Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? (3253 Views)

Is Size An Issue In Love? / Do You Consider Height A Major Issue In Choosing A Partner? / Is Age Barrier An Issue In Marital Relationship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Cynluv(f): 9:36pm On Sep 22, 2013
An already planned wedding is about to be canceled, great people, wonders they said shall never end, a guy has threatened to canceled his wedding just because his bride does not wan't t leave her family,s name, she is not even a celebrity or a politician like some lady,s u know that have achieved alot in our society today no but just because her family have small money, so my good people please think well before u answer me this question, is there any thing wrong if a lady chooses to keep her family,s name alive?, for example if the guys name is tony onyeganu, and the lady's name is esther akamuoku, and after their wedding she will wan't t be addressed as esther akamuoku onyeganu, hmmm to be sincere i don't see any thin wrong about it, even if my family kicked against it i will make them see reasons t asept it, but to many people out there its not accepted, although in the olding days no matter your family,s background ones u mary u drop ur father,s surname and use only ur husband,s surname, but not like that any more, so please ur comment as a matured person will help even some other people out there who have the same challenge, thank u.
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Sep 22, 2013
I gbadu your grammar jawe

3 Likes

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 22, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nomski0(f): 9:46pm On Sep 22, 2013
I'd love to bear my dad's name jointly with my husband's surname. But if my husband disagrees....no problem, i'll forget about it. Its not a do or die affair na

6 Likes

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 22, 2013
Nonso23: As far as my kids bear my surname only I have no problem with that..... undecided

Couldn't agree more cheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 22, 2013
Nonso23: As far as my kids bear my surname only I have no problem with that..... undecided
seconded!!!
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Gabrielsylar(m): 9:49pm On Sep 22, 2013
Publish dis post in guardian or new nigerian newspaper
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Sep 22, 2013
Nomski0: I'd love to bear my dad's name jointly with my husband's surname. But if my husband disagrees....no problem, i'll forget about it. Its not a do or die affair na

been trying to get thru to u. hope u don't mind, buh I'm taking ur signature personal. can we be chaty frnds
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by nekaa(f): 9:58pm On Sep 22, 2013
The lady is in no hurry tu get married, cause if she is, this won't be an issue... .. Then the dude should adjust now, it nt like she refused tu add his name tu hers....
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Sep 22, 2013
Lmao
maxwello.yg:
I gbadu your grammar jawe
@ topic,there's nothing wrong with it
Just that some men can be so insecure about such things.
As long as she's adding his name to hers,I think the person with a problem is the lady even who has to deal with multiple names.
But well different strokes for different folks.
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 22, 2013
What is my business with what my wife decides to be called?
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by eyenCalabar(m): 10:22pm On Sep 22, 2013
It's very wrong for any woman to still choose to bear her former names while married. She should understand that the thing is like a change of ownership kind of because a bride price was paid and the parents accepted it. Again, it doesn't just make sense still using your old names. For instance, if you were formerly called Gloria Bob and now you are married, you don't expect to be called Mrs. Bob rather Mrs. Tony (e.g. Tony being your husband's name), it wouldn't just make sense. It'll appear as if you were married to your father. Reason that!

2 Likes

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Sep 22, 2013
Change of ownership?

Are u ok?

You own your wife?as if u can create a human being.

Mtchew.her father who gave her life n her mother too won't even claim they own her
How much more u.some random stranger from nowhere.who met her when shes grown and because she wants to spend the rest of her life with you,you now own her!

You need a brain re-boot.
eyenCalabar: It's very wrong for any woman to still choose to bear his former names while married. She should understand that the thing is like a change of ownership kind of because a bride price was paid and the parents accepted it. Again, it doesn't just make sense still using your old names. For instance, if you were formerly called Gloria Bob and now you are married, you don't expect to be called Mrs. Bob rather Mrs. Tony (e.g. Tony being your husband's name), it wouldn't just make sense. It'll appear as if you were married to your father. Reason that!

7 Likes

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by bigfrancis21: 11:40pm On Sep 22, 2013
I see nothing wrong in the lady answering her husband's name alongside her father's name. I've noticed that any married lady who retains her father's surname shows she has pride for the family where she comes from. I'm of the opinion that married females retain their father's surname while adopting their husband's surnames to at least retain their identity of where they come from. I've even told my only sister severally not to dare drop our sweet family surname when she gets married or...cheesy cheesy

Many ladies nowadays are doing same. For example, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Kim Kardashian West, Khloe Kardashian Odom, Stella Damascus Aboderin(that was before her husband died) etc.
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Sep 22, 2013
Larryfly:

been trying to get thru to u. hope u don't mind, buh I'm taking ur signature personal. can we be chaty frnds
are yuh toastin her on nairaland?
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 23, 2013
Nomski0: I'd love to bear my dad's name jointly with my husband's surname. But if my husband disagrees....no problem, i'll forget about it. Its not a do or die affair na
God bless you for this comment, this is an open minded person and not some person whom I smell might rock their 40's answering Miss Adanne. This is an open discussion, give reasons why you want to include your father surname? Its not a do or die affair. If we strictly want to abolish what has been the very tradition and want to start the modern fabricated ones out of share polluted toughts of male/female equality. Then why not also tell your parents its bride price only and not all those irreponsible list he's be subjected to. If those Umunna and Adanne have collected their share as well and the rest too have requested their own share as well and with the ego every man has, he'll definately want you to drop that surname. Well, as for me on a very serious note, I wouldn't allow my wife keep her fathers name. They say 2 to become one and not 2 to become two. We have to start our own family. But if she insist, then she would have to be ready to give me reason as to why and as well we have to look into the bride price issue, cos I will not also be open minded about it.

