep 21, 2013
Ikenna said something earlier which may be quite funny to many people but is actually true. If Americans had been using lots of diesel engined vehicles in the past 10 years, there's no doubt that that Nigerian roads would have been full of them now. Now though, as more americans are becoming a lot more conscious about MPG numbers, the diesel engine fan base is increasing...especially with Volkswagen, who appears to be the automaker that has the highest number of diesel engined cars on the market.

Diesel engines USED TO BE relatively slow compared but to their petrol counterparts but modern day diesel engines are not slow, especially the recent CDis (?) & TDIs found in MB & VW respectively. Plus they are very fuel efficient too such that despite the increased pump price of diesel, it MIGHT still be cheaper to run a diesel powered car in Nigeria.

FACT: Some diesel engined cars (notably the 2.0 TDI found in the latest model Golf, Jetta & that beautiful Passat) have similiar or even better MPG figures than HYBRID CARS....& of course they are pretty quick too.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Sep 21, 2013
Siena:

Read my write-up, do some independent research, and come back to edit your comment, or write another one.
How did you know so much about cars? I envy you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Sep 21, 2013
Denn: the quality of diesel in nigeria is always questionable...even at fuel stations.

The quality of pump gasoline in Nigeria is questionable too.

Denn: secondly, how many auto mechs can properly maintain a diesel engine in nigeria?

I agree with this. But diesel techs DO exist in Nigeria. You simply have to pay to play. I'm sure there are large trucks, buses, bulldozers etc in Niger. And I challenge anyone to tell me a bulldozer runs a petrol engine. These ARE serviced and rebuilt - repaired in Nigeria, so....?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Sep 21, 2013
Siena:

Read my write-up, do some independent research, and come back to edit your comment, or write another one.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by sCun: 7:06pm On Sep 21, 2013
It's because those whom we import second-hand cars from don't use them much either.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Sep 21, 2013

This section clearly isn't for you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by 50calibre(m): 7:07pm On Sep 21, 2013
uboma:

How did you arrive at the above deductions? You are wrong mate. The reverse is the case

Ok!

- What are the prices of petrol & diesel in Nigeria? ( I know diesel has better economy )

- I agree petrol cars aren't necessarily faster than diesel cars, most especially modern one.

- From personal experience, I can say if you allow the diesel to finish in your car, you'd have to clear the system first of air bubbles ( most especially older engines )

- Petrol & diesel, which is easier to find in Nigeria?

Correct me anywhere you think I'm wrong.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by FindOut(m): 7:13pm On Sep 21, 2013
50calibre:

Ok!

- What are the prices of petrol & diesel in Nigeria? ( I know diesel has better economy )

- I agree petrol cars aren't necessarily faster than diesel cars, most especially modern one.

- From personal experience, I can say if you allow the diesel to finish in your car, you'd have to clear the system first of air bubbles ( most especially older engines )

- Petrol & diesel, which is easier to find in Nigeria?

Correct me anywhere you think I'm wrong.

With some fairly recent and even not so recent petrol engined cars, if you allow the petrol finish in your car while driving, you might run into similiar or even worse problems.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by ITbomb(m): 7:18pm On Sep 21, 2013
The easiest way to go in Nigeria is to buy whatever your mechanic can fix .
Go for Toyota

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by papi365: 7:24pm On Sep 21, 2013
Osama10: Also with diesel pump price at 170 per litre people are scared.
WHICH KIND JAMB QUESTION BE DAT,SAY Y NAIJA PPLE NO DEY USE DIESEL. D GUY WEY BROUGHT DIS YEYE QUESTION ON THREAD,UNA NEED 2 EXAMINE HIS MEDULA. MTCHEEW
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by FindOut(m): 7:25pm On Sep 21, 2013
ITbomb: The easiest way to go in Nigeria is to buy whatever your mechanic can fix .
Go for Toyota

The easiest way to go in Nigeria is to save up all your hard earned money, get a Toyota Camry so pricey there's no money for insurance & and have it stolen in a month. So yes, Go for Toyota!

