Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,664 members, 7,805,754 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication (16706 Views)

NUC Dissociates Self From Alleged Nigerian University Ranking / NUC Dissociates Self From Alleged NUC Ranking Of Nigerian Universities / OAU Students Disown Self From New NANS President Who Claims To Be Their Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 21, 2013
lastpage:
sorry, "Boyo" is NOT i "his department" as you claimed.
"Boyo" is in Physics Dept while this guy is doing a PGD in the Dept of Chemical Engineering, a stone throw away from the Faculty of Science.

Even at that, can we have a "link" to where Boyo claimed his concept is "proven scientifically"?
Thanks.

Lastpage!

Also note d recommendation put forth by the lecturer u r backing. Its all in the link.

[url]mambaonline.com/2013/09/11/student-scientifically-proves-gay-marriage-is-wrong/[/url]
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by drdams: 6:44pm On Sep 21, 2013
If dats ur point, I wud gladly counter u by saying Dr. Boyo acquired his D.Sc. (Ph.d) from China and well known for some Technological Innovations.
hitman2911:

I am not surprised about this information. I met some Nigerian lecturers who are doing their Phd in my institution and was shocked about their level of education and queried their Masters degree.

These guys don't even know how to develop their research protocol and busy looking for contractors to do it for them just as they do back home. Some were doing wrong research for months. I kept on asking how do these guys teach in the higher institutions. Some just look for old projects and change title and name. Some years ago I asked my niece the title of her on going BSc project and she couldn't even remember. I got to know she just took her aunt old project and presented it as new

How do you explain a prof calling press conference to announce findings some even write academic books and do launching as if it a political rally
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by drdams: 6:44pm On Sep 21, 2013
If dats ur point, I wud gladly counter u by saying Dr. Boyo acquired his D.Sc. (Ph.d) from China and well known for some Technological Innovations on and off Campus.
hitman2911:

I am not surprised about this information. I met some Nigerian lecturers who are doing their Phd in my institution and was shocked about their level of education and queried their Masters degree.

These guys don't even know how to develop their research protocol and busy looking for contractors to do it for them just as they do back home. Some were doing wrong research for months. I kept on asking how do these guys teach in the higher institutions. Some just look for old projects and change title and name. Some years ago I asked my niece the title of her on going BSc project and she couldn't even remember. I got to know she just took her aunt old project and presented it as new

How do you explain a prof calling press conference to announce findings some even write academic books and do launching as if it a political rally
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by lastpage: 6:45pm On Sep 21, 2013
Silkmoth33:

Boyo may not have said so! But he should have protested and deny ties linking him to d pgd as mentor.

Here, [url]mambaonline.com/2013/09/11/student-scientifically-proves-gay-marriage-is-wrong/[/url]
1000+ Likes

How can l back Boyo, on this kind of madness?
I chop winch? grin

I know Boyo one-on-one at Unilag for close to 25yrs now, (academically) and l would still stick my neck out that He would NEVER ascribe to this kind of foolishness.

Trust me on that.

Lastpage
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by mbhs139(m): 8:31pm On Sep 21, 2013
shortgun: So what are they saying undecided

This write-up is supposedly coming from professors, doctors,phd holders e.t.c, yet one cannot make sense of the article.

I've always said, the problems of Education in Nigeria is with the Lecturers and managers of our Universities.

How come the road side mechanics,bricklayers,carpenters are able to train their apprentices to become experts and in turn train others, yet our lecturers with their doctorate degrees n ph.ds cannot produce a graduate who can create job for himself not to talk of creating employment for others.

...and the worst part is that when a young person tries to create one for his/her self, it is these same set of people that tries to kill your idea. I'm referring to one particular professor who manages university consultancy services. She has been taking me through serious pains.
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 21, 2013

This write-up is supposedly coming from professors, doctors,phd holders e.t.c, yet one cannot make sense of the article.

I've always said, the problems of Education in Nigeria is with the Lecturers and managers of our Universities.

How come the road side mechanics,bricklayers,carpenters are able to train their apprentices to become experts and in turn train others, yet our lecturers with their doctorate degrees n ph.ds cannot produce a graduate who can create job for himself not to talk of creating employment for others.

