Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:23 AM

Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? (16973 Views)

Nigerian Education Sector Needs Attention (fynestboi) / FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities / FG Upgrades Four Colleges Of Education To Varsities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 21, 2013
Hello Everyone. :-)
As a student in a Nigerian University, would you drop your education in Nigeria to start over from the beginning abroad, for a course generally perceived to be inferior to the one you are currently studying in Nigeria. You however don't mind studying the course. By abroad, I mean the U.S
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by AdeniyiA(m): 10:16am On Sep 21, 2013
@B, I won't think twice, no course studied abroad Is neither useless nor inferior
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Nobody: 10:22am On Sep 21, 2013
Adeniyi A.:
@B, I won't think twice, no course studied abroad Is neither useless nor inferior
Lol. the course I'm studying here is Law, and I in 300 (I'm supposed to be in 400 tho, but ASUU..)...so my Dad's sceptical bout leaving

1 Like

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Davo93(m): 10:33am On Sep 21, 2013
Yes, I can. It actually depends, perhaps i'm studying a course that i am not happy with, i can start all over abroad but it were to be my dream course already, then i may not provided i am in my penultimate or final year.

...for a course generally perceived to be inferior to the one you are currently studying in Nigeria.
Oops, i might not want to dump what i've got for the less rated course abroad if the gap is wide. For example, if i am studying Medicine and Surgery here in Nigeria, i can't dump it for any science course(Botany, Biochemistry, Microbiology e.t.c) abroad.

4 Likes

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 21, 2013
Davo93: Yes, I can. It actually depends, perhaps i'm studying a course that i am not happy with, i can start all over abroad but it were to be my dream course already, then i may not provided i am in my penultimate or final year.

Oops, i might not want to dump what i've got for the less rated course abroad if the gap is wide. For example, if i am studying Medicine and Surgery here in Nigeria, i can't dump it for any science course(Botany, Biochemistry, Microbiology e.t.c) abroad.
Thanks for your contribution. This is btw Law and Communications and media studies. I really dnt mind any of the courses. I want to be a Lawyer but I really find Nigerian Law boring, the whole process, the court system, and I dnt look forward to court visits, I didnt find what I expected when I applied and it killed my enthusiaasm. As for communication and Media studies, I really dnt mind.

1 Like

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Davo93(m): 12:22pm On Sep 21, 2013
Since you don't mind taking up the new course at the expense of the Law your currently studying now, fine! I believe studying what makes you feel better at a nice atmosphere is a great idea. Besides, this ASUU bruhaha of a thing is not even making the whole system here interesting.

1 Like

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Idrismusty97(m): 12:56pm On Sep 21, 2013
Absolutely totally confidentially Yes!.even if i am in NYSC i can leave to start afresh for bachelor Degree

12 Likes

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Sep 21, 2013
Idrismusty97: Absolutely totally confidentially Yes!.even if i am in NYSC i can leave to start afresh for bachelor Degree
LoL
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by cashkid18(m): 4:32pm On Sep 21, 2013
yes of cuz wit all pleasure
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by 4mula22(m): 4:33pm On Sep 21, 2013
Naaahhhhh!!!

I bet most pple that are saying they'll leave really don't know what they r talking about.
I had the opportunity when I was in my year 3 in uniport but I didn't go since I already had good grades
I have friends who studied in the UK, came out with good results, but are back to 9ja hustling with me.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 21, 2013
Yes.

As I have come to see, Nigerian degree is like toilet paper even inside Nigeria sef.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 21, 2013
Without thinking twice
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:34pm On Sep 21, 2013
The Gods are alive.
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by ednut1(m): 4:34pm On Sep 21, 2013
If na 8 years ago will do, nowadays after d foreign degree u go still land for naija job market to hustle noni

1 Like

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Ichliebedich(f): 4:35pm On Sep 21, 2013
Big YES
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Dejiro(m): 4:35pm On Sep 21, 2013
Though I will advice that if you are close to graduating you should finish before coming to do Masters abroad.
However, coming abroad for your education is worth it if you can afford it.
In fact, I am starting a thread on this very soon.

1 Like

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by imperiouxx(m): 4:36pm On Sep 21, 2013
What do you mean by abroad? Is it the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Germany and very few other european countries?

If that's it and continuing studies, [size=15pt]YES!!! It worth it 1 billion times![/size]

1 Like

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Alexgeneration(m): 4:37pm On Sep 21, 2013
Not when am in my finals
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by dasdexter(m): 4:37pm On Sep 21, 2013
hell yeah, especially if its a computer/engineering related course, cos dats d birth of techengineering, & dose guys got all d facilities & human resources compared to our mediocre 19th century labs & old profs who don't even know d latest windows os, lecturing u assembly lang, 4rm 1st yr to final yr.