Tell what you said to the MANY people out there who have fallen victim of the scenario above. Just a few hours ago, my bro was telling me about a guy who drives a Volvo S40 now when his Toyota Camry thin light got stolen. Oh, and what's more? Dude says he spends less on fuelling his S40 than he did with his Camry...which is not surprising even if that Camry is a 4 cylinder and especially if the S40 is an European non turbo engined spec. Yes Toyotas do have a strong reputation for reliability but you guys sometimes talk as if Toyotas don't give problems or are the most fuel efficient cars in the world...which is WRONG.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by FindOut(m): 7:28pm On Sep 21, 2013
papi365: WHICH KIND JAMB QUESTION BE DAT,SAY Y NAIJA PPLE NO DEY USE DIESEL. D GUY WEY BROUGHT DIS YEYE QUESTION ON THREAD,UNA NEED 2 EXAMINE HIS MEDULA. MTCHEEW

After all the previous comments above yours? A brain Surgeon visitor to this thread will have no doubts at all as to whose meduLLa really and urgently needs to be examined smiley

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 21, 2013
papi365: WHICH KIND JAMB QUESTION BE DAT,SAY Y NAIJA PPLE NO DEY USE DIESEL. D GUY WEY BROUGHT DIS YEYE QUESTION ON THREAD,UNA NEED 2 EXAMINE HIS MEDULA. MTCHEEW

The OP created this thread, because this is a Discussion Board, and this is how we all learn.

Wait a minute! You feel the OP's brain needs to be examined, for starting this thread. You read the title, clicked on the "yeye" thread. What do YOU need then? I wouldn't say your brain needs examination, because a brain has to exist within the confines of your extremely large, ugly, bony and misshapen cranium for any sort of examination to take place!

Now crawl back under your algae-laden rock, and mingle with your slimy kind, or take a long walk off a very short pier into the lagoon. No one would miss you.

Because no one cares.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by papi365: 7:35pm On Sep 21, 2013
Find Out!:

After all the previous comments above yours? A brain Surgeon visitor to this thread will have no doubts at all as to whose meduLLa really and urgently needs to be examined smiley
HAA UNEMPLOYMENT E NO GO BETA 4 U COS NA UNEMPLOYMENT DEY MAKE PPLE LIKE DEY SAY SOMTIN ON DIS KIND YEYE QUESTION. LET ME ASK U, D GUY WEY BROUGHT DIS STUPID QUESTION DOES HE NT KNW D PRICE OF DIESEL AND D POOR ECONOMIC CONDITION OF NAIJA? MTCHEEW,HE BROUGHT IT 4 PPLE LIKE U WEY NO GET WORK. DNT WORI BY DECEMBER WE GO GIVE U AWARD AS D BEST NAIRALAND COMMENTATOR.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by shootsight(m): 7:37pm On Sep 21, 2013

Oga do u have any idea who u're talking †̥σ ? Did Mr ikenna approach u ? Do u know Wђã† is called a signature ?
Βε̲̣ careful !

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by obinna222: 7:38pm On Sep 21, 2013
I drive a 2012/13 Golf TDI (diesel) and I must confess that its a car that I am greatly in love with. I do Lagos to Phc with a half tank of fuel. Then when it comes to speed, no petrol car, not even the V6 comes close.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by shootsight(m): 7:41pm On Sep 21, 2013
ITbomb: The easiest way to go in Nigeria is to buy whatever your mechanic can fix .
Go for Toyota
Here comes the Toyota crew ! ;∂. ℓ☺ℓ
I give up
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by redcliff: 7:43pm On Sep 21, 2013

Lmao!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by redcliff: 7:45pm On Sep 21, 2013
Ikenna351:

You need help.

Ikenna.

Loool. For a moment i thought you were talking to the oga at the top. Apparently, ot turns out not to be him
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by obinna222: 7:47pm On Sep 21, 2013
My fuel gauge at Ore and at Owerri.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Amadaz(m): 7:49pm On Sep 21, 2013
To buy fuel dis days dey hard talk less of diesel.... patiently waiting for the invention of a water powered engine....
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by shootsight(m): 7:50pm On Sep 21, 2013
papi365: HAA UNEMPLOYMENT E NO GO BETA 4 U COS NA UNEMPLOYMENT DEY MAKE PPLE LIKE DEY SAY SOMTIN ON DIS KIND YEYE QUESTION. LET ME ASK U, D GUY WEY BROUGHT DIS STUPID QUESTION DOES HE NT KNW D PRICE OF DIESEL AND D POOR ECONOMIC CONDITION OF NAIJA? MTCHEEW,HE BROUGHT IT 4 PPLE LIKE U WEY NO GET WORK. DNT WORI BY DECEMBER WE GO GIVE U AWARD AS D BEST NAIRALAND COMMENTATOR.
Oga u don't even write Ǧ☺☺d readable English !
Its ASUU I blame anyway , that explains why ur type troll nairaland. Damnnit

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by papi365: 7:51pm On Sep 21, 2013
Siena:

The OP created this thread, because this is a Discussion Board, and this is how we all learn.