As in ehn, I just wonder.
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by cachal: 8:58pm On Sep 21, 2013
To all the Gay in disguise on NL your plans will not work in Jesus name.. I wonder how people will be supporting Evil act..
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by highmood(m): 9:03pm On Sep 21, 2013
3ace: If the research was weak and cheap, how come it made news on THISDAY Newspaper?
did u read the publication yourself if not pls do. It's possible a person pays the media to publish his or her work. The media has no option as long as they get paid.
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by kossynerule: 9:14pm On Sep 21, 2013
undecided
lastpage:

The fact that you confirm that you DONT UNDERSTAND AND CANT MAKE SENSE OF WHAT IS BEING SAID, is an indictment and an indication that you are a poorly educated fella with very low intelligence, if any at all! That rebuttal was written in the simplest of English!

You asked a very foolish question using the road-side mechanic/bricklayer and carpenter analogy.
You are one of those reasons this country is backward, people like you think "Copper and Gold" are the same thing simply because they are both "metals"! angry angry

For your education, bricklayers, road-side mechanics, and their "level" have their place in every society.
They are called "Artisans".
They fulfill a very important role in all societies and are not to be despised BUT please, understand that they are very different from Professional Engineers, Architects, Builders, Scientists, e.t.c.

I know you dont know the difference between them (from what you wrote) but let me inform you that there is a different role for Engineers (University trained) and say, a Mechanic.
In the world of science, there is what is called SPECIALIZATION, which breeds efficiency!.

Despite their difference (which l will explain to you soon), they work together and compliment each other.
The job of a University trained Engineer IS NOT to go under a vehicle to change the fuel pump or drain the Oil just like it is not the job of a University trained Architect to carry the bricklayers 'knife' and lay bricks or mix cement with sand!
Their JOB IS TO DESIGN.
They design to specification, as required. They work mostly with their brains (not hands) and put their ideas on paper!
That is why they are called RESEARCHERS

The bricklayers/Road-side mechanic's job is to "BUILD"
.... (based on the design they are given by a trained and professional Engineer/Architect) using their hands and legs. Their job is mostly "physical" as opposed to "mental", for an Engineer.

If all the world's Engineers spent all their time doing repetitive and mundane jobs like "Artisans", the world will still be stuck in the age of Abacus machine and Donkey-ride travel.

Next time, please get a good University Education but if you cant (for intelligence or other reasons) be a good Artisan and stick to your end of the bargain. Dont be a road-side mechanic or bricklayer and call yourself "Engineer"! grin grin

Lastpage!
U really need to leave this country.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by Crixina(f): 9:15pm On Sep 21, 2013
Pls people,how do quote two different post at once,an how do I embolden a particular line in a post? Thanks.
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 21, 2013
cachal: To all the Gay in disguise on NL your plans will not work in Jesus name.. I wonder how people will be supporting Evil act..

Well basically, its good to be on d neutral side or inbetween or rather shutting up than to actually express our grotesque prosecuting ethical views on a budding right movement; most specially when it puts whats left of our reputation as africas giant on d front row for public ridiculing

[url]mambaonline.com/2013/09/11/student-scientifically-proves-gay-marriage-is-wrong/[/url]

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by ozoemeka(m): 10:09pm On Sep 21, 2013
BAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

They realized their funding will go to ZERO if they keep affiliating with that Stanley DUDE grin grin grin RESEARCH indeed... Where are all the supporters?

gokuu: DISCLAIMER

Our attention has been drawn to a publication containing research purportedly written by one of the Part Time Postgraduate Diploma Students in the Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Lagos - Stanley Amalaha, titled “Science of Gay Marriage” in THISDAY Newspapers of 5th September, 2013 and on several blogs on the Internet.

The University of Lagos writes to dissociate itself in its entirety from the actions, publications and research of this individual. We further state, for the avoidance of doubt, that his publication has nothing to do with his programme and has no relationship to his studentship of the University. Indeed our postgraduate diploma students ordinarily only take conversion courses to improve their capability for the chosen specialization and do not undertake research. The case of the writer who has a background in Education (Chemistry) is not different.

