Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,156 members, 7,807,524 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? (21160 Views)

The Allegory Of Adam And Eve / No Christian Will Be Left Behind On Rapture Day : Parable Of The 10 Virgins / The Man Who Saw Adam,abel,lot And Jonah (the Call) Must Read. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by iamsosuperfly: 6:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
Rogers210: If you measure out Noah's ark, you will discover it isn't big enough to contain all the occupants as claimed by the bible. This biblical stories are largely mythical. I think they are mainly written to impress kids.
I understand what you mean, because a lot of the stories are miraculous (God can perform miracles). I am not trying to contend with you, just giving my opinion and some knowledge I have. First off, you say the ark wouldn't have been big enough, but according to the biblical dimensions, it would have been more than 100,000 cubic feet. And you are right, that is not big enough to hold 2 of every animal on earth. Good thing a vast majority of the species on earth are capable of living in water, and birds can fly. Scientists have actually speculated that getting as few as 2,000 could have done the job. The Bible is not a storybook for little kids. Some things in the Bible are not true stories, like the Good Samaritan. It is totally possible, but it was a parable (a story to teach a principal), but the story of Jonah is true. How was there a fish big enough to swallow him? I do not know. I do not have a logical explanation, although there might be one. This is what I believe. God is omnipotent, and by that logic, a gnat could swallow a man. If God created the entire world, all the cosmos, and all living things, you really think he couldn't get a guy inside of a fish? Thats what I believe.

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by LORETA: 5:52pm On Sep 12, 2014
hahahahah really
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by mcfynest(m): 7:51am On Sep 17, 2014
iamsosuperfly:
I understand what you mean, because a lot of the stories are miraculous (God can perform miracles). I am not trying to contend with you, just giving my opinion and some knowledge I have. First off, you say the ark wouldn't have been big enough, but according to the biblical dimensions, it would have been more than 100,000 cubic feet. And you are right, that is not big enough to hold 2 of every animal on earth. Good thing a vast majority of the species on earth are capable of living in water, and birds can fly. Scientists have actually speculated that getting as few as 2,000 could have done the job. The Bible is not a storybook for little kids. Some things in the Bible are not true stories, like the Good Samaritan. It is totally possible, but it was a parable (a story to teach a principal), but the story of Jonah is true. How was there a fish big enough to swallow him? I do not know. I do not have a logical explanation, although there might be one. This is what I believe. God is omnipotent, and by that logic, a gnat could swallow a man. If God created the entire world, all the cosmos, and all living things, you really think he couldn't get a guy inside of a fish? Thats what I believe.

THESE STORIES ARE ALLEGORICAL, THEY ARE WRITTEN IN A MANNER THAT THEY BELIEVE WE COULD UNDERSTAND.
THANKS

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"Everything About President Buhari Is Deceptive And Selective" - CAN / Why Pator Chris Okotie Divorced His Wife Stephanie Henshaw / What's Your Favorite Name For God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.