Wait a minute! You feel the OP's brain needs to be examined, for starting this thread. You read the title, clicked on the "yeye" thread. What do YOU need then? I wouldn't say your brain needs examination, because a brain has to exist within the confines of your extremely large, ugly, bony and misshapen cranium for any sort of examination to take place!

Now crawl back under your algae-laden rock, and mingle with your slimy kind, or take a long walk off a very short pier into the lagoon. No one would miss you.

Because no one cares.
GUY MAKE I ASK U,PAMPERS DEY 4 UR BOMBOM? IF E NO DEY,I ADVICE U TO BEGIN 2 USE PAMPERS. MUMU

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by redcliff: 7:51pm On Sep 21, 2013
obinna 222: I drive a 2012/13 Golf TDI (diesel) and I must confess that its a car that I am greatly in love with. I do Lagos to Phc with a half tank of fuel. Then when it comes to speed, no petrol car, not even the V6 comes close.

Bros make i no lie, i just envy this ur talk

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ikenna351(m): 7:52pm On Sep 21, 2013
Ask an average Nigerian what car he would like to buy, he would tell you "American spec Toyota Bleep or American spec Honda Bleep. Ask an average Nigerian what car he has. Whether the car was shipped from Germany or Canada, it's still an American spec. A typical average Nigerian!

The other day, I drove into a Plaza. Someone walked up to me and asked, "Where and how did you get a Peugeot 406 American spec? Please, am interested to get one like yours too." I asked him why he believed it was an American spec. He said because the car has Daytime Running Lights. Of course, only in America that cars with DTRL exist. What more could i say to him. I was not surprised anyway. After all, someone once argued with me sometime in the past the he saw a Peugeot 406 American spec which he was interested to buy. I asked him, he said the dealer told him it was an American spec. While examining the car, it was a RHD converted one. Probably, Americans now drive RHD! Even though Canada and USA didn't smell Peugeot 406 in their countries, Nigerians still branded them American specifications. After all, who wouldn't want to drive American spec car?

We can argue all we want. But I will say it again, if Americans start driving Japs diesels and ditch the petrol counterparts, Nigerians will change their songs, "Diesel Toyota and Honda are more reliable, while petrol versions are more problematic". Whatever Americans accept, is accepted in Nigeria too. After all, American cars have better features than other continent specs. Smh!

As for those shouting that Nigerian mechanics can't fix diesel cars. If I may ask, is it the petrol cars that they know how to fix? Step out of this thread, view the first few pages of this section and come back and prove me wrong. All you will see is how Nigerian mechanics have grounded some vehicles that had only minor issues. One may have a blown fuse, take his car to a mechanic or auto electrician to troubleshoot and fix. The car will end up having a fried ECU before its towed out of the workshop or sold as scrap. I can go on and on. If trial and error is what they have been doing in fixing your petrol cars (for the ones that are lucky to drive their cars out with added complex problems), then it shouldn't be an issue for them to continue with the trial and error method on the diesel cars as well. After all, Diesel cars engine system has less electrical components: less sensors than the petrol counterparts. So less nightmares for you to undergo each time you open your bonnet for them.

Ikenna.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by FindOut(m): 7:54pm On Sep 21, 2013
papi365: HAA UNEMPLOYMENT E NO GO BETA 4 U COS NA UNEMPLOYMENT DEY MAKE PPLE LIKE DEY SAY SOMTIN ON DIS KIND YEYE QUESTION. LET ME ASK U, D GUY WEY BROUGHT DIS STUPID QUESTION DOES HE NT KNW D PRICE OF DIESEL AND D POOR ECONOMIC CONDITION OF NAIJA? MTCHEEW,HE BROUGHT IT 4 PPLE LIKE U WEY NO GET WORK. DNT WORI BY DECEMBER WE GO GIVE U AWARD AS D BEST NAIRALAND COMMENTATOR.

So you had to come back here to punish us with more terrible English language. Anyway truth is even if I were indeed jobless, chances that i would get a job before you are pretty high going by the fact that I can at least read, comprehend and learn....unlike you who appears to reason and write like a kid in nursery school and have just about the learning capacity of a medically certified blockhead.. Heck, Primary 1 kids communicate better in English than you do! Did you skip primary school??

Now Buzz off.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles (photo) / Ogun State: This Is How Much I Bought Petrol For Today. / The New 6-wheel-drive Mercedes G63 AMG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.