Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,944 members, 7,806,733 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? (21159 Views)

The Allegory Of Adam And Eve / No Christian Will Be Left Behind On Rapture Day : Parable Of The 10 Virgins / The Man Who Saw Adam,abel,lot And Jonah (the Call) Must Read. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by drdams: 9:12am On Sep 22, 2013
"Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights." (Jonah 1:17).
just Curious the kind of Fish it would have been. God works in a Mysterious way cos this beat scientific theories and its definately not a Whale..

Or is it a Story that has underlying meaning using the Sea, Jonah & the fish as a case study?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by 360command: 10:28am On Sep 22, 2013
Its the blue whale. Any other fish go chop Jonah finish

3 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 11:11am On Sep 22, 2013
dr dams:
just Curious the kind of Fish it would have been. God works in a Mysterious way cos this beat scientific theories and its definately not a Whale..

It was a very big fish. But seriously do you really believe that crap? Stop and think for a minute. How can someone be swallowed in a fish and live in it? How big do you think Jonah was that he would live in a fish?

You take this as evidence of God working in mysterious ways? Consider this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1pCudKUIRg

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Judas2013: 11:14am On Sep 22, 2013
dr dams:

Each time christians use the Jonah story i always laugh. Christians can believe anything sha! Anyway as long as their are ignorant people on the planet,the rich will remain rich.

7 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by drdams: 11:27am On Sep 22, 2013
Hmm, its nt intended to tackle or tongue lash Christianity or d existence of God.. Lets talk abt d Mystery from a Logical perspective.
Judas2013:

Each time christians use the Jonah story i always laugh. Christians can believe anything sha! Anyway as long as their are ignorant people on the planet,the rich will remain rich.

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by mcfynest(m): 11:27am On Sep 22, 2013
THE STORY IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS....

PLS READ THE STORY AGAIN FROM BEGINNING.

SEA IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS

FISH IS NOT LITERAL FISH.

2 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by drdams: 11:31am On Sep 22, 2013
Whale isnt a Fish.
360command: Its the blue whale. Any other fish go chop Jonah finish

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by drdams: 11:33am On Sep 22, 2013
Are you saying its a Parable?
The new testament would remind u a particular chapter is a parable, d book of Proverbs would xplain its concept too.. I doubt if its not a literary fish.
Well, We r getting somewhere..
mcfynest: THE STORY IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS....

PLS READ THE STORY AGAIN FROM BEGINNING.

SEA IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS

FISH IS NOT LITERAL FISH.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by RayMcBlue(m): 11:45am On Sep 22, 2013
---
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by mcfynest(m): 11:53am On Sep 22, 2013
dr dams: Are you saying its a Parable?
The new testament would remind u a particular chapter is a parable, d book of Proverbs would xplain its concept too.. I doubt if its a literary fish.
Well, We r getting somewhere..

Nope. IT IS ALEGORICAL..
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by drdams: 12:08pm On Sep 22, 2013
I disagree, .. Well, if it is, can u xplain without ur said Allegory
mcfynest:

Nope. IT IS ALEGORICAL..
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by mcfynest(m): 12:20pm On Sep 22, 2013
dr dams: I disagree, .. Well, if it is, can u xplain without ur said Allegory

Since you already disagreed what else can i do
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Image123(m): 12:52pm On Sep 22, 2013
thehomer:

It was a very big fish. But seriously do you really believe that crap? Stop and think for a minute. How can someone be swallowed in a fish and live in it? How big do you think Jonah was that he would live in a fish?

You take this as evidence of God working in mysterious ways? Consider this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1pCudKUIRg

It was a big fish no doubt. The Bible says GOD had prepred the fish. The God clause in the event made it supernatural, so you do not have to expect the normal for God had prepared the fish. If God had not prepared the fish, Jonas would not have lasted three days in it.

26 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 1:00pm On Sep 22, 2013
Image123:

It was a big fish no doubt. The Bible says GOD had prepred the fish. The God clause in the event made it supernatural, so you do not have to expect the normal for God had prepared the fish. If God had not prepared the fish, Jonas would not have lasted three days in it.

So it was a "special fish" that swallowed Jonah? Seriously you guys will believe anything at all as long as it is written in the Bible.

5 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Image123(m): 1:32pm On Sep 22, 2013
thehomer:

So it was a "special fish" that swallowed Jonah? Seriously you guys will believe anything at all as long as it is written in the Bible.
Why do you think it was a special fish?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by drdams: 1:36pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ok, am Confused...
mcfynest:

Since you already disagreed what else can i do
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 2:12pm On Sep 22, 2013
Image123:
Why do you think it was a special fish?

Because adult humans cannot live in ordinary fish for three days.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Image123(m): 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2013
thehomer:

Because adult humans cannot live in ordinary fish for three days.

Well, we have no reason to believe it was a special fish. Wat we are told is that God was involved, GOD had prepared a fish. God is the special one. When the donkey spake, when the animals came to Adam to be named, when the animals came to Noah's ark, when the bush was on fire nd was not burned, when the Red Sea parted, it was not because they were special,it was because the special God was involved.

