Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,175 members, 7,807,566 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script (21435 Views)

Wildfire - A Short Film Script / Nigerian Horror Film Trailer: KPIANS - The Feast Of Souls / Nigerian Horror Movies Are More Scary Than American Horror Movies! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 4:59am On Sep 24, 2013
speedyboi: I will be back tomorrow cool
Ok then.
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by prof800(m): 6:12am On Sep 24, 2013
@tony yayo
-It was good of you to have made those observations.
-I understand you quite well.
We are all learning to become better.
-But, Let's first take our mind off niaja producers and concentrate on international competitions and festivals.
---
So let's take it down bits by bits so that other people can also learn.
---
-:First any short has the potential of becoming a feature. And there are many box office movies out there that were originally conceived as shorts.
---
-:The screenplay above has no resemblance to a stageplay.
-:Also, what sholay has written is a spec script not a shooting script.
-:And you must have learnt from screenwriting101 that a spec script should never contain elements of the shooting script. Just so they can be differentiated.
---
-:The people who said "Show. Don't Tell" didn't mean it was all about writing 'we see' or 'SHOTS'.
-:Showing a story in a screenplay is all about THE CHOICE OF WORDS.
-What this means is that instead of writing "A Dirty Room" in your action line for example, you should write words like "an empty can of beer on the floor, scrumpled papers etc"; words that with give the reader a general picture of the scenery (A Dirty, unkempt room). This is what 'Showing' means. Whoever told you otherwise should be questioned.
---
-:When writing spec scripts, it is conventional to avoid adding elements of shooting scripts like Camera angles, Shots, Cuts or editing notes. The spec script is the one that is mostly submitted to festivals&competitions and it is sometimes called a 'virgin.'
-:If SHOTS are to be inserted in spec scripts, it has to be important and totally unavoidable. e.g; Shots like John's POV, C/U, INSERT, etc can sometimes be unavoidable. Also "DISSOLVE TO" can be used with subtlety to 'show' time transitions or time lapses. Like sholay could have used in "11mnths after". But a spec script cannot be axed for not using 'shots' in competitions/festivals. NEVER!
---
tony yayo, I've seen your work and I know you're very talented.
Don't worry we shall all get better.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by prof800(m): 7:12am On Sep 24, 2013
@sholay2011
Let's go over a few things together. I know you're already past this. But let's revise the basics together again.
This is just so you know when someone is advicing you 'on point' or 'off point'.
So lets talk about 'VISUAL' which has been pointed out by someone.
-:Okay, this script of yours can actually become a classic on NL. I hope to be able to use villageboi's 'mothering heights' and this one(when re-written/edited) as references when doing script-chat on NL.
---
-:They say "a screenplay must be written visually." WHY?
-:The reason is that a 'film' is a visual medium. And a screenplay is the blueprint of the film it will one day become. So if the so called 'blueprint' is not visual how will the medium be visual?
---
-:They say "as a screenwriter, you must 'SHOW' what is happening in a story, rather than tell." BUT HOW?
-:It can be done by writing what your audience will SEE and what they will HEAR.
-:So just write; THE PICTURES, THE SOUNDS (a bang!, thud! etc), THE SPEECHES (dialogue), and THE ACTIONS.
-:Now using 'mothering heights' as a reference, this are the elements you see the writer of that short film used effectively.
-:Now this is just basics. Those who have found their voices don't even use the basic rules these festival people are taking so seriously. E.g Tarantino writes without obeying some conventional rules and still wins Oscars for it.
---
That's all.!
You're very good...if ar fit write like you ehn...charlie kauffman for dey fear me.
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by VillageBoi(m): 7:21am On Sep 24, 2013
^ ^ ^ ^
All very... very well said @ Prof.
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 7:51am On Sep 24, 2013
@ Villageboi and prof...Thank you very much. I appreciate. smiley
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 24, 2013
prof800: @tony yayo
-It was good of you to have made those observations.
-I understand you quite well.
We are all learning to become better.
-But, Let's first take our mind off niaja producers and concentrate on international competitions and festivals.
---
So let's take it down bits by bits so that other people can also learn.
---
-:First any short has the potential of becoming a feature. And there are many box office movies out there that were originally conceived as shorts.
---
-:The screenplay above has no resemblance to a stageplay.
-:Also, what sholay has written is a spec script not a shooting script.
-:And you must have learnt from screenwriting101 that a spec script should never contain elements of the shooting script. Just so they can be differentiated.
---
-:The people who said "Show. Don't Tell" didn't mean it was all about writing 'we see' or 'SHOTS'.
-:Showing a story in a screenplay is all about THE CHOICE OF WORDS.
-What this means is that instead of writing "A Dirty Room" in your action line for example, you should write words like "an empty can of beer on the floor, scrumpled papers etc"; words that with give the reader a general picture of the scenery (A Dirty, unkempt room). This is what 'Showing' means. Whoever told you otherwise should be questioned.
---
-:When writing spec scripts, it is conventional to avoid adding elements of shooting scripts like Camera angles, Shots, Cuts or editing notes. The spec script is the one that is mostly submitted to festivals&competitions and it is sometimes called a 'virgin.'
-:If SHOTS are to be inserted in spec scripts, it has to be important and totally unavoidable. e.g; Shots like John's POV, C/U, INSERT, etc can sometimes be unavoidable. Also "DISSOLVE TO" can be used with subtlety to 'show' time transitions or time lapses. Like sholay could have used in "11mnths after". But a spec script cannot be axed for not using 'shots' in competitions/festivals. NEVER!
---
tony yayo, I've seen your work and I know you're very talented.
Don't worry we shall all get better.
Noted, oga prof.
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by k10: 7:22pm On Sep 24, 2013
I think the mother part is confusing could have been better for Mary and the mother not to be in good terms than not knowing she was her mother-in-law