Although the University is a market place of different views and ideas, its platform should not be used for the propagation of ill-conceived, unsubstantiated and ill-digested opinions that have no basis in rigorous empirical research. The University of Lagos, which stands for excellence in teaching and research, cannot and should not be associated with such puerile and pseudo-scientific postulations.
The University reaffirms its mission, which is to be a top-class institution for the pursuit of excellence in knowledge through learning and research as well as in character and service to humanity.

Toyin Adebule,
Deputy Registrar
(Information)

Back to news page |posted on 20, Sep 2013
http://unilag.edu.ng/newsdetails.php?NewsID=1332
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by ozoemeka(m): 10:25pm On Sep 21, 2013
I assumed Thisday held high standards to journalism in nigeria, i guess not

eGuerrilla:

And since when did Thisday become a veritable academic journal?

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by redsun(m): 10:55pm On Sep 21, 2013
That was a dumb research.It was just as the same as saying he believes in god with no empirical proof.
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by ChiziDaniels(m): 11:09pm On Sep 21, 2013

This is really pathetic if what you claim is true! If you can't get anything from this post, then you're in utter jeopardy!
Are you sincerely saying the truth about yourself or are you just beefing?
I can help you explain it but not in the exam hall oh!

The university is writing through the deputy registrar to formally and official separate herself from, declare that she is not in support of, and disconnect herself from the publication of one of her post graduate students. She states that the publication [owing to the attentions it is generating on such a sensitive and controversial issue as gay marriage] has no connection with the student's academic program and thus not part of his academic research. They wish to inform the general public that the student is not writing for them nor expressing their position on the issue; therefore the university is withdrawing her reputed image from such unfounded publication.

I'm sorry I don't know how long I can do this for you! I think you'll need special lessons to improve on this deficiency.
Well, there's hope for you cos all is not lost, at least you could recognise that it's post, only that you couldn't make anything out of it.
But from your comment, you seem to be literate? I'm just wondering and pondering on so many things about you now!

Anyway, I wish you luck!

4 Likes

Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by slimyem: 11:13pm On Sep 21, 2013
This Stanley Ama-whatever is a confirmed clown. His spoken english is atrocious. I was present when he was being interviewed recently and I laughed my heart out listening to him talk his trash.
Unilag did right by dissociating themselves from his brand of rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by slimyem: 11:21pm On Sep 21, 2013
hitman2911: I can see that many on Nairaland are really ignorant of what it entails to put forward a scientific research finding.

Some of the comments here shows some of us are product of failed educational settings. What is in the Unilag rejoinder that is difficult to understand ? If you don't know what is been discussed then keep quiet.

When did a newspaper became a peer reviewed journal or scientific conference for research presentation?
Few months ago a Prof at Uniben claimed to have found cure for HIV/AIDS, and called a press conference, he has to apologize when he was queried for his folly action.

If you really understand chemistry and physics, you will be appalled by this Unilag guy so called findings - an introductory technology magnetic experiment of primary /junior secondary school being showcased by a postgraduate student and claiming to have used to disproved homosexuality.

Why do we celebrate mediocrity? Many people who understood research on Nairaland actually spoke against the report earlier in the week. You need to go on internet and see comments from the global scientific community blasting Nigeria, calling it a state with failed education country, which is the true state of things . Just because a f... lish old man and ignorant reporter decided to open our yansh in stuwpidity.

The issue became a hot cake because of its homosexuality connection. Part of scientific research ethics is that you don't bring your prejuiced religious or sexuality into your research and produced a biased finding.

Whoever is this guy supervisor who approved sure nonsense needs to be sanctioned for dragging Unilag and Nigeria on floor, this is not a local herbal medicine claims, this touches the international community.
If you have anything against homo then don't drag others into it.
That dude is the author and promoter of his nonsense.No supervisor approved what that nonsense. I know this firsthand.
Its better in writing. You'd cry if you hear him trying to prove and explain this research.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by lastpage: 12:18am On Sep 22, 2013
kossynerule: undecided
U really need to leave this country.
Why naah?
Dis is my Kontiri and no place like home!

But seriously, l have lived and worked abroad for quite a while (and l still do when l want anyway) and l see these being put into practice.

