Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,881 members, 7,806,543 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... (10212 Views)

Job Opportunities As A Pharmacologist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... by Jaysleeves(m): 12:11am On Sep 22, 2013
Am a 200l pharmacology undergraduate wondering what the future holds for us...judging by the huge fallout and criticism given to BMS courses by medicine and other professional allies..please any pharmacologist or physiopharm should pls share their thoughts and job opportunities available for pharmacology graduates....pls ur responds will be kindly appreciated
Re: Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 22, 2013
In as much as am a graduate of medical laboratory science with a basic knowledge of pharmacology and toxicology, i would want to study pharmacology in my MSc. From my own point of view pharmacology is a very promising field, it involves the study of drugs, what the body does to drugs Pharmacokinetics, what the drug does to the body Pharmacodynamics, genetic factors as regards to drug metabolism Pharmacogenetics and use of drugs in therapy Pharmacotherapy. Thou its a very complex and versatile field, i would want to say you got to know your onion,what i mean is that you must be a professional and be well trained to be relevant in the field. Pharmacologist are researchers who either research about new drug or modify existing drug.

culled from Wikipedia
Pharmacology (from Greek φάρμακον, pharmakon, "poison" in classic Greek; "drug" in modern Greek; and -λογία, -logia "study of", "knowledge of"wink is the branch of medicine and biology concerned with the study of drug action,[2] where a drug can be broadly defined as any man-made, natural, or endogenous (within the body) molecule which exerts a biochemical and/or physiological effect on the cell, tissue, organ, or organism. More specifically, it is the study of the interactions that occur between a living organism and chemicals that affect normal or abnormal biochemical function. If substances have medicinal properties, they are considered pharmaceuticals.

The field encompasses drug composition and properties, synthesis and drug design, molecular and cellular mechanisms, organ/systems mechanisms, signal transduction/cellular communication, molecular diagnostics, interactions, toxicology, chemical biology, therapy, and medical applications and antipathogenic capabilities. The two main areas of pharmacology are pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics. The former studies the effects of the drug on biological systems, and the latter the effects of biological systems on the drug. In broad terms, pharmacodynamics discusses the chemicals with biological receptors, and pharmacokinetics discusses the absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion (ADME) of chemicals from the biological systems. Pharmacology is not synonymous with pharmacy and the two terms are frequently confused. Pharmacology, a biomedical science, deals with the research, discovery, and characterization of chemicals which show biological effects and the elucidation of cellular and organismal function in relation to these chemicals. In contrast, pharmacy, a health services profession, is concerned with application of the principles learned from pharmacology in its clinical settings; whether it be in a dispensing or clinical care role. In either field, the primary contrast between the two are their distinctions between direct-patient care, for pharmacy practice, and the science-oriented research field, driven by pharmacology.

Dioscorides' De Materia Medica is often said to be the oldest and most valuable work in the history of pharmacology.[3] The origins of clinical pharmacology date back to the Middle Ages in Avicenna's The Canon of Medicine, Peter of Spain's Commentary on Isaac, and John of St Amand's Commentary on the Antedotary of Nicholas.[4] Clinical pharmacology owes much of its foundation to the work of William Withering.[5] Pharmacology as a scientific discipline did not further advance until the mid-19th century amid the great biomedical resurgence of that period.[6] Before the second half of the nineteenth century, the remarkable potency and specificity of the actions of drugs such as morphine, quinine and digitalis were explained vaguely and with reference to extraordinary chemical powers and affinities to certain organs or tissues.[7] The first pharmacology department was set up by Rudolf Buchheim in 1847, in recognition of the need to understand how therapeutic drugs and poisons produced their effects.[6]

Early pharmacologists focused on natural substances, mainly plant extracts. Pharmacology developed in the 19th century as a biomedical science that applied the principles of scientific experimentation to therapeutic contexts.[8] Today Pharmacologists harness the power of genetics, molecular biology, chemistry, and other advanced tools to transform information about molecular mechanisms and targets into therapies directed against disease, defects or pathogens, and create methods for preventative care, diagnostics, and ultimately personalized medicine.
Re: Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... by midetinz(m): 4:18pm On Sep 22, 2013
Its all about U!!!
Re: Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... by Jaysleeves(m): 8:58pm On Sep 22, 2013
there seems not to be any positions for pharmacologist in government parastatals,military or even pharmaceuticals and breweries so this got me thinking if the future is bright for us
Re: Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... by riczy(m): 1:43pm On Oct 14, 2016
midetinz:
Job opportunities are enormous for us especially in pharmaceutical business. I started as a medical rep then was promoted through regional managers to business managers. I'd worked wt notable organizations like May and Baker Nig PLC and I'm still relevent in the sector. Its all about U!!!
I have a PGD in pharmacology, I need a job can u assist, my mail is: ericirins@gmail.com
Re: Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... by Jaiyecollabo: 3:30am On Dec 06, 2016
I just graduated from school as a pharmacologist. can you help me get a Job so that immediately after service, I'll stay work
Re: Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... by mstarmarv: 1:59pm On Jul 27, 2017
pharmacology is messed up study pharmacy
Re: Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... by kehinde12: 8:43am On Aug 06, 2017
midetinz:
Job opportunities are enormous for us especially in pharmaceutical business. I started as a medical rep then was promoted through regional managers to business managers. I'd worked wt notable organizations like May and Baker Nig PLC and I'm still relevent in the sector. Its all about U!!!

Please I need a job. I just finished my NYSC and need a job. My email address is salaamazeezat@gmail.com
Re: Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... by chiefboomite204(f): 4:25pm On Aug 08, 2017
I am a biochemist... i am thinking of during pharmacology for my M.sc but with what u guys are saying, I think it is under rated...
Re: Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... by latonyn(m): 9:11am On Aug 09, 2017
chiefboomite204:
I am a biochemist... i am thinking of during pharmacology for my M.sc but with what u guys are saying, I think it is under rated...

Am also a graduate of biochemistry, the truth is we are already in it, so we must forge ahead. Go for your msc. If you are thinking of lecturing, i will advice you continue with bch.
Re: Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... by pastorabuoma(m): 10:31pm On Aug 17, 2018
Please, let me use this opportunity to ask this pressing question. I have a brother who is about going to study pharmacology as a course. He was to know if a pharmacologists can own and run his own drugstore or pharmacy shop?

If he studies pharmacology - not pharmacy - can he also own his own chemist or pharmacy store and sell drugs to people? Thanks.
Re: Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... by Meel: 7:51am On Aug 19, 2018
pastorabuoma:
Please, let me use this opportunity to ask this pressing question. I have a brother who is about going to study pharmacology as a course. He was to know if a pharmacologists can own and run his own drugstore or pharmacy shop?

If he studies pharmacology - not pharmacy - can he also own his own chemist or pharmacy store and sell drugs to people? Thanks.

Anybody can own a pharmacy or chemist shop. But not everyone can run a pharmacy shop. To be in charge of a pharmacy store, you must be licensed by PCN. So if you're not licensed and you own a pharmacy store, you will require the service of a Licensed pharmacist.

N.B pharmacologist are not licensed to run a pharmacy store.
But anyone with the financial capability can own a pharmacy store.

(1) (Reply)

Cips Vs. Cipsmn / 5 Signs You’re Underpaid / Graduate Loan Or Student Loan Which One Has A Better Economic Value

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.