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by spade: 7:51pm On Sep 24, 2013
Hmmmm... Not bad, Sholay. cool
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by Megaflex(m): 7:55pm On Sep 24, 2013
Nyc one Sholay
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 8:05pm On Sep 24, 2013
spade: Hmmmm... Not bad, Sholay. cool
Spade tongue hw u dey? Lng tym. Tnx for d comment.
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 8:06pm On Sep 24, 2013
Megaflex: Nyc one Sholay
Tnx very much bro. smiley
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by lanlokunomolara: 8:12pm On Sep 24, 2013
guy,u ar too much... continue representin prof sholay
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 8:17pm On Sep 24, 2013
lanlokunomolara: guy,u ar too much... continue representin prof sholay
Lol. Tnx very much dear. cheesy
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by 4C2215131: 8:18pm On Sep 24, 2013
Classic Nollywood script. Nice effort though.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 8:25pm On Sep 24, 2013
4C2215131: Classic Nollywood script. Nice effort though.
Tnx. I appreciate.
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by StateOfMind: 8:36pm On Sep 24, 2013
sholay2011: @SOM!!...I see you oh wink

Was waiting for it to hit fp before passing my comment. tongue

...Even though the story made me cringe a little, I enjoyed it as a 'layman' cos it was well written wink

Nice effort cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by Nobody: 8:41pm On Sep 24, 2013
This quote summeried the whole story,so on point.
"What should scare you isn't evil itself; but rather, the fact that the closest person to you may be capable of doing it"
this touched me and I almost forgot that it wasn't real,getting all emotional for mary.
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by lynx200(m): 8:57pm On Sep 24, 2013
Nice one Sholay. Just keep on practicing your writing craft and you will get better. The story is good though it could be better.
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 8:59pm On Sep 24, 2013
sexytabhi: This quote summeried the whole story,so on point.

this touched me and I almost forgot that it wasn't real,getting all emotional for mary.
Tnx v much. I appreciate. Don't get too emotional oh...lol.
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 8:59pm On Sep 24, 2013
lynx200: Nice one Sholay. Just keep on practicing your writing craft and you will get better. The story is good though it could be better.
Tnx very much bro. God bless.
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by Tayeni(m): 9:24pm On Sep 24, 2013
k10: I think the mother part is confusing could have been better for Mary and the mother not to be in good terms than not knowing she was her mother-in-law
thank you! Although I enjoyed reading it but I couldn't place a finger on what was wrong wt it until I read ur comment.......Mary not knwing madam Q was her mother unlaw is a hard sell......its not believable to me. They've lived in d same estate 4 atleast 4years and must hv had mutual friends or neighbors.......I'm not literary, I'm just a consumer yet I spotted that loophole.
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by ekwurekwu(m): 9:28pm On Sep 24, 2013
I love this, though predictable. The ending was fanstatic! Kudos!
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 9:36pm On Sep 24, 2013
Tayeni: thank you! Although I enjoyed reading it but I couldn't place a finger on what was wrong wt it until I read ur comment.......Mary not knwing madam Q was her mother unlaw is a hard sell......its not believable to me. They've lived in d same estate 4 atleast 4years and must hv had mutual friends or neighbors.......I'm not literary, I'm just a consumer yet I spotted that loophole.
Lol. Tnx for d comment. 4 miscarriages don't necessarily mean 4 years wink Besides, Madam Q knew what she was doing when she refused to identify wiv her 'daughter-in-law' 'cos she saw her as just a sacrificial lamb for d moment while a new wife wud be the real deal. Her priority was her son's interest.