96 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Delafruita(m): 2:58pm On Sep 22, 2013
Image123:

Well, we have no reason to believe it was a special fish. Wat we are told is that God was involved, GOD had prepared a fish. God is the special one. When the donkey spake, when the animals came to Adam to be named, when the animals came to Noah's ark, when the bush was on fire nd was not burned, when the Red Sea parted, it was not because they were special,it was because the special God was involved.
are u for real?a man in the belly of a fish for 3 frigging days?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 3:10pm On Sep 22, 2013
Image123:

grin grin So Jonah lived in an ordinary fish for three days? How big do you think Jonah was?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Image123(m): 3:21pm On Sep 22, 2013
thehomer:

grin grin So Jonah lived in an ordinary fish for three days? How big do you think Jonah was?
How adequate do you think God's preparation was?

5 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Image123(m): 3:23pm On Sep 22, 2013
Delafruita: are u for real?a man in the belly of a fish for 3 frigging days?
No, it was actually Jonas in the belly f the fish for three days and three nights. It's called 'EXTRAordinary'.

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 3:32pm On Sep 22, 2013
Image123:
How adequate do you think God's preparation was?

Obviously you'll believe anything. I may as well tell you that Jonah lived in an elephant for 7 days after he got out of the fish.

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by drdams: 3:41pm On Sep 22, 2013
R u an Atheist?
thehomer:

Obviously you'll believe anything. I may as well tell you that Jonah lived in an elephant for 7 days after he got out of the fish.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Image123(m): 3:43pm On Sep 22, 2013
thehomer:

You'll have to come up with something more special than 'the writings of herdsmen'. Why don't i believe you? How adequate do you think God's prepartion was? Does the Bible state that God prepared the fish? You ths intelligrent fellas should come up with something more believable and complete. The Bible is believable and complete.

2 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 3:43pm On Sep 22, 2013
dr dams: R u an Atheist?

Why do you ask?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 3:45pm On Sep 22, 2013
Image123:

You'll have to come up with something more special than 'the writings of herdsmen'. Why don't i believe you? How adequate do you think God's prepartion was? Does the Bible state that God prepared the fish? You ths intelligrent fellas should come up with something more believable and complete. The Bible is believable and complete.

The Bible isn't believable, you're just gullible. You don't believe me because you've spent your gullibility on the Bible.

3 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Image123(m): 3:49pm On Sep 22, 2013
thehomer:

The Bible isn't believable, you're just gullible. You don't believe me because you've spent your gullibility on the Bible.

hehehehe. It would be fair to say that you are wasting your faith on yourself.

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Image123(m): 3:51pm On Sep 22, 2013
thehomer:

Why do you ask?

Because you obviously do not regard God perhaps.

2 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by mcfynest(m): 4:18pm On Sep 22, 2013
i am quite not in the mood to type much.....

FIRST- SEA IN THE BIBLE MEANS A MASS OF PEOPLE. Revelation 17:15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the LovePeddler sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

2. FISH OF THE SEA MEANS THE SPIRIT OF THE GENTILES... i guess you just need to understamd grn ch 1 to get this properly.

now, equipped with this facts, lets roll...

Jonah 1:4 But the LORD sent out a wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the ship was like to be broken.

NOW, THIS IS SIMILAR TO THIS VERSE BELOW RIGHT

Mark 4:37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.

read the story again and read mark 4:36 to the end then you should be able to decipher the rest.

5 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by drdams: 4:30pm On Sep 22, 2013
Thanks,
* Inside the Belly of the Fish for 3days* who r d Gentiles? If they are Godly people ,being among them for 3days wudnt av been d best punishment for him and if they arent, God wud av sent him to preach to them.
mcfynest: i am quite not in the mood to type much.....

FIRST- SEA IN THE BIBLE MEANS A MASS OF PEOPLE. Revelation 17:15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the LovePeddler sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

2. FISH OF THE SEA MEANS THE SPIRIT OF THE GENTILES... i guess you just need to understamd grn ch 1 to get this properly.

now, equipped with this facts, lets roll...

Jonah 1:4 But the LORD sent out a wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the ship was like to be broken.

NOW, THIS IS SIMILAR TO THIS VERSE BELOW RIGHT

Mark 4:37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.

read the story again and read mark 4:36 to the end then you should be able to decipher the rest.

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by mcfynest(m): 5:24pm On Sep 22, 2013
when YHWH sent his messengers to isreal, were there no other place he could have sent them did you read what i told you to read

just the way you are here and not on other social ntwk, dont you think you would have also been there

Proverbs 20:24 Man's goings are of the LORD; how can a man then understand his own way?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"Everything About President Buhari Is Deceptive And Selective" - CAN / Why Pator Chris Okotie Divorced His Wife Stephanie Henshaw / Salvation Ministries 5 Nights Of Glory 2020: Everything You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.