1 Like

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Clemzy16(m): 4:38pm On Sep 21, 2013
Adeniyi A.:
take it easy brother, abroad could be benin republic.

IN OTHER NEWS, Gun Men Attack Westgate Mall in Kenyan killing atleast 20, 50 wounded.
Source: CNN

3 Likes

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 21, 2013
Depends on the country and the course.

I can't abandon MedSurg to go study Botany outside when I know I'd still come back to Naija to look for job.

And it's better to remain in Naija than going to some other country to study
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by pesty100(m): 4:41pm On Sep 21, 2013
This op is funny ooo it's like asking a kid would you drop your akara to collect cake

9 Likes

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by lovetterrison(m): 4:44pm On Sep 21, 2013
Idrismusty97: Absolutely totally confidentially Yes!.even if i am in NYSC i can leave to start afresh for bachelor Degree

ODE

5 Likes

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by trolling(m): 4:44pm On Sep 21, 2013
pDude: Yes.

As I have come to see, Nigerian degree is like toilet paper even inside Nigeria sef.
lol
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by pesty100(m): 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2013
At the #END® of the day...... a #TIME® comes when i think about #THINGS® like should i go out of this country or stay...... I think I would go

3 Likes

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Audinowing(m): 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2013
I know u re just kidding. If not, this is inferiority complex at its peak. Always value what you have.
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by 3ace(m): 4:46pm On Sep 21, 2013
Chie! Our leaders have a lot to do in this country. I just pray they abandon their selfish interests and focus on the core problems of our country.
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by highmood(m): 4:46pm On Sep 21, 2013
Honestly I wouldn't mind at all. The reason been that, the learning environment is more conducive. Secondly the opportunities available after studying that course that seems inferior there in abroad is high than in Nigeria and even after the study, companies sort after those abroad rather than those that studied here. Thirdly, there is no possibility that the school will round off that academic program at the expected year in Nigeria but its 98% possible for a school to finish its program at the expected year in abroad.
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by MrMac10(m): 4:47pm On Sep 21, 2013
Nigerians are the most people suffering from Inferiority Complex I blame The Government and ASUU for ur kweshun U mean if u are in final year in a Nigerian university And u get the chance to travel overseas u would prefer to start all over again I pray for the day Nigerians will start believin in themselves

1 Like

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Littlehooper: 4:47pm On Sep 21, 2013
Bolushalom: Thanks for your contribution. This is btw Law and Communications and media studies. I really dnt mind any of the courses. I want to be a Lawyer but I really find Nigerian Law boring, the whole process, the court system, and I dnt look forward to court visits, I didnt find what I expected when I applied and it killed my enthusiaasm. As for communication and Media studies, I really dnt mind.

I DON'T COMPREHEND WOT U'VE WRITTEN ABOVE. U ARE NOT COMMENTING BASE ON D TOPIC
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by amnestylaw1(m): 4:48pm On Sep 21, 2013
Bolushalom: Thanks for your contribution. This is btw Law and Communications and media studies. I really dnt mind any of the courses. I want to be a Lawyer but I really find Nigerian Law boring, the whole process, the court system, and I dnt look forward to court visits, I didnt find what I expected when I applied and it killed my enthusiaasm. As for communication and Media studies, I really dnt mind.

I will talk from experience. Before I got admission to OAU, I had studied Mass Comm up to the ND level. At OAU, I was in LLB 3 when the opportunity to travel abroad to further my education arrived. People advised me not to unless I finish my legal studies but I said NO. Of course I got admitted into Law at the University of London International Programmes. This year my mates are just finishing from Law school in Nigeria while I am still at school here. I found out that even when I graduate from London International Programmes Law, I cannot be a Barrister and Solicitor in Nigeria because the programme I am taking is considered distance learning by the Council for Legal Education in Nigeria. Any Law degree earned via distance learning or part time outside Nigeria (even within Nigeria) is not recognized for NYSC mobilization and Law School mobilization.

So, I would advise you to finish your law programme in Nigeria and then go abroad to continue your LLM. That is better. But, if you must travel abroad, then please do not attend a distance learning program- especially if it is Law. With Communication and Media Studies, I would like that course because I am currently eyeing teaching positions in one of our universities or colleges. Of course you may work in the media as a presenter or journalist. My one cent.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Direct Entry Into Pharmacy In Nigeria Universities / Which Public Universities In Nigeria Are Suitable To Study Medicine? / MURIC To Nigerian Law School: Stop Provoking Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.