Btw, it's an horror story...vampires too are never real. wink
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 9:37pm On Sep 24, 2013
ekwurekwu: I love this, though predictable. The ending was fanstatic! Kudos!
Tnx bro. I appreciate. smiley
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by kayswag100(m): 10:08pm On Sep 24, 2013
Nice one guy.

safe for a few grammatical errors I can't all point out, you are sound. Your use of English appears impressive.

... but don't you think putting your work here leaves it open to plagiarists? I have an experience with that sort of thing. ...
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by sholay2011(m): 11:02pm On Sep 24, 2013
kayswag100: Nice one guy.

safe for a few grammatical errors I can't all point out, you are sound. Your use of English appears impressive.

... but don't you think putting your work here leaves it open to plagiarists? I have an experience with that sort of thing. ...
Thanks bro for your comment. I would try going through the script once again to correct such errors.

And for me to put any script on a public forum, I am not really keen on a personal use of it 'cos I see it as a way of improving one's craft.

Tnx for ur advice. Well-noted.
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by Ikamenze(m): 11:16pm On Sep 24, 2013
sholay2011:
I appreciate your feedback bro. Thanks.

Its a not perfect bro......there's nothing like a perfect script..

This is my observation.
- You made use of too many Parentheses..
- You need to work on your DIALOGUE..it has to at least sound realistic..try reading it out loud next tym..
-You didn't exactly stick to the “show,don't tell” rule in your narration...and there was too many unnecessary info in it like....(They are eating white rice and stew with juice to wash it down// Mary is wearing Ankara)...

I know you were trying to paint a vivid picture but the way I see it,and this applies to all writers in d house, No matter how hard you try to be vivid or should I say precise with your descriptions,at the end of the day,its really up to the READER'S IMAGINATION...when a character is introduced,let's say MARY for instance,you can say she's tall and fair in complexion with curly hair but in d reader's head,he or she may have already pictured Mary to be short and dark and dats how he's going to see Mary till the end...the question you should ask yourself is,does Mary's height and complexion really do anything for the story? Does it add or remove anything to the storyline? If it doesn't,then why add it? D way I see it,If it doesn't have any direct impact to d story,then it shouldn't be there
I took tym to explain this part cos a lot of writers get so caught up in d minor details dat they forget the important stuff..

But all the same,nice effort...keep writing,keep studying,that's the only way you can get better...I've bn writing screenplays for 3yrs and I'm no where near perfect....we are all leaning..

I would like to commend the mods....this is the second screenplay dat has made it to front page in less than a week..pls keep it up...hopefully wen I post mine 2morow,it will make front page too..lol....

@villageboi..I'm shocked really,I was expecting some harsh criticisms from you...I thought you were gonna give him the same treatment you gave me when I made my first post......Have you gone soft or is shola a close friend of urs,u don't wanna hurt his feelings ryt? Lol......
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by atlbj: 11:16pm On Sep 24, 2013
Fantastic write up! Keep at it Sholay2011, i see a bright future for Nollywood with you as the most sought after script writer. smiley
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by Cestmoi1(f): 11:22pm On Sep 24, 2013
I was just playing and imagining it in my head while i was reading it.Nice one!
Re: Nigerian Horror Story- A Short Film Script by Nobody: 11:54pm On Sep 24, 2013
WHY DONT U MAKE MADAM Q TURN INTO A DRAGON OR SOMETHING HORRIBLE THEN EAT UP EVERYONE IN THE HOUSE THEN BURNS DOWN THE HOUSE WITH HER BREATH B4 FLYING OFF SCREECHING

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mr Ibu Vs Osuofia: Who Is A Better Movie Comedian? / Samsung To Sell TV's With Free Satellite Channels In Africa / Nigeria Cinema Etiquette

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.