I see "Artisans" (especially bricklayers) picking-up a Building plan "DESIGNED" by University trained Architects and Builders ... and implementing that plan brick-by-brick, with the Engineers just doing "checking and occasional supervision". I see their "Auto mechanics" picking up the blue-print of a car (Designed by a University trained Engineer!) and studying it, to diagnose certain knotty problems.

But mind you, these Artisans gets paid heavily, if not more at times, for their work! Infact, "labor cost/workmanship" is the biggest cost in any venture over there.
You need to see how they use the "Jeeps, 4x4" we glorify in Nigeria, to carry dirty boots, cement and their trade tools. grin grin grin

In Nigeria, we dont give them the proper recognition and l guess thats why most of our people prefer to be "shirt and tie Engineers" (easy access to stealing!) even when our educational curricula is suffering and deteriorating. wink

***Sings: l love my Kontiri l no go lie, na inside am l go live and die, when e push me so, l push am so, e push-me, l push-am, l no go go**** grin grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by Nobody: 12:25am On Sep 22, 2013

Go to these threads and see why we have people like Stanley Amalaha:

Pictures of University Libraries

Pictures of University Classroooms

Compare them to the shiit we have in Nigeria.

Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by lastpage: 12:30am On Sep 22, 2013
ozo_emeka: BAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

They realized their funding will go to ZERO if they keep affiliating with that Stanley DUDE grin grin grin RESEARCH indeed... Where are all the supporters?

Its not even about funding in the first place. Even my former primary school will dissociate itself from such nauseating assertions made by a supposedly "Graduate" of a higher institution (where did he get his Bsc sef?)

Its about "BRAND, IMAGE AND CREDIBILITY" ..... the same thing our "Oga at the Top" was trying to deface and destroy when he atrociously decreed (in his dreams anyway) that he has changed the "Brand's name' to MAULAG! shocked shocked

Unilag would conveniently make enough money from JUST selling "entrance forms" only! grin grin
There is a reason everyone (including those that finished from other universities in Nigeria) wants to associate with that "BRAND NAME" Unilag! wink

Good product they say, needs no 'hard-sell'. kiss kiss kiss

Greatest of the Greatest Akokite!, G-R-E-A-T!!

Lastpage!
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by cold(m): 12:55am On Sep 22, 2013
dr dams: Olodo, d Dr. Boyo I know doesnt stand as an Authority in that kind of research, dats not his specialization so aw can e back it??
Btw, d std is a PGD Chem Eng. Std nt in Dr. Boyo's Dept..

The guy even lack a science background based on research, e studied Education Chemistry..
You type like this and probably lay claim to intelligence.Your idiocy must be hereditary
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by EvilBrain1(m): 1:15am On Sep 22, 2013
UNILAG should have reacted to this much earlier so that the Huffington Post and other sites that carried the story could have included an update with the school's response. And their response should have included a disclaimer by Henry Boyo. By now everybody who read about this would have concluded that UNILAG is a rubbish school and forgotten about the details.

This is too little too late.
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by debbleopto: 1:42am On Sep 22, 2013
Chuksphil2go: yes dey will disassociate demselves nw,if he had won a Nobel Prize dey will com out in millions to celebrate him.our environment is not encouraging atolll....if u failed u condemned

it does not appear you finished schooling with this kind of thinking. so so poor and irrational. if son say raping preteens is good, does it me you should support him? won't you dissociate yourself from his idea?
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by debbleopto: 1:43am On Sep 22, 2013
Chuksphil2go: yes dey will disassociate demselves nw,if he had won a Nobel Prize dey will com out in millions to celebrate him.our environment is not encouraging atolll....if u failed u condemned
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by lastpage: 1:45am On Sep 22, 2013
Evil Brain: UNILAG should have reacted to this much earlier so that the Huffington Post and other sites that carried the story could have included an update with the school's response. And their response should have included a disclaimer by Henry Boyo. By now everybody who read about this would have concluded that UNILAG is a rubbish school and forgotten about the details.

This is too little too late.

You know we people naah, ...very "reactive" instead of being "proactive".
I bet the reaction even came when someon eread it and called their attention to it.