1 Like

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 23, 2013
lorretta u: Change of ownership?

Are u ok?

Mtchew.her father who gave her life n her mother too won't even claim they own her
How much more u.some random stranger from nowhere.who met her when shes grown and because she wants to spend the rest of her life with you,you now own her!

Just imagine your response as woman you will call yourself. You've actually lost your sense of respect, if you can't see peoples opinion about an issue and give your without subjecting the person opinion to insults. You'll also call your husband some random stranger with your loosed uncontrollable mouth. Try to have some respect in your post. You re the person who needs a brain re-boot.

11 Likes

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by bknight: 8:59am On Sep 23, 2013
Firstname: B
Lastname: Knight

Once I start a family, I become Mr B-Knight. My son is Mr Ade B-Knight. My wife wants to call herself Mrs Yemi Alakija-B-Knight? grin. (From where alakija take jump enter d equation? An extended family name inside my nuclear family? Mba! I refuse!)

Our educated sisters should talk to their kinsmen to review d idea of bride price else many things will remain the way tradition has it done.
I won't pay bride price to ur father for you to coin his name into mine.

If u want to leave ur father and mother and be one with me then be done with it already!. Or why even use my name at all? Lol...girls want every indication that they are married but still wanmt to have their cake grin

I'd rather u continue with ur own father's name than coin his name with a 'stranger' undecided

7 Likes

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 9:17am On Sep 23, 2013
^^^^ grin God bless you @bknight. You just spoke my mind exactly. You can't eat your cake and still have it. grin

1 Like

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by eyenCalabar(m): 11:18am On Sep 23, 2013
lorretta u: Change of ownership?

Are u ok?

You are just ranting for nothing. Expressing your lack of understanding. I said "it's a kind of" and NOT the way you interpreted it. Work that out.

1 Like

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by ITbomb(m): 11:37am On Sep 23, 2013
A woman shall leave his father and mother. . . ., that includes leaving ' father's name'.
Problems and question like this arises when people neglect the word of God in their marriage and life

6 Likes

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by UjSizzle(f): 11:51am On Sep 23, 2013
If it's important she bears her parents' name alongside her husband's for justifiable reasons then i don't see what's wrong. African men have issues sha making a big deal outta nothing undecided
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Dovahkiin(m): 12:05pm On Sep 23, 2013
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Sep 23, 2013
banega: are yuh toastin her on nairaland?

chaiiiiii........u mustn't mk it dah obvious naaaa....dem send u?

1 Like

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 23, 2013
uj_sizzle: If it's important she bears her parents' name alongside her husband's for justifiable reasons then i don't see what's wrong. African men have issues sha making a big deal outta nothing undecided
Well like you've rightly said. If its important. I would be glad to know the importance, I'm open mided about it, but what if the reasons are not cogent enough? What if she wants to retain it for inheritance purpose? That means she's looking down on me that I can't be greater than her father? I want to know reasons why? Is it love for the family? Or just sign she wants to show equality between men/women? I just want to get it. I'm not biased. I'm curious, I need reasons why the need to coin my name and her father name just to get a mixed identity. Ladies, should also be working towards telling their parents to stop this outrageous bride price collection from their husband, they should also fight for the review of those barbaric demands. If you want to be modern then we have to do away with anything traditionalgrin
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Sep 23, 2013
uj_sizzle: If it's important she bears her parents' name alongside her husband's for justifiable reasons then i don't see what's wrong. African men have issues sha making a big deal outta nothing undecided
Well like you've rightly said. If its important. I would be glad to know the importance, I'm open mided about it, but what if the reasons are not cogent enough? What if she wants to retain it for inheritance purpose? That means she's looking down on me that I can't be greater than her father? I want to know reasons why? Is it love for the family? Or just sign she wants to show equality between men/women? I just want to get it. I'm not biased. I'm curious, I need reasons why the need to coin my name and her father name just to get a mixed identity. Ladies, should also be working towards telling their parents to stop this outrageous bride price collection from their husband, they should also fight for the review of those barbaric demands. If you want to be modern then we have to do away with anything traditionalgrin
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Monicasque(f): 12:34pm On Sep 23, 2013
This is not a big issue as many ladies nowadays do use a double barrel surname just as long as the kids only take their father's surname
Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by ejiykzazi2007(m): 12:56pm On Sep 23, 2013
I just dey laf for dia name... Esther Akamuoku. lol...

1 Like

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 23, 2013
slimmy05: Just imagine your response as woman you will call yourself. You've actually lost your sense of respect, if you can't see peoples opinion about an issue and give your without subjecting the person opinion to insults. You'll also call your husband some random stranger with your loosed uncontrollable mouth. Try to have some respect in your post. You re the person who needs a brain re-boot.
my hubby isn't complaining.
So I suggest you go hug the nearest transformer.
If his calling his marriage a change of ownership and that doesn't sound rude to you,then I don't know why mine should sound rude to you.

All these men with complex looking down their noses at women.you deserve whatever you get.cos I won't be rude to a normal self respecting man.
See your mouth.I lost my sense of respect but you're the one who has his sense intact abi?seeing you wife as a property you own is part of respect ba?u think u deserve respect?
No just provoke me

If I tell u what I really want to right now,you'll regret opening this thread!
ITbomb: A woman shall leave his father and mother. . . ., that includes leaving ' father's name'.
Problems and question like this arises when people neglect the word of God in their marriage and life
actually in the bible,it states "a man shall leave his parents and cleave to His wife." That's d exact way it is stated in d bible.get that right.before u start tooting horn as if na u sabi bible pass.

3 Likes

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 23, 2013
lorretta u: my hubby isn't complaining.
So I suggest you go hug the nearest transformer.
If his calling his marriage a change of ownership and that doesn't sound rude to you,then I don't know why mine should sound rude to you.

All these men with complex looking down their noses at women.you deserve whatever you get.cos I won't be rude to a normal self respecting man.
See your mouth.I lost my sense of respect but you're the one who has his sense intact abi?seeing you wife as a property you own is part of respect ba?u think u deserve respect?
No just provoke me

If I tell u what I really want to right now,you'll regret opening this thread!actually in the bible,it states "a man shall leave his parents and cleave to His wife." That's d exact way it is stated in d bible.get that right.before u start tooting horn as if na u sabi bible pass.
I'm waiting for that poo you want to say. I don't even have your time. Low self esteem is disturbing you, you need a psychologist to have your brain re-examined and who dash this you self acclaimed husband. Keep dreaming, keep dreaming. They'll still come back here and open a thread for single women.. Hahaha. You just come up here to derail a peaceful thread meant to share ideas devoid of insults. I wonder a man that will harbour an uncultured woman as you. I wish men come to see how their future wives misbehave on nairaland. You want equality, then also pay husband grooms price. That is one honour given to men alone, which shows a lot of respect for male folks. Females too have their respect, but don't subject it to a debate.

6 Likes

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 23, 2013
I feel the guy should be bold and go beyond issuing threats. That certainly couldn't have been their first encounter on the issue. Why did he have to wait till now to resolve it? Perhaps he is a weakling and adopted the idea long ago. Maybe his friends or family may have cautioned him only recently. Perhaps also he receives certain ''porridge'' gifts from the girl's family and may have sold his rights.

Women and their power plays. Any man that succumbs to such manipulation is automatically given 2nd position in the family. How can a man be a subordinate in such union? It sounds really awkward.

In my opinion, if a woman is not willing to leave her father's house (and name), then she is not ready for marriage. Oha! This is not a matter of bride price sef. Due process or absconding, she has to drop the name. It's not negotiable.

4 Likes

Re: Can This Be An Issue In Marriage? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 23, 2013
Lol.I forgot it's you.just one minute I checked d handle,and I remembered you.
Why are always so bitter? cheesy grin

Lmao @self acclaimed husband.
Don't worry I'll reserve a place for you as a servant boy in my wedding.you'll be picking rose petals and throwing at my feet.
just hang on buddy
And together with my first daughter we'll be reading your thread on NL about how u can't find any good woman to marry at the age of 60+

Of course it's a peaceful thread as long as women are being put down.

All these low self esteem dudes self.think that belittling women is the only way to show your manhood.if you're man enough,your manhood won't need advertising.
I'm done wasting my time replying you.
Save ur MB
I'm off d thread..
slimmy05: I'm waiting for that poo you want to say. I don't even have your time. Low self esteem is disturbing you, you need a psychologist to have your brain re-examined and who dash this you self acclaimed husband. Keep dreaming, keep dreaming. They'll still come back here and open a thread for single women.. Hahaha. You just come up here to derail a peaceful thread meant to share ideas devoid of insults. I wonder a man that will harbour an uncultured woman as you. I wish men come to see how their future wives misbehave on nairaland. You want equality, then also pay husband grooms price. That is one honour given to men alone, which shows a lot of respect for male folks. Females too have their respect, but don't subject it to a debate.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

They Say I'm Troll But Be Secretly Crushing And Sending Me Pms Smh(scrnshot) / Why Are Short Ladies So Endowed? / Which Jollof Are You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.