Prof probably did not have electricity in his office all day long! Even his internet access was epileptic! grin grin grin grin

Naija tinz as those End of time boys will say! shocked shocked

Lastpage!
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by debbleopto: 3:02am On Sep 22, 2013
lastpage:

Honestly, my intention was just to correct the impression created by one poster equating a bricklayer to an University trained Engineer, l never bothered to dig into what that "Prof" Chibuihem Amalaha "proved"!
I now went to read the article and lo and behold, l am convinced that it is not only that useless "Engineer" that is to blame but even Thisday newspapers and its Editor must be products of same failed education!

Just imagine, a simple rhetoric like "Like-Poles repel" has suddenly become a Scientific research and invention! shocked shocked
Even chickens are not left out!
He even wants to win Nobel prize? Abi Thisday Newspapers is now awarding its own Nobel prize? grin grin

Dis my Kontiri people no go kill persin o! grin grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by spardee(m): 6:10am On Sep 22, 2013
My take on this issue is basic. Most of our days in institutions were spent schooling and not being educated, that's why professors and lecturers in higher institution don't respect intelligence but bow to brilliance.
Pathetic!
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by mayanchi700(m): 8:28am On Sep 22, 2013
Mexyz: @shortgun, God bless u my brother. I can't even read any meaning to this writeup.
Olodo pple..u r nt meant to understands every words der...bt summary of d content...its show u must be a book-long scientist dat don't knw hw words interplays

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by Crixina(f): 11:49am On Sep 22, 2013
Chizi Daniels:

This is really pathetic if what you claim is true! If you can't get anything from this post, then you're in utter jeopardy!
Are you sincerely saying the truth about yourself or are you just beefing?
I can help you explain it but not in the exam hall oh!

The university is writing through the deputy registrar to formally and official separate herself from, declare that she is not in support of, and disconnect herself from the publication of one of her post graduate students. She states that the publication [owing to the attentions it is generating on such a sensitive and controversial issue as gay marriage] has no connection with the student's academic program and thus not part of his academic research. They wish to inform the general public that the student is not writing for them nor expressing their position on the issue; therefore the university is withdrawing her reputed image from such unfounded publication.

I'm sorry I don't know how long I can do this for you! I think you'll need special lessons to improve on this deficiency.
Well, there's hope for you cos all is not lost, at least you could recognise that it's post, only that you couldn't make anything out of it.
But from your comment, you seem to be literate? I'm just wondering and pondering on so many things about you now!

Anyway, I wish you luck!
na wah to you,an you took him serious.
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by ghettodreamz(m): 2:33pm On Sep 22, 2013
Confused Registrar.

Confused University..

Confused Country...

RUBBISH
Re: UNILAG Dissociates Self From Unscientific Publication by EreluY(f): 7:54pm On Sep 22, 2013
I searched for the article (http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/science-of-gay-marriage/158265/ ) and read it. UNILAG is right in disassociating itself from the publication which in my opinion is a bogus one. If this guy is really persuaded that he has discovered something unique, he should have sent his findings (in form of an academic paper) to top notch, peer review journals (nature, etc). If such journals accept and publish his work, UNILAG wouldn't disassociate itself from his findings. But because his claims are not only bogus but also fraudulent and unscientific, the best UNILAG can do is to distance itself from it. Chibuihem Amalaha, the author of the newspaper article is a homophobic who unintelligently mixes religious beliefs with shallow scientific claims. Just to debunk one of his claims: On The Physics of Gay Marriage. The reality is that atomic structures in human bodies react to magnetic fields in all manner of different ways -- not at all comparable to a simple magnet. This diversity of reactions is what makes MRI scans possible. So, what is he talking about? This idi0t also claims to have proved that Pi is not equal to 22/7. Which is rather sad, if he believes it, since Archimedes proved that in about 250 BCE.

Although there are outstanding scholars in Nigeria, Chibuihem Amalaha is representative of the majority of Nigerian graduates, graduate students and academics. All in all, academic standards seem to have reached a new low in Nigeria. This guy has certainly made a complete fool of himself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Oke-ogun Polytechnic (saki) 2016/2017 Admission Processes / Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today / Auchi Poly 2016-2017 Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.